Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MLB 2K9

Finally some more screens and a hands-on!

IGN: Major League Baseball 2K9 Preview

Screens look nice... can't wait to see some actual game play.

Quote:
Now the mechanic works like this: Make one move with the right stick and a circle fills, when it reaches its max you make the second motion with the stick. Complete those two steps (you can opt to add the third step through the menus) and your pitch should be spot-on. The difficulty of pitching raises as you progress through a game and your pitcher becomes fatigued. Of course, composure is also a factor so you'll need make sure that your setup man has the fortitude to face Ryan Howard with a man on second and third with nobody out in the eighth inning.

A third? VERY interesting...

Quote:
Rather than having to perfectly time your step with the pitch and then the all-important swing, players can now simply hold down on the right analog and swing when the time is right without fear of looking like a lumberjack chopping wood. This made it much easier to tee off on balls with the big boys of the lineup. That is, once I got the timing down.

This sounds great to me.

Quote:
Other aesthetic differences from MLB 2K8 include a new base throwing meter that is functionally the same as last year (meaning it's still governed by the right stick) and pitches that are identifiable thanks to a flash of color as they cross the plate.

Love the color to determine pitches.. MVP had this.

Quote:
The change starts with a new duo in the booth in Gary Thorne and Steve Phillips. Almost as important is the fact that their comments will now be able to cut off when something exciting happens in the game, then pickup where they left off once things calm down. It might seem small, but the feature helped keep the two commentators from droning on needlessly.

Interesting..

Quote:
2K Share feature that some might remember from NBA 2K9. It lets you give other gamers things like your settings, created players and roster settings.

Glad that's in...

Quote:
MLB 2K9 has some features that baseball nuts will surely appreciate (like the ability to save in the middle of any game)

YES!!!

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
rowech
Pro Starter

I'll still be reading before buying...
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'll still be reading before buying...

I'm with you...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Not to be a bug in the bonnet, but - and it may just be what the preview guys are saying vs. the actual game but...wouldn't it make more sense to flash a pitch color as the ball is released rather than "as they cross the plate"? Isn't it too late by that time?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Not to be a bug in the bonnet, but - and it may just be what the preview guys are saying vs. the actual game but...wouldn't it make more sense to flash a pitch color as the ball is released rather than "as they cross the plate"? Isn't it too late by that time?

I'm looking at it as a tool to learn what the pitcher is throwing early in a game.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I'd like it if the color flashed earlier depending on the batter's ratings. Good hitters would recognize the pitch type earlier than poor hitters.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
I'd like it if the color flashed earlier depending on the batter's ratings. Good hitters would recognize the pitch type earlier than poor hitters.

THAT would be kind of cool.

I guess the point I was making is - if it's a change-up, you'll know by the time it gets to the plate what it was (despite your desperate swing two hours early). And, if it's a fastball, you'll know to start your swing early and not have it blown past you.

However, I agree with Snowman - it would be neat if the timing of the color flash depended on the batter's ability.
how do you know?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oh hell yes!

and i can play nba 2k9 on my laptop so i should be alright graphically!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm still going to get in for the 360 but...

At least hopefully it will breathe new life into PC baseball gaming.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hopefully there will be some quality modding done to it on PC too - maybe some of the old EA-modders who have been modding MVP 05 every year will mod it up instead.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
Galaxy
Coordinator

What's the release date?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

3/3 it ships, but I don't see anything about it being on the pc yet, aside from that article.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

re: pc version - there's a thread on the 2k forums

MLB 2K9 will be on PC - 2K Sports Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits from the developer in the thread

Yes, the PC is a port of the 360/PS3. The controller system will be based on the new system relevant to those systems.

No confirmed release date or word about online quite yet. Those are coming soon.

hopefully it'll be on Steam like NBA 2k9 was, and at that same gorgeous price-point. Fuckin awesome news either way, and unless it's shitty as hell I'll be buyin.

Still can't wait to see our text-sim baseball games for the year too
Old 02-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #15
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Any news of a demo, yet?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

MLB 2K9 was in the media over the weekend, but mostly not for good reasons. First, OS released a hands-on preview. It was a mixed bag with some good and some bad.......

Operation Sports - Major League Baseball 2K9 Hands-On Preview Preview - Xbox 360

Second, there were several reports in the gaming media about 2KSports actually changing the look and configuration of the stadiums to include additional advertising in the stadiums. It's almost gaudy to be honest.

MLB 2K9 Going Overboard with Stadium Advertising | pastapadre.com

Bill Harris even pointed out that they changed the configuration of the left field wall in the Nationals' new stadium to allow room for a big ol' State Farm Insurance (!) advertisement.

Dubious Quality: The Low Road

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-17-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*crash*

that was my hopes and dreams
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

okay wait - i don't mind say their example of wrigley field with the extra statefarm ad outside the wall. what i mind is this talk of making walls taller to add ads in and thus negatively affecting realism
Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
okay wait - i don't mind say their example of wrigley field with the extra statefarm ad outside the wall. what i mind is this talk of making walls taller to add ads in and thus negatively affecting realism

Here's the link showing the actual vs. in-game versions of the Nationals' stadium. You can see the in-game version is noticably taller........

Advertising: MLB 2K9 Ads Pushing Toward Obnoxious
Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*barf*
Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what makes them think people wouldn't notice this? or do they just figure console fanboys will buy it anyways?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that being said - i'm sure PC-modders will be able to take care of most of this (including hopefully dimensions and such). and like i said, the stuff off the field of play I could care less about...it'd be the stuff that changed the dimensions of the game that would irritate the "purist" in me.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-17-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #23
billethius
Mascot

I buy a baseball game every year, and every year I hate it and am done with it within a month. I've finally learned my lesson, though, and won't be purchasing this one after how bad the last two were. If anything, I'll pick up a PS3 and The Show.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #24
sooner333
College Starter

I just wish they would make MVP for Xbox compatable with the 360. Then I would never buy another baseball game (which is probably the case anyway).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #25
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethius View Post
I buy a baseball game every year, and every year I hate it and am done with it within a month. I've finally learned my lesson, though, and won't be purchasing this one after how bad the last two were. If anything, I'll pick up a PS3 and The Show.

That's my plan as well.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I may just keep playing my modded version of MVP 05. Sure it takes half the season for the final to come out, but whatever.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #27
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I may just keep playing my modded version of MVP 05. Sure it takes half the season for the final to come out, but whatever.

I would almost throw down for whatever it costs to get the game, but I'm afraid my graphics card on my laptop might not cut it.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Here's the link showing the actual vs. in-game versions of the Nationals' stadium. You can see the in-game version is noticably taller........

Advertising: MLB 2K9 Ads Pushing Toward Obnoxious

That's ridiculous if you ask me. Slap in the face to customers. I actually like to see games include advertising into them in natural ways. For instance on the rotating billboards behind home plate. I also don't mind calling someone your State Farm Player of the Game or the State Farm Starting Lineups. Adds an element of realism to the game. But changing the actual fields to fit an ad in there is just ridiculous.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #29
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's ridiculous if you ask me. Slap in the face to customers. I actually like to see games include advertising into them in natural ways. For instance on the rotating billboards behind home plate. I also don't mind calling someone your State Farm Player of the Game or the State Farm Starting Lineups. Adds an element of realism to the game. But changing the actual fields to fit an ad in there is just ridiculous.

Agreed, using the real advertising locations in the stadiums adds to the immersion of the game. This shit 2k is pulling though is simply fucking ridiculous.

I hope it doesn't creep into their NBA title but then that would probably be harder to do. Probably (at least I hope they can't) can't bastardize the courts and the stands really aren't that visible. But after seeing this who's to say they won't take out the court-side seats
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #30
SnowMan
High School Varsity

The could turn the entire court into one big billboard!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #31
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Agreed, using the real advertising locations in the stadiums adds to the immersion of the game. This shit 2k is pulling though is simply fucking ridiculous.

I hope it doesn't creep into their NBA title but then that would probably be harder to do. Probably (at least I hope they can't) can't bastardize the courts and the stands really aren't that visible. But after seeing this who's to say they won't take out the court-side seats

I don't get why they don't utilize the scrolling banners in NBA 2K. I'd love to see up-to-date ads on those.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

While MBBF points out the bad.. there is also some good from the 2k9 camp.

Seems like the latest preview copy is much smoother and has some AI fixes as well:

MLB 2K9 Diary: Part 2

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=3913651

Practice mode:

http://gamecinemahd.com/video/major_league_baseball_2k9/3863

Hands on preview from G4:

http://g4tv.com/xplay/videos/36764/Hands-On-Preview-Major-League-Baseball-2K9.html
Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I haven't played NBA 2k9 so I've never heard of the "living roster" feature before, but MLB 2k9 also has this and I love the idea behind it.

OS moderator Steve has posted many videos and it looks to me like VC has done a lot with this game in one year.

We'll see how many bugs sneak past the testers...
Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Developer diary #3: Franchise mode

Seems like VC is really re-working this game!

Major League Baseball 2K9 Developer Diary: Franchise Mode - Operation Sports
Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #35
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Developer diary #3: Franchise mode

Seems like VC is really re-working this game!

Ugh. Don't do this to yourself again this year, 'Rah. I just don't want you waking up in bed the next morning realizing the beer goggles have worn off.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-19-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Ugh. Don't do this to yourself again this year, 'Rah. I just don't want you waking up in bed the next morning realizing the beer goggles have worn off.

lol

If it's bad, I'll move on.. plenty of great console games to take up my time, along with BM 10 or ootp 10 if I so choose to purchase.

I honestly think it will get decent reviews...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #37
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Reading about it and seeing the videos - I've been pleasantly surprised by what I see regarding 2K9 this year. While I still won't consider purchasing it, I think the VC crew has gone a long way in making 2K9 relevant again. I really look forward to seeing what they can do for 2K10.
how do you know?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Reading about it and seeing the videos - I've been pleasantly surprised by what I see regarding 2K9 this year. While I still won't consider purchasing it, I think the VC crew has gone a long way in making 2K9 relevant again. I really look forward to seeing what they can do for 2K10.

2k8 on the 360 outsold MLB: The Show on the PS3, so I would argue that it was relevant last year. I'm also pleasantly surprised by the improvements I'm seeing in the 2k9 videos. It is taking steps to become enjoyable again.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-20-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
2k8 on the 360 outsold MLB: The Show on the PS3, so I would argue that it was relevant last year.

I'm sure there are many 360 fans that are hoping that they might improve on the 2K game and make it relevant again. If The Show was published on the 360, the MLB 2K series likely would have trouble even surviving. It's actually a blessing for 2K that The Show is only on the PS3 as it gives 2K a quasi-exclusive audience on the 360. It's the best option on the 360 console, for what that's worth.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-20-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

one of these days i'll get myself a ps3...
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #41
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Demo has been released on the 360. The PS3 version of the demo will be released tomorrow with the regular Thursday weekly update.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #42
rowech
Pro Starter

Just played the game a couple of times. First off, I think it's MUCH improved. I felt like the game actually flowed a bit, the commentary is much better with Thorne and Phillips, the animations better, cut scenes aren't as choppy, etc. They have some nice little things that are new additions but the curse is still the fact that hitting is just way too easy. I can hit a homerun just about every time. Perhaps it's just demo settings but you hold left stick up and the direction to pull, right stick back, right stick forward and it almost doesn't matter what pitch the guy pitches if you time it right...it'll be a homerun.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

rowech, the demo is on easy..

I've read many hands on and early impressions and hr's are not an issue at least on harder difficulties.. plus with the retail copy, you can switch to cursor based hitting.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #44
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I wish this had manage only mode
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #45
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. I loved 2k7 and could not stand 2k8... 2k9 has REALLY improved.

I haven't had this much fun since my last NCAA 09 game two days ago!

Frame rate is stellar, pitching/hitting is stellar.. real time atmosphere, stellar..

I'm impressed....
Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #46
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

VC did a HELL of a job in 1 year!!!

Graphics are better than 2k8, but not as good as 2k7.. BUT OVERALL, the game is smooth and I love the pitching and hitting. I have no doubts that once I get the game and play on the next highest difficulty.. I will be in baseball gaming heaven.

I don't care about the goofy stuff.. I just want to have fun and with this demo, I'm having fun.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #47
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

pc demo?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's PastaPadre's impressions. Similar to most of the impressions in general thus far. Some potential along with some issues.......

MLB 2K9 Demo Impressions and Videos | pastapadre.com
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Who cares about PastaPadre?

Draw your own conclusions...

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-25-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Who cares about PastaPadre?

Draw your own conclusions...

You said that last year after I posted his negative impressions. We know how that worked out.

FWIW.....most seem to be saying it's an improvement over last year's version while still having some warts. I'm going to give it a try this afternoon on the PS3 just to see what they've worked on to improve this past year.