Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2003, 07:32 PM   #1
Franklinnoble
Banned

Unhappy Laid Off

Just got axed today... company slashed this year's IT budget.

Of course, the worst part is no FOF2k4 for a while.

Oh, and I'm done with the "Franklin" handle. It must be cursed...

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:34 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sorry dude.

Didn't get FOF2004 in time huh?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Sorry to hear it man.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:57 PM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Now get to job hunting pronto!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
Philliesfan980
Banned

If you have plenty of experience, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #6
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

sorry to hear the bad news.

Best of luck!

FM
Old 11-14-2003, 08:16 PM   #7
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Best of Luck "F"man.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #8
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

I work for a construction company on a paving crew and get laid off every year around Thanks Giving. I draw max un-employment and usually go back around the 1st of April, God I love my winter vacation.

Sign up for unemployment and unless it's a major paycut don't rush going back to work...think of it as paid vacation...
Old 11-14-2003, 08:25 PM   #9
mrskippy
Banned

If you've got a BA, go take the CBEST and than apply to be a substitute teacher. Since you're in California, it shouldn't be too hard to find work. It'll cost you some cash (CBEST, fingerprinting, and permit), but it is worth it.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:32 PM   #10
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Well we all know what needs to be done here. Walk into the place and wax the bastards.

Sorry to hear about this and good luck find the next one.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:35 PM   #11
mrskippy
Banned

You know I almost spit on a newsrack of my former paper the other day. I also flipped the building off when I drove by. Of course, I also said thanks for assisting in my career change. Woohoo!!!

Changing careers was a great decision.

BTW ... if you have or can get Macintosh certification, I know of a school that needs a systems administrator.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #12
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I'm sorry to hear about it Mr. Noble. Keep your chin up... and let me know if I can do anything to help.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:56 PM   #13
tucker342
Pro Starter

That sucks dude
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 09:56 PM   #14
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

I was laid off this time last year, so i feel your pain. But like everyone says, keep a good attitude, keep your chin up. Hopefully you find a better job bud.
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:14 PM   #15
wbonnell
College Prospect

Re: Laid Off

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Just got axed today... company slashed this year's IT budget.

Of course, the worst part is no FOF2k4 for a while.

Oh, and I'm done with the "Franklin" handle. It must be cursed...

What do you do for a living?
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:17 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear this as well. I hope everything goes well for you.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:41 PM   #17
clintl
College Starter

Sorry to hear that.

FWIW, I've been doing some substitute teaching this fall. If you're at all inclined to take mrskippy's suggestion, I can share with you my perspective.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:56 PM   #18
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl

FWIW, I've been doing some substitute teaching this fall. If you're at all inclined to take mrskippy's suggestion, I can share with you my perspective.

What grades and/or classes have you been subbing?

I personally prefer high school.

Had a great assignment today. Teacher was there when I arrived. She was a babe. Not married either.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:12 PM   #19
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Damn. Sorry to hear, it's always rough. Spend the $30 now before you'll need it and this may give you some extra time to build a winner... See, there's always something good to come from the bad!
Old 11-14-2003, 11:35 PM   #20
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mrskippy
What grades and/or classes have you been subbing?

I personally prefer high school.

Had a great assignment today. Teacher was there when I arrived. She was a babe. Not married either.

I've taught 1st grade up through high school. I haven't taught any age group enough times to really have a favorite yet.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:47 AM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn, that really sucks dude. Hope you find something new soon...

But on a good note at least now you'll have plenty of time for the Matrix dynasty!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 01:41 AM   #22
sooner333
College Starter

Haha, in Oklahoma, the qualifications for subbing were going to a 3 hour class and having a high school diploma. That's it. So, with Northwestern having the quarter system and starting in late September, I spent that month substitute teaching at my old high school. Considering that I knew a lot of the kids, it was kind fun/odd. Anyway, usually the teacher leaves a good amount of work and they don't expect you to know anything. Then you just tell the kids to do it and turn it in, or whatever. Just let them talk amongst themselves and they won't cause too much trouble.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 07:19 AM   #23
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ShovelMonkey
I work for a construction company on a paving crew and get laid off every year around Thanks Giving. I draw max un-employment and usually go back around the 1st of April, God I love my winter vacation.

Sign up for unemployment and unless it's a major paycut don't rush going back to work...think of it as paid vacation...

You know, I'm probably going to come across as a prick, so I apologize in advance.

[rant]
Enjoy your fucking "paid vacation" that the rest of the people in Pennsylvania are paying for. You are obviously physically able to work since you work on a paving crew. Yet rather than find a job and work for your money, you'd rather live off the public tit. Unemployment is intended for people like FranklinNoble who got laid off and need assistance making ends meet until they are able to find another job. Fucking mooch.
[/rant]
Old 11-15-2003, 07:38 AM   #24
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
You know, I'm probably going to come across as a prick, so I apologize in advance.

[rant]
Enjoy your fucking "paid vacation" that the rest of the people in Pennsylvania are paying for. You are obviously physically able to work since you work on a paving crew. Yet rather than find a job and work for your money, you'd rather live off the public tit. Unemployment is intended for people like FranklinNoble who got laid off and need assistance making ends meet until they are able to find another job. Fucking mooch.
[/rant]

huh, I may not have used the same wording, but you paraphrased quite well my thoughts...

FM
Old 11-15-2003, 07:56 AM   #25
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I don't know the specific case for ShovelMonkey, but in some cases, they end up working 80-90 hours for the 7-8 months they do work. For that time they have little to no free time. I say live it up.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:04 AM   #26
CraigSca
Pro Starter

He can live it up, but use the funds that he saved during his months of work to have his vacation. I think the point is - why should the state of Pennsylvania subsidize his vacation and not him?
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 08:04 AM   #27
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
I don't know the specific case for ShovelMonkey, but in some cases, they end up working 80-90 hours for the 7-8 months they do work. For that time they have little to no free time. I say live it up.

Live it up on someone else's dime. Scumbags.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 09:26 AM   #28
Raiders Army
Coordinator

And this is what is wrong with unemployment and welfare. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and there were families that lived on welfare who could've worked, but why? Oh, by the way, what do you think they did for entertainment since they had no money? They screwed and created more little "welfare" babies. And what do you think their kids grew up to be? Welfare recipients. You all can join the Army like me and not worry about getting laid off
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 09:36 AM   #29
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Well, if he IS working 80-90 hours a week for those 7 or 8 months, then it seems to me he should be pulling in enough money to live throughout the year. If not, go find another job.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:06 AM   #30
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Well, if he IS working 80-90 hours a week for those 7 or 8 months, then it seems to me he should be pulling in enough money to live throughout the year. If not, go find another job.

I am not against reform in the system. But as it stands, he would be a fool not to take the money that is offered to him. As for continued discussion of this, perhaps a different thread should be created. I doubt this is the proper one for this.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:30 AM   #31
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sorry to hear that, Franklin. I hope you find something new soon. Tough time of year to be unemployed.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:31 AM   #32
Franklinnoble
Banned

I don't have a degree. I'm a server systems admin w/10 yrs. exp. I'm sure I'll find something; this is just a shitty time of year to be out of work.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:35 AM   #33
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigSca
He can live it up, but use the funds that he saved during his months of work to have his vacation. I think the point is - why should the state of Pennsylvania subsidize his vacation and not him?

Because people expect the government to "do" something.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:35 AM   #34
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Oh, and Franklin - good luck man.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #35
wbonnell
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
I am not against reform in the system. But as it stands, he would be a fool not to take the money that is offered to him. As for continued discussion of this, perhaps a different thread should be created. I doubt this is the proper one for this.

doesn't make it ethical

Last edited by wbonnell : 11-15-2003 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:01 AM   #36
sooner333
College Starter

There are a ton of things the government do to give people artificial advantages. Some people really do deserve this money, many people do not. Welfare ought to be reformed to match people with jobs as soon as possible and as soon as they can be trained and placed into that job, the benefits cease. Wisconsin privatized its welfare services to for-profit companies who agressively placed people in jobs, and they ended up making a lot of money that way. Should private companies be making money off of welfare? That's a separate question alltogether. But it does show that the system saves a lot of money and still gets people the jobs they deserve.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:06 AM   #37
wbonnell
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by sooner333
Some people really do deserve this money, many people do not.

Deserve? That's a strong word.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:16 AM   #38
sooner333
College Starter

Well, by deserve I mean need as well. Only people who need the money deserve the money. It's that simple. Taking a long vacation on the government doesn't really illustrate need to me. I can't say I blame anybody for taking it, even though the morality could be questioned, because it is there for the taking. My point is, that it should not be there for the taking, so something should be done to fix it.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:36 PM   #39
clintl
College Starter

As I pointed out in the other thread, unemployment benefits are not welfare. They are an insurance claim for which premiums have been made by the employer for coverage. That doesn't mean that it's not a good idea to require people receiving the benefits to look for work, because that keeps the premium costs down and has other social and economic benefits, but anyone who is qualified to receive benefits should have no guilt or qualms about taking them, any more than they should feel any guilt for making an auto insurance claim even if they have the money to pay for the damage themselves. The coverage has been paid for, and there's nothing wrong with using it.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:32 PM   #40
Bronxbombers
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by ShovelMonkey

As a business owner, I have to say how offensive this is. Unemployment is NOT for a goddamn paid vacation. It is to provide a temporary souce of income until you find ANOTHER job, NOT to sit on your fat butt. This is not money you have paid into, does not come out of any taxes, etc. It's a fund that is paid by the employer, and every dollar that someone takes out, the employer has to replace.

I have to go in front of judges at least twice a month because of lazy ex-employees who want to get paid to sit at home and watch television.

Welcome to the welfare/ trailer park crowd. You fit right in...

P.S. This is no reflection on honest folks who live in trailer parks. My wife and I started out that way.
Bronxbombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #41
Bronxbombers
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee

[rant]
[/rant]

THANK YOU! These are the words of an honest man...
Old 11-15-2003, 02:39 PM   #42
Bronxbombers
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl
As I pointed out in the other thread, unemployment benefits are not welfare. They are an insurance claim for which premiums have been made by the employer for coverage. That doesn't mean that it's not a good idea to require people receiving the benefits to look for work, because that keeps the premium costs down and has other social and economic benefits, but anyone who is qualified to receive benefits should have no guilt or qualms about taking them, any more than they should feel any guilt for making an auto insurance claim even if they have the money to pay for the damage themselves. The coverage has been paid for, and there's nothing wrong with using it.

Close... there is no insurance at work here. That is Workman's Comp. This is strictly a fund that the employer MUST keep (and the formula for the fund amount is quite complicated. Took my accountant over 3 hours to get me up to speed.). When an ex-employee pulls money out, the employer MUST replace it. That is why all companies fight this like rabid dogs. Why should a lazy ex-employee get a paid vacation on the companies dime? The original guy who started this whole thread is just a piece of trash, pure and simple.

Funny how we don't see him here defending his views...
Old 11-15-2003, 03:26 PM   #43
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The original guy who started this whole thread is just a piece of trash, pure and simple.

Well,I'm positive that Franklin Noble appreciates your concern during his time of hardship. Why not read the entire thread before you insert your foot in your mouth?

Because I'm sure this was all his fault:
Quote:
Just got axed today... company slashed this year's IT budget

--tim
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 03:31 PM   #44
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I'm going to give Bronx Bombers the benefit of the doubt and assume he was simply confused with who started this thread (Franklinnoble) and who kinda started the threadjack (shovel monkey).
Old 11-15-2003, 03:33 PM   #45
Bronxbombers
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by finkenst
Well,I'm positive that Franklin Noble appreciates your concern during his time of hardship. Why not read the entire thread before you insert your foot in your mouth?

Because I'm sure this was all his fault:

--tim

Sorry, I misstyped. I meant the guy who originally came out with the unemployment rights statement. NOT the guy who got laid off of course.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:53 PM   #46
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronxbombers
Close... there is no insurance at work here. That is Workman's Comp. This is strictly a fund that the employer MUST keep (and the formula for the fund amount is quite complicated. Took my accountant over 3 hours to get me up to speed.). When an ex-employee pulls money out, the employer MUST replace it. That is why all companies fight this like rabid dogs.

Thanks for the clarification. On the California Employment Development Department's website (the agency the administers the program in California), it's referred to as an insurance program, and the way it's described there sounds more like an insurance program, too. It may be handled differently in different states, or EDD may just have a muddled explanation of how the program works on the employer side. The page I was looking seemed intended more for the claimants than for employers.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:10 AM   #47
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yo! Threadjackers- pipe down!

I mean, I'm all for a good threadjack but FN just lost his job- this isn't the time or place.

Anyways, good luck on the job find, man. It's a tough industry to be in right now.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:06 AM   #48
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

You guys are right. Just because a company that Shovel works for 80-90 hours a week for 8-9 months lays him off right at Christmas, and even though there are no other jobs available in his field during the winter, and even though the company he works for is the one who is actually paying the unemployment (which is cheaper for them than keeping him on staff till he is needed again in the fall and they are probably quite happy with the arrangement), he is a complete jerk for taking money given to him by his employer because he was laid off.

And the people who are attacking him are not morons.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:11 AM   #49
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

By the way, Franklin, good luck finding another job. And don't feel a bit guilty about taking every dime of unemployment coming to you while you try to find the right job for you. I'm sure the corporate exec that laid you off isn’t losing a minute of sleep over cashing his/her big bonus check that was once your salary.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #50
sooner333
College Starter

I don't think people have too much problem taking the money. After all, he would need a replacement of funds while he was not working. But, the main issue people have is the way he phrased it. Instead of saying, "I took the money while I was looking for a job," he said, "I'm taking a paid vacation, woohoo!" It seems like an abuse of the system that is in place. We don't know if there are more jobs out there in his field in the winter because he's just sitting down and watching television all day instead of taking a look.