Undrafted interesting prospects

RB Sapp (Col St)
RB Carter (Stanford)

OT Ofenheusle (Ten)

C Romberg (Mia)

LB Brown (Auburn)
LB Smith (Syracuse)

DT Leonard (Stanford)

Biggest guy off that list that dropped through the world is, I think, Sapp. Some guys had him as high as a #2, and he wasn't even drafted. At any rate, some nice players that a team will be happy to pick up as a rookie FA.

(edit: Had Suggs on the brain. Edited to Sapp)

Last edited by damnMikeBrown : 04-27-2003 at 10:43 PM.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Anthony Floyd.. a ballhawk safety from Louisville.. will be a nice pickup for someone..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Curt Anes, QB of Grand Valley State, who was also a teammate of the Lions 6th round pick, Kircus, signed with Detroit. That was a long sentence. Anyways the Lions apparently had a deal worked out prior to the end of the draft, that if he was not drafted he would sign with Detroit.

He was ranked higher than a few QB's who were drafted but has an injury history.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:37 PM   #4
kid_dynamite
Mascot

OT Ofenheusle (Ten)

i dont know anything about this guy but the summary on his page is "farm boy who cant move his feet". im no expert but isnt that pretty important at OT?

LB Brown (Auburn)

also dont know anything about him but his summary is "A longshot who does not stand out in any area"
Old 04-27-2003, 10:42 PM   #5
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

QB- Jason Gesser - Many thought he would be a first day pick, somehow he slipped right out of the draft.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:52 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

nilodor, you beat me to it.

Someone should sign Gesser as a FA. He could be pretty good, at least as a backup.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:04 PM   #7
SegRat
High School Varsity

Brad Banks
Old 04-27-2003, 11:25 PM   #8
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

Brooks Branard- punter from maryland
Good Leg, many suspected that the Skins might sign him seeing how he is a local boy and we desperately need a punter. I actually thought they might draft him with their 7th but they went with the QB instead
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:32 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

I'm glad to see 5 Buckeyes went.. Big Willy Style (Will Smith) shouldn't have left a year early.. he went undrafted. Andy Groom was a fantastic punter, he also didn't get drafted.

I have a feeling all 5 that did get drafted will have a good chance at making the rosters of their respective teams.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:36 PM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

Jon Dorenbos, long snapper from UTEP was signed by Buffalo. Some scouts say he is the best long snapper to come out of college in years. And he's a pro magician too!

Nice article on him from ESPN.com...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:38 PM   #11
korme
Go Reds

Hmm.. Myles, you got any insight as to why Marquel Blackwell was not drafted? I thought he was a potential backup.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:45 AM   #12
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Im surprised Romberg didnt get drafted and that Dockerry fell that much .
Old 04-28-2003, 04:24 AM   #13
oykib
College Starter

Sports Illustrated.com's highest rated guard Torrin Tucker, from Southern Miss, went undrafted. He was the first guard they had being take, late in the second round.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:03 AM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

They were screaming about Tucker in the Lions forum. Guy had some character issues and weight issues. Maybe that's why teams backed off, but to go totally undrafted? ESPN.com had him rated as the 4th best guard. Weird.

Cecil Sapp has been signed by Denever.

Gresser by the Titans.

The Lions have scooped up Grand Valley State QB Curt Anes and apparently West Vriginia running back Avon Cobourne.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:54 AM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

For those interested, Cecil Sapp has already been signed. The Denver Broncos inked him to a contract early this evening.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:01 AM   #16
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Brian Gamble - LB - Texas A&M
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:02 AM   #17
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Romberg - the C from Miami - didn't get drafted? I thought he was a stud or something.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:19 AM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

WVU RB Avon Cobourne is a suprise to me. He is the Big East's all time leading rusher and had four consecutive 1000+ rushing seasons (including bowls). By all reports he is supposed to be a team leader and good kid. He ran a slow 4.7/40, so I guess that went a long way in dropping him out of the draft.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:15 AM   #19
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by SegRat
Brad Banks

Who was a redskin by 0800.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:21 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lions just signed cornerback Chris Kern... Yes, THE Chris Kern.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-28-2003, 08:41 AM   #21
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Something must have happened with Tucker that red flagged him. Either at the combine or after, but for nobody to pick him up with the pre draft grades he had?

Well, he's worth a shot. I hope he ends up in orange and black stripes. There is still a need for interior linemen.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:55 AM   #22
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Terrance Edwards, Robert's little brother and top reciever all time at UGA. He'll catch on somewhere, or end up in Canada (maybe even as a QB).
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #23
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

KFFL has been down for days. anyone have any good links to tract UDFA signings?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:59 AM   #24
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
KFFL has been down for days. anyone have any good links to tract UDFA signings?

About to ask the same question.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:03 AM   #25
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Chuck Klabo from NDSU was signed by Cleveland. If he didn't get injured his senior season he would have been drafted definately. I think the Browns will be suprised by his ability at tackle.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:04 AM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

KFFL is back up. The Address changed.

The new link is:

http://www.kffl.com/nfl/
Old 04-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #27
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Honolulu tell me more about Kern.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:38 AM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The dish on Chris Kern.

He played on three Mount Union National Championship teams. A little Division III school in Ohio. The Lions, among others, showed some pre-draft interest. At his pro day he had 4.41 and 4.37 40 times. He's 5'11, 189 lbs. so has some good size and speed. Two-time Division III All-American. Played in the Hula Bowl. Last year he had 53 tackles, 10 pass break-ups, and 4 interceptions. Not great states but apparently he was a Division III "shutdown" corner.

Most likely he's destined for the practice squad or NFL Europe if he even makes the team.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:14 AM   #29
mckerney
Coordinator

Jermaine Mays signed by Vikings. Not a good wideout, but could make it as special teams player as he blocked several punts last year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:33 AM   #30
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Hmm.. Myles, you got any insight as to why Marquel Blackwell was not drafted? I thought he was a potential backup.

Shorty, you're talking about a player from the enemy Cow Patties of USF..

Seriously though, I'm a bit perplexed as well about Blackwell being snubbed. He's obviously got enough size (6'1", 205 Lbs.) and at least I think has the arm strength. His athletic ability won't have anyone thinking he's Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb, but he's no Byron Leftwich-like Statue either..

Taking at look at some of the QB's that were drafted in late rounds really makes you shake your head at this as well..

Although I've had heard Blackwell has signed a 3 Year Contract with the N.Y. Jets and will compete with fellow Rookie Brooks Bollinger for the #3 Spot on the Depth Chart... Look for him in NFL Europe next season..
Old 04-28-2003, 12:37 PM   #31
Samdari
Roster Filler

I am kind of surprised to see that LB Clifton Smith from Syracuse did not get drafted. He was a very productive player at SU. When he was in the same LB corps with Keith Bullock and Morlon Greenwood, both NFL players, Smith was the dominant force.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:46 PM   #32
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
Terrance Edwards, Robert's little brother and top reciever all time at UGA. He'll catch on somewhere, or end up in Canada (maybe even as a QB).

Edwards signed with the Steelers and joins fellow dawgs Kendrell Bell, Hines Ward and Verron Haynes in Pittsburgh.

Todd
Old 04-28-2003, 05:53 PM   #33
digamma
Torchbearer

Carl Morris, the two time Ivy League Player of the Year, signed with the Colts. He leaves Harvard holding every major receiving record.
He played well in the various all-star games, but his speed is questionable. Nevertheless, he has great hands, runs good routes, blocks and should compete for a spot on the team.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:57 PM   #34
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
I am kind of surprised to see that LB Clifton Smith from Syracuse did not get drafted.

When we were doing the FOFC mock draft, I remember seeing a mock draft from a "reputable" source having the Packers picking Smith in the first round. What happened to him??
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:26 PM   #35
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator
Brian Gamble - LB - Texas A&M

If Bethel Johnson can get drafted in the 2nd round, Gamble should at least be picked in the 7th round. IMO, Gamble is overrated but I watched Ferguson play with Johnson and he was a far superior talent.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:57 PM   #36
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
WVU RB Avon Cobourne is a suprise to me. He is the Big East's all time leading rusher and had four consecutive 1000+ rushing seasons (including bowls). By all reports he is supposed to be a team leader and good kid. He ran a slow 4.7/40, so I guess that went a long way in dropping him out of the draft.

This surprised me, watched him play his whole career at WVU, and I REALLY thought he looked like a better player than Zeroue did when he was in Morgantown.

I thought Romberg would at least get drafted based on his leadership abilities, plus he's not too bad of a football player.

If you told me 2 years ago that Edwards didn't get drafted, there would have been no way in hell I would have believed it, he looked like a certain 1st rounder. But the way he played in his Senior year, and through much of his Junior year, he didn't look like a 1st day pick. But to not get drafted at all is still very surprising. He's a kid with good talent, but he just isn't very polished and looked like he was poorly coached. A kid that looks that good, and is that talented, as a Freshman and Sophmore really should be a much better player than he is now.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:57 PM   #37
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
When we were doing the FOFC mock draft, I remember seeing a mock draft from a "reputable" source having the Packers picking Smith in the first round. What happened to him??

Seems to happen every year to someone. Projected at first round at some point, and end up dropping to day two or not get picked at all. Last year it was Kelly Campbell who played pretty damn well for an undrafted free agent on the Vikes last year. Wouldn't be surprised if Smith did the same sort of thing.

Another guy I know about, OT/OG Jason Jowers signed with the 49ers.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:45 PM   #38
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
Edwards signed with the Steelers and joins fellow dawgs Kendrell Bell, Hines Ward and Verron Haynes in Pittsburgh.

Todd

I get this feeling I'm going to be buying a Steelers jersey soon.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:16 AM   #39
GrantDawg

Update: TE changed his mind and has decide to "stay home" and play with the Falcons. Boy, I hope he makes the team. I would love to see him do well, even if it is mainly returning kicks.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:45 AM   #40
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular

My guess is that teams were scared that he has not been completely healthy in two years. Still played well, especially as a senior though. I thought the Samdari run Jets scooped you guys by getting him in the 3rd. Guess not.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:37 AM   #41
Blade6119
Coordinator

this is from collegefootballnews.com:

April 28
NFL Draft 2003
The CFN Inaugural All-Undrafted Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Richard Cirminiello and Pete Fiutak

Granted, if you don't get taken in the first two to three rounds of the draft it's probably better to not get drafted at all, but there were some NFL GMs asleep at the wheel over the two days of the draft. Below are the best players that didn't get drafted and will most likely end up making someone's team this summer.

College football production doesn't always translate into pro ability, but it's ridiculous that Avon Cobourne didn't get drafted. Eric Manning, Garry Johnson and Anthony Floyd are great NFL prospects that the GMs didn't look at closely enough. And then there's Clifton Smith and LaMarcus McDonald. It's downright criminal that these two linebackers didn't get taken by anyone and just goes to show that the NFL cares about combines and not the type of football player a prospect is.

First Team
QB Jason Gesser, Washington State
RB Cecil Sapp, Colorado State
RB Avon Cobourne, West Virginia
WR Terrance Edwards, Georgia
WR Kassim Osgood, San Diego State
TE Robert Johnson, Auburn
T Will Ofenheusle, Tennessee
T Derrick Brantley, Clemson
G Torrin Tucker, Southern Miss
G Garry Johnson, Arkansas State
C Brett Romberg, Miami

DE Omari Hand, Tennessee
DE Cornelius Green, Miami
DT Eric Manning, Oregon State
DT Terrance Martin, NC State
LB Chris Clemons, Georgia
LB Clifton Smith, Syracuse
LB LaMarcus McDonald, TCU
S Anthony Floyd, Louisville
S Chris Brown, UAB
CB Jason Goss, TCU
CB Lynaris Elpheage, Tulane
PK Seth Marler, Tulane
P Andy Groom, Ohio State

Second Team
QB Brad Banks, Iowa
RB Dwone Hicks, MTSU
RB Earnest Graham, Florida
WR Dan Stricker, Vanderbilt
WR Paul Arnold, Washington
TE Mike Pinkard, Arizona State
T Gary Byrd, Clemson
T Kareem Marshall, Georgia
G Anthony Davis, Virginia Tech
G Sherko Haji-Rasouli, Miami
C Ben Nowland, Auburn

DE Shantee Orr, Michigan
DE Kai Ellis, Washington
DT Colin Cole, Iowa
DT David Upchurch, West Virginia
LB Nick Burley, Fresno State
LB Shawn Price, NC State
LB Lawrence Flugence, Texas Tech
S Calvin Carlyle, Oregon State
S Quintin Mikell, Boise State
CB Korey Banks, Mississippi St
CB Rushen Jones, Vanderbilt
PK Damon Duval, Auburn
P Nate Fikse, UCLA
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:52 AM   #42
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296

Todd

Ps. missed one. You drafted J.T. Wall this year also. Still gotta love the Steelers.