Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

OT: Penn and Teller: Bullshit

Just saw this show on Showtime. Each week they will dispel a "paranormal" myth. This week was psychics, and next week will be reflexology. Interesting show...you can tell it's something they really feel strongly about. I think I'll give it a try. If debunking myths is your cup of tea, I would recommend it!

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:49 PM   #2
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I love when Penn and Teller appear on the Simpsons and Teller speaks and becomes filled with fear and tells Homer that he's not the first Teller...funny.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:16 AM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's a link to the show's schedule, for those interested...

http://www.sho.com/ptbs/schedule.cfm
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

Thanks Definitely looking forward to this. I saw them live a few years ago and they were amazing, a few serious moments where you can tell they really do feel strongly about the occasional serious topic they touch on. They are by far my favorite comedy act around.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:07 AM   #5
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

They didn't do their act in the show that I saw. It was more like Penn and Teller doing an exposé.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
KWhit
Coordinator

Should be a very cool show. By the way, did you guys catch their Super-Bowl prediction?

Before the game, they had written down the Super Bowl score and the MVP on a sheet of paper (that was then signed on the outside by some football commentator (I don't remember who it was). Then they put it in a jar of pickles and suspended it 20 feet in the air in the middle of times square in front of tons of people.

Once the game was over, they had some guy from the audience break the jar open and get the piece of paper. Of course, everything on it was correct.

Of course it was a trick, but it was still very cool - and I have no idea how they did it.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:53 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Then they put it in a jar of pickles...

There's the real genius. Good magic is about 1/3 sleight-of-hand and 2/3 showmanship. Jar of pickles... gold!
Old 01-31-2003, 02:05 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

That was gold, and so perfectly fitting for Penn & Teller........well, I would have suspected a jar of maggots from them, but pickles is good enough.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I thought it was very obvious. I told my wife while we were watching is to keep on eye on the rolled up paper. Sure enough, when the black guy gave the paper to the lady, P&T moved to the left of the screen. But watching her, she put the paper in a purse/bag behind a program/magazine she was holding. Then when P&T asked for it (after getting the sledgehammer?), she reached in her bag of some sort and pulled out the switched paper. You weren't supposed to have seen that but the black guy was actually pointing his finger to the bag as she pulled the paper out again. I have found, after watching the Masked Magician et al, is never let the magician/illusionist distract your attention away from the object(s).
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:12 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I liked the Masked Magician a lot...very informative. I always try to ruin the tricks by disecting the method.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:50 PM   #11
couriers

.Saw the premier last week. Thumbs up. Will definitely tune in on a regular basis.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:23 PM   #12
Jets80
High School Varsity

Penn and Teller suck!

and what the hell does debunking myths mean ?
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:23 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

I loved how they pulled the trick with having one of the psychics they were critisizing be a skeptic/performer. And in the tapings, he did no worse than the ones claiming to be psycics. Just goes to show you...it's all an act.

And how about the waiver people have to sign in order to by on Van Praag's show?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:24 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

dola:

"and what the hell does debunking myths mean ?"

It's really debunking what a lot of people beleive to be true.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:27 PM   #15
Jets80
High School Varsity

What if i dont beleive it. then its just two idiots..one of which just won't say anything.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:56 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Jets80
What if i dont beleive it. then its just two idiots.

Some might say you just missed the count.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:34 PM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just saw the episode on alternative medicine. It's always funny to see how people will go along and heckle the magnet therapists and reflexologists... but when it comes to something more widespread like "chiropractic," things go south a bit.

Overall, I basically like the tone, and definitely love the concept.

Did anyone else notice that one of the four writers was named John McLaughlin? (not sure about spelling) Can't be the same guy...
Old 01-31-2003, 10:51 PM   #18
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

QS

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 09:55 AM   #19
sabotai
General Manager

QS, I agree.

I also think what makes this show good is that they don't just debunk these things, they actually go out and do it themselves to show people that it really is bullshit.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:18 PM   #20
ratpfink
n00b

Oh my, did anyone see the 3rd show where they go to a UFO convention? Holy freakshow, batman!
I guess I was kind of surprised that that many people could be so out of touch with reality...
Old 02-10-2003, 09:46 PM   #21
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm really enjoying the series.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:16 PM   #22
sabotai
General Manager

I missed that because where I was does not get Showtime. But they'll repeat it so I'll see it then.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #23
Atocep
Coordinator

Anyone still watch?

An episode about violent video games aired last night that was very good. They did a great job showing the flaws in the studies done and made Jack Thompson look like a dumbass (not that hard, I know).

I enjoyed the Astrology episode last week as well. I thought the Orgasms episode was one of the worst they've done and was worried the show was headed downhill.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote