Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

Graduate Program

I've just applied to graduate school and get my Masters. It's something I've been thinking of for a few months and I feel it is the best decision I could make. If I'm accepted, I will be going to Massachusetts (the state in general, not UMass). For those who have gone a similar route and did a Masters program full-time, did you enjoy your experience? Did/Do you live on-campus or off-campus? Is it possible to handle both a part-time job and the requirements of such a program?

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-16-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Despite my angst thread, for the most part I've enjoyed the full-time experience. I lived technically on campus this year in apartments that were expensive and terrible, so I'm moving to much cheaper, nice housing that means about 20-30 minute walk, but it'll be worth it.

And yes, it's possible to handle both, at least in the case of I and most of the TAs I know (which involves teaching two sections and all the work involved with that), and the RAs (Research Assistants) in Electrical Engineering I know.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I've just applied to graduate school and get my Masters. It's something I've been thinking of for a few months and I feel it is the best decision I could make. If I'm accepted, I will be going to Massachusetts (the state in general, not UMass). For those who have gone a similar route and did a Masters program full-time, did you enjoy your experience? Did/Do you live on-campus or off-campus? Is it possible to handle both a part-time job and the requirements of such a program?

I got my Master's of Science about six years back now in Computer Science (Information Security to be exact). Before I got it my career was going no where's fast and now I am a Director in charge of my companies corporate Global IT Security Group basically my dream job. I highly recommend anyone in a technical field who desires to break into the ranks of at least mid-level management to pursue a Masters. I greatly enjoyed my time and I did apporx. 75% of mine remotely thorugh my scholls distance education prgram and a few months in the summer on residency that was great. Good luck. I am from Mass. and have a great knowledge of the local schools and would be curious where you are going to go.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'll send you a PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I got my MS in Aerospace Engineering right after finishing my BS. I was a full-time student with a research assistantship (that is, during the school year I was expected to work ~20 hours a week on research in addition to my classes, during the summer it was ~40 hours a week--I always ended up doing more than that). I lived off campus...to be honest, I don't even know if there are on-campus housing opportunities for grad students at the University of Maryland--then again, I never looked.

I enjoyed the experience, but that's because I was doing research that really interested me and I liked the people who were in my lab. I think at the end of the day, that's what matters, enjoying what you're doing, being really interested in it.

All that said, at least for industry jobs in aerospace, a Masters is kind of usesless. Sure, I got paid more money when I went job hunting, but a some places looked down on it, they didn't want to pay more money to someone who they'd still have to train as much as someone with just a BS. All it is is another line on the resume (on which some people admittedly place too much value).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

I just finished my first year of a three year, full time, year round program. I have enjoyed my experience and the people in the program very much, although I wish there were a few more males in the program. I live off campus with my wife. This year I worked almost full time the first semester and part time this semester. Next year we can't work as it our most difficult year. The director of the program even stated that if you have to see academic review committee that having to work is not an excuse and heavily advised us not to work anymore than 10 hours a week if at all. And if reports from current second year students are true, the second year will kick my ass. The third year is a full time internship + thesis project, so it's about the same as a full time job + the project.

Overall, it's a much better experience than undergrad as far as the schooling part goes.

Last edited by Danny : 05-17-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I just finished my first year of a three year, full time, year round program. I have enjoyed my experience and the people in the program very much, although I wish there were a few more males in the program. I live off campus with my wife. This year I worked almost full time the first semester and part time this semester. Next year we can't work as it our most difficult year. The director of the program even stated that if you have to see academic review committee that having to work is not an excuse and heavily advised us not to work anymore than 10 hours a week if at all. And if reports from current second year students are true, the second year will kick my ass. The third year is a full time internship + thesis project, so it's about the same as a full time job + the project.

Overall, it's a much better experience than undergrad as far as the schooling part goes.

I'm guessing your in a doctoral? I'm hoping to hear in the next two weeks or so (they should have all my stuff now).
Old 05-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

cool - where did you apply Galaxy? if you don't mind sharing that is...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm guessing your in a doctoral? I'm hoping to hear in the next two weeks or so (they should have all my stuff now).

It's actually not a doctoral, but is a specialty level degree. Basically this means you get a masters of science, then you get a credential with the state (pupil personal services credential) and NASP certification (National Association of School Psychologist). This basically gives you everything you need to work as a school psychologist anywhere in the country. In California (the only state) you also can actually get a private practice license with a specialty level degree.

Doctorates focus more on research and preparing you for private practice, but the specialty level is what most school psychologists (about 80%). My program jam packs about four years worth of stuff into three years, but focuses very little on research, it's complete focus is preparing us to work in schools (which is what I want to do). Maybe after some years I'll go back for a PHD if I decide I want to work as a professor or in private practice.

Last edited by Danny : 05-27-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
cool - where did you apply Galaxy? if you don't mind sharing that is...

Actually, I'll be near you if I get accepted. Northeastern. I'm also planning on applying to an internship program (that is part of the University for my graduate program) if I'm accepted for the fall or spring.

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-27-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
It's actually not a doctoral, but is a specialty level degree. Basically this means you get a masters of science, then you get a credential with the state (pupil personal services credential) and NASP certification (National Association of School Psychologist). This basically gives you everything you need to work as a school psychologist anywhere in the country. In California (the only state) you also can actually get a private practice license with a specialty level degree.

Doctorates focus more on research and preparing you for private practice, but the specialty level is what most school psychologists (about 80%). My program jam packs about four years worth of stuff into three years, but focuses very little on research, it's complete focus is preparing us to work in schools (which is what I want to do). Maybe after some years I'll go back for a PHD if I decide I want to work as a professor or in private practice.

Would you have to do another three or four years of work to get the PHD, or would some of your stuff you just did carry over?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
Danny
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure a lot of it would carry over, my guess is a 5-7 year program would be 3-5 years instead. A lot depends on the individual Ph.D program and what their willing to let carry over. Of course, in difficulty, I'm guessing a Ph.D won't be too difficult (compared to those going straight to the Ph.D program) after finishing this program and working for X amount of years. This is especially true if I decide to do a thesis project for my 3rd year. We have the option of a thesis, a project or 10 comprehensive essays. Essays are what most people choose, but if the thesis project is done this can serve as a large base for a Ph.D thesis.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, I'll be near you if I get accepted. Northeastern. I'm also planning on applying to an internship program (that is part of the University for my graduate program) if I'm accepted for the fall or spring.

I presumed it would be one of the "in the city" schools. Good times - if you're here we'll have to redouble our efforts to get the Boston-folks together for a gathering.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I presumed it would be one of the "in the city" schools. Good times - if you're here we'll have to redouble our efforts to get the Boston-folks together for a gathering.

Yeah. I think it's at the main campus.

I have the option to do the online degree. I might talk think of doing the first year here (and save up some money), and come down and do the second year in-person. I'll have to discuss it with the folks once I get in.

I've been checking out the cost of living. Seems like it would cost any place from $500-$700 for a room (rent and all the rest included). Any idea what the overall cost per month (I would likely leave my car and go with a monthy T pass) to cover expenses?

For the rest of you, can you get federal loans/grants (Grad Plus)? Do schools usually offer some type of GA programs? Do stipends cover your living expenses?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

I have a TAship with my program, which covers tuition and a stipend which just barely manages to cover room and board. Of course, this was with on-campus housing and meal plan, and as I'll have roughly $200 a month cheaper housing next year, but also not a meal plan, it should amount to the same.

Of course, that doesn't leave anything left over for entertainment options, so I'm still picking up what hours I can (if any) at Victoria's Secret this summer.

Whether schools have TA/GA/RAships available depends entirely on the school and program. Some do, some don't, but either way they're usually extremely competitive (naturally).

As far loans go, I didn't take any out. I realized it'd mean most weekends at home and cutting out pretty much all pay options for leisure, but only having a couple undergrad loans at the end of graduation still was worth it.

I remember not being impressed at all with the loan/financial aid options available to grad students.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #16
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
For the rest of you, can you get federal loans/grants (Grad Plus)? Do schools usually offer some type of GA programs? Do stipends cover your living expenses?

I took 0 grants and loans for my undergrad, so now that I am in grad school, most of my tuition is covered by university grants (don't quality for federal grants). I also have the subsidized Stafford loan option of 8,500 a year. So far I have taken 8,500 of that, but not used much of it. It's really only for emergency money and to earn interest, since no payable interest accrues until after you graduate. I have not and will not be taking unsubsidized Stafford loans.

Last edited by Danny : 06-01-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

When I was a full-time grad student, I had a research assistantship. My tuition was covered, and I got a stipend (it was assumed I'd work 20 hours a week during school and 40 hours a week when not in classes). I was able to buy books and live in crappy off-campus housing. I did end up borrowing some money from my parents, but not too much (probably less than 2k total. Granted, I lived pretty frugally (I had a roommate, bought lots of raw goods and cooked instead of going out or buying pre-packaged things, bought used books, etc).

/tk
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
When I was a full-time grad student, I had a research assistantship. My tuition was covered, and I got a stipend (it was assumed I'd work 20 hours a week during school and 40 hours a week when not in classes). I was able to buy books and live in crappy off-campus housing. I did end up borrowing some money from my parents, but not too much (probably less than 2k total. Granted, I lived pretty frugally (I had a roommate, bought lots of raw goods and cooked instead of going out or buying pre-packaged things, bought used books, etc).

/tk

What did it take to get an assistantship?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #19
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What did it take to get an assistantship?

Finding someone who was doing research that was interesting to me and getting them to take me on. I confess that in my case, it was fairly easy to do this, as I worked in a lab as an undergraduate and wanted to work in that lab for my graduate work, and they had money to take me on. I studied aerospace engineering (M.S., aerospace eng).

My sister is studying psychology in graduate school. She's in a similar boat as I was, doing the research assistantship thing and living off the stipend. Apparently for her right now, though, finding people who are a) doing research that interests her and b) have money to take on a RA is tougher in her department than it was 2 years ago in her department.

/tk
Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
My dad had a job before he went back to school to get his second master's. He said that he found professors he was interested in by reading the papers coming out of the university and sitting in on the upper-level lectures given by profs he might want to work with. After "scoping them out" and figuring out their style and if their stuff really was as interesting as it sounded, he would approach them.

I guess it worked, he did get his second M.S. in a rather unrelated field to his first (first was chemistry, second was oceanography).

/tk
Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Dola,
My dad had a job before he went back to school to get his second master's. He said that he found professors he was interested in by reading the papers coming out of the university and sitting in on the upper-level lectures given by profs he might want to work with. After "scoping them out" and figuring out their style and if their stuff really was as interesting as it sounded, he would approach them.

I guess it worked, he did get his second M.S. in a rather unrelated field to his first (first was chemistry, second was oceanography).

/tk

So basically, you got to get find a professor and talk to him/her if they need any help?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #22
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
So basically, you got to get find a professor and talk to him/her if they need any help?

I really think it's all discipline and program-dependent on what the requirements are, but that's just me.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #23
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

There is a lot more money for assistantships in science and engineering than anywhere else. If you are going for a Masters in, say, IT, there is very little, if any, money available and you generally pay out of pocket.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #24
Galaxy
Coordinator

I was accepted yesterday (I didn't realize you could find out online until today).

I also got an e-mail from the school's athletic department that my major would be in. They told me that we'll they have no open assistanceship positions right now, they have funded in the past part-time positions and ask for my resume, when I could work (date and hours), and my interests. Seems like it would be a great career move.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-11-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #25
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah even a partial assistantship or work experience would help immensely.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #26
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I have a TAship with my program, which covers tuition and a stipend which just barely manages to cover room and board. Of course, this was with on-campus housing and meal plan, and as I'll have roughly $200 a month cheaper housing next year, but also not a meal plan, it should amount to the same.

Of course, that doesn't leave anything left over for entertainment options, so I'm still picking up what hours I can (if any) at Victoria's Secret this summer.

Whether schools have TA/GA/RAships available depends entirely on the school and program. Some do, some don't, but either way they're usually extremely competitive (naturally).

As far loans go, I didn't take any out. I realized it'd mean most weekends at home and cutting out pretty much all pay options for leisure, but only having a couple undergrad loans at the end of graduation still was worth it.

I remember not being impressed at all with the loan/financial aid options available to grad students.

WTF, not to threadjack but you work/worked at Victoria Secrets?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

For those who lived or do live in Boston, any idea on what monthly expenses would be (to rent (with all the bills include-electric, water, internet, ect.)-a room in an apartment-prefer close to the Northeastern main campus, a monthly MBTA pass, and the basic living expenses such as food, ect.)? Can you rent on a 6-month lease?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I may have missed it, but what field is your Masters going to be in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #29
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
WTF, not to threadjack but you work/worked at Victoria Secrets?

Yeah for the last four years.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #30
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Yeah for the last four years.

Do tell...

Quote:
Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #31
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I can't believe people have missed that. Have they never seen the photograph either?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #32
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I can't believe people have missed that. Have they never seen the photograph either?

We have had a few threads on Victoria's Secret and related topics, I believe.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

awesome - congrats galaxy!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #34
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Yeah, I was not on here much this past year so I missed a lot of stuff.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #35
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
awesome - congrats galaxy!

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the challenge. I know Northeastern University is a good school, but looking at a lot of rankings, it seems to have a higher level of prestige/national respect which is pretty cool.

For those who have gone for a Master's degree, how does it compare in terms of the courseload and material with an undergraduate degree? Is it just a more "in-depth" focus?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-13-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #36
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

For those who have gone for a Master's degree, how does it compare in terms of the course load and material with an undergraduate degree? Is it just a more "in-depth" focus?

Both easier and harder. It's more work, but in a lot of ways it is easier for me because it is much more focused and it something I am passionate about. If I really don't care about something it is a pain and I will just do enough to get by. If I care about it, I really put my whole self into it and enjoy it more and get more out of it. I spent about 5 years or so (ages 18-22) just kind of going through junior college (took over 100 units overall), but not really knowing what I wanted to do, so for me that was more difficult. Then I realized I wanted to work in something related to psychology and education, found school psychology and transfered to a university, finished off the 60 units I needed in a year and a half and started grad school right after. Again, because I had a purpose and passion for what I was studying it was easier for me than taking a bunch of random classes I mostly did not care about.

However, according to the director of the program, the first year (which I just completed) is a 3 in difficulty compared to next year which is 8 or 9. So, my opinion may change soon .

Last edited by Danny : 06-12-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #37
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Both easier and harder. It's more work, but in a lot of ways it is easier for me because it is much more focused and it something I am passionate about. If I really don't care about something it is a pain and I will just do enough to get by. If I care about it, I really put my whole self into it and enjoy it more and get more out of it. I spent about 5 years or so (ages 18-22) just kind of going through junior college (took over 100 units overall), but not really knowing what I wanted to do, so for me that was more difficult. Then I realized I wanted to work in something related to psychology and education, found school psychology and transfered to a university, finished off the 60 units I needed in a year and a half and started grad school right after. Again, because I had a purpose and passion for what I was studying it was easier for me than taking a bunch of random classes I mostly did not care about.

However, according to the director of the program, the first year (which I just completed) is a 3 in difficulty compared to next year which is 8 or 9. So, my opinion may change soon .

Seems like the nice part of the graduate programs. You don't have to really worry about non-related courses (and would enjoy it more).
Old 06-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #38
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Yeah, I was not on here much this past year so I missed a lot of stuff.

I think it has been around for two or three years.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #39
Galaxy
Coordinator

I got an e-mail from my alma mater today after e-mailing them in regards to employment/internship opportunities. They came back and said they might be interested in me working as an unpaid intern this summer, as they could use the help. Sounds like it would be a great chance for me.

NE has an online program as well (with a 1-to-2-week summer program in Boston). Are online programs just as credible as a regular program (if both schools offer both)? When you write up your resume, do you put that in or just the school that you got it from?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-18-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #40
Galaxy
Coordinator

Any advice for tomorrow (since the details are rather bare)? Does it sound like they are looking hard at me (of course, it would have to be a graduate student who in the school's graduate studies-and this specific prgram)? It sounds like this position would really give a huge shot in the arm in terms of building my resume and skills? The nice thing is, I can go online in terms of my graduate studies after the 10 month period if I was offered a position some place else.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-15-2009 at 10:47 AM.