Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

How much do you spend on groceries each week

How much do you spend on groceries (on average) each week? How many people do you have to buy for?

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-08-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

We spend around $500 a month although that includes things like cleaning supplies, cat food, etc.

3 people.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

4 people, varies between $400 and $600 / month depending on how much we end up eating out (usually when running errands).
Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

4 people

2 labs

$600-$650/month

Go shopping usually once sometimes twice/month
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
4 people

2 labs

$600-$650/month

Go shopping usually once sometimes twice/month

I envy people who are able to do this.... seems like I'm in the grocery store 2-3 times a week getting various things. I would say we (wife/myself/17 month old) spend about $120 a week - we stock up on chicken when it is on sale so once in a while it's more than that.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
WheelsVT
High School JV

Good question. Poll?

$500 or so here. Plus $70-$100 eating out. 2 adults, 2 young kids.

I remember being in college and budgeting $160/month for myself, but that was 6-8yrs ago.
WheelsVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

ABout $100-125 a week for 4.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

$400-500/mo. That's for my wife and I, and we also have dinner once a week with my father, and prepare him a crock pot to eat during the week. That's also 3 cats.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

Generally $40 or so a week, but I'm just shopping for 1 and I have no pets.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
... prepare him a crock pot to eat during the week. That's also 3 cats.

Well, I guess it's cheaper than roast beef or something more conventional.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
path12
Coordinator

Now that it's just Ms.path and I we spend around $125 per week. But Ms.path does love to entertain, the average would be lower if I was just counting our meals.

Before my stepson went to college it was more around $200.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm around the same as most people here. 120-150/week including farmers markets for our fruit/veggies. We have two cats but I get big bags of Science Diet which last a good month or two.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'd say $200 a week - 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs, and a cat. Usually $150 or so during the main shopping outing, and then another $40+ at other stores during the rest of the week.

EDIT to clarify that "grocery shopping" includes all household-type items - saline, shampoo, cleaning supplies, detergent, etc.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-08-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Well, I guess it's cheaper than roast beef or something more conventional.
HAH

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd say just under $50 a week for myself. I've been trying to buy chicken breasts and frozen fruits at CostCo to save some money.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

about $150 or so a week, family of 4.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
lurker
High School JV

We've budged $300 a month (kind of randomly chose that number and haven't done anything to stick to it) for two people and have hit almost exactly that over the last year. So I guess that's about $70 a week.

Last edited by lurker : 07-08-2009 at 02:30 PM.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Groceries(food)-
I dunno, something like 60-75 bucks per week for the 4 of us. Maybe a bit more(say 30-40 bucks/month) for stuff like shampoo, catfood, etc.

We also usually order pizza one day a week as well(12bucks or so)

I ususally go Sams and get lots of frozen chicken, and maybe some pork/ground beef. Pick up most of the sides(rice type things, veggies) at walmart. Or Aldi's. Split up the family packs of meat into serving sizes and freeze them and you don't waste food, and you know exactly how much stuff you have at any given time.

Like at Sams you can get a 10 pound bag of chicken for 23 bucks, that's usually good for 7-8 different meals. Keeps costs down.

And I'm definitely not starving or anything.

Last edited by stevew : 07-08-2009 at 03:08 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
We've budged $300 a month (kind of randomly chose that number and haven't done anything to stick to it) for two people and have hit almost exactly that over the last year. So I guess that's about $70 a week.

Same with me and my girlfriend. It can fluctuate, but for the morst part $75/wk or $300/mo really.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
tarcone
Coordinator

We budget $200 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids and a dog.

Butter, how do you only spend $100 to $125 a week?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
MacroGuru
Coordinator

For us, Family of 5, no pets...We average $800 a month if we want to eat healthy...believe it or not, if we go out for fast food, that goes down a bit.

The Mrs just started to coupon clip again to build up our food storage (again) and this will save us anywhere from 300 - 400 a month on costs.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #22
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

$150 a week for 2 of us but that includes cleaning supplies, laundry stuff, TP ect.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
The Mrs just started to coupon clip again to build up our food storage (again) and this will save us anywhere from 300 - 400 a month on costs.

Really, you are able to save that much? I'm pretty stoked when I can save $10 a trip.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #24
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Family of 6, spend anywhere between $600 - $800 per month. This includes the ridiculous cost of diapers, and all the other things a family needs (i.e., toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc.). Three girls under the age of four = lots of diaper costs.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #25
Lorena
Unregistered

I clip coupons and go to CVS for any toilettries and take advantage of their extra bucks and we've saved a ton of money. I've been able to buy Huggies training pants for less than $5. I've bought Pert Plus Shampoo for less than a dollar, and toothpaste for free. Yes, I said free.

We also buy chicken in bulk from Sams (or could have been Costco, not sure) and the chicken lasts a while. The crockpot is the best invention ever, just throw a bunch of stuff in there and you have an $8.00 meal for a family of 4 and leftover for lunch the next day. On a good week, we spend less than $80.00 for a family of 4 (no pets). We eat out an average of 4 times a month so add about $20.00 a week for that.

Last edited by Lorena : 07-08-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #26
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Family of 6, spend anywhere between $600 - $800 per month. This includes the ridiculous cost of diapers, and all the other things a family needs (i.e., toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc.). Three girls under the age of four = lots of diaper costs.

Oh man my youngest son just got out of diapers 2 weeks ago and it is awesome to stop spending money on that crap (literally)!

About $500-$600/month for 2 adults 2 kids...depending on whether we eat out (i.e. not fast food) once or twice a month (and depending on the restaurant).

The wife has been getting pretty good at coupon clipping lately...just saved $30 on today's shopping trip!
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #27
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

Are your kids still on formula?

We are also a family of 6. Kids are 5, 3, and the twins are 2 months. We are currently budgeting $400 per pay period (2 weeks). Formula is the killer. We can't use generic, they can't digest it....so we have to buy the $25 cans and twins eat a lot. I can't wait until we can switch to whole milk....10 long months from now.

Usually have one big shopping trip that nets around $200 and spend the rest over the next few weeks, mostly on diapers and formula.

Thankfully, my wife had our 3 year old out of diapers at 2...and now doesn't even use them at night.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #28
Galaxy
Coordinator

Do you use a lot of the food in terms of leftovers, using the rest of the produce for another dish/day, ect.?

How much do your costs increase or decrease on that factor? I the money spent it would also depend on often you eat out/order in?

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-08-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #29
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I went through my June bank statement. Just for myself, which includes eating out and household items I get from the grocery store or Walmart, I spent $245 last month.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd imagine this is highly dependent on where you live. If there are only union grocers you are obviously getting pounded on prices. There are expensive ass stores in my area(Giant Eagle FTL)
Old 07-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #31
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

It varies depending on the usual factors (how much I already have, what's on sale, how hungry I am, etc.), but the average for just groceries - no outside dining and no toiletries - is about $40 a week. There's just me to deal with.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #32
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Probably around $250 a week (5 people) - mainly because I refuse to eat junk food and my kids are addicted to fruit which is abhorantly expensive in Florida for some reason (can't figure out why fruit grown in Florida would be over double the price here that it is in England?).

Orange Juice (Tesco Online UK) - 62p/carton*
Orange Jiuce (Publix) - $2.50/carton (approximately £1.80)

*Special offer admittedly but all the same ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
revrew
Team Chaplain

Y'know, there really are ways to save a TON of money on grocery shopping. Hearing of families of 4 or 5 topping $800 or $1000 dollars a month boggles my mind.

There are 14 of us - 2 adults, 3 teens, and 9 younger children. Counting only food (no cosmetics, cleaners, diapers, etc) and not counting the occasional dining out, we spend about $120 a week. Maybe about $150, if the pantry is getting low and we need to stock up on a few items to replenish it.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #34
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
We budget $200 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids and a dog.

Butter, how do you only spend $100 to $125 a week?

We coupon like crazy and just look for deals. We're not brand-picky, and try to stock up when we can. Most of the credit for this goes to my wife. Average big grocery trip is probably about $200 every 2 weeks, and then little side trips or dog food or whatever every week probably add up to another $25-30 a week. Thinking hard about it, it is probably more like $125-150 a week, but that's with 2 growing boys, a dog, and a cat. So I think we do pretty good.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #35
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

it's hard to get any clear comparisons here though, since it's not clear if people's estimates above include fast food or convenince store type purchases. i can have a grocery bill of $20 per week if my family eats out every day.

there's also the big chance for the discrepancy btween what you estimate and what actually happens. for example, i would have estimated about $600/mo (which is in line with many others' estimates here) but when I actually looked at the cc statement i saw it was more.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #36
BYU 14
Coordinator

When we do the coupon thing we can do 125-150 for 4 of us, plus 3 Dogs. Otherwise 175-200. We are doing the coupon thing a lot more as we pay off the Wifes fines and legal bills
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #37
Subby
lolzcat

$1500/month

That's six of us and includes probably 5-6 carryout meals, little league/pool snackbar, one or two dinners out. Also includes anything you would buy at grocery store/costco.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #38
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Y'know, there really are ways to save a TON of money on grocery shopping. Hearing of families of 4 or 5 topping $800 or $1000 dollars a month boggles my mind.

There are 14 of us - 2 adults, 3 teens, and 9 younger children. Counting only food (no cosmetics, cleaners, diapers, etc) and not counting the occasional dining out, we spend about $120 a week. Maybe about $150, if the pantry is getting low and we need to stock up on a few items to replenish it.

Truly impressive, how I take you spend a lot of time gathering coupons and rebates??
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #39
Ksyrup

There's no way I can separate out all the non-food stuff we buy because everything is a part of our "grocery" shopping, so that's all included in my $800 estimate. It also includes other one-time items that get picked up when grocery shopping (plants, potting soil, birthday cards, games/toys, etc.), since we do our main grocery shopping at Wal-Mart or Meijer.

My wife usually can get upwards of $10 in coupons off each week. We don't start using certain products solely for coupons, but when a coupon can be used for what we buy, my wife's got it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #40
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Truly impressive, how I take you spend a lot of time gathering coupons and rebates??

Very little. Sometimes a grocery store's in-store flyer will have coupons we can use, or sometimes there will be a coupon on the shelf, but really, we might use one coupon per month. With 12 kids, we don't have time to clip coupons. No, there are lots of other techniques we use.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #41
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
There are 14 of us - 2 adults, 3 teens, and 9 younger children

I'd be spending $120/wk on liquor alone
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #42
Ksyrup

Revrew, you need a contact at TLC. Actually, I'm surprised they haven't hunted YOU down yet.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #43
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Revrew, you need a contact at TLC. Actually, I'm surprised they haven't hunted YOU down yet.

Tee-hee. Thought about it. After our home was wiped out by a tornado, we were actually a finalist for "Extreme Home Makeover", but didn't make the final cut. But after seeing what happens to most reality show types ("John and Kate Share 8"), we're probably gonna dodge that publicity. I did, however, make a list of 10 techniques we use, in case y'er interested:

1. What grocery store you shop at makes a HUGE difference. In Iowa, we have 3 primary chains: Hy-Vee, Fareway, and Aldi. Several years ago, I price tested them. The same grocery cart that cost $100 at Hyvee, cost $70 at Fareway and $60 at Aldi. Just avoiding the wrong store saved us 30 - 40 % right off the top.
2. We don't buy alcohol, tobacco, baby formula, or fresh ground coffee, all of which cost insane amounts of money.
3. Outside of milk, we don't buy any bottled beverages. Soda pop and juice cost way too much without much nutritional value.
4. Outside of the occasional batch of frozen pizzas (when they're on sale only), we don't buy pre-prepared foods. Chicken nuggets, pot pies, frozen dinners, mixes, and convenience foods of all kinds force you to pay a huge premium for convenience. We buy raw foods and cook them. We pay in time what some pay in convenience, but it cuts down on the bills, if that's your priority.
5. There are enough off brands on the market, that with a little exploration, you can usually find one as good as the name brand. Why pay? We don't buy Tostitos, for example, at $3.29 a bag, but buy Aldi tortilla chips for $1.99 instead.
6. Some things just cost too much. Boxed cereal, for example. We can buy 50 pounds of whole oats and make hot cereal for our family 20 times for the same price as serving Cheerios to our family 4 times. Junk food? Why?
7. We buy almost nothing in cans, but prefer raw and bulk foods. Fresh fruit and veggies are better for you, soups and sauces are cheaper to make (with the exception of a generic marinara, which we often buy then "doctor" to our tastes). But take chili beans or black beans, for example. A pound of dry beans costs a buck and makes the same amount as about 10 cans of chili beans at 60 cents a can. $1 or $6. Why pay more?
8. Loss leaders: Every grocery store marks something down to lure you in, then hits you with higher prices on other things. We just buy the marked down stuff, and don't fall for the ruse. When hamburger is on sale for $1 a pound, we buy 50 pounds, throw it in our freezer, and don't buy burger again until the next time it's a loss leader. If hamburger costs $2.50 a pound, we don't buy it. We eat chicken, ham, and turkey instead. And wait for burger to go on sale again. For this reason, we also almost never buy steak. I mean, a 4-year-old would rather eat a hamburger than a $7 ribeye anyway, so we get steak when the adults go out to eat.
9. Mark down. The Fareway stores around us mark down certain foods when they approach or pass their "due" date. We can get a $3 bag of spinach for 50 cents and a $4 pint of strawberries for $1. They have to be eaten within a day or two, but no problem. We substitute a spinach/bacon/strawberry salad into the menu for whatever else we had planned, and we eat $7 worth of nutrition for $1.50.
10. The Sam's Clubs and Costco's of the world aren't the inexpensive panaceas they claim to be. They are almost always cheaper if - and only if - you are buying name brands. Dorito's at Sam's are cheaper than anywhere else. But if you dodge the temptation to buy name brands and look at it closely, the warehouse stores are like any other: lure you in with one good deal, then soak you with a bad one. Often times, those 64-oz boxes of whatever cost MORE per oz than the 14-oz box at the regular grocery store. You gotta know how much a product actually costs before you fall for buying a bunch at a bad price.

Admittedly, we do pay more for running our oven and chest freezer than the average family that might cook more quick and convenient foods, but our grocery bills are a fraction of what they could be.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #44
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
They have to be eaten within a day or two, but no problem.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #45
Subby
lolzcat

You can still drink very good coffee. Do *not* skimp on that, because you don't have to! Buy green coffee beans online. You can get 10 lbs for $50 and they keep for a year in storage if you want to buy more than that. Roast the beans yourself. Grind what you need each day.

Great coffee and you save a ridiculous amount of money.

Of course if you hate coffee, then just buy it at the grocery store.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #46
digamma
Torchbearer

The worst part of waking up is Foldgers in your cup!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #47
digamma
Torchbearer

We probably pay $60 a week for groceries, and probably eat out once or twice a week. It's just my wife and me. Shopping for one or two people is probably the least economical and efficient way to do things, particularly if you err toward fresh items. As Ben notes, the use it or lose it issue can quickly become "lose it" when there are only two eaters and things are close to their due date.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

To me, coupons are reasons to buy something you wouldn't normally. I don't even clip the ones that aren't for stuff we like.

And knowing how to make 21-28 different meals, and variations of what you can do with a certain cut of meat really helps.

I also do stacking on the meals sometimes.

Like I'll get a huge pork roast and throw it in the crock pot(with no cats).

Day one will be roasted pork, mashed potatoes, veggie of some sort. Day 2 will be Carnitas and rice and beans. Day 3(or lunch) will be shredded BBQ sandwhiches.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #49
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
1. What grocery store you shop at makes a HUGE difference. In Iowa, we have 3 primary chains: Hy-Vee, Fareway, and Aldi. Several years ago, I price tested them. The same grocery cart that cost $100 at Hyvee, cost $70 at Fareway and $60 at Aldi. Just avoiding the wrong store saved us 30 - 40 % right off the top.
2. We don't buy alcohol, tobacco, baby formula, or fresh ground coffee, all of which cost insane amounts of money.
3. Outside of milk, we don't buy any bottled beverages. Soda pop and juice cost way too much without much nutritional value.
4. Outside of the occasional batch of frozen pizzas (when they're on sale only), we don't buy pre-prepared foods. Chicken nuggets, pot pies, frozen dinners, mixes, and convenience foods of all kinds force you to pay a huge premium for convenience. We buy raw foods and cook them. We pay in time what some pay in convenience, but it cuts down on the bills, if that's your priority.
5. There are enough off brands on the market, that with a little exploration, you can usually find one as good as the name brand. Why pay? We don't buy Tostitos, for example, at $3.29 a bag, but buy Aldi tortilla chips for $1.99 instead.
6. Some things just cost too much. Boxed cereal, for example. We can buy 50 pounds of whole oats and make hot cereal for our family 20 times for the same price as serving Cheerios to our family 4 times. Junk food? Why?
7. We buy almost nothing in cans, but prefer raw and bulk foods. Fresh fruit and veggies are better for you, soups and sauces are cheaper to make (with the exception of a generic marinara, which we often buy then "doctor" to our tastes). But take chili beans or black beans, for example. A pound of dry beans costs a buck and makes the same amount as about 10 cans of chili beans at 60 cents a can. $1 or $6. Why pay more?
8. Loss leaders: Every grocery store marks something down to lure you in, then hits you with higher prices on other things. We just buy the marked down stuff, and don't fall for the ruse. When hamburger is on sale for $1 a pound, we buy 50 pounds, throw it in our freezer, and don't buy burger again until the next time it's a loss leader. If hamburger costs $2.50 a pound, we don't buy it. We eat chicken, ham, and turkey instead. And wait for burger to go on sale again. For this reason, we also almost never buy steak. I mean, a 4-year-old would rather eat a hamburger than a $7 ribeye anyway, so we get steak when the adults go out to eat.
9. Mark down. The Fareway stores around us mark down certain foods when they approach or pass their "due" date. We can get a $3 bag of spinach for 50 cents and a $4 pint of strawberries for $1. They have to be eaten within a day or two, but no problem. We substitute a spinach/bacon/strawberry salad into the menu for whatever else we had planned, and we eat $7 worth of nutrition for $1.50.
10. The Sam's Clubs and Costco's of the world aren't the inexpensive panaceas they claim to be. They are almost always cheaper if - and only if - you are buying name brands. Dorito's at Sam's are cheaper than anywhere else. But if you dodge the temptation to buy name brands and look at it closely, the warehouse stores are like any other: lure you in with one good deal, then soak you with a bad one. Often times, those 64-oz boxes of whatever cost MORE per oz than the 14-oz box at the regular grocery store. You gotta know how much a product actually costs before you fall for buying a bunch at a bad price.

i remember watching your family on Wife Swap.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 07-09-2009 at 08:30 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #50
PilotMan
Head Coach

Alright, we are feeding 5, but it's my wife and I, plus 3 boys ages 14, 7 and 5.

We average about 380-420 per month for groceries and maybe 30-100 more eating out, depending. We live on a very tight budget.

I can only imagine as these boys get bigger how much more this is going to go up.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote