Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2003, 12:24 AM   #1
Axxon
Pro Starter

I'm Gonna be a SUPERSTAR!!!!

My name is Davey Boy Bott. I just entered The City on a greyhound bus. My life before I hit the city? Ok, but I'll be brief.

My family?

Well, we were upper middle class. I was sort of a black sheep of the family myself. I spent a lot of time partying with my older friends actually. Did put a damper on my studies.

After high school I worked a little trying to finance my big break but mostly blowing the money on beer and women. You know, important stuff.

Why do I want to be a musician?

Easy my good man, I pursue the hedonistic treasures of promiscuous excess. This is the most noble goal I can pursue I figure or at least the most fun one.

Dreams?

Man I always dream about the Acoustic Guitar of Eden. That fabled axe really jams you can bet your pick on it.

Regrets?

Man I wish I'd have been at Woodstock in '69. That was a musicians dream.

When I become a superstar what message would I like to pass on to humanity??

You've got to be joking? You're not? OK, give me a minute. Yes, how about this : Free your mind and do what you want. Hm, not bad, not bad.

The disturbance at the Alley Cat?

Man, that was blown way out of proportion. Some dude tried to hassle me. I could tell his problem wasn't really with me so I asked him about it. We straightened things out and are buds to this day.

Say, is this going to take much longer? I've got a lot of shit to do. Oh,. we're done. Well, thanks for doing this interview. It's not much man but one day we'll look back on it as the start of something big. This is the day I take my first steps towards becoming....a SUPERSTAR!!

Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:58 AM   #2
Axxon
Pro Starter

The grayhound pulled into The City at 9am. I had ten bucks to my name and a second hand acoustic guitar. I only wish I'd have come with some talent but I'll have plenty of time to practice.

First things first though. One look at the street, full of prostitutes and drug dealers definately reminds me that I don't want to sleep here. I see a flier for the Pick Me Up Motel and they're charging ten bucks a week. I ask Debbie, who says she's a model but who eyes up every man in a suit like he's a mouse and she's a cat who hasn't eaten in a month which may well be right, where I can find work and she tells me about the employment agency downtown.

I can't afford a bus so I beat feet and head on my way.

Well, pickings are pretty slim today. I have four choices.

1. confectioner from 9a-3p for $3 per hour. A whole eighteen bucks and all the sugar I can eat.

2. taxi driver from 3a-6a for $6 per hour. Good rate but shitty hours and not enough of them. Still it's 18 bucks and half the hours of job #1

3. stripper from 2a-9a for $4 per hour. Now we're talking. I"m no prude and it pays 10 bucks more a day than the other two options. As tempting as it sounds, I can get 4 more hours of practice time in and only lose ten bucks if I become a hack.

4. Skip it and wait till tomorrow. Not a chance, I've got to eat.

I am now Davey Boy Bott, taxi driver and rising SUPERSTAR!!!

Well, I don't have anything to do until 3am so I decide to practice. Downtown isn't the place for that exactly so I head to a convenient street corner and pull out my guitar. The thought of flipping over my hat is tempting but I know that with my talent I'd more likely get my hat stolen than full of money.

I proceed to playing, chords mostly. Basic stuff. The time flies by. Come 8 o'clock my fingers are sore and my mood is edgy but I do feel the satisfaction of hearing how much better I'm sounding. Hell, a couple of people look at me playing and not with a look of utter disgust. I have a long way to go, but I stop for the night. I've got to be up by three am. I have a taxi to drive.

Two hours later and I finally cut it for the night. I just couldn't stop. I could feel a plateau coming and I had to reach it. I end with a flourish that would send chills down the spine of my audience if I had one.

I go to sleep and dream of things to come.

My first shift as a taxi driver goes quickly. I earned enough money to rent a room at the motel and thats just what I do. I get a sleazy room with a cheap rollaway bed and room for two guests. Hey, it beats the curb.

I'm pretty beat. The rest on the curb wasn't exactly refreshing and it was a long walk to the hotel. I don't have money for a cab or any uppers so I decide to sack out. I can always practice lat....
Old 04-23-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
Axxon
Pro Starter

Friday night when I get up I see that the ratings for the week are in. Arctic Wrecks have the number one album in the city in Windy Territory. The Wrecks are pretty cool. I hope to meet them someday.

Still, as cool as they are, Windyt Territory doesn't break into the national top 20 not to mention the world rankings. I turn to the Cool Artists top 120 and am surprised to see myself on the charts! Sure I'm the Mr irrelevent of music sitting at position 120 but it seems like my first interview had generated at least a little heat. Arctic Wrecks are at 96 which does let me know how hard I have to work to even make a difference.

The top band in the world is Son of Factory, followed by Bitter Moan and Atomic Sinner. Right now, I couldn't even drive these guys anywhere in my taxi thats how far off my radar scope they are. With that, I again begin to practice.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:33 AM   #4
Axxon
Pro Starter

I spend the next few days working my butt off and practicing in every spare moment. By wednesday after my shift, I['m beat but I've managed to save $63 and I decide to check out the local Club.

The manager accuses me of trying to be funny when I ask about a gig. I guess I need to practice a lot more. Even at 630 am the place has some important people hobnobbing.

Bart Dudley, the 5 star vocalist for American Gambler is there. I know better but decide to approach him and greet him. All he says is "forgive me, stranger" as he turns his attention back ot his entourage. I decide to see if I recognize anybody else.

I spot Paul Ganza, the not so famous unranked producer in the crowd. He can't really help me in any meaningful way as he has no real talent. I strike up a conversation anyway. He tells me about this thing called trends. Apparantly the listening public goes through different phases every month and it's a producers job to keep track of that.

This comes in handy when one is trying to sell albums as it's wise to push a song off your album that matches the monthly trend. This months trend is death. If I was anywhere near album making stage this might be useful but for now it's merely fluff.

Paul and I exchange phone numbers and I split. He's a nice enough guy I guess but not someone I'll socialize with much. I turn my attention to the last person of import, Carol Reilly,a one star journalist.

Carol is a purple haired, copper skin woman who I do want to get to know. She's not big time but she reaches a larger audience than I do and press is always a good thing. Unfortunately she tells me "sorry, but you don't inspire me." Fine.

I'll remember that Carol, when I'm on the rise and you're begging me for the time of day. I don't inspire her indeed. I buy myself three beers and then sack out on the couch they have in the back.

I sleep longer than expected but I'm not far from work and I take a stroll out into the street to begin the grind yet again. Man, I really needed those beers.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:51 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Very cool, Axxon. I'll be reading this...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:53 AM   #6
Axxon
Pro Starter

It's friday night. Wow, Nuclear Secateurs have knocked arctic wreck out of the top spot with their album Invisible Blaze but the Wrecks arent too far behind.

Meanwhile, I'm still not even good enough to open at the local club. Lots of work to do but I imagine next week might be a bit different.

Speaking of the club, I decide to use their couch again. When I enter I see six big wigs and none of them less than 3 star talent. No one is likely to be interested in me.

I overhear Victor Cartwhright talking to his buds and he's claiming he's a freethinker. Well, so am I. Victor is a six star unemployed vocalist. There's not enough liquor in the world to get him to team up with me NOW, but if I can at least talk to him, then maybe later we may get together.

To my surprise Vic is a pretty cool guy. He invites me to his table and we rap for a little while. He is really a romantic at heart and he is a pretty good composer. I buy him a round which is all I can afford right now and we exchange numbers. We're certainly not friends yet but we can be and I intend to keep in touch with Victor.

I crash out with a smile on my face. I can feel my luck changing. Moving to the city looks like it may have been the right move after all. I don't even mind so much that I didn't even practice one note or that I was certainly going to miss work tomorrow. After all, I'm going to be a SUPERSTAR!!!

Last edited by Axxon : 04-23-2003 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:23 AM   #7
Axxon
Pro Starter

I wake up at around noon and a new crowd has blown in. I'll admit that I'm a little pissed with myself for fawning over the big rock star when I should have been working on becoming one myself. Today is going to be different.

I see that Zack Lang is in the house. He's an inexperienced composer but how inexperienced is the question. Very, is the answer. Zack is as green as I was when I hit town. I know how bad he sucks in other words. Just to humor him I offer to buy a song from him.

He wants $12. Heh. There's no chance in hell I'll use his song. I have a cover medly that my manager back home worked on for me which is rated as a 2 star composition and lasts 30 minutes which is the minimum length of a set. The best this song could possibly be is a zero star dud. I'll never use it.

Still, I remember how desparate I was when I first hit town. I could have used someone looking out for me and giving me some charity and practice. Even though I can't afford it and won't use it I slip him the $12 bucks. I gotta hit the streets soon. At this rate I'll go broke in the club and I haven't even gotten drunk yet.

I hit the streets to practice.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:42 AM   #8
Axxon
Pro Starter

The next day after my shift I head to the club and meet a guy named Deen Freiss. He is a two star poet. He maybe could rescue old Zacks crappy composition but I don't really approach him for this. I'd just like to know a cool poet for when I start pumping out songs. Deen, however won't even talk to me. Says my rep is too low.

Dang, he must be a choir boy or something because I haven't done anything bad yet. Hmmph. It's no biggie but it bugs me. I tell him off and he yells "I'll never forget this..." Some poet huh.

It does get a rise out of 6 star Hip Hop DJ Joey Neal. Joey is pretty laid back and while I'm not a hip hop guy he is cool to pass the time talking to. We talk about shock video mostly. Again, I get his number and we part ways. If I ever do a crossover I'll have to look him up.

In passing he tells me that for my first band I really should hit the bars in the suburbs. There's no gigs there but the starter level musicians and such tend to gather there. Well, I'm not walking to the suburbs so I need more money before I go for this. Oh well, back to the grind.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:58 AM   #9
Axxon
Pro Starter

I hooked up with a journalist. He's Guido Sanchez. He's a 2 star kind of guy and he's eager to talk. He's a future asset to be sure but once I have a band going and some bribe money he'll be able to give us a needed push. Things are beginning to take shape. Nothings HAPPENING but the networking is coming along nicely.

If only I could say the same about the guitar playing.

Actually, I'm right on schedule there too but it's no fun being broke and untalented.

Back to work.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:15 AM   #10
Axxon
Pro Starter

On a monday note. I met up with Marsia Hierro ( 4* bass - techno/anarchist ), an unemplyed bass player who told me to "go to hell, you miserable artist" before she thoroughly ignored me. Didn't even give me a chance to insult her back. Must suck to have a wealth of talent and not have a job. Shame I couldn't tell her that.

Dinah Asqith ( 4* Saxophonist - jazz/materialist - ) another musician with no job says the same thing to me.

Clarice Mortimer ( 6* vocalist - metal/materialist ) had much more class. She said "I delight in loneliness. Don't you see?" I'll keep an eye out for her. She's cool.

Having struck out with all the ladies in the bar I head to the back to crash out. I guess I shouldn't hit on popular women when I'm on the brink of exhaustion.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:29 AM   #11
Axxon
Pro Starter

I'm almost ready for my big premier. Only a few more days left I'd say barring anything unexpected. I'm tired all the time and I need some entertainment but I have set my sights on a goal and I won't waver in this commitment. Anyway, I can't afford to.

I did try and create my own entertainment. I met Eileen Romero ( 0* - journalist ) and struck up a conversation. I decided to cut to the chase and bypass chit chat and head straight to the flirting. She asked me "what do you want in exchange?"

MOOD KILLER.

I guess we should try being friends first.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:32 AM   #12
Axxon
Pro Starter

Wednesday -

Life of the Stars 5/1996 put out their list of the most sexy males.

Andy Bender won with Cesare Neves and Chris Cobot coming in second and third.

I'll have you know that I'm number 482 on the list. OK, ok, not very flattering I'll admit but at least they spelled the name right. Does make me pretty glad I didn't take the stripper job though.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:40 AM   #13
Axxon
Pro Starter

WooHoo!!

After reading the Life of the Stars I went by the employment agency to see if there were any better jobs around.

The stripper job now open is from midnight to 9am and pays $7 hr. Thats $63 a night. Still, on the heels of the awards and all...

There's a barman job open from 1-5am and it pays $8 an hour. Thats $32 which is a lot less but leaves more hours free. This time the decision is really a hard one but again I'll opt for more free time. It'svery likely a mistake but I"m a musician damn it not a piece of meat. If I sell out before I even learn how to properly play guitar then I was always a phony and never true to my art.

I 'm no longer a cabbie I'm a bartender and damned proud of it. But just in case, I keep a speedo handy.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:16 AM   #14
Axxon
Pro Starter

Friday. My day that I should finally be good enough to convince the Club to hire me. The album rankings didn't shift in the top spots.

I'm hitting on Maisie Fesier ( 0* - composer ) She's cuter than Eileen but not as professional. Hey, I don't want her to compose anything after all. I just want to celebrate my upcoming gigs.

Things were looking good but alas I had to go to work. My love life sucks. I don't worry though, once I become a superstar I'll fix all that.

Maisie is way too plain for a superstar. I get her number anyway.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:32 AM   #15
Axxon
Pro Starter

It's friday night and approaching 6pm. I'm sitting on my favorite stoop just working my chops. My fingers sure are a lot more agile than they were when I first got to town and they seem to be acquiring a mind of their own.

They did tonight. I was flying through my cover medley and momentarily became mesmerized by my own playing. I quit concentrating on what I was doing and began listening to what I was producing. I didn't notice the small crowd which had quietly gathered around me also listening with rapt attention until I stopped playing and heard the polite applause.

I looked at them and recognized in the front the face of Reggie the Rippler. Reggie was once a sax man before the love of the vine felled his career and he'd busted my chops many a night as I practiced my craft. Tonight though he was smiling.

"Kid, I think you've got it" he said as he reached out and touched me on the shoulder. "Now, don't fuck it up."

He turned around and walked away. The crowd began to disperse. I packed my guitar and headed for the club. Time to see what the man who pays the bills thinks. Will I get my first gig???
Old 04-23-2003, 09:07 AM   #16
Mountain
Mascot

Seems like a really cool dynasty. Where did you get this game from? Is visual or mostly text based? Are you making up most of the dialogue or is the game really that in depth? Can you pick another type of musician other than a guitar player?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:00 AM   #17
condors
College Starter

good stuff
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #18
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain
Seems like a really cool dynasty. Where did you get this game from? Is visual or mostly text based? Are you making up most of the dialogue or is the game really that in depth? Can you pick another type of musician other than a guitar player?

The game is called Superstar. It is available at the Home of the Underdogs store at the high price of $6 but the shareware part alone is huge and I am absolutely nowhere near that point in my dynasty yet.

It is text but all the Characters have pictures which is really cool and at the beginnning you pick your look by picking from different facial parts, nose mouth hair face shape etc etc. I have a pretty cool top hat I wear and I've just added a pair of aviator glasses to my image.

All of the dialog I've provided is in the game but it's pretty much it as far as dialog goes. The game is so freaking easy to get immersed in and you really do feel like you're your character. That part is my favorite part of the game by far.

You have a lot of instrument choices. In the first post the part where I talked about my dream ( acoustic guitar of Eden ) is where you pick that. Off the top of my head ( the game doesn't play well with alt-tab so I don't have it open. this may make this an at work only dynasty but after I answer this I'm going to try it here at home and see how it goes. I remember it not working at all but maybe I can figure something out. I really want to work on this at home too. It's the one game where honestly writing a dynasty to me is not a chore but a valuable tool ) you have

bass guitar
acoustic guitar
synth
piano
organ
sax
vocals ( yes you can buy vocal upgrades yikes!! )
electric guitar

and I'm sure theres a bit more.

[ok it let me alt-tab now but as I said it's finicky. I don't know if it's be too annoying. anyway]

trumpet
violin
drums.

That's it.

Anyway, I have a few minutes before I have to go back to work for a supervisor's meeting so I'm going to try and get a little bit more in.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:51 AM   #19
Axxon
Pro Starter

I hightail it to the club and talk to the booking manager but he tells me that they're booked for the week. He suggests I try back monday when he's booking next weeks gigs.

This leaves me with a weekend to kill and I don't feel like practicing too much. I decide to take a trip to the suburbs and hit the dives. Since it's late I do work my shift at work though so I'll have some cash to spend. Then I hop the local bus and am on my way.

Not much happening so I have a couple shots of moonshine and head home to crash. I haven't been spending much time at home lately and my own rented cot really feels pretty good to me right now. Sleep, glorious sleep.

When I get up, it's back to the dive. This time I run into Lanau Rosario ( 1* violinist - techno/freethinker ). Lanau is a bit neurotic and techno isn't my style. It doesn't seem like a good matchup but...

I take a look in my wallet and think of all the bills I'm going to have soon. I remember how good sleep felt last night. I start thinking that a rock/techno band might not be such a bad idea for a while and a violin might be eccentric enough to draw some extra fans to the gigs.

From the look of things, Lanau must be thinking the same thing. After an enchanting talk about love bites and geishas I can tell that we get along so what the hell. I bring up the idea of forming a band.

Lanau says "Sure, I'm out of work. We could try."

Just like that, the band Bott-ulism! is born.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:06 PM   #20
Axxon
Pro Starter

I spend sunday practicing again. Right after work monday morning I head to the club. They'll only give us one gig but thursday night Bott-ulism! will play their first gig.

I practice a bit more monday afternoon. For now, the plan is to have a reasonably normal week and practice as much as possible before the big gig. I may make another trip to the burbs just to check out the scene.

I'm not a superstar yet but I'm pretty excited nonetheless. Those hosers at the club don't know the treat they're in for come thursday night. Come to think of it, neither do I.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:16 PM   #21
Axxon
Pro Starter

Monday night at the club, when I'm getting ready for my shift, I meet a pretty cool chick Aliie Harlan ( 0* journalist ). We strike up a conversation. She's talking about spaghetti ( good visuals here folks ) then she starts talking about girls and we move on to supermodels.

Ailies a nice enough chick but something tells me I'd be better suited looking elsewhere for romantic action.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:16 PM   #22
Axxon
Pro Starter

Finally the big night arrives. I get to the club early and start slamming vodka. I'm feeling tight by set time and I'm ready to jam. I'm pretty excited by the turn out.

Imagine, Andrew Moulin ( 5* vocals - metal/freethinker ) dropped in to hear Bott-ulism! . We share a couple of rounds and I ask him about singing with us. He refuses of course but says to keep in touch and maybe once I'm a bit better known. I plan to.

We have a crowd of 48 for our debut and we had them rocking. I now have six new groupies and $101. It was a good debut and the booking manager looks forward to working us in next week. I'm looking forward to the same thing. I throw in a comment that more than one gig would be nice but he doesn't reply.

I don't care. I'm flying high right now. I decide to head out to the suburbs and see if I can't hook up with somebody. I'm totally blitzed by now of course.

I pick up a copy of the weekly charts and see that Acrid Brake;s new album Light Gust has moved to number one. The wrecks have dropped out of the top three so they better get back into the studio soon. I'm thinking about penning some tunes soon so I can put my own album out soon. We just need a few more gigs to discover how well we'll work together.

The burbs are basically dead and I've lost my buzz by the time I get there. This is pretty depressing so I'm heading back home.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:42 PM   #23
Axxon
Pro Starter

I get home but I'm not ready to crash yet. I call Lanau and invite him over to bullshit. He says cool and to expect him at 6. Seems he can't sleep either.

We bullshit for a couple of hours. I'd forgotten to pick up any booze but I get some from my bud at the front desk. It's more expensive than at the club but I say what the hell and we get loaded. Finally, the time has come for me to crash but it's been a lot of fun. Next time Lanau needs to bring his violen and we'll jam.

After work I pick up some bootleg vodka, some cool hip flasks and cigars. It never hurts to have some gifts to spread around especially when you're putting a band together. Now, it's off to the burbs again.

Still dead. I have a few drinks and head home to hole up until monday.

This week I'm given two gigs, monday and thursday. I quickly call Lanau to make sure he can make it tonight and he will. Nancie Gilbert ( 0* actress ) comes on to me and we chat. I thought about offering her a role in my video but decided that would be better done in my room. I'm thinking wednesday maybe.

Mistake. While preparing for my gig I drink a bit too much vodka and the next thing I know I pass out. I woke up around 1130 and everybody is pissed. I take off to the bar I work at and hand around till my shift. I'm feeling like shit but a superstar has to experiment so he can know his limits. It's painful but it's the price one pays for success.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:19 PM   #24
Axxon
Pro Starter

It was a pretty mundane next few days. I laid low practicing my chops letting the dust settle. On thursday I invited Lanau to meet me at the club early so we could clear the air.

While I was there I met Elvira Carrera ( 0* - journalist ). She has some mouth on her and is basically obnoxous but we talked anyway. For the heck of it I asked her to give us some good press. She shocked me by saying "everything has a price. mine is $48." Heh, she is a hack but I paid it. Press is press.

Lanau was pissed at first but I gave him the cigars and both hip flasks. With the air cleared I headed to the back for a nap. I'm expecting the show to be a killer. I'll watch the boozing but I will have a few shots anyway.

Now I'm pissed. The club pulled our gig at the last minute. Asked me how it feels. I was ready to rock and next thing I know my ass is out the door. It's been a pretty bad week overall. Hopefully things will pick up soon.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:30 PM   #25
Axxon
Pro Starter

Life of the Stars has come out with a new ranking. I am ranked 972 most medial whatever the hell that means. After my shift at the bar my old boss comes in and offers me a 4-10 shift at $8 per hour. I figure what the hell, the music thing hasn't payed the bills lately and I could start immediately.

Monday, the club gives me a shot and books me for friday and saturday night gigs. We really need to play these I'd say.

I was in the burbs when I ran into Beth Ivory ( 0* trumpet - pop/altruis ), a platinum cutie who was no the dole. She isn't the most talented musician but she is a looker and can certainly draw in the crowds on that strength alone. I decide to ask her to join Bott-ulism!

Bott-ulism! is now a trio. We need a vocalist next.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:41 PM   #26
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Very cool, I will be reading.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:38 PM   #27
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

I'm hooked. I even went and downloaded the game.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:49 PM   #28
mckerney
Coordinator

And what game is this?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:15 PM   #29
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Looks like it's a shareware download called Superstar. Downloading it now.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:20 PM   #30
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

How much of a difference is the shareware to the complete version, because I may just be buying this...I see that the website has a patch/update/(or as in CM4's case) enhancement.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:51 PM   #31
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

After I gained a level it told me I could only get to level six with the shareware. And I don't know if that enhacement is worth anything. I installed it anfd the game wouldn't load for me.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:17 PM   #32
Eilim
High School Varsity

(/threadjack on) For those having problems with the game, try installing this patch : http://www.angelfire.com/indie/dc5/superwin.zip . The developer seemed to have alot of issues with windows early on (originally a DOS game) but seems to have gotten *most* of them fixed. My character is up to level 8 or 9 now and I have yet to even scratch the surface of the game, so I highly recommend the 6$ purchase if the demo+patch works on your system. (/threadjack off)

also, Eilim Damann, drummer and founder of the power Metal-Funk group Freakee Stylee wants to wish Bott-ulism and Davey Boy Bott the best of luck in the climb to fame and riches. (along with a note mentioning to check behind the couch in the backgroom of the club.. We stashed our leftover herbals and Guiness stout back there and you guys are welcome to help yourselves. )

-Eilim
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #33
Axxon
Pro Starter

I go to the store on tuesday and buy some more hip flasks and some chocolates. I give Beth a call and invite her over to my place.
She comes over and literally eats up the chocolate but my advances are a no go. I'll give her more time. I know they warn against getting involved with bandmates but I figure I'll find out if that's true the hard way.

The new rankings come out on gig night. Total Stigma captures the first spot with the album Vain Haven. I enjoy looking at the marquee and seeing Bott-ulism! I am ready to go for tonight.

We get 47 people in the crowd mostly to see Beth. We put on a good show and earn $239 split three ways. Beth gets the biggest cut. 6 more wise souls join the Davey Boy fan club.

After the show, the club manager notes how my leadership skills have improved lately. The rest of the band agrees and elect me the leader. I don't mind and it means I get a bigger cut of the loot. I thank everybody and tell them to get some rest. We have a big night tomorrow night.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:31 PM   #34
Axxon
Pro Starter

Hehe, found the herbal and the Guiness. Thanks man, maybe Freakee Stylee and Bott-ulism! can tour one day. Of course, we're a long way from our touring days though I am getting my ducks in a row and should be cutting an album as soon as I can afford some good hash and whiskey.

That couch is the coolest crash spot in the game early on isn't it.

Oh and the full version just goes on a lot longer. I'm not moving particularly fast in the dynasty but you can do a whole lot by level six; the shareware will amuse you for a while and really, it's only six bucks to register.

BTW, Bott JUST hit level 2 in the dynasty. I have found that if you solo that level gain takes a lot longer. A full band may make you a little less sometimes, for example our two gigs had the same crowd but with the third person I made 20 bucks or so less but if I was soloing the crowd wouldn't normally be that big. Also, it's darned hard to cut an album, video etc etc with only you footing the bill.

Anyway, this is Botts thread so I'm out.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:02 PM   #35
Axxon
Pro Starter

60 people came out on saturday to party with Bott-ulism! and we didn't disappoint though some are wondering when we're going to start doing our own songs. Good question. We all made $88 bucks and the band voted me an extra $8 for in charge pay. Add seven more groupies to my fan club as well. This was a good week.

After work I grabbed some beer, scored some hash and weed and headed to the cemetary. I got enormously high and contemplated the meaning of life, mine in particular. I stayed high all day but the inspiration I gained has me pretty eager to get something on paper. I don't just yet though.

I skipped work monday but found, to my delight that they are offering me three gigs this week. Tonight, and the coveted friday and saturday night gigs. Seems Bott-ulism! is getting pretty popular these days. Adding Beth was a good thing. Speaking of Beth, we have some unfinished business to attend to and we'd better take care of it soon or I'm going to be hitting the streets looking for some action soon. So much to do, so little time.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:46 PM   #36
Axxon
Pro Starter

Monday's crowd was light, only 29 folks but we put on our best show yet. We're really jelling as a band and I'm all right with that. My take home was $77 and 5 new Bott Heads. Bott Heads, that's what they're calling themselves it seems. Very nice!

The rest of the week I split time between the graveyard and work with the occasional stop in the club so I wouldn't pass out on the way to the cemetary. With death as my theme, I've found a whirlwind of ideas and by friday morning I'm ready to get some of it down.

After I get my ideas down I get Zach, the composer and Lanau, who is the one with the talent here and we hammer out a heavy pop death ballad called Deadly Lover. It's about on par with our covers but it's our very own song and our first ever!!! I can't wait to debut it tonight.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:02 PM   #37
korme
Go Reds

Axxon, is this game shipped or do I download?

I just piad 6 dollars but selected 'No Address Required' yet I find no link to download anywehre.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:03 PM   #38
korme
Go Reds

Always helps to check your email.

Nevermind.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:10 PM   #39
Axxon
Pro Starter

Friday night, 61 people rocked out. Deadly Lover was the opener and it was the bomb. We were in the groove and now the crowd wants more. Our regular material is fine but leaves them lacking just a bit. Next time we switch up the order. Anyway, 8 new BottHeads and $88 a piece, $96 for me is a pretty sweet evening. Yep, I think Bott-ulism! is going places in this city.

Another meaningless Life of the Stars ranking came out. Is it that time again already? Jose Mancey will be proud to know that he is not only the best manager but the third best as well. Oops. I guess the editing at Lots has been at the hash again.

I stop at the store and blow my cash on some gifts. I then restock on the herbs and head home. I've got a few more hours before the gig tonight so I invite Beth over. No dice. She claims she has a headache. Man, I must be the sorriest superstar ever. I think about maybe inviting Maisie over but after looking at the time I decide I don't really have enough and I don't want to blow my gifts on a hack composer anyway. Sigh. Maybe next time.

[at this point the program decided that alt tab was the devils business and crapped out. As I had saved after creating the song this post in effect didn't happen. That's why this dynasty is going to work much better at work. It's easier too. I have the game open on the laptop and IE on the work machine. I know it sucks but it's better that way. I may still do some from home but it won't be as much fun. Still I'm enjoying the game and the dynasty too much ]

Last edited by Axxon : 04-23-2003 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:59 PM   #40
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

could someone give me a link to this game?
Old 04-24-2003, 04:26 PM   #41
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

http://www.totalshareware.com/asp/detail_view.asp?application=30257
Old 04-24-2003, 05:37 PM   #42
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Is anyone else having all kinds of problems with this game? I've tried unpatched, the patch where I got it, and the patch Eilim
posted, and only the unpatched will work at all for me. The problems are that I can't save or compose music. There may be others that I am forgetting, but these two are enough to keep me from paying for the game.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:46 PM   #43
SaintAnselm
n00b

Is there a way to reherse in the game?? I can't seem to find it.
SaintAnselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:29 AM   #44
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SaintAnselm
Is there a way to reherse in the game?? I can't seem to find it.

To get your band to rehearse, get the second level house. You will have some extra options there and rehearsing is one of them.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:37 AM   #45
Mountain
Mascot

Saint Anselm

You must have gotten your version of Superstar to work. I've donwloaded the patch and the original version and I'm still getting the same error you got that you posted in the GD forum.

How did you fix it? Does anyone have any suggetstions as how to get this game to run on your computer? I have a very old sysytem Windows 98, 350 processor. Going to upgrade soon but this is what I have right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Ellim: Love the Red Hot Chili Peppers reference.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:11 PM   #46
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

I was only able to get the unpatched version to mostly work.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:23 PM   #47
Blade6119
Coordinator

ive had no prob. with the unpatched version...Is their any way to view the stats of my friends...all i see if their star rating and picture...like does beth have an attractive rating or is this assumption by her image?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:52 PM   #48
NevStar
High School Varsity

Anyone want to give any hints on things to do during gigs. I can't seem to get higher than 20% approval.

I can't compose anything greater than 0 stars, either.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:08 PM   #49
Eilim
High School Varsity

During gigs its really tough to keep the fans up with your starting out stats. I never really found any method to it (even though at times it appeared certain patterns worked.) . The biggest thing is your fatigue, the higher the fatigue the more liking a chance at "failure" at what you try to do to boost it. As my alter ego's stats got higher later on it was much easier.

Having said that, the star rating of the song seems to play a big part in your general approval. 2 star songs will tend to get an approval in the 20's, 3 stars in the 30s, etc. even with horrible "performances".

As far as composing, try and meet and befriend a decent poet and composer. I buy a set of lyrics and a composition before going into the studio for the bonuses. Then its a matter of what it seems to be matching the genre to your bands current skills at(including instrument bonuses) the three stats (Rythym, Heaviness, and Comp.) Then you can tweak the theme and theme intensity to fit the current trend (I forget which, but I think any manager who will talk to you will tell you the current trend even if not hired.)

I've still yet to master composing, but have put out some decent 4 star songs in the early game. Song length seems to play a big and somewhat screwy part of the star rating as it seems song a minute and a half long almost always gather the big ratings. Also tweaking which instrument gets play with multi-instrument members, and adding in solos can help (or hurt) the ranking. Its pretty much play with the sliders till you see something good early on. Oh, and remember to check your bandmates current instruments, you can always buy upgrades and then give them to them through chatting.

Anyways, thats my impression so far. I'm just about to start over as my "Freakee Stylee" project got to the world wide concert level and I screwed up big time on a few decisions. Once you start doing even the lower level concerts and tours the game dynamic changes alot.

-Eilim
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:41 PM   #50
Radii
Head Coach

ok i feel pretty silly having to ask this but how do I go to my job once I've taken one? I took a job as a taxi driver that started at midnight but I couldn't figure out how to go do my job... and, great read, I'm enjoying following along
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote