Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Left 4 Dead

Anyone interested in Valve's newest game, coming out soon? I pre-ordered it and have been enjoying the early access demo - I believe the full demo comes out on the 11th.

So far it's quite a fun game, it does a great job of simulating survivors fighting against waves (and I do mean waves) of zombies. The basic premise is there are four survivors working as a team to get through levels to reach a safe house at the end. You start with various weapons, and can find more throughout the levels, as well as explosives and ammo supplies. There is a lot of destructable environment in the game, so as you explore you can blast through doors, destroy objects, etc.

The game experience is a real roller coaster - sometimes you see a few passive zombies in a room, but other times (without warning) dozens of them will start swarming you, and you have to gun them down or use a melee attack to knock them back. If your teammates are knocked down you have to revive them and there's a lot of teamwork in terms of dealing with the dreaded Boss Zombies. These are four zombies with special powers who cause a lot of havoc - the Hunter can leap huge distances, and pin a player, the smoker has a huge tongue that will grab a player and start dragging him away, the Boomer will explode when shot, and his "goo" will attract more zombies, and semi-blind you, and the Tank is a huge zombie who is amazingly tough and hard to take down.

What's great is the "AI director" which makes sure the game is different each time. The director controls not only the number of zombies, and where they are, but also sound effects, changes to the map (some areas may be blocked off, forcing you to go a different way,) and the placement of the Boss Zombies. The zombies are not only really fast but they can climb - so you'll be looking around thinking you're safe when all of a sudden zombies start jumping down from rooftops, climbing fences, and swarming you in a hurry.

All in all, there's a lot to like here. I love that it's very cooperative - there's really no reward to try being a loner - you'll just get killed easier and weaken your team. There's voice and text chat, plus your character will yell out things like "Reloading!" or "Better help soandso!" There's also (in the full game) a versus mode, where 4 players play the heroes, and 4 players play the boss zombies.

Sounds like fun for the FOFC gang!

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Calis
College Starter

I pre-ordered this as well because I'm a sucker for anything Zombie-related.

Really had a blast with the demo. Definitely looks to be one of the best coop games around, and I've really enjoyed the games I've played with just random pickup groups so I'd love to play with an FOFC group.

Some really neat stuff with that AI Director also. I've seen some people already drop the map assets from Counter-Strike Maps into Left 4 Dead and the Director works with it, increasing and decreasing the zombie spawns and such. It's really neat, but obviously the map isn't made for the type of gameplay, but it bodes well for people modding down the road. I even saw some people that filled Portal with Left 4 Dead zombies.

I was able to use a few console commands to get access to playing the infected side and that was really fun as well.

Shaping up to be a very good game.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
hukarez
College Starter

I pre-ordered this.

I'm told that Valve is offering an additional $5 off the game for those who pre-ordered. Not sure if this will apply to future (or existing) Valve games, but essentially it'll come down to $49.99 for me at the counter when I pick it up.

EDIT:

On a side note - WAAAY too many games coming out this month that's overwhelming me! Been playing Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 and enjoying the hell out of that game, but L4D, EndWar, GoW2, Fable 2, The Last Remnant and Chrono Trigger are titles that I really want to pick up, but would have to wait considerably for before I can scoop them all up..
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 11-10-2008 at 10:31 AM.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Pre-ordered too. Call of Duty 5 tonight, then L4D soon. Then I am done till January.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've been looking forward to this for a while. My PC wont be able to run it, so I will have to check it out on the Xbox 360.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I will add - This will tide me over until Resident Evil 5 .. Online co-op? Oh fuck yes.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Picked this up this morning .. Played online with some buddies on hard .. My favorite MP experience ever. It's so amazing. Words don't do it justice. Hard makes me want to eyefuck myself though. It's so god damned hard. We took a break and plan on starting back on normal to get used to it, then try our luck again on hard.

I cannot suggest this game enough.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Picked this up this morning .. Played online with some buddies on hard .. My favorite MP experience ever. It's so amazing. Words don't do it justice. Hard makes me want to eyefuck myself though. It's so god damned hard. We took a break and plan on starting back on normal to get used to it, then try our luck again on hard.

What he said.

If you like Co-op shooters or a fan of TF2 then you'll love this. Just keep in mind that the game is not fun in single player.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-18-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What he said.

If you like Co-op shooters or a fan of TF2 then you'll love this. Just keep in mind that the game is not fun in single player.

Agreed totally.

I'll be on XBL later on today or late tonight if anyone who has it wants to play.

My XBL name is DeToxRox.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I played the demo over the weekend with my brother. It was awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Detox, I know you can play 2 player co-op split-screen on one counsel. Can you play 4 player co-op split-screen on one Xbox as well?

Or do you need to system-link or go on-line (2 players per machine) to get 4 player co-op?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I played the demo over the weekend with my brother. It was awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Detox, I know you can play 2 player co-op split-screen on one counsel. Can you play 4 player co-op split-screen on one Xbox as well?

Or do you need to system-link or go on-line (2 players per machine) to get 4 player co-op?

I am under the impression you can play 4 people on one screen. Don't quote me on it but when I picked it up today the guy at Gamestop talked as if he and his buddies played it last night when he left work on one TV.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

I played the demo and it's tons of fun. Should be picking this up soon. Only problem is there are so many good games out right now.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Just got the game and according to the manual and from my attempts at trying it you can only play up to two players split-screen.

However, both of you can then play online.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
Just got the game and according to the manual and from my attempts at trying it you can only play up to two players split-screen.

However, both of you can then play online.

Bummer.

That was the impression I got after looking into it a bit more.

Disappointing since if any game should come with 4 player split screen it's this one.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Bummer.

That was the impression I got after looking into it a bit more.

Disappointing since if any game should come with 4 player split screen it's this one.

Honestly HB, I couldn't fathom playing this split screen, let alone 4 people on one. Shit comes at you from every direction. It'd be impossible.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Honestly HB, I couldn't fathom playing this split screen, let alone 4 people on one. Shit comes at you from every direction. It'd be impossible.
I agree, I don't think you can appreciate the game split-screen.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #17
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Really fantastic game - I love it. It's great because it really makes you work as a team, even when playing with strangers. With voice chat, people are communicating and are more organized than in most games of this style. The way the zombies attack, the keen of a watch, rumbling as a tank approaches, etc, are all excellent. I think one of my favorite parts is how destructible the game world is - need to shoot through a window? No problem. Shoot a painting and it flies off the wall with a bullet hole in the wall behind it. Shotgun blast through a door, and you can see the zombies as they pile up in front of it (until they destroy the door completely, of course.)

Just a great game all around.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I agree, I don't think you can appreciate the game split-screen.

I played it split-screen with and had a blast. I could see where 4 player might get overwhelming.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:00 AM   #19
Atocep
Coordinator

Got a chance to play some 3v3 and 4 player co-op last night and although this game isn't going to be for everyone, if you this is the type of game you're interested in its as good as it gets.

I can't imagine a more fun FPS co-op experience.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #20
hawk4669
High School JV

Got home from work this morning and played split-screen with the wife. Holy cow, what a riot!

Tons of fun, and can get pretty intense. I was laughing hysterically not only at stuff happening in the game, but how the wife and I were talking to each other.

"Cover me, I'm reloading!!" "I've got your back!" etc etc etc. Not your typical married couple banter.

We finished the first campaign and will be on the the second later.

If we're on, hit us up on XBL. I'm Billntip, and she appropriately enough, is Tiffnbill.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org

Last edited by hawk4669 : 11-20-2008 at 01:47 PM.
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
I was laughing hysterically not only at stuff happening in the game, but how the wife and I were talking to each other.

"Cover me, I'm reloading!!" "I've got your back!" etc etc etc. Not your typical married couple banter.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #22
Calis
College Starter

This mod has made me laugh way more than it should have. It's a must-have for any PC players of the game. It's the Randy Savage Mod for Left 4 Dead. There's a youtube video included in the link.

“Macho Man” Randy Savage mod for Left 4 Dead

It's a thing of beauty.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good stuff there Calis.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Who's up for some Left 4 Dead tonight?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #25
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I can't get enough of this game..
Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

I bought this, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #27
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I might be looking for a game sometime today. I've played a little bit alone, but haven't tried online yet.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I got on last night with a couple of friends. I wish I had checked this thread, Mizzou. I would have invited you to join.

It was a blast. I am not very good at this game.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We need to set up a night to play a little.. this game is fantastic!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What platform is everyone playing on?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #31
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm playing it on the 360. My tag is BrianLD. Feel free to add me and send an invite if you see me on. Or send me your tags and I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'm playing it on my PC.

My tag is: Ajax19

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-12-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

360.. MizzouRah0971

I'll ping you this week Brian!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #34
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
360.. MizzouRah0971

I'll ping you this week Brian!

Sounds good. I have already added you, so you should see a friend request. I should have lots of availability on Wednesday and Thursday. The rest of the week is a little bit tight.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Sounds good. I have already added you, so you should see a friend request. I should have lots of availability on Wednesday and Thursday. The rest of the week is a little bit tight.

Those nights are fine for me!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #36
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Those nights are fine for me!

What time do you guys think you'll play? I could hook up with you two if the timing is right... Gamertag is Pronk32

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #37
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've been playing so much Team Fortress 2 I haven't been doing much Left 4 Dead lately, but I'd love to play with some of you guys sometime.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #38
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

My tag is PRBoricua23 on Xbox Live if anybody wants to play some L4D.

I love this game.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #39
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just post a time and I'll get on if I'm around... I'm in the central time zone..
Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #40
Kodos
Resident Alien

Finally got a chance to fire this one up last night. It was fun, but I died trying to get to the helicopter. I got swarmed, and my cpu buddies were all already on the helicopter. Thanks, guys!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #41
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Finally got a chance to fire this one up last night. It was fun, but I died trying to get to the helicopter. I got swarmed, and my cpu buddies were all already on the helicopter. Thanks, guys!

I had the same thing happen, but it was my own fault. I was trying to back my way into the chopper while gunning down everyone I could - in true action movie fashion - and I accidentally side-stepped off the landing and down one level. I couldn't find the way back up before I ran into a tank.

In Memory Of:
BrianLD
Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #42
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I've been playing so much Team Fortress 2 I haven't been doing much Left 4 Dead lately, but I'd love to play with some of you guys sometime.

Was playing a lot of TF2 simply because my old PC couldnt really run L4D.

Just got a new rig and the game , its pretty amazing. Must have if you are a zombie fan.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #43
SportsDino
College Prospect

This game soaked up two days of my life when I first played it. I'm avoiding it like the plague until I get some free time...

But the concept is good and addictive. It can use some more variants in the objects/entities in the game world (i.e. give the AI director more zombie types and objects to choose from so that you really start to feel like every level you don't know what is coming up). This could be a modder's or content expansion fan's dream, especially if they make the level director just a touch more variable (and hopefully it is already scalable).

The quality of your team is critical, I was a noob, but a well intentioned one, and one veteran actually thought it was one of his funner games because he thought of himself as the grizzled survivalist helping a panicky piece of zombie bait. But I also followed directions, and apologized when in true zombie movie fashion I did something completely retarded and set a horde of zombies on us. In particular I had a problem with doing the 'oh f***' shoot when boomers where close (because zombies freak me the hell out) and subsequently getting mobbed.

Versus mode is a great concept with playing as the villains, its almost two games in one really as a lot of the techniques and playing styles change dramatically.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #44
SportsDino
College Prospect

dola, one reason I hope for more variability is I also played games (once I was a little practiced) with some obvious pros. And I learned quick enough so I was proficient at least... and the game was not as fun. With a mix of players with personality the game is a lot more seat of your pants... with experts who have the levels down cold, the play got very mechanical. Humans are just too smart sometimes!

But ya, using all the tricks and replaying the level too much actually makes the game worst in my opinion. The best thing is the feeling of 'oh crap its a zombie apocalypse, what the heck do we do'... not the achievement of getting through the level perfectly but in a very 'gamey' way (i.e. exploiting artificial chokepoints or AI weaknesses, taking the perfect path, etc..)

Also the level design really needs to break from the 'corridor' design (A to B along a path X with some shortcuts/variability, but an obvious progression)... and make some levels with a more free roam feel (like a hospital or a small town, which you can go in any direction). This game is begging for an 'assault' mode (some of the finale's already do this) where you are trying to defend survive in some territory as the primary objective. Also a mode with temporary safe houses (as in you can refresh and such, but the safe house is destructible so the zombies will not be held off forever) spread at random across a free roam territory, and then some final safe house (that could also be random) which you can stay in to complete the level. If you don't know how you will get to safety, you only know something general (like a helicopter is coming and the final safe house is going to be a building with a flat roof) it will emphasize the strengths of the AI Director design even more. Complete goal and level variability will make this very replayable, although certainly harder in difficulty (just make it a mode you can pick).
Old 02-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #45
Ryan S
Quarterback

Left 4 Dead is half price on Steam this weekend.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #46
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've been playing it quite a bit. I've actually managed to get me and three good friends on for some decent stretches.

The game is a ton of fun. I love it.

I am definitely looking forward to some new maps and new game modes.

Valve recently announced that they will be releasing a small expansion pack. Included in it will be a new mode called "Survival". This mode will see up to four player set records for the longest time surviving hordes of zombies on over 12 maps. Not sure if these are old maps or new.

They are also expanding the "Versus" play to Dead Air and Death Toll.

No word on new maps for the Campaign mode or new weapons or anything like that.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #47
SportsDino
College Prospect

Add a flamethrower and chainsaw, necessary for any zombie apocalypse...
Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #48
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I had no idea this game was available on PC. I'm buying it today.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #49
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wish I had more time to play this. Right now my very limited gaming time is pretty much used up on my NCAA 09 online dynasty.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #50
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I so want to go ahead and just buy a 360 and buy the game as well.

Gah, the decisions I have to make!