Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2003, 06:21 PM   #1
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

Pistons & Respect?????

Everyone on this board (that knows anyhting about the game of basketball) would know that the Pistons really are UNDER-RATED. No one except Pistons fans give them a chance to do anything, and time after time, we prove the doubters wrong, still they doubt. Everyone says we need a superstar, frankly, we dont. If you guard one person, another person steps up, so on...and so on...With 1 superstar, if u shut him down its over. Saying that how many of u peeps out there feel the Pistons are legit threats and do deserve respect. Or are u gonna jump on the Fred Carter bandwagon and diss em' until they shock the world!!

mrbuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 06:33 PM   #2
cmp
Pro Rookie

Sorry Buttercup, even the people on this board won't give the Pistons respect. The critics don't give us respect and the average fans find our style of basketball boring. Since they see it as boring they don't think of us as a good team. People would rather see a superstar over a team of solid players. But I'd much rather have a team of about 2 or 3 real good players and 7 or 8 good players then a team with 1 great player and about 3 or 4 good players.

Last edited by cmp : 05-15-2003 at 06:37 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 06:34 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

I guessing have the Pistons lose in the Championship game to whoever the West sends is a rather prestigious ending
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:01 PM   #4
sooner333
College Starter

Well, I think Detroit is the only team that can defeat one of the West teams, but it wont be the Spurs. However, the way they play defense will allow them to stay in the games. We all know how defense wins championships, so if the Pistons make it, we could be in for an interesting Finals. If not, 4 or 5 and out. Go Mavericks, my second favorite team (having the Warriors as my favorite team makes it necessary to have a second favorite to root for in the playoffs).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:04 PM   #5
Calis
College Starter

I'll give the Pistons respect for being a good team, even the best in the East. They definitely are a change of pace from the norm for today's league, I enjoy watching them.

That being said, any of the 4 teams in the West I'd pick over Detroit in the finals.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:25 PM   #6
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Re: Pistons & Respect?????

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup
Everyone on this board (that knows anyhting about the game of basketball) would know that the Pistons really are UNDER-RATED. No one except Pistons fans give them a chance to do anything, and time after time, we prove the doubters wrong, still they doubt. Everyone says we need a superstar, frankly, we dont. If you guard one person, another person steps up, so on...and so on...With 1 superstar, if u shut him down its over. Saying that how many of u peeps out there feel the Pistons are legit threats and do deserve respect. Or are u gonna jump on the Fred Carter bandwagon and diss em' until they shock the world!!

If you mean lack of respect as in people picking them to lose every playoff series they have been in the last two years, then yes, there may be a lack of respect there. But let's be honest, while they have a number of good players, the overall talent level on the team is not really that much better, at this point, than most of the other teams in the East, and far below the top four in the West. The east was VERY close in talent this year, I don't see a huge difference in talent amongst the top six playoff teams in the East this year.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:56 PM   #7
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

sooner333 u are my hero
Old 05-15-2003, 07:58 PM   #8
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

DETROIT IN 6 over the lakers.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:00 PM   #9
vtbub
College Starter

You all sound like a bunch of whiny Raider fans, we get no respect, waaa waaaa.

Win the East first.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 08:15 PM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Sixers in 7
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 08:22 PM   #11
cmp
Pro Rookie

Your getting on my nerves Shorty. Sixers? Come on, you can't pick them!
Old 05-15-2003, 09:04 PM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Sixers in 7

Fuck off.

(edited in a smiley to soften the blow)

Last edited by Schmidty : 05-15-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:14 PM   #13
korme
Go Reds

I thought I'd get some feedback..

Allen Iverson is THE man. Heart of a lion, or something similarly full of hearty heart goodness.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:00 PM   #14
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sixers in 7

Go Sixers...
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:00 PM   #15
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Go Tampa Bay Devil Rays
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 05-15-2003, 10:02 PM   #16
cmp
Pro Rookie

Qwikshot better shut up. No one can say anything good about the Sixers or want them to win.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:04 PM   #17
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Uh...go to Philly and say that...it isn't over till its over...and don't tell me to shut up, it is alright to root for a team regardless of stance...I can respect your view on Detroit, but you better respect mine for Philly, even if Philly goes home...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 05-15-2003, 10:16 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Go Sixers!!! It will be the AI show in game 6 and then we'll see who's got the heart in game 7, hopefully the rest of the team can make up for Van Horn's lack of one.

Shouldn't the Pistons actually win something before you start whining about not getting respect.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:41 PM   #19
korme
Go Reds

Funny part is, oh I don't know, not to start anything, but you guys are pulling Tracy 'I'm already in the 2nd round' McGrady comments here..
Old 05-16-2003, 01:14 AM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

The Mavs killed the Pistons both times they played this year. Beat the Mavs and I'll give you some respect...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:59 AM   #21
ACStrider
High School JV

I respect the Pistons. If there's any Cinderella team remaining, I would pick them. I'm a realist, though. The glaring strength of the Pistons is their team defence and their ability to flex to every style they come across. Big Ben is a haus (picked him up/traded for him 2 straight years on my fantasy team...MVP for my team both years).

Here's the problem, though...
They don't have a good transition offense, (Dallas' greatest weakness). Match that up with the fact that their team rebounding isn't solid, and you have just taken away the biggest problems to the Mavericks.

Detroit vs. Dallas is the toughest matchup of the remaining teams I believe.

Detroit has been able to be successful in the East in part due to a HUGE lack of dominant centers. The only teams who arguably could claim solid centers would be Indiana and Cleveland. Wallace, as fierce a defender as he is, gets away with his play in part because he rarely is matching up against true centers. Even in the case of Indiana, both Jermaine O'Neal and Brad Miller are not true centers either...more of a power forward type. The combination of Duncan and Robinson is really too much for the undersided defense of Detroit.

Against Sacramento it could get interesting. I believe that the greatest chance for Detroit is against Sac town. Losing Webber is a huge blow to the Kings. Divac is nowhere near the player he used to be and the biggest weakness of the increadible depth to the kings is in the power positions. Keon Clark, Funderburke, Pollard, and others can fill in (mostly defensively) but really provide no serious threat. The problems come when you look at the ability of Sac to play such solid team offense and defense. They have so many options on offense and they play so well together that even for a team like Detroit, it is difficult to contain. Where i see a problem for Detroit is the inability to capitolize on the rare opportunities that Sacramento does give you.

All in all, there is one underlying problem for the Pistons. They don't have shooters who have no minuses. Berry, Atkins, Billups are all unrelyable. Hamilton is the best offensive option they have, but after him it gets hazy. Wallace has never been able to step it up on the offensive end (if he ever does, it will be SCARY). Okur is developing, but he still has a long way to go. I say give Detroit a year or two to get some serious offensive threats and they may be a serious rival to the best of the west, but for now, my money is with any of the remaining three in the west.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:11 AM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

GO SIXERS!!!

Iverson is going to dominate game 6 and 7, I just know it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:34 PM   #23
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I like the Piston Its like a FOF dynasty story .
Old 05-16-2003, 10:24 PM   #24
cmp
Pro Rookie

Maybe now we'll get a little more respect. Probably not though. People will say we're the worst team ever to make the Conference Finals. It won't matter how good we do we'll still have no respect.

I wonder what Bill Walton, Fred Carter and Charles Barkley will say now. Probably the same thing they did the last two rounds. We're not as good, we have no offense, we can't win. We'll show them up again.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:33 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

"Iverson is going to dominate game 6 and 7, I just know it. "

Really...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:34 PM   #26
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

The Sixers got robbed though. With seconds left and leading by 2, Snow gets a BS foul called against him and Detroit gets the 2 free throws sending it to OT. There was no foul, Snow stripped it cleanly. (And this is coming from someone who does not liek the Sixers...)

Oh well, not liek I care. I hate pro basketball.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:37 PM   #27
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
dola,

The Sixers got robbed though. With seconds left and leading by 2, Snow gets a BS foul called against him and Detroit gets the 2 free throws sending it to OT. There was no foul, Snow stripped it cleanly. (And this is coming from someone who does not liek the Sixers...)

That's ok, makes up for the dozen BS calls the Sixers got throughout the game. NBA officiating is a joke, no more so than in this game.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:38 PM   #28
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
There was no foul, Snow stripped it cleanly. (And this is coming from someone who does not liek the Sixers...)

Cleanly? I didn't know you could grab someone's hand and pull it away to make a steal. Man, I need to study up on the rules I guess.

Also, I didn't realize you were allowed to stop dribbling between the free throw and 3 points lines and then go make a layup and not get a travel called. Oh wait, it's Allen Iverson. He can do what he wants.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:41 PM   #29
sabotai
General Manager

"That's ok, makes up for the dozen BS calls the Sixers got throughout the game. NBA officiating is a joke, no more so than in this game."

I admit I didn't see the whole game, so I don't doubt this. And I really don't doubt that officiating in the NBA overall is horrendous.

And why am I not surprised. I mention that non-foul at the end of the game, and a Pistons fan comes out all pissed off at what I said.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I didn't mean you ice.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-16-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:46 PM   #30
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Fouls in the NBA are a lot like holding penalties in the NFL. You can probably find one on just about every trip up the court if you are looking for it. That being said, NBA refs do seem to miss a number of pretty obvious ones, especially when it is one of the league 'superstars' involved. However there were plenty of bad calls going either way this evening. Iverson gets a bunch of calls his way every game, but Van Horn gets fouls called against him when he's two feet away from the guy he's defending. In the end I guess it usually evens out, but wouldn't it be better if it evened out by them making the correct calls?

Edit: no problem Sab

Last edited by ice4277 : 05-16-2003 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:49 PM   #31
sabotai
General Manager

ice, it's funny you shoudl equate it to holding in the NFL. That's exactly what I was thinking when I watched part of that game tonight.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:54 PM   #32
cmp
Pro Rookie

It did look like football out there when Iverson would tuck the ball under his arm and stiff arm people on his way to the lane.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:58 PM   #33
Vince
Pro Starter

Man, didn't see this thread earlier.

I like the Pistons. I am officially a Pistons bandwagoner this playoff series. Now, before I get jumped on for bandwagoning...

1) I'm a Warriors fan.
2) I live in SoCal, where everyone and their mother is a Kings or Lakers fan.
3) I've decided that even though I'm originally from NorCal, and everyone from there is a Kings fan because the Warriors suck, that I dislike the Kings greatly.

That being said, I don't want any team from the West to win. Realistically, I don't think that the Pistons are going to do it (win in the finals, that is). But I agree with sooner...they're the only Eastern Conference team that I believe has a chance.

Go Pistons!
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:37 PM   #34
sabotai
General Manager

"It did look like football out there when Iverson would tuck the ball under his arm and stiff arm people on his way to the lane."

LMAO...yeah, I'm sure that happened.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:19 AM   #35
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Sixers in 7

Sorry.