Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Attention Wal-Mart Customers...

Okay, I have hear ENOUGH about this story already.

Long story short: Someone got on the intercom at a Wal-Mart and made an annoucement along the lines of "Attention Wal-Mart customers, all blacks must leave the store."

Yes it's racist. Yes it's stupid.

But...

Anyone can freaking get on those store intercoms. I used to work in retail a while back and there were always isolated instances of kids getting on an intercom and being stupid. In this case they were being ignorant and racist.

Not sure what Wal-Mart's intercom is like but we had to dial a code to get on the intercom but people could still get that code by watching someone making page on the system.

First what gets under my skin is hearing people talking about boycotting Wal-Mart and all that crap. I am far from a defender of Wal-Mart and generally avoid the store if I can but they are not responsible for this incident. Hell, even if it was an employee (which it wasn't and we'll get to that later) there is no way that Wa-Mart could keep said employee from making an announcement like that.

The ONLY reason to get your panties in a bunch about this would be if Wal-Mart threw their arms up in the air and said "oh well" about the whole thing. The store and the company apologized as quickly as possible and immediately began looking into it. Yet this is not enough for some people, some are saying they may never go back in the store. WTF?!?!?!?!? How idiotic is that? Yeah, let's boycott a store because of something that someone not associated with the store in any way did; even though the store handled the matter appropriately...

Now what do I hear on the news tonight? That they have a lead on the customer that made the announcement (security footage I take it) and an ARREST is expected. An arrest? For what? Last I knew being an idiot wasn't illegal (Oh how I wish it was).

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. I have been getting tired of seeing it on the news all damn week. Just when I thought it was finally blowing over the "arrest" story comes through tonight.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

there is probably some kind of law about using things like that if you are a customer. Public Harassment would work as well.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'm guessing it could be considered a hate crime.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

It would kill me wondering if I heard that, why did they have to leave the store? Was there a lost black kid in the parking lot?

Last edited by TCY Junkie : 03-20-2010 at 02:41 AM. Reason: I went to the store in my mind and heard it and then wrote. It probably didn't make sense.
TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post

That was funny. Mainly I liked when he did it a second time and there was a dad walking by him with a giant smile on his face. That would have been funny to me if I was a customer in that store.

The "black people must leave" is clearly worse, but I agree it is being way overblown.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Yeah, we have people grab the intercom all the time at ours. They scream something and hang up quick. Why Wal-Mart doesn't have a system like Target where the intercoms are with the employees is beyond me.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Yeah, we have people grab the intercom all the time at ours. They scream something and hang up quick. Why Wal-Mart doesn't have a system like Target where the intercoms are with the employees is beyond me.

Because three quarters of the employees at china-mart wouldnt be able to figure the system out.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Because three quarters of the employees at china-mart wouldnt be able to figure the system out.

Keep that sort of talk up and it'll be the chair for you.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Dont worry...the diabetes or the next heart attack will do it...no comfy chair for me !!!!
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Any chance to scream "racism!" for some of these groups. We have the national NAACP calling for our local schoolboard chairman to step down because he said "here come the animals" when it was time for open comments at the meeting. He said it because the crowd was being loud and obnoxious, but because there happened to be some blacks in the crowd, and because the current school board is in favor of ending our socio-economic-based busing scheme, they are crying "racism!". Never mind that more than half the crowd was actually white, and never mind that the local NAACP head has talked about the "mafia" tactics of our school board chairman who happens to have the last name of "Margiotta", nope he must have been racist.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I really think that it was a prankster and not really a racist one at that. He just realized that a racist comment like that would get the biggest reaction out of people. And given that it hit the national media: Mission Accomplished.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The problem is the media. If they didn't make it a big story, it wouldn't be one.

Sadly, I do not think black/white racial issues will ever go away. There are too many people that would lose power if it did.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
JimboJ
High School Varsity

You don't see how telling black people they need to leave the store is considered a hate crime, for which someone should be arrested?? Wow!
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
molson
General Manager

A hate crime needs more than the "hate" - it's not illegal to hate or be racist (I don't think, let's see how this turns out).

For it to be a hate crime, you need a crime, where the victim was targeted specifically because of their race (or depending on the state, gender/sexual orientation/ect)

I doubt there's any specific "victim" here. And there's no crime that fits, I don't think. Maybe you can say trespassing, but in that case, the victim is Walmart.

"Harassment" usually requires a lot more, and an identifiable victim - here's what it requires in New Jersey. Someone could in theory fit this in, but not without violating the 1st amendment and voiding the statute, I wouldn't think.

§ 2C:33-4. Harassment

Except as provided in subsection e., a person commits a petty disorderly persons offense if, with purpose to harass another, he:

a. Makes, or causes to be made, a communication or communications anonymously or at extremely inconvenient hours, or in offensively coarse language, or any other manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm;

b. Subjects another to striking, kicking, shoving, or other offensive touching, or threatens to do so; or

c. Engages in any other course of alarming conduct or of repeatedly committed acts with purpose to alarm or seriously annoy such other person.

A communication under subsection a. may be deemed to have been made either at the place where it originated or at the place where it was received.

d. (Deleted by amendment, P.L. 2001, c. 443).

e. A person commits a crime of the fourth degree if, in committing an offense under this section, he was serving a term of imprisonment or was on parole or probation as the result of a conviction of any indictable offense under the laws of this State, any other state or the United States.

Last edited by molson : 03-20-2010 at 11:02 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

This shit gets so old from the ignorant, simpleton Motherfuckers who find humor in doing offensive shit like this, to the media who have to blow every little thing that even hints of controversy out of proportion, to the grandstanding opportunists that will now come out of the woodwork to condemn Wal-Mart and further stoke racial tensions.

It is what it is, an insensitive idiot who thinks this kind of shit passes as humor. Maybe racist, maybe not, definitely stupid.

You know white people aren't broken down by ethnic background (Germans, Brits, Italians, etc) anymore. Instead those differences are celebrated as people enjoy experiencing the food, music, culture, etc of different backgrounds. Maybe someday this country will get a fucking clue and expand that "celebration of community" to everybody.

Then the opportunists who jump on every chance to exploit shit like this will go away.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

You know white people aren't broken down by ethnic background (Germans, Brits, Italians, etc) anymore. Instead those differences are celebrated as people enjoy experiencing the food, music, culture, etc of different backgrounds. Maybe someday this country will get a fucking clue and expand that "celebration of community" to everybody.

Amen
Old 03-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Slightly OT, but I was talking to a lady from Champaign, IL a few weeks ago. We started talking about the Chief, and she asked my opinion about him. I responded that having talked to the last mascot, who happened to be an American Indian (as were all the mascots before him), and how seriously they took the position, that I had no problem with it. I also asked her if she was aware of what the Notre Dame mascot was. She said no. I told her it is a drunk Irishman that is looking for a fight. Despite being very Irish, I told her I never lost sleep over it, nor did it affect my world view. Heck, I am a ND fan by birth (Irish Catholic family from the Midwest). She was flabbergasted.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
You don't see how telling black people they need to leave the store is considered a hate crime, for which someone should be arrested?? Wow!

How anyone with even half a brain could think this should have been consider anything criminal completely eludes me. This isn't even a funny prank, hard to see how any rational mind could consider what was said as a "crime".

Hopefully the arrest will involve some sort of trespassing charge, or illegal entry, or something that actually makes a shred of sense and not the increasing absurdity of so-called "hate crimes".
Old 03-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
How anyone with even half a brain could think this should have been consider anything criminal completely eludes me. This isn't even a funny prank, hard to see how any rational mind could consider what was said as a "crime".

Hopefully the arrest will involve some sort of trespassing charge, or illegal entry, or something that actually makes a shred of sense and not the increasing absurdity of so-called "hate crimes".

I read this three times to make sure I agreed with you and then when I did I didn't know what to do so I went and got a glass of tea.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I don;t boycott Wal-Unethicals for this, I boycott them for numerous other reasons.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #22
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post

Wow is right!!!! You actualy think this is a "hate crime"?

Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I don;t boycott Wal-Unethicals for this, I boycott them for numerous other reasons.

+1
Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Alas, no such luck that even a shread of common sense would prevail
Police said Saturday the Atlantic County teenager was arrested Friday on charges of harassment and bias intimidation.

What a fucking joke.

Anybody who wonders about the state of race relations in the US should look no further than lunacy such as this to wonder why there isn't more sympathy for the incessant whining.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bias intimidation?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #26
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Alas, no such luck that even a shread of common sense would prevail
Police said Saturday the Atlantic County teenager was arrested Friday on charges of harassment and bias intimidation.

What a fucking joke.

Anybody who wonders about the state of race relations in the US should look no further than lunacy such as this to wonder why there isn't more sympathy for the incessant whining.

I don't know about the specific charges, but in the Jackass / Punked generation I'm all for putting kids that pull these kinds of pranks through the ringer. It's certainly not a hate crime and should have nothing to do with race, but the disrespect things like this show needs to be nipped in the bud early.

How do you feel about kids who steal street signs? What about when they take a stop sign and that leads to a fatal accident? Where is your line drawn?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Agreed. In the Wake County schools example I was talking about above, there are specific comments about how places like Cary where I live are very segregated and non-diverse. No one wants to look at the fact that my local elementary school is 40% non-Caucasian. The problem is that 40% is mostly Indian and Asian, so it's not the right kind of diversity for these folks.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #28
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I don't know about the specific charges, but in the Jackass / Punked generation I'm all for putting kids that pull these kinds of pranks through the ringer.
How do you feel about kids who steal street signs?

+1. And I'm hoping that's all the cops use something like "bias intimidation" for, to throw idiotic punks into jail for a day or three to knock some sense into them before they escalate their pranks to where they are doing harm (like stealing stop signs and whatnot).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #29
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

What about the children? (Just beating the hate crime crowd from going to their last line of defense once all of their other options are shown to be empty of any substance)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #30
Desnudo
Coordinator

they should leave also
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's certainly not a hate crime and should have nothing to do with race, but the disrespect things like this show needs to be nipped in the bud early. How do you feel about kids who steal street signs? What about when they take a stop sign and that leads to a fatal accident? Where is your line drawn?

Did you catch my earlier comment about hoping the charges were related to something that might actually be criminal (trespass, illegal entry, whatever)? That pretty much covers it.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #32
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

This thread begs for the word asshatery.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #33
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
What about the children? (Just beating the hate crime crowd from going to their last line of defense once all of their other options are shown to be empty of any substance)

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #34
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I was being sarcastic. Unless you were calling a strawman on my use of sarcasm.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #35
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Did you catch my earlier comment about hoping the charges were related to something that might actually be criminal (trespass, illegal entry, whatever)? That pretty much covers it.
Not sure those would stick unless the phone was in the backroom or something. The only thing I could think of was Disturbing the Peace. Ultimately, the best punishment is just to get his name out there. You want to speak on an intercom like that, then at least be a man and be identified.

I also wonder if there is any crime for potentially inciting a riot or bad situation. Kind of like how you can't yell "Fire!" in a movie theater. Getting on the microphone and saying something racist could potentially incite violence or major problems for the staff at the store.

I'm not someone as outraged from a customer perspective. I mean it's racist and all but people need to fucking get over it. As a business owner, I just think it's a really shitty spot for the store. They did nothing wrong and have to have their name mixed in with this and probably put some innocent employees in some really shitty positions.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-20-2010 at 06:25 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #36
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

If I dress up as a wal-mart employee, drive to a walmart, then tell random people that they have to leave, did I just commit a crime?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
If I dress up as a wal-mart employee, drive to a walmart, then tell random people that they have to leave, did I just commit a crime?

Only if you offend the wrong bunch of whiny asses.

Offending asshats: criminal (at least in NJ)
Being an asshat: Usually not criminal

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-20-2010 at 06:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #38
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Heard on the radio that the prankster was 16 years old and will be charged with harrassment
Old 03-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

Harassment seems like one of those vague bullshit laws that almost anything can be thrown under (like Criminal Mischief). How about just releasing the kids name and moving on to real issues?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #40
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Unbelievable... What a sad state we are to have something like this happen... Let's arrest a kid for doing a harmless, but stupid, prank. Probably something he did on a dare. If the kid were really trying to "intimidate" I am pretty sure he would have used different language.

So much for common sense in the world.

I wonder if the supreme idiots are still going to boycott the store by "never going back" because of this...
Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #41
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Let's arrest a kid for doing a harmless, but stupid, prank.

And yet "harmless", stupid pranks hurt folks all the time (harmless is in quotes because what one person thinks is harmless often turns out not be). Yes, this kid needs a scare put in him to respect the property of other folks.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
And yet "harmless", stupid pranks hurt folks all the time (harmless is in quotes because what one person thinks is harmless often turns out not be). Yes, this kid needs a scare put in him to respect the property of other folks.

So true, it could have even turned out to be not so harmless for him if the wrong person saw him make the announcement and kicked the shit out of him.

Harmless all to often = something bad is about to happen.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wonder if the supreme idiots are still going to boycott the store by "never going back" because of this...

And somewhere a Wal-Mart official avoids saying what he's thinking since it involves the phrase "briar patch".
Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #44
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Unbelievable... What a sad state we are to have something like this happen... Let's arrest a kid for doing a harmless, but stupid, prank. Probably something he did on a dare. If the kid were really trying to "intimidate" I am pretty sure he would have used different language.

So much for common sense in the world.

That stupid harmless prank will probably end up costing Wal-Mart millions of dollars.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #45
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The problem is the media. If they didn't make it a big story, it wouldn't be one.
And, you don't think there are lawyers behind this so called outrage?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #46
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Harassment seems like one of those vague bullshit laws that almost anything can be thrown under (like Criminal Mischief). How about just releasing the kids name and moving on to real issues?

I hate those statutes. They're poorly written and they criminalize a lot benign conduct. 99% of the time, it isn't an issue because police and prosecutors utilize their discretion and let this stuff go.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #47
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm a very firm believer in the 1st amendment and as much as I hate the KKK, what they say is protected, as ugly and despicable as it is. So, what this law in NJ is saying that if the KKK went marching down the street with their traditional signs and slogans and racist talk, would they get arrested now?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-21-2010 at 12:59 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #48
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
And, you don't think there are lawyers behind this so called outrage?

Hey, don't hate us for being smart.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #49
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Hmmmm if we don't boycott walmart, what do we boycott then? Hmmmmm how about Texas? Can we boycott Texas? Yeah! I will not shop at texas anymore! Ha! That'll show that Texas!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #50
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Did anyone but me bother to look up the definition of hate crime.

Hate crimes (also known as bias-motivated crimes) occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group, usually defined by racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, class, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, or political affiliation.[1]

"Hate crime" generally refers to criminal acts which are seen to have been motivated by hatred of one or more of the listed conditions. Incidents may involve physical assault, damage to property, bullying, harassment, verbal abuse or insults, or offensive graffiti or letters (hate mail).

I think we can all agree this could be considered bullying and harrasment. The key to the definition of hate crime is "motivated by hatred". You all assume that was not the case here, but you don't really know.

First of all, I hate political correctness with a passion. I will be the first one to come out against some trumped up racism charge just because the victim happens to be black.

But folks, racism doesn't get any more blatent than this. Put yourself in the position of a black person shopping in that store. You hear that announcement and you don't know what to think. Is it the store manager? A disgruntled employee? A KKK member? Or just some stupid kid trying to be funny? At that moment in time, all you know is that you have been asked to leave a store because of your race. How is that any different than being asked to sit in the back of the bus?

I agree that chances are it was just a stupid prank. But you can't assume that. You need to do an investigation, find the guy, and determine the motivation. Either way, it has to be considered a crime, and the offender needs to be punished in some way. If there is no deterent, what's going to stop others from doing the same thing? You now how copycats work. I don't want to have to listen to some jackass on the intercom telling me to smell his butt every time I walk into a store.

Last edited by JimboJ : 03-21-2010 at 08:48 AM.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote