Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Tim Tellean
High School JV

Legal Video Game Trading?

Okay I'm too lazy to type all this but basically these guys are up the road from me in College Park, Md. I saw the website in a press release and pass it along for your thoughts? Personally it seems to be to be skirting the line of legality. Oh and so people don't think I work for them I don't!!

http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/about_howitworks.asp

Goozex is the new innovative system developed and tested by video-gamers for video-gamers. Goozex provides a unique trading platform that allows peer-to-multi-peer trading of physical goods. The company delivers the following services:

* Peer-to-multi-peer trading platform
* Community experience
* Video game reviews and multi-media information on the products

The system allows users to trade their video games in exchange for Goozex points, which can then be used to receive video games from other users. This helps gamers avoid paying enormous amounts of cash for games. Goozex runs on an internal currency that is dictated by points that are assigned to each game. The only payment that members make to Goozex is a payment of $1 transaction fee for each video game they receive.

Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Wait, what?

Like, PC games sent via peer-to-peer?

Hello, lawsuit.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's more like Ebay. You trade someone a game(mail it to them) and get points for it. Then you use those points to "buy" a game from someone else who has made it available.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

That was my first thought, and I was going to mention GameTZ, but the peer-to-peer bit had me wondering.

That would simplify things, compared to GameTZ's 'haggling in a bazaar' method, but on the other hand, who sets the point values?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

sounds like lala.com except with video games instead of music
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Bump. Trying to spice up some PS3 trading! I guess this site is really busy with 360, Wii, and PC. Great site which I've used a lot since the summer. I've gotten a ton of new games sent to me on a regular basis. I'm hoping someone is close to done with NBA 2k8 or NHL 2k8 since I'm 2nd in line for both games (PS3)!!!!!!

Enjoy!
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Goozex is probably the way to go on PS3 games. I know GameTZ is practically bone-dry for them.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

How is this illegal if you own the games?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

This isn't.

What I was confused about this time last year was what kind of trading it was Goozex was supposed to be doing.

Turns out, it's sort of another take on the GameTZ model.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
Terps
College Prospect

I use liongames.com for my trading. I guess it's based out of an actual store in CT, but they always have new games for below retail. I traded Madden, APF and MLB The Show recently to get a brand new NBA 2K8 and got $80 for the trades, and still $15 in store credit left after shipping. I also could've got the money leftover deposited into my PayPal account if I chose to.

They always have some good trade in deals also, and also sell used games. One was trade in 2 games and get Tiger Woods 08 for ~$42. But, that's the price before they take the games you traded in into account.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Just wanted to say I just joined goozex here lately and it's pretty cool. They are doing a special this month. If you join you get 100 free points (equal to any cheap game). Here's a link if anyone wants to join:

hxxp://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=558898177711

Put me (kingnebwsu) down for a referral and I get 100 bonus points

You can put almost any game up there for trade. They even have some text games up there. I traded away Orange Box (360) and Civ IV expansion and now I have 1550 points. 1000 points is equal to a new $60 game. Most $50 games are 900 when they come out. Points fluctuate depending on supply/demand.

It was a bit weird at first. But now that I understand things it's pretty cool. Only downside is you won't be able to get games on release day. I'll have to use this site for games I want but don't *need* on day one.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Shameless bump. Thanks to the two guys who signed up...as I will get 100 free points when you complete your first trade. Just wanted to keep the news up about this site & their special in April of getting a free 100-point game when you sign-up.

That is all
Old 04-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #13
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

For anybody who still has "questions" about it, goozex is also the game-trading vehicle of choice for the CheapAssGamer community. The guys seem to be pretty good guys, they've even come out to CAG meet-up's in the DC area, and have offered prizes and stuff for the CAG community. Given how seriously CheapyD takes advertising of illegal things including piracy etc, it strikes me that these guys are probably on the up and up.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Great....now I am hoping that you got your points kingnebwsu, because I just signed up a week ago. Sent out my first game and I am awaiting the points after the positive review. I got a slew of PC games that I can get quite a bit of points on.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for that, Antmeister Every 100 points helps. I got 200 already from FOFC'ers plus 100 more coming from your signup. Thanks guys (and anyone who wants to sign up under my invite is welcome to also).

It's a great place to get rid of PC games. Since Gamestop/Game Crazy/Game Rush don't trade in games, you can make a killing on goozex.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Any one still doing this? I went to the site and it looks pretty good if it works as advertised.

I'd like to get rid of some older games and trade for games like NHL09 that I can never justify paying $60 for since I know I won't have enough time to actually get in full seasons.

Questions for those that have done this..

Do you only pay the $1 fee if you are getting a game or do both the sender and receiver pay?

Do you suggest using paypal?

Have you run into any negatives using this service?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #17
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Any one still doing this? I went to the site and it looks pretty good if it works as advertised.

I'd like to get rid of some older games and trade for games like NHL09 that I can never justify paying $60 for since I know I won't have enough time to actually get in full seasons.

Do you only pay the $1 fee if you are getting a game or do both the sender and receiver pay?

I'd recommend the site 100%. I still use it, have done over 100 trades with only a few issues that were all solved by either both parties involved, or with help from Goozex support. It's great to have for trading off a new game when you get bored with it, and you can always pick it back up later when it drops in points.

You only pay 1$ trade credit when requesting a game. I've never used paypal but I know there are a lot of people who use it for shipping. I wouldn't say there were any negatives outside of a few obvious drawbacks - your points have no monetary value, you can't sell them, trade them in for money ect. To get a new release, you have to get in line within a couple hours of it being added (sometimes within 10 minutes 50+ people will have it requested). And you also get the most out of the system by having a little patience, and keeping your library built up and active.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #18
Galaril
Pro Starter

I agree it is a great service. I have never payed anything as far as I know to get games. I just make sure I have enough credits and a trade game point to trad esomething. I have a few for trade right now actually and am looking for the Ice Wind Dale Collection from there.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 AM   #19
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
How is this illegal if you own the games?

I don't know about USA laws, but at least in Spain, and i guess it's the same in every country, when you buy a game, or music, or movie, or book, you don't own the game/music/movie/book but the rights to play/listen/watch/read it. So you can't legally trade something you don't own, the same way that you can't setup a cinema at your home and show a movie there for money.

Of course i'm not saying that its right or defending that, just pointing the key argument used by the industry against reselling or trading music, games, videos or books.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #20
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the ifo.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #21
SportsDino
College Prospect

If they are mailing the physical games it is legal (I would think). Electronic download would be illegal (copyright).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #22
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I don't know about USA laws, but at least in Spain, and i guess it's the same in every country, when you buy a game, or music, or movie, or book, you don't own the game/music/movie/book but the rights to play/listen/watch/read it. So you can't legally trade something you don't own, the same way that you can't setup a cinema at your home and show a movie there for money.

Of course i'm not saying that its right or defending that, just pointing the key argument used by the industry against reselling or trading music, games, videos or books.

This site is definitely not doing anything illegal. They are just allowing people to trade games (HARDCOPY) same as anywhere on the internet.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #23
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

yes, it work well, especially when considering how Gamestop rips you on trade-ins.

I bought Pure over Christmas and played it a bit, but didn't really like it as much as i thought i would. I ran it up on Goozex and got 1000 points for it. that's a bit more than i payed for it, but it all works out.
In return, I got GTA 4 and Lost Odyssey, although I had to buy 100 more points to get LO. I will definately use this service again.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #24
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I went ahead and signed up today. Listed a few games so now it's wait and see time. Thanks again to those that helped out.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #25
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Build an 'on hold' list. Put all your new games that you aren't ready to trade on hold, and any game you think you might want later but not soon, put it on hold for request. That way when you get bored with something and you want to trade it, you can activate it and be close to the top of the line to trade it or receive it.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #26
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Build an 'on hold' list. Put all your new games that you aren't ready to trade on hold, and any game you think you might want later but not soon, put it on hold for request. That way when you get bored with something and you want to trade it, you can activate it and be close to the top of the line to trade it or receive it.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #27
dervack
College Prospect

Not that I like to bump old threads, but it looks like Goozex has just started trading movies on their site as well. Blu-ray, DVD, Hd-DVD and UMD.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #28
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Not that I like to bump old threads, but it looks like Goozex has just started trading movies on their site as well. Blu-ray, DVD, Hd-DVD and UMD.

Yup I have traded movies myself.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #29
dervack
College Prospect

I was using dvdswap, but now im going to cash out the credits I have there and just use goozex. I don't trade away many of movies, just doubles of movies that I get suckered into buying special editions of.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote