Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
WVUFAN
College Starter

Turn Based Games suggestions

Aside from Civ 4, can any of you suggest a good turn based game to me? I'm always looking for something in the X-Com variety, but there doesn't seem to be much on the way of turn based PC games around anymore.

See, I'm old, and I need time to figure out my next move. My reflexes aren't what they were when I was a young'n. Turnbased games fit perfectly for me.

Any suggestions?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Crush Deluxe, available over at the Underdogs
Old 03-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Gal Civ 2
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Try these web sites. All have great turn-based wargames:

http://www.battlefront.com
http://www.matrixgames.com (hush! they've got some great games)
http://www.hpssims.com
http://www.shrapnelgames.com
Old 03-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My other all-time favorite (besides Civ): Imperialism II.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Groundhog
Coordinator

Jagged Alliance 2
Old 03-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

Love this game! Did you recently discover it, or have you played it for a while?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I've played it for a while, finally redownloaded it. I should do an interactive dynasty some day

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-09-2006 at 08:09 PM. Reason: I speel real goodly
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Arcanum
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

I used to play this years ago. Great little game - everything that Bloodbowl for the PC should have been.

Only problem was how you had to cull your team back at the end of the season, and it sucked having to cut your best players
Old 03-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #11
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

For Fantasy TBS I'd give Age of Wonders a go.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
twothree
College Prospect

This is an evil thread. It caused me to lose the last hour and a half of my life. Sure, I was going to type up a list for you. Then I started to reminisce about a bunch of older games like Ascendency, Perfect General, Heroes of Might and Magic, Battles of Destiny, the V for Victory series, the Panzer General series, SimEarth, SimLife, etc.

Somehow, I ended up digging out boxes from the closet containing my old computer games. Now, there are computer CDs and boxes of disks spread out all over my room. What a mess. This is going to take another hour to clean up. This must be one of those "evil plans" mentioned in the Maximum Football thread.

BTW, just use a directory like yahoo, google, or even wikipedia to search for turn based strategy games next time, and save me from thinking about all the great games I use to have time to play. Ooooh, is that a box of SNES games over there....
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #13
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Rome Total War, if you sim the combat. It is like 2 games in 1. You can enslave the ancient world via turn based conquest or you can enter real time combat and control your troops. But you can pause the game while you enter combat orders as much as you like.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #14
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
My other all-time favorite (besides Civ): Imperialism II.

My God, this is a great game -- one of my favorites. I'd also recommend Heroes of Might and Magic III.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #15
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Fallout Tactics
Old 03-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Man, I love turn based games. I've mentioned this many times here. I have no idea why no one has been able to make a better turn based squad level game than X-Com in the last 12-13 years. . .

I loved Heroes III. Heroes V is coming out soon, I think. The Jagged Alliance games are a lot of fun. The Age of Wonders games were fun too.

I will have to check out Imperialism II and Crush Deluxe (I even liked the PC version of Blood Bowl, which wasn't great).

From what I've heard, Galactic Civ II sounds like the newest turn based game of quality after Civ IV.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I've enjoyed UFO aftermath and JA2 Deadly Alliance. I bought Laser Squad Nemesis, but haven;t played it much. It looked very good in turn based combat but didn't have any sort of campaign game and that lost me.

I'd also recommend the Combat Mission games. They aren't turn based, but they move slowly enough that you should be able to follow pretty easily. The same is true for the Close Combat series.

If you know the Warhammer 40K universe, I loved Rites of War. Its the Panzer General engine done in a different universe.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:32 AM   #18
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Being a great lover of turn based games here goes off the top of my head:

* Battle for Wesnoth (Fantasy turn based wargame)
* Civ 4
* Warlord series (earlier number the better imho)
* Master of Magic (if you can find it and get it to run this is a fantasy Civ game)
* Football Manager (sorry couldn't not put this on here )
* Roller Coaster Tycoon (not 'hardcore' but if you want a game that your spouse/children can enjoy with you then its cool - although I prefer 3 to 4 for some reason)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:09 AM   #19
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Being a great lover of turn based games here goes off the top of my head:

* Battle for Wesnoth (Fantasy turn based wargame)
* Civ 4
* Warlord series (earlier number the better imho)
* Master of Magic (if you can find it and get it to run this is a fantasy Civ game)
* Football Manager (sorry couldn't not put this on here )
* Roller Coaster Tycoon (not 'hardcore' but if you want a game that your spouse/children can enjoy with you then its cool - although I prefer 3 to 4 for some reason)
Wow, I didn't think anyone else remembered Master of Magic. This is, aside from X-Com and Master of Orion are my favorite games.

BTW, if you have a copy of the game, and haven't done so, there's a patch available that allows it to be played multiplayer via hotseat or email.

I see that Battle for Wesnoth is a freeware game. That looks pretty interesting. I will have to try that out.

I went out and bought the collectors edition of Galactic Civilizations 2 tonight. I'll give it a try later on this evening. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes turn-based games around here.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 03-10-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #20
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Wow, I didn't think anyone else remembered Master of Magic. This is, aside from X-Com and Master of Orion are my favorite games.
I loved this game - so much so that I actually petitioned Mindscape* at one point to release the source code so I could update it with modern graphics (and improve the AI because it didn't cope particularly well with the mutilple world setup imho).

A great game, wonderful unit balance imho and a spell system which was integrated cleverly on top ......

*I think it was Mindscape - was a long time ago now, incidentally they predictably didn't respond

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-10-2006 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:19 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I loved this game - so much so that I actually petitioned Mindscape* at one point to release the source code so I could update it with modern graphics (and improve the AI because it didn't cope particularly well with the mutilple world setup imho).

A great game, wonderful unit balance imho and a spell system which was integrated cleverly on top ......

*I think it was Mindscape - was a long time ago now, incidentally they predictably didn't respond

Yes. This is the type of initiative we need to see out of you. If you guys at SI can do for turn based strategy games (I'd prefer you start at the squad level, X-Com style, but feel free to start wherever you'd like) what you did for text sim sports games, I would be a very happy person. You have already given me 2 of my top 3 games (FM and EHM) of all time. Make it three for three.

The gauntlet has been thrown, Mr. Vaughn. . .
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-10-2006, 06:21 AM   #22
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Yes. This is the type of initiative we need to see out of you. If you guys at SI can do for turn based strategy games (I'd prefer you start at the squad level, X-Com style, but feel free to start wherever you'd like) what you did for text sim sports games, I would be a very happy person. You have already given me 2 of my top 3 games (FM and EHM) of all time. Make it three for three.

See, I wish I understood soccer, so I could enjoy games like Football Manager. I KNOW they're fantastic games, but my utter lack of knowledge on anything soccer stops me from being able to fully enjoy them.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I'd love to have the time to write a turn based strategy wargame - but to be honest I doubt it'll ever happen, not least because of my ongoing commitment to FM.

(if it did happen then it'd be a wargame RPG in a similar manner to FM, ie. expect units to have bravery and intelligence. In my ideal minds eye you give them orders and send them out but its up to them if they obey them exactly, also if you lose communication with them then they'd act on their own initiative and decide if to continue obeying their last orders or ad-hoc, not to mention recruiting other armies/people according to personality matches etc. .... must stop now, getting over excited )
Old 03-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #24
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Dominion 2 is a fantastic fantasy strategy turn-based game. Nothing much on graphics, but deep gameplay.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:37 AM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'd love to have the time to write a turn based strategy wargame - but to be honest I doubt it'll ever happen, not least because of my ongoing commitment to FM.

(if it did happen then it'd be a wargame RPG in a similar manner to FM, ie. expect units to have bravery and intelligence. In my ideal minds eye you give them orders and send them out but its up to them if they obey them exactly, also if you lose communication with them then they'd act on their own initiative and decide if to continue obeying their last orders or ad-hoc, not to mention recruiting other armies/people according to personality matches etc. .... must stop now, getting over excited )

No! Don't stop! You're doing good. You're doing great! Bravery and intelligence. Exactly! You have to take some of the awesome personality coding found in FM and move it over to troops/soldiers. I have been touting this for years.

Come on, Marc. FM rules the text sim world. It's a great game. It's been around for so long around, I reckon the development and such just sort of runs itself.

*Glances at gauntlet still lying at your feet and settles into a chair in a very Barbara Walters like position for a lengthy interview*

So. . . Bravery and intelligence for units. Interesting. What else do you have in mind?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:42 AM   #26
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Marc - PM sent.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:48 AM   #27
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

Please do this, Please do this, Please do this, Please do this...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:51 AM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Marc - PM sent.

Well done, Cougar. Keep on him. Strike while the iron's hot! You can be my wingman, WSUGhost Rider 117.

P.S. You have permission to fire.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #29
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Checkers is a pretty good turn based strategy game. Once you've mastered that, you can move on to Chess, which is somewhat more complex. Regardless, it's fun to play with yourself, as many teenagers do.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #30
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

A great little game, spent hours of my life on and was available at Underdogs, called 'Buzz Aldrin Race Into Space." Simulation of the moon race vs Soviets, you can play either side and plan which vehicle you want to build and number of astronauts based on real-life possibilities.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #31
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Us game developers think alike

It was fun when I walked in to my first game developer interview. They asked me what my ideal game was, and I described it to them. I got the job, and the Director of Engineering told me (jokingly) that they had to hire me because aside from the subject matter being paintball, I had exactly described the gameplay for the game they were working on: Rainbow Six
Old 03-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #32
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Where do I preorder?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #33
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
See, I wish I understood soccer, so I could enjoy games like Football Manager. I KNOW they're fantastic games, but my utter lack of knowledge on anything soccer stops me from being able to fully enjoy them.

Where do you think lots of us learned what we know about soccer?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #34
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:

Your first game should be based on the Revolutionary War or the War of 1812. If England ever wins then your game is broken.

Of course, I guess you guys might call those wars something else. Do you?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #35
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Btw, I love this thread guys. I recently bought Rise of Nations 2 and can't stand it because it's real time. Drives me crazy
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #36
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Where do you think lots of us learned what we know about soccer?

I'll second that. I played as a kid and stuff but didn't know much of anything beyond the basics when I started with the series.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #37
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN

I know there was speculation and early negotiations going on about half a year ago for Stardock (the GalCiv people) to try a remake of MOM. Don't know if that was ever finalized or not, but I've seen posts by Brad Wardell talking about it.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #38
path12
Coordinator

And going for the triple:

I'll also second the Dominions 2 reference, I believe there is a new one coming out very soon. Also Hollywood Mogul is a fun little game......almost a moviemaking text sim.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #39
Icy
Pro Starter

I posted this in another thread, but also applies here, SPWAW is one of the best squad level turn games, let's say an X-Com but without the bases managing and based on the WWII. The best part is that it's free and updated almost daily with new campaigns, short battles etc. Here is what i posted before:

SP:WAW is a great game, my favorite squad level wargame and it's free at matrix. It comes with tons of historical battles, long campaigns etc. Never found a game like that and even less for free. This game is a must for any wargames fan.

It's downloadable for free at the following places:

2004 JUL 1 - SPWAW v.8.20 FULL @ WorthPlaying.com

This is the full game available for free. (420 MB) - Does not include Mega-Campaigns
http://files.worthplaying.com/files/...wnload&cid=635

2004 JUL 1 - SPWAW v.8.20 FULL @ GamersHell.com

This is the full game available for free. (420 MB) - Does not include Mega-Campaigns
http://www.gamershell.com/download_6363.shtml

2004 JUL 1 - SPWAW v.8.20 FULL @ FilePlanet.com

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/142677.shtml

2002 APR 2 - SPWAW Chlanda Kit

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/SteelP...daSPWaWKit.zip

- Once downloaded, you need to download and apply the patches:

2005 JUN 25 - Steel Panthers World at War Patch v.8.40

This patch makes a wide variety of improvements, and bug fixes, mostly focused on the “long” World War 2 scenario. Additionally several adjustments were devised to improve the game. Patch v8.30 is required to install v8.40.
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/SteelP...pdate-v840.zip

2004 OCT 16 - Steel Panthers World at War Patch v.8.30

This is an incremental update requires v8.2 to be installed first. This update is for both the free version of Steel Panthers: World At War as well as the Steel Panthers: General’s Edition compilation.
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/SteelP...pdate-v830.zip

If you don't have enought with the built in campaigns and battles, the best place to visit to get free mods and more battles/campaigns or even find human rivals to play against is http://www.spwaw.com/ . There you can find also tutorials and they even run a school to teach you the game basics.

Matrix also has long campaigns for sale, with lots of historical videos and documents, i have purchased one of them based on the movie Band of Brothers and the 101 Airborne.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #40
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Just make sure with GalCiv 2 that you read all the tech advances, the text is hilarious.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #41
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
I posted this in another thread, but also applies here, SPWAW is one of the best squad level turn games,
Did they ever finally get rid of the "sit and stare at the computer for 30 minutes while the artillery barrage fires" feature?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #42
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Did they ever finally get rid of the "sit and stare at the computer for 30 minutes while the artillery barrage fires" feature?
Umm never noticed any big slowdown, of course the more artillery pieces firing, the more it takes to show all the impacts, but it's the same on big scenarios like the Omaha beach one, with hundreds of units for the computer to move so it takes a few minutes.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #43
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's funny, I love the Civ series, but really can't get into other TBS games. I didn't really like Moo2. I wasn't into HOMM. I got bored quick with Imperialism II. The only ones that got me were sports text sims.

Though I have heard good stuff about GalCiv2.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #44
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

No one else loves Age of Wonders?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #45
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Umm never noticed any big slowdown, of course the more artillery pieces firing, the more it takes to show all the impacts, but it's the same on big scenarios like the Omaha beach one, with hundreds of units for the computer to move so it takes a few minutes.
It's not that it was ever taxing of system resources, just that it would show each and every impact. Steel Panthers always did this, but when Matrix took it over and expanded the scenarios so there were larger artillery units, it became downright painful to sit there and watch round after round strike. If it steps quickly through each strike, that's a huge improvement. This slowdown was a key reason I stopped playing it.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #46
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
No one else loves Age of Wonders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I loved Heroes III. Heroes V is coming out soon, I think. The Jagged Alliance games are a lot of fun. The Age of Wonders games were fun too.

I did.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #47
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

You have my heartfelt apologies.

I'll also second reading the tech advances in galciv2
Old 03-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #48
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I enjoyed Age of Wonders I & II, but as much as I wanted to love them, it just didn't hook me into the addiction zone.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #49
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
It's funny, I love the Civ series, but really can't get into other TBS games. I didn't really like Moo2. I wasn't into HOMM. I got bored quick with Imperialism II. The only ones that got me were sports text sims.

Though I have heard good stuff about GalCiv2.

A buddy of mine was a dedicated Civ 4 players. He's stayed up til at least 4 in the morning every night since Monday when he d/l'd Gal Civ 2.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #50
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I enjoyed Age of Wonders I & II, but as much as I wanted to love them, it just didn't hook me into the addiction zone.

Liked the first two myself - thought they had a lot of decent ideas and features, very similar in play style (to me at least) to the early Warlord games.