Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
miked
College Starter

Rodent battle

So my wife found some smallish droppings the other day, and we've been hearing some noises in the attic lately. I looked around and the droppings were sort of small so I figured we had mice. I bought a bunch of snap traps and set them with peanut butter a few days ago. Fast forward to tonight, we are watching the All-Star game and we hear a loud snap from the attic. I'm like, great, we finally got one. I go to the attic (we have one of those pull down attic things) and I see an overturned trap. These things are extremely sensitive and I had a bitch of a time even setting a few, so I figure either the mouse got away or something stupid must have triggered it.

I go to walk down these folding stairs and see something moving out of the corner of my eye. A rat comes out of nowhere and jumps for some reason, ricochets off my back, lands on the floor, and runs into the office. My wife is screaming trying to get the dog away, and I'm trying to figure out why the hell this thing jumped out into the opening (sort of anti-rodent behavior). I work with rodents in my profession so I figure I can take this thing. What ensues, no joke, is a 20 minute battle. Armed with a broom, baseball bat, and several boxes and buckets, I tried to take him alive, trap him. This thing was flying all over the place, running behind everything. Finally, after 20 minutes I corner him and smash him with the bat a few times. He's still running, but clearly hurt (and getting blood on my molding). Finally, he sort of gives up (he's pretty hurt), and I trap him in a cardboard box. Took him down the street and let him die in the woods most likely.

I feel bad, he put up a valiant fight and was trying to survive. Would've liked to get him alive and release him in my neighbor's carport, but that's life. Tomorrow I will be going to Home Depot or Lowes and buying some bigger traps. Anyone else got any stories of fighting rodents?

miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

http://operationsports.com/fofc/show...ight=bat+house
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Anyone else got any stories of fighting rodents?

living in Midtown Atlanta during the Olympics we had a rat stay with us for a couple weeks. For a week or so we never saw him but saw signs of him in the kitchen, no surprise being that we were 3 college guys. Three days in a row he chewed through telephone cords while we were at work. Traps are purchased and set out in the kitchen and near the telephone line that's getting chewed daily.

Then one day I'm getting my laundry together and the rat pops out of a sheet that I'm stuffing into my laundry basket, runs between my legs and runs down the hall and back into hiding. I think that was the first sighting. After this we hear him in the ceiling a couple times, before the big showdown.

We're all at home on a weekend day when we hear one of the traps go off in the kitchen. We go in the kitchen and the rat isn't dead, and isn't in the trap. Somehow, he ended up with a paw stuck in the front left burner of the stove. The trap cut him, there was... basically blood spatter... around the trap and on the stove, and the rat can't get unstuck and is just standing on the stove.

At this point, we learn that we're all giant pussies, given the following conversation:

Robby: "Fuck, now what?"

Chris: "Turn on the burner, fucking cook him."

Me: "Ugh, are you kidding? That's disgusting"

Robby: "Here, get a frying pan, someone hit him with a frying pan"

Chris: "you hit him with a frying pan, I'm not doing that"

Robby: "I don't want to hurt him, I can't do that"

Chris takes two frying pans and tries to scoop up the rat and cover him, trapping him between the two frying pans, the brilliant plan being to toss him out the kitchen window. I move the burner to free his leg, and the rat takes off. Chris drops the frying pans, we all jump back like little freaking girls, and the rat takes off, and is never seen again.

*bows*
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

man, draft dodger's bat troubles are just classic FOFC reading:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=28964
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
Lorena
Unregistered

did he look like this

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
miked
College Starter

That sucker haunted my dreams. I feel bad for not finishing him off, but at that point I was tired from battle and just wanted it out of my house. I'm hoping he was the only one (as we don't have lots of droppings and haven't seen anything chewed through), but I've cleaned off my bat and I'm preparing myself mentally for the next attack.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
chesapeake
College Starter

The other side of my backyard fence is a wooded county park, so we have lots of critters that like to stop by to say "hello." I have an ongoing agreement with the rats, mice and other assorted vermin: inside is my place, outside is theirs. If we run into each other in my backyard, they can go unmolested. But once they pass into my domain, the best they can hope for is that I will choose to be benevolent and get them back outside in one piece. I make no promises.

We had a skink in our kitchen mid-spring. He was fortunate. The mice in the shed over the winter, not so much.

I had a difficult ruling to make last weekend. I went out back to grill some burgers. When I opened up the lid to spray the grill before igniting it, a little pair of eyes was staring back at me. Technically, the grill was his domain. The agreement was immediately amended to include any covered item. Mouse was evicted without malice. And in one piece.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

interesting as I just moved into a secluded area on 3 acres of land, our backyard is the woods. We see wild turkeys, foxes, rabbits, and even a groundhog.

My fear is the winter time and if I will be sharing my home with some rodents. I can handle them, Its the wife and kids that won't.

I have been thinking of getting a cat (Again), just for that purpose...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Chesapeake, I like your attitude. Great reading.

Radii, cool story, also great reading.

We just put a sticky trap down in the laundry room cabinet where the mouse had taken up residence, and I bagged him up and threw him in the trash. Cleaning out his house was disgusting, but I get all pest removal chores (usually of the "big bug!" variety) and wife does dishes and bathrooms. It all evens out in the end.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Is it bad if you use the poison blocks they eat but never can find the bodies to recover?

They ate the stuff, the droppings and noise stopped yet no bodies anywhere.

Unless they got the shits and moved out.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Is it bad if you use the poison blocks they eat but never can find the bodies to recover?

We called some exterminators today (by we, I mean my wife), and the guy basically said the new poisons dehydrate them so much, they usually leave and look for a water source to die. I guess we'll see since she tells me they are coming tomorrow to check it out. Our attic is 90% unfinished and mostly insulation, meaning finding bodies is the utmost importance.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
Ryan W.
n00b

Quote:

The pest control people tell you nice stories about how they probably leave your house and die in nature like they should, but after tearing apart the drywall in my basement 3 years ago I can tell you that they usually just die in the walls of your house never to be seen again. I must have saw 15-20 mouse/rat carcasses in the walls (which was not a pleasant experience for me after just moving into the house).

The poison they laid out in my house was causing mice to do some really weird things. We were watching TV one night in the family room (with the lights on) and they just started walking around my kitchen, oblivious to us in the next room. We laid traps out and got 2 or 3 of them in the next few days and I hope that was all of them.

Just caught another one this morning after seeing droppings in the kitchen. Damn rodents. I cannot stand them and don't want to see/hear/touch them. Yes, I am a girl and I freely admit it when it comes to mice.
Ryan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I have actually had to deal with mice twice in my "adult" life (I use the term adult very loosely, as my wife says I act like a 15 year old but that is for another thread).

The first time was about 10 years ago. Me and my friend were renting an old farmhouse that my stepmother owns, and we started hearing the familiar sounds in the ceiling, especially at night. So we buy some snap traps, put peanut butter and cheese in them, lay them in the kitchen, and wait for the magic to begin. Ummm...no magic, just empty traps every morning. Not to be outsmarted by a rodent, we started looking for the thing after hearing the noises again at night. Luckily, one day we came across this mouse in a bedroom. He was as surprised as us, and what ensued was me chasing the mouse around the house with a broom. We never did catch him so I am guessing he decided somewhere else was a better choice for living arrangements.

The second incident was a couple of years ago. Before we bought the house we are in now, we were renting a house on the other side of the same block we now live on. We started seeing mouse droppings and hearing him in our pantry. Additionally, he took a liking to our saltine collection, which is just a no-no when it comes to me and my soup in the winter time. So we first tried the snap traps with peanut butter but had no luck. One night, my wife got out of bed for something and stepped on the little guy, and that was pretty much his demise as she then decided to get the poison traps. We put one behind our refrigerator, and sure enough a few days later the pellets were mostly gone. We were watching tv in the living room one night shortly afterwards, and suddenly start hearing this odd sound of little feet moving around. I walk quietly into the kitchen to see this mouse slowly dragging himself across the kitchen floor. He then falls over and proceeds to twitch uncontrollably for nearly 20 minutes before finally dying. I am no pussy, but that was difficult to see without feeling some remorse. Anyway, we have a mouse that lives in our garage now, but he has not been inside the house as far as I know. Of course, that could be because I have a before and after picture of the last one on the door leading from the garage into the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
Mrs. Schmidty
High School Varsity

Night before last we found a rat drowned in the toilet. My assumption is he somehow got into the septic tank and tried to escape through the wrong pipe. Luckily he was flushable without causing a back-up. There were splash marks on the seat indicating he tried for awhile to get out, but lost the battle. The best part of the story though is how Schmidty reacted to finding the rat, but really it's best told by him if he chooses to.
Mrs. Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Of course, that could be because I have a before and after picture of the last one on the door leading from the garage into the house.

That only works if you put it at the bottom of the door where mice can see it. Most people screw that up.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Schmidty View Post
Night before last we found a rat drowned in the toilet. My assumption is he somehow got into the septic tank and tried to escape through the wrong pipe. Luckily he was flushable without causing a back-up. There were splash marks on the seat indicating he tried for awhile to get out, but lost the battle. The best part of the story though is how Schmidty reacted to finding the rat, but really it's best told by him if he chooses to.

Was it anything resembling Nathan Lane in The Birdcage?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
That only works if you put it at the bottom of the door where mice can see it. Most people screw that up.

Yeah we actually put it over the dog-door. That way the mice can see the picture and have the opportunity to turn around and leave prior to me opening up a can of whoop-ass on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #18
miked
College Starter

Had an inspection today by a local company who said it was likely he was a solo flier. No nests or burrowing seen, not a lot of poop, therefore no need for excessive traps. They did do a free inspection of the house and pointed us to a 3 inch space in our roof where an addition may have been done, or a new roof put on top of the old roof where they could get in. I guess the baseball bat will be shelved for a bit, or put back to its normal use of swinging and missing at curveballs (1-4 with a nice K last night).
Old 07-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #19
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Was it anything resembling Nathan Lane in The Birdcage?

Pretty much. Except I screamed fuck a lot, and plugged my ears, and ran outside. Seriously.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Pretty much. Except I screamed fuck a lot, and plugged my ears, and ran outside. Seriously.

Why did you plug your ears?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #21
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Why did you plug your ears?

Because my wife kept asking what was in there. All I could say was "bathroom!!" over and over. And I wouldn't say the word, and then she kept trying to, and I didn't want to here it, and kept to telling her to just go in there.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #22
Mrs. Schmidty
High School Varsity

Alright, you have to understand. The agreement in this house is that he takes care of spiders and I take care of rodents. The agreement was made for a very good reason, which I saw evidenced in his running, screaming like a little girl from the bathroom to the living room.
While trying not to laugh I asked him what was wrong. All he could do was scream, "Go in the bathroom! Go in the bathroom!" When I would ask what was in there he would plug his ears (seriously) and yell, "Just go in the fucking bathroom!" I peeked in not knowing if it was a live one or one caught by one of the dogs or cats. When I didn't see anything right off I peeked in the toilet and saw it's bloated corpse. Even the next day he had me lift the lid for him to make sure there wasn't another one.
Now I wouldn't have told the complete story had he not at least elaborated on what was already said. Since he seems secure in his manhood I thought I would give the complete version of events.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I still don't get why he was covering his ears
Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #24
Mrs. Schmidty
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I still don't get why he was covering his ears

Because he was acting like a 3 year old and couldn't even hear the work rat (which I was asking, "Is it a rat?").
Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Schmidty View Post
Because he was acting like a 3 year old and couldn't even hear the work rat (which I was asking, "Is it a rat?").

maybe he should post as Mrs. Schmidty
Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #26
timmynausea
College Starter

I have an ongoing animal episode that started last winter sometime.

I'm pretty sure it was December because it was starting to get dark even though it was only like 6 pm or so. A horrible animal scream came from outside, and it was close. I was sitting at my desk, and I was pretty sure it was no more than 10 or so feet away from the sliding glass door right next to me.

I really couldn't place the sound. No other word but scream would do it justice. It was high-pitched and a little bit throaty with a really rapid wavering quality that sounded kind of unnatural. My first thought was that maybe it was some kind of huge bird. It had a really slight resemblance to a Hawk's scream, but after a minute that didn't seem quite right. I was stumped.

Anyway, I poked my head out to take a look, and it got worse, so I assumed it was responding to me and the noise I was making. There was definitely some distress in the voice, and it was intensely loud. It seemed to be coming from underneath this little deck that comes off the end of the patio. It's sided pretty close to the ground, so there's really no way to get a look under there, and if the animal was in there, it was possibly snowed in, which could explain why it was panicking. I didn't really consider that at the time.

Anyway, it happened a few more times over the next few days, usually around dusk. Eventually it seemed pretty clear that it was some kind of small mammal, and there were definitely more than one. After talking it over, we thought maybe it was an opossum, but I have no idea what kind of sounds they make. There has been a huge one wandering around the yard a bunch of times over the past couple of years, but other than hissing and showing its teeth when startled, it has been silent.

Eventually the noise stopped. So I figured the opossum or whatever had moved along. One night a few weeks later, I happened to see a fox pass through the yard, and both me and my girlfriend are really into foxes, so we wanted to make sure he'd come back. We put out a bowl of cat food in the area where his tracks went through the snow. A day passed and the food was untouched. After another day, not just the food, but the entire bowl was gone, never to be seen again. The snow had melted too much to make out anything from the tracks, but at that point I had a pretty good idea of what I was dealing with under the deck.

Regardless, several months went by without incident, and I had pretty much forgotten about the whole thing. A couple of weeks ago our power was out for a few days after a big storm, so we hung out on the deck pretty much all the time, grilling food and reading and etc. (This is a bigger deck upstairs from the little deck the critters were under.) Around dusk one night, we had been reading in total silence for some time when we heard some rustling.

5 raccoons came out from under the little deck. 5. A mother and 4 little babies.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do about it. I figure I won't even try to mess with anything until the babies are gone, though, or this mom will rip my face off.

Last edited by timmynausea : 07-17-2008 at 08:31 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:23 AM   #27
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Just had my first rodent experience...fun, fun, fun.

My wife went out for the evening with her sister so I was home with my daughters for the night. I got our 10-month old to bed by 7:30 and went back downstairs to hang out with our nearly 3 year old...you know, watch a little Treehouse. Anyway, I was in the washroom when I hear my daughter call for me in a distressed tone but didn't hear anything like her getting hurt or something. I went over to see her and she seemed a little frightened but said she was fine. The next half an hour passed without incident and we headed upstairs to brush her teeth and tuck her in for the night.

After tidying up a little bit, I turned on the Oilers/Ducks game, grabbed a beer, and finally put my feet up after a long week. Ecstatic to see the score already 2-0 for the Oilers something catches my eye over by the couch. Hmmm. Back to the game. Then I see it...a mouse...running from underneath one end of the couch to the other. WTF??

That was a first for me. I've seen mice in fields, on farms, in garages, but never in a house, let alone my house. FUCK. I don't have any mousetraps in the house. My wife wasn't going to be home until at least 10pm and she was going to a show so her phone was off. I called a couple of buddies to see if they were around but I couldn't get a hold any of them. The one neighbour we trust is a teacher and with spring break starting today she and her hubby are on holidays...left last night. So, I can't get my hands on a trap to get this bastard...hopefully it's just a loner!!!

I spent the next two hours trying to figure out how I was going to trap/kill/mame this mouse without a) waking up the girls b) destroying my house and c) getting blood on the walls/carpet/furniture. Fucking mouse...do you think I could get that bastard to go where I wanted it to?? I eventually turned the couches onto their backs so he couldn't hide under them anymore. His only available refuge was under/behind the fridge. After confirming that he was under the fridge I stuffed the bottom and exposed sides with towels so he couldnt get out. At least I know where he was...and hopefully he didn't have any friends.

My wife finally got home and had picked up some mousetraps on the way. She said she was close to puking when she got the message I'd left her earlier...and this is a girl who grew up on a farm...WTF?? Anyways, told her to go upstairs and leave me to the dirty work. I setup 4 traps with a little peanut butter, removed the towels from the bottom of the fridge, turned out the lights and headed upstairs.

We checked our bedroom for droppings but didn't find anything. Checked the closets and bathroom...nothing. We'll check the girls' rooms in the morning. We decided to head downstairs to the basement to check things out. About two seconds after flicking on the lights on the first floor I hear a trap go off. That scared the shit out of me. Sure enough, I'd caught...err, killed...my first mouse. He was still moving when I got there...fuck, that wasn't fun to see. Told my wife to go back upstairs for a few minutes. I waited five minutes to make sure the mouse was good and dead and then tossed him into the trash, cleaned the little bit of blood and took out the garbage immediately.

My wife is still freaked out and I'm sure she won't sleep a wink tonight...or ever again until I prove to her that there are no more mice and that everything is clean...more like, super clean. Ugh.

So, I've left the other traps out just in case there is another one. I honestly don't think there is another one but better safe than sorry. I'm currently sitting at my computer in the basement wondering if every creak and crack I'm hearing above me is some kind of rodent or just the usual noises a house makes.

Fun, fun, fun!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #28
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

For f's sake, thanks for bringing *that* up...

/shudders
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
Bad-example
College Starter

I have two cats living with me in what amounts to a studio apartment. I have a small pet door allowing them to enter and leave as they please. A few weeks ago my little gray cat decided to bring home a live mouse and release it in the room. Between lizards and birds, this has happened roughly a dozen times the last 3 years. This is the first time she brought a mouse inside. My little room is pretty cluttered, so trying to expose and shoo out the mouse was pretty tough (read: impossible).

Lived with the mouse, and with both cats periodically tearing up the room to get at the little bugger, for a couple days. Yeah, that meant pretty much zero sleep. Ended up buying a sticky trap, which worked like a charm within 20 minutes. The poor little fella was pathetically sqeaking and struggling. Considered letting it go but finally decided to bash it with a shovel.

Felt like my karma took a bit of a hit there.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #30
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Anytime I see threads like this I feel compelled to promote the humane mouse trap:

PETA Catalog // Humane 'Smart' Mousetrap

Works like a charm, and is reusable, which you can't say about sticky traps or traditional mouse traps. Plus added bonus: no karma dings!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Got up this morning...can't say I had the soundest sleep...and didn't find another victim in any of my remaining traps. Pulled out the stove and fridge and vaccumed and mopped behind them...no droppings there, thank GOD. We checked the girls rooms and there was no evidence of mice there, either. Fingers crossed.

My wife insisted on calling all the local carpet cleaners to see if there were any cancellations and sure enough the second guys she called showed up within 30 minutes. Throw in a furnance cleaning, which was well overdue, a quick carpet steam and Bob's your uncle. So long as that was the only mouse in the house, we're now happy home again.

After doing a little googling I read a few stories on how our extended winter with more snow than usual will likely result in a higher than normal population of mice. I guess the snow acts as an insulator and the conditions are perfect for such an event...oh goodie!!!! Needless to say, I will be laying traps in the basement for the next week or two...just in case...and I might do the same in the garages, too.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I love my tom cat. I just throw him downstairs for a bit and when I open the door, he's there with 2 dead mice.

Had a snake in the basement once, threw him down there, shut the door. A bit later we open the door he comes out with the snake in his mouth.. lol.. the kids freaked out.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Anytime I see threads like this I feel compelled to promote the humane mouse trap:

PETA Catalog // Humane 'Smart' Mousetrap

Works like a charm, and is reusable, which you can't say about sticky traps or traditional mouse traps. Plus added bonus: no karma dings!

When I first moved into my house, I had a field mouse problem. So I picked up a few of these "humane" traps, and a couple of the classic slap traps. I figured I'd give the little buggers a choice. I'll be damned if I didn't get about 8 of them on the classic traps, and never got a single one in the live traps.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #34
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I love my tom cat. I just throw him downstairs for a bit and when I open the door, he's there with 2 dead mice.

Had a snake in the basement once, threw him down there, shut the door. A bit later we open the door he comes out with the snake in his mouth.. lol.. the kids freaked out.

illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #35
RendeR
Coordinator

We had a rat isue in our garage last summer. Local animal control rounded up all the stray cats in the area (dumbasses) and then everyone bitched because we got rats.

I did a couple rounds of the poison blocks and found a hole they were using and blocked it off. haven't had an issue since then. never found any bodies either. They weren't nesting in there so I'm betting they crawled home to die.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

LMAO illinifan!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #37
tarcone
Coordinator

I bought the electronic devices. You plug it in and supposedly emits a high pitch noise that humans cant hear, but keeps critters away. We have lived here for a little over 2 years and the only problem we have is Japanese Beetles. And those are problem enough.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #38
Warhammer
Pro Starter

When I was twelve, I'm getting ready to get in the shower. Already stripped down, reading a book on the can. Suddenly, I feel something furry between my toes. I flip out. Something furry crawling between your toes while naked on the can is not exactly the most secure feeling.

Anyway, I start screaming, and grab my robe and throw it on. I walk out of the bathroom and the mouse darts into my brother's room. He is about 19 at the time, and jumps on top of the bed and is screaming. My mom comes up stairs, sees the mouse and starts screaming. Its left to me to get the broom a dustbin swap the mouse with the broom, stun it, scoop it up, and let it outside.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I bought the electronic devices. You plug it in and supposedly emits a high pitch noise that humans cant hear, but keeps critters away. We have lived here for a little over 2 years and the only problem we have is Japanese Beetles. And those are problem enough.

How do you know they're Japanese?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #40
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
How do you know they're Japanese?

You look for the one playing the bass left handed and sings, "She ruvs you, yeah, yeah, yeah!"

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #41
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am now Mouse hunting...Emilie is in a panic as it is in our bedroom...I have a broom, a bucket....and a mouse trap...I will see if I can smash it first...if not...the trap gets set.....
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #42
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I am now Mouse hunting...Emilie is in a panic as it is in our bedroom...I have a broom, a bucket....and a mouse trap...I will see if I can smash it first...if not...the trap gets set.....

We can't find the damn thing...my wife is freaking out...and I am laying a trap and closing the door...we will see if he takes the bait...
Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 AM   #43
RainMaker
General Manager

I just saw a nasty sized rat in our alley tonight. They usually spray for them a few times over the Summer but this one seems to have survived. I've never had one get inside my place though which I'm greatful for.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #44
Lorena
Unregistered

Waht better finding a rodent or one of these

Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #45
RainMaker
General Manager

WTF is that??!?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #46
Lorena
Unregistered

dola,

We've had our share of rodents when growing up, but these pests just freak me the hell out. My sister and I were playing Atari 2600 waaay back in the day and she felt something on her leg. Her first thought was it was the cable so we just kept playing. Then she screamed out on pain, threw the remote and blanket and saw one of these running away.

Look at that face. *shudders*

Last edited by Lorena : 07-09-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #47
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
WTF is that??!?

It's a potato bug. Ugly thing ain't it?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #48
ColtCrazy
College Starter

This was years ago when I was living at home. We knew we had a rat...we could hear him gnawing away in the ceiling at night. He avoided traps, we could never catch him. Then, one day I'm chopping some wood for a fireplace my parents had. Dad's out helping as well...he lifts a log and out jumps this rat...massive thing. And what did I have in my hand...an axe. A Chase ensues that would have probably been pretty funny had we had it on tape. I finally trap him around a side of the house and hit him with the axe. I hit him in the side and I raise the axe up to finish him off (rodent or not, I hate seeing any animal suffer)...but as I lift it he stays attached to the axe and he's actively biting the axe. I mean, he is going to town just attack this thing. I drop the axe one more time and he's done. He was one tough mother-f'ing rat to bite down on an axe.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 AM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was up late one night playing sega genesis. Suddenly a mouse trap goes off above me(above the drop ceiling tiles in our basement). Then it proceeds to shake, and make all kinds of noise against the ceiling panel in it's dying throes.

I guess we had a mouse problem, and my mom thought it was a good idea to set the traps there cause you could sometimes hear a mouse running across the tiles.

Not something you forget. I was probably playing Madden 93 or Toejam and Earl at the time.

Another time I got awoken at 9am and I look up and my dad has a tennis racket and he's chasing a bat. Fucking crazyness whenever a bat gets loose in your house, way way fuckin worse than a rat or mouse or anything else non spider.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola

Oh, and a few weeks ago I was leveling out some ground to put a garden in.

Did you know, that if you cut a baby mouse in half with a shovel, both sides will squirm?

I managed to chop about four of the fuckers in half just to be certain.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote