Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Neighbor Rant

For years I have tolerated my neighbors, and after what happened yesterday I am finally going to put up a fence, and I hate the fact that I have to spend the money on a fence because they aren't considerate.

For years they have rode their quads at all hours of the night, shot off fireworks some of which land on my deck and roof, don't leash their dog and it craps in my yard, watch as their kids trounce through my flower beds for their balls, watch their kids torment my dog (while its on a leash outside), and pick up the garbage that gets blown in my yard cause they are too lazy to keep it contained. I have asked numerous times for them to be considerate, to which my neighbor just laughs...says ok he will do it...two weeks later its back to the old garbage.

So yesterday their kids are running through my yard to get a ball, my dog doesn't like them cause of the years of being teased and tormented, so she barks. The neighbor then scolds my wife for the dog being "annoying" and barking too much. She tells him to take it up with my husband when he (I) get home...and he yells at her "I am talking to you right NOW and you need to take care of it."

So I am not exactly happy with all of this...but the wild card is that I am pretty sure he deals drugs and has a few screws loose. But I am going to say something to him. Any way...I just wish that he and his family would just keep to themselves.

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Added note...I have half the notion to call the dog catcher on him since his dog is never on a leash and doesn't have a license.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

Bad neighbors suck. I have a rental across the street from me and I have had to deal with some good ones.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Bad neighbors suck. I have a rental across the street from me and I have had to deal with some good ones.

Years ago they moved away for a year and a half but moved back cause they couldn't sell the house. The neighbor above him put up a fence then...I should have taken his advice and put mine in too at that time.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

That sucks. I always just swear complicated revenge in these scenarios, but the most adult response is to build a fence. There's a reason there's a saying about fences and good neighbors.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 04-10-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

My uncle had crazy neighbors, they but up a no sex offenders allowed on property sign facing his house but where people passing could still kinda see it. Someone down the the street called the police and they made them take it down. So he bought some shrubs, in a year or so they were so big they were much better than a fence and much more privacy. Sucked for them though, as they couldn't see anything.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
My uncle had crazy neighbors, they but up a no sex offenders allowed on property sign facing his house but where people passing could still kinda see it. Someone down the the street called the police and they made them take it down. So he bought some shrubs, in a year or so they were so big they were much better than a fence and much more privacy. Sucked for them though, as they couldn't see anything.
You are seriously insane.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

No advice...other than we pretty much did the same.
It wasn't so much the immediate neighbors (although eventually issues there too), but neighborhood kids who decided our yard was the best cut through from our street to the road behind us.

Basically, people suck. Period.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
You are seriously insane.

The shrubs are 5 feet thick and over 15 feet high. Go along the neighbors whole property line, that's some insanely good privacy.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
cougarfreak
College Starter

I always read these to make sure it's not me (not really). When we lived in our old house, there was a drug addicted vietnam vet across the street. He was a decent guy, but his whole house was a huge stereo (no joke). You could see into his living room and he had a couch, and huge, huge speakers, equalizers, etc. His music was so loud it would literally shake my house. After we had out daughter, I asked him a couple of times to keep it down. When he didn't, I just started complaining to the city cops on a noise ordinance. I did this over, and over, until I finally moved. We have had empty lots on both sides of us for a couple of years, and now they're filling up. No problems yet, but my next house is going to be on a couple of acres, and no neighbors.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 04-10-2013 at 01:50 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, sucky situation Sak. Really nothing you can do other than build a fence. As much as you might want to retaliate in some way, or even vent and yell at the guy, remember that he lives next door - the problem won't go away, and could escalate in a way that you won't like.

Best to keep your emotions in check as much as possible and build the fence.

That said, I'm sure it would be difficult to not respond to the comment about your dog - on your property no less - making noise, given how little regard your neighbors have for property boundaries.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

10ft privacy fence. Paint his side in the gay rainbow before installing.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

He lives next to Fred Phelps?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

Better yet, paint it after installing. Wearing only patriotic undies.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That said, I'm sure it would be difficult to not respond to the comment about your dog - on your property no less - making noise, given how little regard your neighbors have for property boundaries.

I was going to remind him that it is the law that dogs be either put on a leash or in a confined area outside. And also tell him how my dog had no problem with his kids until they started teasing it. If they want to get their ball, come knock on the front door and I will get it for them.

Unfortunately I cannot do the whole privacy fence thing since my yard is very narrow and long. I just can't afford to drop that kind of money. It's about 300 feet deep. So I am going to buy some field fence and plant shrubs in front of it so that it blocks the view when they grow in.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-10-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

You may want to do both a fence and the plants thing. At my folks' house, there's the dog run which serves for a fence, but there's also a row of large lilac bushes in front of the run that makes a double barrier.

It's also less likely to upset your neighbors if you plant stuff, because it adds some greenery and makes it look prettier.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

plant along his property the thorniest, prickiest bushes you can afford. Let his kids get their ball out of THAT.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hire Dikembe Mutombo to swat the ball (and the kids) back into their own yard?

(Sorry to hear it, I'm fortunate right now but I've been there before...)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:

I've "heard" if you put up a fence - you have to put the "good side" facing the neighbors yard.

I also "heard" you need their permission to put up a fence that borders their property.

Note : Both or either of those thoughts could be completely wrong. I heard them from "Random Joe" on the breakroom picnic table during lunch one day at work. You know the guy - once in a while he's right, and most of the time he's way off, but he knows everything about everything - so I have no idea if it's at all accurate.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I've "heard" if you put up a fence - you have to put the "good side" facing the neighbors yard.

I also "heard" you need their permission to put up a fence that borders their property.

Note : Both or either of those thoughts could be completely wrong. I heard them from "Random Joe" on the breakroom picnic table during lunch one day at work. You know the guy - once in a while he's right, and most of the time he's way off, but he knows everything about everything - so I have no idea if it's at all accurate.
Well, local regulations are all over the map. That said, it's extremely hard for me to imagine that placing a fence within your property line requires any kind of permission from the neighbor, unless there's something especially obnoxious or weird about it.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
Dutch
"Dutch"

In Louisiana, the posts can face outward (for a wooden/plastic fence). In Florida, the posts have to face inward.

The regulations are written in favor of either the landowner (LA) or for the aesthetics of the neighborhood (FLA).
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post

Sak, I can say in PA, the "good" side should face out. Or at least that is what we were told. Whether that's written law...or just the "right way", not certain.

Ours is with the "good" side out. While being installed, the installer commented how the fence of a neighbor on the street behind us (I'm on a double lot, one of two double lots on my road. My neighbor on the right has 1/2 the backyard we do, as there is a house on the dead end road behind us, directly behind her) was "wrong"...and that if I ever wanted to piss that guy off, I should call the borough manager to check out his fence, and he'd have to tear it down.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yeah, sucky situation Sak. Really nothing you can do other than build a fence. As much as you might want to retaliate in some way, or even vent and yell at the guy, remember that he lives next door - the problem won't go away, and could escalate in a way that you won't like.

Yup, I have a really bad neighbor as well, and I always have to remember that he has MUCH more time on his hands than me so if I try something he'll have all the time in the world to retaliate.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I had a buddy who had a bad neighbor. One day his neighbor yelled at his wife similar to your situation. It was just minutes before my friend came home from work to find his wife crying over the neighbor's tirade and threats. So my buddy marched out his front door only to find his neighbor, a great big dude, stalking up his walk yelling now at him.

Cut to the wife seeing the scene outside the window, so she dials 911. As she is urging the operator to send help quick she sees her husband beat the bejeesus out of the neighbor who threw the first punch.

Two days later all of my buddy's friends showed up to build a fence all of the way to the street.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

They can't make a fence with two good sides?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #26
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
plant along his property the thorniest, prickiest bushes you can afford. Let his kids get their ball out of THAT.

Plant some of this and the ball will deflate on contact.

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
spleen1015
Coordinator

You need a moat!

With crocodiles!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #28
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
They can't make a fence with two good sides?

They do, but you pay more
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Plant some of this and the ball will deflate on contact.

I like this idea. If your neighbor comes over to talk to you about it, point at the cacti and say, "That's the only kind of prick we want in our yard. Tell your rat-faced progeny to stay off our fucking lawn."

Yeah, my social skills are pretty awful.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

Nice.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #31
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

A little update. I think they are moving...there was a moving van there on Saturday and they would load stuff up...drive away and come back for more. I am not 100% sure but it looks like I won't have to put up the fence after all.

However, I came home from work today to find their dog sitting on their stoop. There isn't anyone at home and I am starting to feel bad for the dog because it is thundering and raining outside. I have no idea why they would just leave it outside.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #32
Dutch
"Dutch"

Because they are pricks. We already established that.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #33
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
However, I came home from work today to find their dog sitting on their stoop. There isn't anyone at home and I am starting to feel bad for the dog because it is thundering and raining outside. I have no idea why they would just leave it outside.

Check if they are still there - there is a certain type of person who can move and leave a pet behind .... your charmers sound like candidates.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #34
cuervo72
Head Coach

Occurred to me as well.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #35
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Check if they are still there - there is a certain type of person who can move and leave a pet behind .... your charmers sound like candidates.

I have been keeping an eye out. Won't lie...I am actually afraid of that dog. It's a part bulldog and pit bull and it quite mean.

I agree that they would leave it behind. I also wonder if the dog is there "protecting" the house. He's been known to skip out on bills, so maybe they have some valuable stuff in the house that they haven't been able to get out yet and the dog is there to make sure no one else goes in.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #36
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

call animal control, any animal like that shouldnt be on the loose

Last edited by bulletsponge : 04-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #37
Drake
assmaster

Heh. This is pretty timely.

I just found out that my idiot neighbor (one of those in-and-out-of-jail, private logging company brand of yokels) has been wandering around my 60 wooded acres marking trees. I figured this out because he showed up to tell me that he saw someone trespassing on my property -- on the opposite side from his hose, near our pond -- that turned out to be our son, who likes to run on our trails through the woods.

He takes that opportunity to try to talk me into a logging contract.

So I decide to wander the property lines and check my fences and posted no trespassing signs...only to discover that my (same) idiot neighbor who just got two fully grown pit bulls that he lets run around unsupervised ('cuz they're big 'ol sweeties, you know -- which they sort of are, honestly), has been tossing the carcasses of the neighborhood dogs that have "disappeared" over the last few months across the fence behind his rental onto my property.

We're pretty laid back out here, but I suspect this is going to end badly.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #38
Drake
assmaster

For the record -- he's really not a bad or scary guy. Just young, not very bright, and doesn't have much of a concept of personal boundaries. A bit of a fuck-up, but likeable enough. (I don't freak out about him shooting neighborhood dogs. I live in the middle of nowhere. Nuisance dogs are always an issue. They get temporarily adopted and sort of fed by community because you're not always sure whether or not they belong to anyone. We're all pretty live-and-let-live with each others animals with the understanding that if your dog starts causing an issue, someone is going to shoot it. The difference is that if you shoot it, it's your responsibility to bury it on your own land.)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #39
Drake
assmaster

Double post.

Last edited by Drake : 04-29-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #40
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
has been tossing the carcasses of the neighborhood dogs that have "disappeared" over the last few months across the fence behind his rental onto my property.

We're pretty laid back out here, but I suspect this is going to end badly.

What the fuck!! So you think he has been taking Dogs as bait to his pits or they have been attacking dogs and dragging them back to his yard? Either way, yeah this needs to end badly for that fucking prick.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #41
Drake
assmaster

Oh, no. Sorry if I gave that impression. He had complained to me a couple of times about various dogs getting into his trash at night and strewing it around his yard, and mentioned he was probably going to have to do something about it. That's a legitimate shoot-able offense out here (though understandably not cool if you know who owns the dog and don't try to talk to them first.)

Same thing with terrorizing people's cats or chickens or whatever.

My first criticism would be that he chose the quicker solution (shooting) before adequately exploring the alternatives (more secure garbage containment), but the solution itself is fair game. The major criticism is that he didn't follow through on his social obligation to dispose of the carcasses properly. Instead, I've got dead dogs rotting in my woods. Decomposing dogs means carrion eaters, and we've got enough coyote and bobcat issues as it is.

Last edited by Drake : 04-29-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #42
Subby
lolzcat

Meanwhile, in Indiana...

Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #43
Balldog
Pro Rookie

We are on our 3rd house and this time we went out in the country with 5.5 acres. We really only have 4 neighbors and you can't see or here any of them.

Our previous 2 houses we had bad neighbors. First one wasn't horrible but just noisy and they would park in front of our house instead of their's.

Second one was horrible - dog barking all day & night, 18 yr old son having parties with beer bottles and smokes all over our yard, parking 4-wheeler in our yard, washing motorcycle in our yard, leaving stuff in our yard, etc.

They were extremely nice people I just don't think they understood their surroundings.

We never moved because of them but it is so nice not having them.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #44
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

UPDATE: The dog was still out there as of 10pm last night...then we noticed their car come up the driveway and leave quickly. I peaked out after they left and the dog was gone.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Meanwhile, in Indiana...

LOL, this is what I was thinking.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #46
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
UPDATE: The dog was still out there as of 10pm last night...then we noticed their car come up the driveway and leave quickly. I peaked out after they left and the dog was gone.

If he wasn't, I was thinking you should catch him and ship him up to Drake.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #47
molson
General Manager

I'm so confused by that dog story. So the guy recognizes the violation to his property caused by the dogs and sees this as a capital offense, but then doesn't see the problem with dumping the dogs in someone else's property? I'd have a much bigger problem than that than you do, not to mention the trespassing and marking trees.

Last edited by molson : 04-30-2013 at 10:43 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #48
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Add another place to the "I could never live..." list.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #49
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Meanwhile, in 1880s Indiana...

fixed
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #50
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote: