Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen

Anyone else psyched for this movie? I really enjoyed the first one and am looking forward to seeing this one as well. I really liked the opening combat scene and while i know there was some corney stuff in the movie thought it was very entertaining.

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
RendeR
Coordinator

I love the first one and think they did a decent job of transferring it forward. Dunno bout this next one, but I felt the same way before I saw #1 as well so hopefully it will be good.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

Definitely gonna go see it Sunday morning.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

Huge transformers fan growing up. I don't know if I'll go til Saturday tho.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
larrymcg421
Head Coach

More nonsense from ADD director Michael Bay. I was a huge fan of the series growing up, but Bay's worthless "OMG I have to cut every nanosecond to make it exciting!" style combined with the ridiculous attempts at humor like the inexcusable half hour long interlude where the Transformers ruin his mother's flower bed while he gets a lecture on masturbation made the first one unbearable. From the looks of it, I don't see that the 2nd one is going to be any different.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
More nonsense from ADD director Michael Bay. I was a huge fan of the series growing up, but Bay's worthless "OMG I have to cut every nanosecond to make it exciting!" style combined with the ridiculous attempts at humor like the inexcusable half hour long interlude where the Transformers ruin his mother's flower bed while he gets a lecture on masturbation made the first one unbearable. From the looks of it, I don't see that the 2nd one is going to be any different.

Angry much? I liked the first one. I guess I'm an ADD idiot.

Anyway, I'm not "pumped" to see it, but I'm looking forward to a fun summer movie that I don't have to analyze. I love movies that make me think, and watch more of those than other types, but sometimes I just like some brain-dead 'splosions.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Skipping this one entirely, first one was bad enough.

Saw a link on Twitter to Ebert's review: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

The opening paragraph:

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments. One of these involves a dog-like robot humping the leg of the heroine. Such are the meager joys. If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Skipping this one entirely, first one was bad enough.

Saw a link on Twitter to Ebert's review: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

The opening paragraph:

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments. One of these involves a dog-like robot humping the leg of the heroine. Such are the meager joys. If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination.

/tk

because Ebert is the target audience...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Amazed it took 5 posts for the Bay bashing to start.

I can't wait to see it.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm expecting an Oscar winner here. Think I'll be disappointed?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am looking forward to it, my daughter is the one who has been going nuts waiting for this one to come out. I told her we would go to the 11:00 or 11:30 showing tomorrow morning. We will see if that happens or not though, it's up to her waking up in time.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Angry much? I liked the first one. I guess I'm an ADD idiot.

Why do you take an insult aimed at the director as a personal insult to yourself? That's bizaare. Newsflash: It's possible to hate a movie without hating the people that like it.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not "pumped" to see it, but I'm looking forward to a fun summer movie that I don't have to analyze. I love movies that make me think, and watch more of those than other types, but sometimes I just like some brain-dead 'splosions.

That's exactly what I was looking forward to with the first one, and was sorely disappointed.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Amazed it took 5 posts for the Bay bashing to start.

I can't wait to see it.

If only I had seen the thread sooner..

Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

I kinda liked the first one although I thought it was too long and the final battle scene really bothered me in the way it was shot. Everything was so tight that I had trouble figuring out who I should be rooting for and which machine was beating the hell out which.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'm expecting an Oscar winner here. Think I'll be disappointed?

Oh, I get it. You either like Transformers or you must have been expecting an Oscar winner.

I notice that while people are presenting these strawman arguments, no one has actually responded to the points I made. You'll notice that I didn't complain about lack of character development, deep story, or interesting dialogue. I complained about the way Bay shoots his action scenes and an unnecessary and unfunny comedy sequence.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
because Ebert is the target audience...

Why isn't he? He sure likes his share of dumb movies and has given positive reviews to plenty of popcorn action films in the past.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why isn't he?

Well he would be the same guy who criticized the way the bombs fell in Pearl Harbor and got ripped by Bay for it. I don't have the impression there's much love lost between those two so I'd take anything from him with a grain of salt in this case.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #18
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Maybe, but, well:

Transformers :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

Old 06-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #19
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, I get it. You either like Transformers or you must have been expecting an Oscar winner.

I notice that while people are presenting these strawman arguments, no one has actually responded to the points I made. You'll notice that I didn't complain about lack of character development, deep story, or interesting dialogue. I complained about the way Bay shoots his action scenes and an unnecessary and unfunny comedy sequence.

I responded to what you said - I disagree with you. Period. You say I'm taking it personally, which I'm not since I have no emotional connection to the film or cartoon (which I loved growing up), but it's you that seems to be riled.

Anyway, Don't see it. That's cool. I'll let you know if it's good.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #20
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Larry i kinda enjoyed the parental banter with the transformers in the yard. I will admit the end battle was a bit tough to follow which transformer was good or bad. I am going in looking to be entertained for an afternoon and if the 2nd is close to the 1st that will be accomplished. I enjoyed The Rock and Armageddon although i understand that if you break down the movies there are a lot of ridiculous things. Of course i am sure you and i might disagree on other directors as well. No biggee i don't take it personally.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #21
larrymcg421
Head Coach

And I can appreciate that. I don't mind disagreements on the merits of what I say. The only thing that bothers me and gets me "riled up" is when people pretend I'm calling them an "ADD idiot" and make random sarcastic comments about expecting it to be an Oscar winner.

By the way, I thought the Rock was very good. You had some really interesting characters with Connery, Cage, and Ed Harris and that went a long way towards making up for Bay's annoying directing style.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
You'll notice that I didn't complain about lack of character development, deep story, or interesting dialogue. .

This isn't why people go to see Transformers. They go to see lots of action, explosions, and such...

I realize the comedy is annoying at times, but that's what you get with Bay. IF you want the other things you mentioned I'm not sure what to tell you, go see The Notebook.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #23
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This isn't why people go to see Transformers. They go to see lots of action, explosions, and such...

I realize the comedy is annoying at times, but that's what you get with Bay. IF you want the other things you mentioned I'm not sure what to tell you, go see The Notebook.

Sigh.

You completely missed my point. I never said I expected any of those things. I was saying I DIDN'T criticize the movie for lacking those things, because I never expected it to have them.

And as much as I hated the first Transformers, I would rather watch it on an endless 24 hour, 365 day loop than see one minute of The Notebook.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 06-23-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #24
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

LARRY WE DON'T WATCH TRANSFORMERS FOR THE ACTING OR SCRIPT
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #25
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I would rather watch it on an endless 24 hour, 365 day loop than see one minute of The Notebook.

Larry we definitely agree on this.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #26
Danny
Head Coach

I really enjoyed Transformers and the notebook may be my favorite romantic movie.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #27
JS19
College Prospect

Megan Fox. Conversation is over.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #28
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

Buy Maxim and beat off in private. Cheaper than movie ticket and you won't get arrested.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(I liked Transformers as a kid and I love action movies but the first movie did nothing for me, either. I didn't really have high expectations going in so it's not like I had a huge letdown. There hadn't been anything good out of a Transformers property since about Beast Wars, so it wasn't that. I actually like Shia LaBeouf but his character was annoying as hell and there were just a lot of things that didn't work for me in the movie.)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-23-2009 at 11:42 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #30
JS19
College Prospect

eh, that's debatable
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While Roger Ebert may not be the target audience, I read a couple of reviews on aintitcoolnews.com. Those people are definitely the target audience. Both reviews I read trashed the hell out of the movie.

I enjoyed the first movie. It was shit balls retarded, ridiculous and totally inane, but I enjoyed it for what it was. By the sounds of things, the sequel may just be too much of the bad to actually derive pleasure from the good (explosions, robots fighting, etc.).

Just looking at Bay's work as a director... The only movie of his that I have seen and completely enjoyed (sans caveats) was "Bad Boys." Armageddon and Pearl Harbor are pretty attrocious and the first Transformers has many, many issues (robots peeing on people, robots sneaking around and hiding in the backyard, etc.). Never saw Bad Boys II.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I liked The Rock a lot and Bad Boys quite a bit. I even enjoyed Bad Boys II, tho what I learned from watching some of the features special effects, it's pretty clear Bay has no regard for human life when filming stunts

"Sir, if we get him that close, we cannot guarantee his protection."
"What's your point? Put him next to the explosion, it'll look better!"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I must be Michael Bay's target audience I guess. Out of the movies he is listed for on IMDB:
  1. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
    ... aka Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version)
  2. Transformers (2007)
    ... aka Transformers: The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version)
  3. The Island (2005)
  4. Bad Boys II (2003)
    ... aka Good Cops: Bad Boys II (Malaysia: English title)
  5. Pearl Harbor (2001)
    ... aka Pearl Harbour (UK: promotional title)
  6. Armageddon (1998/I)
  7. The Rock (1996)
  8. Bad Boys (1995)
I haven't seen Bad Boys II, but I liked all of the rest and have watched most of them numerous times. Perhaps only the Island is one that I don't own. *shrug*

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #34
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

She creeps me out. She looks too much like my little sister Caitlin.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

pix pls k thx
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #36
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

This will not end well.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #37
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

o rly
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #38
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hey, pics pls.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #39
Atocep
Coordinator

Just got back from seeing it. It can probably be summed up rather easily by saying if you liked the first one, chances are you'll like this one. If not, stay away. If you wanted to see the transformers get more screen time and see more explosions it definitely delivers.

Bay hit his target audience. There's probably Transformers fans that are disappointed that they aren't in that target, but I think Bay accomplished what he set out to do.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #40
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Saw it today and really liked it. Now understand i am one who wants to be entertained and really don't want to think much when i watch a movie like this. Were there some corny part? Yep. Did things slow a bit? Yep. Is the movie going to be nominated for awards? Heck no.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #41
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Just got back myself. I loved the 1st movie...a little disappointed in the 2nd. Just a little too much of everything...and not enough of the characters of the transformers. It's worth watching once, but probably just once.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #42
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
This will not end well.

Yes it will.

You will never see my little sis!!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #43
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I guess, midnight screenings included, "Transformers 2" hauled in $71 million yesterday.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #44
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Wow. That's a lot. A quick googling shows TDK did $60M.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #45
Kodos
Resident Alien

I never watched the original series. I'm guessing that puts me in the minority. While we're talking about bad movies based on TV shows from our childhood, G.I. Joe looks terrible too.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-25-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #46
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I never watched the original series. I'm guessing that puts me in the minority. While we're talking about bad movies based on TV shows from our childhood, G.I. Joe looks terrible too.

I agree.

The Baroness is super hot, but other than that, this movie is going to suck an epic amount of ass. It will be a black hole of suck, sucking so hard that not even light can escape it. It might even suck light back in time, Nero-style.

Since when has G.I. Joe needed power-armored silly suits? And why is Cobra sending that undead army from Return of The King to destroy the Eiffel Tower? I think I will only learn the answers to these questions late at night when I stumble upon this movie on free cable. Likely I will be very drunk, so, mayhaps, I will even enjoy myself.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #47
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree.

The Baroness is super hot, but other than that, this movie is going to suck an epic amount of ass. It will be a black hole of suck, sucking so hard that not even light can escape it. It might even suck light back in time, Nero-style.

Since when has G.I. Joe needed power-armored silly suits?
And why is Cobra sending that undead army from Return of The King to destroy the Eiffel Tower? I think I will only learn the answers to these questions late at night when I stumble upon this movie on free cable. Likely I will be very drunk, so, mayhaps, I will even enjoy myself.

Ding, Ding, Ding. That's what did it for me. Don't mess with the original concept. Probably why I didn't like the 2nd Transformers near as much as the 1st, but even the 2nd one will be infinitely more enjoyable than G.I. Joe. It's on DVD by September. Looks wretched.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #48
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes it will.

You will never see my little sis!!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #49
MikeVic
Head Coach

Watched this movie last night. I never watched the original series, and I thought the first movie was ok. This movie was ok too. Good for a summer blockbuster. Had funny parts, nice action, and a couple of hot chicks. It did have one part that made me say "really?"

Spoiler
Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #50
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Spoiler

Ugh, that makes me not want to watch the movie at all. That's terrible, and seems completely unnecessary.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote