Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should you ever root against your favorite team
Yes, one or more of the reasons stated below makes sense to me 40 54.05%
No, rooting against your team is disloyal and disgusting 32 43.24%
I'll root for them except when they play the Big State U. fighting trout. 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Is it ever OK to root for your favorite team to lose a game?

There are some situations in which I could see an argument that it is OK to root against your team. Most of these apply to the pros, but the last one could apply to a college team as well.

1.) Your favorite team is out of the playoff picture. On the last game of the season, they are playing your second favorite team, who will get into the playoffs with a win. Do you root for your second favorite team?

2.) Your favorite team is tied for the worst record in the league. On the last game of the season, they are playing the other team with the worst record and the loser will get the #1 pick in the draft. The top pick in the upcoming draft looks like the next coming of John Elway and Michael Jordan wrapped into one. Do you hope to lose to get the #1 pick?

3.) Your favorite team is out of the playoffs. The lead player for the opposition is the anchor of your fantasy team. Do you hope for him to have a good game, even if it means that your team loses?

4.) Your coach sucks in your humble opinion, but the owner/AD of your favorite team just can't seem to pull the trigger and fire his dumb ass. Your team is out of the postseason picture. Do you hope that you really stink up the joint during the last couple of games so that the owner/AD will be forced to fire the coach?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I may root for them to do something that will lessen their likelihood of winning (i.e. starting young QB for experience), but I'll never root for one of my teams to lose.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
miked
College Starter

What a sad day when fantasy players dictate whether people root for their favorite teams. You aren't much of a fan if you hope your team gets buried so you can win your fantasy matchup...
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The number one pick scenerio is the only one I would go with.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

And to add another one, you could actually want your team to lose so they get a different matchup in the playoffs that favors them more.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

this thread needs more trout
Old 09-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #7
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

If the Tigers were playing a team and a loss would mean the Yank-mees would miss the playoffs...

Also, if a loss might mean benching Joey...
Old 09-20-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

I will root for the Red Sox to beat my favorite team if a Red Sox win means the Yankees miss the playoffs.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

Definitely the number one draft pick scenario, also possibly the last scenario. Especially in soccer, I have no problem with my team mailing in a couple of games to get a particularly bad manager fired.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #10
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
I have no problem with my team mailing in a couple of games to get a particularly bad manager fired.
I don't like it when players "mail it in." I want them to fight.

When I played a season of semipro football I was on an awful team. In fact, we were in the weakest league in Michigan. We came in last. I was the worst player on the team. So in fact, I was the worst player on the worst team in the worst league in the state.

We played a game against the second ranked team in the state. At the start of the second half we were down 44-0 and one of the guys from the other team tried to shake my hand. I told him to wait until after the game, because if I got a shot at him I was going to take it. He told me to take it easy. I pointed to the scoreboard and said "How can I take it easy when the score is 44-0?" He laughed and agreed. We lost 73-0 because in the second half they took it easy on us.

BTW... I was so bad at DT that I was only in for two plays in a 73-0 blowout loss. The rest of the season I only played on special teams (until my left knee gave out with five games left.)
Old 09-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

#2 makes sense to me, and #4 makes absolute sense to me.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #12
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I couldn't help but laugh at the Vikings after around the 1st quarter. Does that count?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:32 AM   #13
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
The number one pick scenerio is the only one I would go with.
Ditto! I remember 1997-98 when The Falcons, Colts et ala were jockying for #1 overall to get Peyton. Those two Falcons fans with Brown Bags over their heads were classic.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #14
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

5. If your hated enemy is playing for a plaoyff spot, and is behind the team you're playing against currently.

In Italy, Lazio fans, who hate Juventus, actually rooted for Inter Milan against their team - because they wanted Inter to win the Scudetto as opposed ot Juventus. It happens fairly often in Europe.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #15
condors
College Starter

1.) Your favorite team is out of the playoff picture. On the last game of the season, they are playing your second favorite team, who will get into the playoffs with a win. Do you root for your second favorite team?

nope keep on cheering my team on

2.) Your favorite team is tied for the worst record in the league. On the last game of the season, they are playing the other team with the worst record and the loser will get the #1 pick in the draft. The top pick in the upcoming draft looks like the next coming of John Elway and Michael Jordan wrapped into one. Do you hope to lose to get the #1 pick?

#1 pick in the draft is always some great guy before he laces them up but Jordan wasn't the first pick in the draft so i will take my chances

3.) Your favorite team is out of the playoffs. The lead player for the opposition is the anchor of your fantasy team. Do you hope for him to have a good game, even if it means that your team loses?

nope my fantasy teams are just for fun

4.) Your coach sucks in your humble opinion, but the owner/AD of your favorite team just can't seem to pull the trigger and fire his dumb ass. Your team is out of the postseason picture. Do you hope that you really stink up the joint during the last couple of games so that the owner/AD will be forced to fire the coach?

This i can sorta relate i am no fan of the Phillies current manager (but i was a Bowa guy) while i would have no problem if he gets fired i still pull for the Phillies to win no matter what.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #16
MJ4H
Coordinator

I will never root for my favorite team to lose. Ever. I don't care the reasons. If it isn't meant to be, it isn't.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #17
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I can't believe no one has mentioned the most obvious one:

6. If you're betting against your favorite team.

Pride is fun, but money, generally, is more fun.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #18
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Is it ok to root for them to tie?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #19
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
I don't like it when players "mail it in." I want them to fight.

When I played a season of semipro football I was on an awful team. In fact, we were in the weakest league in Michigan. We came in last. I was the worst player on the team. So in fact, I was the worst player on the worst team in the worst league in the state.

We played a game against the second ranked team in the state. At the start of the second half we were down 44-0 and one of the guys from the other team tried to shake my hand. I told him to wait until after the game, because if I got a shot at him I was going to take it. He told me to take it easy. I pointed to the scoreboard and said "How can I take it easy when the score is 44-0?" He laughed and agreed. We lost 73-0 because in the second half they took it easy on us.

BTW... I was so bad at DT that I was only in for two plays in a 73-0 blowout loss. The rest of the season I only played on special teams (until my left knee gave out with five games left.)

I've played on two 0-8 football teams. I feel your pain.

What I was trying to get at was if a manager is a shitty manager and generally loses the plot, if it's my team I'm perfectly happy to sacrifice a couple of performances to get him fired.

An example, my fiancee is a huge Newcastle fan and although she was delighted to win on the weekend (and for Shearer and Owen to both score inparticular), we were both kinda disappointed as we both think Souness is a shocking manager and an asswipe to boot, and a humiliating defeat to his old team would almost certainly have been the final nail in his coffin.
To each his own I guess... for me the worst thing in the world is to have a complete idiot at the helm of your favourite team. Everybody has seen it happen at one point or another.

Last edited by bhlloy : 09-20-2005 at 12:02 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

DOLA: ok unless something bizarre like they were playing prisoners who would be killed if they lost or something like that.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:01 PM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
5. If your hated enemy is playing for a plaoyff spot, and is behind the team you're playing against currently.

YUP.

The only enemy i hate to this level though is Duke, and it would be extremely rare when a team beating UNC to vault themselves over Duke would really hurt Duke that much.

If the Panthers were #1 in the NFC South no matter what, and they played Tampa Bay in the last week of the season, and a Tampa Bay win would keep Atlanta out of the playoffs, I don't think I would actively root *for* Tampa Bay, but it would most definitely lessen the pain of a loss if Carolina did happen to lose.

Similar sentiments apply in any Cubs/Braves situation that could result in the Braves not making the playoffs.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions

So what? You got paid to play football, didn't you? So quit yer grousin'

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #23
st.cronin
General Manager

2 & 4 I have succombed to - but I felt dirty after.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:19 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

In my mind, order of "okayness". Ones not included aren't ok- you know like rooting against your team for fantasy gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
DOLA: ok unless something bizarre like they were playing prisoners who would be killed if they lost or something like that.

In the end, it's only sports so life and death matter a bit more. Unless maybe they're Cardinal fans... no, even then Still, kindof a rare one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
And to add another one, you could actually want your team to lose so they get a different matchup in the playoffs that favors them more.

Definitely- this is to the benefit of your team. Nothing wrong with this at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight

It's a meaningless game that could really help your team in the future- very low short term pain versus possible long term success. Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot

Sure, it sucks to see your team lose, but if it means your hated rival stays home during the playoffs and is no better off than you, bitter spite is a great reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue

Pride is fun, but money, generally, is more fun.

This is just a bad, bad idea. Don't bet in games involving teams you have too much of a vested emtional interest in. It'll skew your judgement.

Quote:

This is a tough one, but sometimes it has to be done.

Quote:

Another sticky wicket- but I could see it. Last year, to have the playoffs where it's the Cards, Yanks, and BoSox in the NCS- that was like rooting hell. All teams I dislike but thankfully there was Houston. Not only that but Beltran was with them so it was like having the hometown team there a little, too.

SI

Old 09-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #25
Galaril
Pro Starter

Sure. Ask a Browns fan or Detroit Lions fan or the LA Clippers? Historical 1st round draft pick storage sites.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #26
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Quote:

This is just a bad, bad idea. Don't bet in games involving teams you have too much of a vested emtional interest in. It'll skew your judgement.

I don't get too excited when my favorite teams win, and I don't get too worked up when they lose. Maybe I'm unusual that way.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't get too excited when my favorite teams win, and I don't get too worked up when they lose. Maybe I'm unusual that way.

I was referring more to having much more information about your team and succombing to paralysis by analysis (as much "I've seen my team blow it a lot in the 4th quarter so I'll pick against them" as it is "I know my boys are going to win today, I can feel it")

SI

Old 09-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #28
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I was referring more to having much more information about your team and succombing to paralysis by analysis (as much "I've seen my team blow it a lot in the 4th quarter so I'll pick against them" as it is "I know my boys are going to win today, I can feel it")

I don't do this either.

Good advice though.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #29
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
In these situations I still root for my favorite team, but view it as a win-win situation and don't get bummed out at all if they lose.

Quote:
I can see this one, although usually its not that clear cut. In retrospect I'm extremely happy the Colts got the #1 in 98, but at the time #1 or #2 seemed win-win.

Quote:
No way. You're not much of a fan of your team if you do that IMO. One of my pet peeves is going to a bar to watch football on Sunday and all the people rooting for individual players in the name of fantasy football instead of watching/rooting for teams. I especially hate it when people celebrate injuries because the player is on the opponents fantasy team or they have the backup...

Quote:
I don't think its a good reason at all. Even when the Pacers had Isiah Thomas and the Colts had Mora it never even crossed my mind to actually root against them so he'd get fired. Wouldn't you instead root for the coach to get it/the team to gel so you have hope for the future instead of wanting him to fail so you can take a chance on a new unknown?

Last edited by Daimyo : 09-20-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #30
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Never.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #31
rkmsuf
Head Coach

So hypothetically what if say in 1996 Drew Bledsoe runs over your foot leaving the stadium and you exclaim "You f*ck! I hope you lose next week" and then proceed to root for the Jets the next Sunday.

Is that wrong?

Last edited by rkmsuf : 09-20-2005 at 01:38 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #32
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I had the idea that, for the last game or two of the season, it might be OK to root against your team for a very tangible and definite draft reward. And even that felt a bit icky and questionable to me. And it certainly was a necessary evil.

Bill Simmons apparently now enjoys rooting against the Celtics for the majority of the basketball season just so they can be likely to get a few more ping pong balls in the lottery. He even has a name for it: fantanking.

Based on this thread, I can't see most people on this board going for that line of thinking.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...x?name=simmons

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...70202_magazine
Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #33
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I like Simmons and am even in the minority on this board who doesn't think he has jumped the shark at all. But this last column is so anti-true sports fan that I was very dissappointed. Simmons used to seem like the type of guy that would be sitting next to me in the late 90's at Bengal games cheering for Pelfrey to kick a field goal and knock Minnesota out of the playoffs. Now he seems no different than some of my Mizzou friends who will bet on KU football and one idiot who acutally laid a couple thousand dollara down on Nebraska a few years ago against the Tigers. (This guy is only worth that much also!)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #34
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't remember this thread from the first time around, but I'll say this: A lot of people play fantasy sports for big money. If you can make big bucks because of your fantasy QB torching your favorite team, well, I think that can sway things.

I'm a big Broncos fan, but the Broncos are just for fun. The bottom line is that I don't really get much from their wins. Sure, I'm a happy fan for a while, but do they share their paychecks with me? Do they come over to my house and celebrate their wins with me? Do they even know who I am from 1500 miles away?

Given the choice, I'd take the money.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #35
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

If the loss will be beneficial in terms of the long term success of the team then hell yes it is ok to root against them.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #36
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Yeah, im very big on the "greater good" argument. Rooting against Herman Edwards' Jets was worth it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I had the idea that, for the last game or two of the season, it might be OK to root against your team for a very tangible and definite draft reward. And even that felt a bit icky and questionable to me. And it certainly was a necessary evil.

Bill Simmons apparently now enjoys rooting against the Celtics for the majority of the basketball season just so they can be likely to get a few more ping pong balls in the lottery. He even has a name for it: fantanking.

Based on this thread, I can't see most people on this board going for that line of thinking.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...x?name=simmons

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...70202_magazine

To be fair, he originally wanted the team to play poorly so Rivers would be fired. And it's not like he's not a huge fan who hasn't supported them through the tough times. This is just too much for him, kind of like how I have been with the Knicks for the past few years.

I don't have a problem with it in pro sports, especially when it's painfully clear that your squad has no shot. Never, ever root for your college team to lose though. That's just disgraceful.

Quick sidestep, and I apologize for going off topic, but I almost started a whole thread about this last night but chose not to (mostly because I figured the Simmons haters would crap all over it with the "jumped the shark comments).

I am one of his biggest fans out there, but if you're Bill Simmons, and you have bashed Peyton Manning for years, always bringing up how he can't win the big one (even saying how Tee Martin was able to, when Manning couldn't), and you write a week of SB preview articles from Miami, and you pick Rex Grossman's Bears over Peyton's Colts because, once again, you say Peyton will choke, you cannot, under any circumstances, not put up a post-SB article where you take your lumps for getting it wrong.

ON TOP OF THAT...if for some reason you couldn't get to your computer right away to say that, you cannot, under any circumstances, wait another 4 days to post an article.

ON TOP OF THAT...under no circumstances can that article be a BASKETBALL BLOG without a single mention of the Super Bowl. If you're not ready for it, fine, but put a little disclaimer at the top saying "Check back Friday for my SB wrap-up article, where you will read about me eating crow."

Just a bad, bad job out of him. I don't blame the people who have been jumping all over him in that new ESPN Conversation thing...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #38
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Bill Simmons is like one of your funny buddies. And, like one of your funny buddies, he is wrong on pretty much every prediction he ever makes. I mean, this guy lost to his know-nothing wife in picking football games this year. You don't read him for his insights, you read him because he is funny.

Oh, and I think you can root for whatever you think would be best for your team. Unless you are at the game, you definitely can not root against your team at your own stadium.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #39
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Do people actually have second favorite teams?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #40
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Do people actually have second favorite teams?

Apparently. I don't quite understand, but there are a number of people on this board that do. Some people fall back on this second favorite team if their other team sucks. I have stuck with the Chargers and Padres through thick and thin and never imagined rooting for the flavor of the year.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #41
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I don't remember this thread from the first time around, but I'll say this: A lot of people play fantasy sports for big money. If you can make big bucks because of your fantasy QB torching your favorite team, well, I think that can sway things.

I'm a big Broncos fan, but the Broncos are just for fun. The bottom line is that I don't really get much from their wins. Sure, I'm a happy fan for a while, but do they share their paychecks with me? Do they come over to my house and celebrate their wins with me? Do they even know who I am from 1500 miles away?

Given the choice, I'd take the money.

This is the best reason I can think of why I stopped doing fantasy football. When we care more about how player x is doing than the team we root for, then there is something wrong, IMHO.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #42
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Bill Simmons is like one of your funny buddies. And, like one of your funny buddies, he is wrong on pretty much every prediction he ever makes. I mean, this guy lost to his know-nothing wife in picking football games this year. You don't read him for his insights, you read him because he is funny.

He proved his point with that. If I remember correctly, he said something along the lines of "People like me, we sit here all week, analyzing numbers, talking to other people, trying to gain insight, flip back and forth between our decisions before finally making the pick...are we overanalyzing this stuff? Maybe its not that complex. Maybe someone without any knowledge could do a better job."

And she did.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #43
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub View Post
This is the best reason I can think of why I stopped doing fantasy football. When we care more about how player x is doing than the team we root for, then there is something wrong, IMHO.

I still play, but it has definitely lost some of its luster for this reason. Late October, I was at a bar before a Sunday night college football game, so obviously it was full of people watching the NFL games. LT scored on maybe a 20 yard TD run, and this guy who was wearing a Jets jersey went absolutely nuts celebrating. I mean, jumping up and down, screaming at the top of this lungs, high-fiving random people. That's when I heard him say something like "He's going to have a huge day for me."

About a half hour later, the Jets scored a TD. His celebration wasn't even close to being at the same level.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #44
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Apparently. I don't quite understand, but there are a number of people on this board that do. Some people fall back on this second favorite team if their other team sucks. I have stuck with the Chargers and Padres through thick and thin and never imagined rooting for the flavor of the year.
When my wife and I first started dating she wasn't into sports. She knew she had to cheer for the Leafs if she wanted to spend any time with me, but at one point she asked if she was allowed to have a second favorite team. I told her she could, as soon as I was allowed to have a second favorite girlfriend. I think she got the point.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #45
SuperGrover
Mascot

Honestly, I've of the mind set that unless you're playing a rival, it doesn't matter what your record ends up at if you aren't in the playoffs. So, once I'm pretty sure my team is out i root for them to drop all there games, but be competitive the entire time.

This obviously applies to the pros only.
SuperGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #46
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
When my wife and I first started dating she wasn't into sports. She knew she had to cheer for the Leafs if she wanted to spend any time with me, but at one point she asked if she was allowed to have a second favorite team. I told her she could, as soon as I was allowed to have a second favorite girlfriend. I think she got the point.

LOL.....that is hardcore.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #47
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that it is OK to have a second favorite team.

My favorite team is the Saints. But, having roomed with a huge Steelers fan, I got into them. They are my second favorite team. The distance between #1 and #2 is huge, but I do have a #2 team.

And, come March Madness, I am totally into the flavor of the month.1 I want the Tar Heels to win it all, but otherwise I am just going to cheer for whatever mid-major Cinderellas happen to make it to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond.

1 March.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-09-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #48
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I do, too. I've been down here in Louisiana for 7 years now and have been to a few Saints' home games. I like them. I liked them a few years ago when they weren't good. I like them even more now that they have added Reggie Bush. I see nothing wrong with rooting for them as a second team. Of course, I was rooting for the Eagles in the playoff game and I'll always root for the Eagles over the Saints anytime they meet.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #49
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGrover View Post
Honestly, I've of the mind set that unless you're playing a rival, it doesn't matter what your record ends up at if you aren't in the playoffs. So, once I'm pretty sure my team is out i root for them to drop all there games, but be competitive the entire time.

This obviously applies to the pros only.

I guess that's true in a pratical sense, but in the NFL, isn't a 9-7 non-playoff team closer to where you want to be than a 4-12 team?

Anyway, as a Celtics fan, I have a morbid facination with the Celtics losing streak. It isn't even about the lottery or firing Rivers (I mean, even if they lose every game the rest of the year they still only have a 25% chance at the top pick and a guy who may or may not work out). I just think it would be fun somehow to reach 24 or 25 games.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #50
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

My favorite team is the Saints. But, having roomed with a huge Steelers fan, I got into them. They are my second favorite team. The distance between #1 and #2 is huge, but I do have a #2 team.

And, come March Madness, I am totally into the flavor of the month.1 I want the Tar Heels to win it all, but otherwise I am just going to cheer for whatever mid-major Cinderellas happen to make it to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond.

1 March.

Did you really just use a footnote?