Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Craptacular
College Starter

Tour de France 2003

The battle lines were drawn today in Stage 4, the team time trial. Going into today, Lance Armstrong was 19" back of the leader, but his teammate Victor Hugo Pena was 1" ahead of him.

*spoiler* (don't read if you're planning on watching this later today on OLN or other networks around the world)

After a "slow" start, the USPS team kicked things into high gear, blowing away the competition and winning the time trial by 30" over ONCE - Eroski, the team of one of Lance's main competitors, Joseba Beloki. This means Victor Hugo Pena will wear the yellow jersey for Stage 5, and Lance is 1" behind. In fact, if I did my math correctly (the stage just ended a few minutes ago), the USPS team should have the top 7 spots in the overall classification. (edit: looks like it's actually the top 8 ... I missed one guy)

It'll now be interesting to see how the team defends the jersey for the next couple of flat stages before they get to the Alps, and the expected showdown on the switchbacks of Alpe d'Huez.

Last edited by Craptacular : 07-09-2003 at 10:22 AM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:38 AM   #2
Alf
Pro Starter

Crappy : they won't defend the jersey. They have no use in that since, they are already in a strong position. Lance is ahead by 30" over his main opponents. They just need to control the race. They may even let some nobodies escape from the "peloton" group for small wins.

The sprinter teams will do the work for US Postal as their chances to win stages are now rather than in the Alps.

Expect the real battle for the yellow jersey to start with the Alps Saturday with Lyon/Morzin-Avoriaz stage. Of course Sunday will be even bigger with Alpe d'Huez. Also expect Richard Virenque to try something on July 14th (french runners alwys try to do well that day) as it is the last day in the real Alps.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

They'll loosely defend it. With so many guys so far up the GC, they'll take the opportunity to send out at least two of them on every stage in breaks. By doing this, the other teams will have to organise chases so that the USPS riders won't garner a large lead should one of the breaks actually succeed.

When the other teams chase, the remainder of the team can sit in & just get the free ride. They are in an absolutey wonderfull position of being in the lead, threatining the peloton with so many riders so far up the GC, such that they'll be able to conserve themselves a great deal leading into the mtn stages.

The only chasing USPS will have to do, is if one of the big guns gets out in a good break. Then, you'll see 'em come to the front. Again, they'll be well rested, and that opponent will be putting out a good deal of effort for likely very minimal or negative gains.

Last edited by damnMikeBrown : 07-09-2003 at 11:51 AM.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
Craptacular
College Starter

Watching the first few stages, I found myself kind of pulling for one of those breakways to succeed, even if that delayed the wearing of the yellow jersey by Lance or Ullrich or Beloki or whoever will end up with it. You kind of feel sorry for guys who break away for 150 km and then get reeled in right near the end. However, now that the Posties have the maillot jaune, I'd like to see them keep it from here on. I know they could probably let a few of the non-climbers grab it on a breakaway, knowing that they'd probably get it back once they got to the Alps, but it would be cool to see Pena wear it for a few days.

I haven't even ridden a bike in years, but Tour de France is always one of my favorite sporting events to watch. I'm a little torn about whether to follow the action on the website or wait to watch the stages on OLN at night, but I seem to enjoy the TV coverage even if I know what happens.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:57 PM   #5
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I heard signals that Armstrong might not be the strong, confident Texan "we" used to know in Le Tour, even though his team looks stronger then ever.
Quote:
You kind of feel sorry for guys who break away for 150 km and then get reeled in right near the end.
I do not.
They know they're acting crazy trying to ride away from 180 riders and expect to beat an organized chase with about 30 different riders using their energy to grab the group.
These (mostly French) riders are there to promote their sponsor and make their team being selected for Le Tour pay off.
That and I really like to see the last 10-20 chilometres of setting up the mass sprint.

Of course, when the battle for the Tour victory starts this weekend, we'll get to see the first glimps of who will finish high and who will not.
At this point, I'm expecting major dissapointments from Hamilton, Simoni, Mayo, Vinokourov and Aitor Gonzalez (not to be mistaken with Alvaro Gonzalez).
Leipheimer was on this list until he left after the 1st stage.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wow, I had no idea how little I knew about cycling.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:09 PM   #7
Critch
lolzcat

I also know nothing about cycling, but I found this link pretty informative for the basics for the Tour de France.

Yet another sport I've started watching since playing a computer management game based on it..
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:19 PM   #8
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Wow, I had no idea how little I knew about cycling.
Not so long ago this quote would have been valid for soccer if I recall correctly...
Old 07-10-2003, 03:46 PM   #9
tucker342
Pro Starter

Hey Critch, thanks for the link, it really helped me understand the tour a little bit more
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

On a side note, I just read that the American who broke his collarbone is still racing. First Armstrong and now this guy? American cyclists got sack baby.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #11
Craptacular
College Starter

That would be Tyler Hamilton, one of Lance's former USPS teammates.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:00 PM   #12
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by MIJB#19
At this point, I'm expecting major dissapointments from Hamilton, Simoni, Mayo, Vinokourov and Aitor Gonzalez (not to be mistaken with Alvaro Gonzalez).

don't agree with vinokourov, agree with the rest, I would add Ullrich to the list.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Of course, when the battle for the Tour victory starts this weekend, we'll get to see the first glimps of who will finish high and who will not.

I'm not sure how much of a disappointment Hamilton will be. Considering he broke his collarbone, I think any expectations for him doing well have gone away.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:32 AM   #14
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BishopMVP
I'm not sure how much of a disappointment Hamilton will be. Considering he broke his collarbone, I think any expectations for him doing well have gone away.
I don't even understand how he can ride his bicycle...
Old 07-11-2003, 04:33 AM   #15
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alf
I don't even understand how he can ride his bicycle...
The Belgian commetators spoke with his team doctor.
It's been his own decission, the doctor advised him to leave after the first stage.

Hamilton's move doesn't make sense, he's won some big races already this year (Tour of Romandie, Liège-Bastogne-Liège) and should be back for better next year.
On the other end, he doesn't have the Tour history to be confident about his chances in Le Tour at all.

I understand from the people who can know that climbing with a broken collarbone is impossible.

That, and there is this story of a million(s) dollar deal with some filming crew who are following Hamilton throughout Le Tour...
Old 07-11-2003, 04:41 AM   #16
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by BreizhManu
don't agree with vinokourov, agree with the rest, I would add Ullrich to the list.
Vinokourov has had a season like Boogerd had in 1999.
Great victories (Paris-Nice, Amstel Gold Race), but I fear he won't have enough power left to come over the mountains within 2 minutes of the best climbers on a daily base.
Seeing Vinokourov attack the other day, that shows he's nothing more then a guy trying to win a stage and helpout Botero in the mountains.

Talking of Botero, he's got even a better climbers team then Armstrong has: Aerts, Nardello (twice 10th), Kessler, Klöden, Vinokourov, Guerini...

And then Ullrich...
I have no expectations at all.
The thing is, Ullrich made 5 starts and ended up 2nd in four of those. The fifth, of course, he was the winner in 1997.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:50 AM   #17
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
On a side note, I just read that the American who broke his collarbone is still racing. First Armstrong and now this guy? American cyclists got sack baby.
A broken collarbone is a very common injury in the cycling world.
It's hardly ever a career destroyer. At least for those who quit the race in time. Hamilton is putting his entire career in danger.

This kind of problems come back year after year.
It's become "normal" to see a favorite to finish in the top5 to 10 leave early due to injuries this way.
Alex Zülle (from Switzerland, twice 2nd) made a hobby out of it...
Old 07-11-2003, 09:13 AM   #18
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:

And then Ullrich...
I have no expectations at all.
The thing is, Ullrich made 5 starts and ended up 2nd in four of those. The fifth, of course, he was the winner in 1997.

He probably could have easily won his first tour in 1996 if he didn't have to ride for Riis. I know that's how things work in the sport, but his record could be even better. A win and four second-place finishes is pretty damn impressive though, and I expect him to challenge for a spot on the podium this year as well. Many of the commentators said that Ullrich basically pulled his Bianchi team through the team time trial and is looking very strong.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:15 AM   #19
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Critch

Yet another sport I've started watching since playing a computer management game based on it..

What game? I have doodled with Cycling Manager 3, and am wondering what other games are good.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:53 AM   #20
Critch
lolzcat

Cycling Manager series for me too.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 04:06 PM   #21
Craptacular
College Starter

Update:
*spoiler alert if anyone cares*

Ullrich completely dominated the time trial today, beating Armstrong (who still finished 2nd) by 1'36", and Jan now trails Lance by just 34 seconds. Vinokourov may have surprised a few people by taking 3rd (-2'06"), falling to just 51 seconds behind Armstrong in the GC. Tyler Hamilton is 4th at -2'59", and teammates Zubeldia and Mayo are tied for 5th at -4'29".

This is going to be one hell of a race to watch in the Pyrenees, and will likely come down to the final time trial. I'm rooting for Lance of course, but would love to see some classic battles with Jan, Alexandre, Tyler, and the rest.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:09 PM   #22
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

It's going to be close, I really hope Armstrong gets his 5th in a row.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #23
Alf
Pro Starter

The next 3 days, I'm going to be stuck in house watching Le Tour de France for The Pyrenees !

Thank you Ullrich for making this event a little bit more interesting.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:39 PM   #24
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

If Ullrich can beat Armstrong in the mountains, he deserves the yellow jersey. That said, I don't think he can. Nice effort in the TT today thugh. Shows he's on really good form.

For those that don't know, doing a TT and doing a mountain stage are just polar opposites. Except for the extremely rare, being world class at one, preculudes being world class at the other.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:43 AM   #25
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
It's going to be close, I really hope Armstrong gets his 5th in a row.
You follow cycling?
You sure have good taste for sports.

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown:
For those that don't know, doing a TT and doing a mountain stage are just polar opposites. Except for the extremely rare, being world class at one, preculudes being world class at the other.
I disagree there.
Especially in Le Tour, the top finishers in the long time trials will do well in mountain stages, though vice versa is far true.
So, if Christophe Moreau does not finish top 10 in an time trial, you know he will do terrible in the mountains.
Exceptions are true time trialists, who can't do anything else, like in the past Chris Boardman, Thierry Maire, and nowadays maybe David Millar (who does pretty well in the mountains thusfar) and the only pure time trialists I can think of in todays peleton are Uwe Peschel, Victor Hugo Peña, Bradley McGee, and to some degree Sergei Gontchar.

Ullrich's difference was 1m39sec, that is a huge margin, really huge.
I bet Armstrong is totally devastated and really fears Ullrich now.
Vinokourov lost just 51sec thusfar, which is to me a big surpirse (Vino' and Hamilton seem to be the only riders who can do well all year.)
Too bad Joseba Beloki is out, a quartet of good riders would be nice for a change...

Today and tomorrow we'll see who can really attack Armstrong.

FWIW, I'm watching right now and Gilberto Simoni shows up in the first group of attackers, interesting...
Old 07-19-2003, 05:34 AM   #26
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
and the only pure time trialists I can think of in todays peleton are Uwe Peschel, Victor Hugo Peña, Bradley McGee, and to some degree Sergei Gontchar.

add Cancellara and Bodrogi to that list
Old 07-19-2003, 09:33 AM   #27
Dutch
"Dutch"

What the heck does "de" in Tour de France mean? And why hasn't it been banned yet?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:50 AM   #28
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

MIJB, I do, Colorado is a hot-bed for cycling, both road and mountain.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #29
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I think I'll stand by my statement. Only the exceptionally rare can be world class in both TT's & mountain stages. Indurain dominated the TT's, and rode first/second group in the mountains. Boardman ripped up prologues, but couldn't climb a freeway overpass. Armstrong is notable because he can attack in the mountains and gain time in the mountains. Hinault coud do the same. Ullrich can do it in the TT, but again is a first/secound grouper in the mountains. Heras, Pantani, Virenque, all amazing cimbers, and all loose time in the TT's. (don't count Pantani's "special" season)

I'm saying that a guy who can make time in both the TT & mountains is exceptionally rare. I'm sticking with it.

I'm not a cycling historian or anything, but I think if you look at those names of guys who make time in both the TT & mountains, there's not a lot there. If they could, they would've won, obviously, the tour.

As far as effort goes, they're totally different animals. That, I know of first hand.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:04 AM   #30
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

err after viewing today's stage, I must admit I was wrong, Ullrich really impressed me and I think he'll be able to beat Armstrong.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:20 AM   #31
Ryan S
Quarterback

According to ESPN's website, Ullrich "finished seven seconds ahead of the race leader Armstrong, and earned a 12-second bonus as well"

Can anyone tell me what the bonus was for, and why cyclists get time bonuses?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:27 AM   #32
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

the first 3 of every stage (except time trials) earn a time bonus :

- 1st : 20 seconds
- 2nd : 12 seconds
- 3rd : 8 seconds

so here Sastre got 20 seconds, Ullrich 12 seconds and Zubeldia 8 seconds
Old 07-20-2003, 04:07 PM   #33
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
add Cancellara and Bodrogi to that list
Laszlo Bodrogi!
Exactly the guy I forgot to mention.

I guess I was very wrong on Vinokourov, like you were on Ullrich...

damnMikeBrown, (somehow that doesn't sound so nice)
I agree when you say there are very little who are world class climbers and time trialists in one.
Miguel Indurain and Jan Ullrich would fit that group very well. Just because you spare your energy doesn't make you a worse climber.

However, I stand by my point that most good time trialist can do well in mountain stages.
And thinking over recent history, I think it is fair to say that good cloimbers can do better then normal when their rankings are at stake. Any world class climber is able to do that.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:47 AM   #34
Craptacular
College Starter

As I'm following today's stage on the web, I can say that it looks like the great sportsmanship many of these riders show is evident. I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to watch later (and I can't wait to watch the stage late tonight), but my appreciation for these athletes just seems to grow and grow.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:08 AM   #35
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Today's Stage : Wow !
Old 07-21-2003, 10:22 AM   #36
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

He has always loved the Pyrenees.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:29 AM   #37
Alf
Pro Starter

Still, with only over 1 minute advantage, the final time trial will be delirious to watch !!!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #38
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Incredible performance today, and the sportsmanship is so impressive.

A question about the riders though (I have watched most of the 2003 Tour), it appeared that some of the riders were drinking from Coke cans. Why would a rider drink Coke in the middle of the race? Gatorade/Powerade/Water sure, but why Coke?
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:56 AM   #39
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

How can you fall during a stage & still manage to win. Unbelieveable.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:11 PM   #40
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I think when a race lasts for hours, making up several seconds or a minute from a fall is very doable.

The only thing that worries me is deliberate spectator interferance, esp. if the last stage means anything. It seems that the officials believe it comes with the territory and if it penalizes a rider, tough luck (like the jam earlier caused by a protest).
Old 07-21-2003, 12:30 PM   #41
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Now if they could figure out some way to combine the Tour and the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, that would be absolutely Awesome!!

Talk about your Ratings Winners... Who wouldn't want to check that out.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #42
tucker342
Pro Starter

I didn't watch it, but it sounds like Armstrong had a good day. Hopefully he does well in the time-trials....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:56 PM   #43
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kam

A question about the riders though (I have watched most of the 2003 Tour), it appeared that some of the riders were drinking from Coke cans. Why would a rider drink Coke in the middle of the race? Gatorade/Powerade/Water sure, but why Coke?

Coke is, and has been, a HUGE tour sponsor for many years. There are neutral support motorcycles that periodically make runs through the peloton with Coke labeled waterbottles. They contain, however, water.

As to why a rider would drink coke, well, when you're on a bike and it's 95+ degrees & you've got 2 more hours to go, you'll drink anything. The most critical element when you're on the bike is to stay hydrated & stay fed. Coke contains a simple sugar, is readly digestable, and easy to break down in the stomach. If a rider likes it, trains with it, then it's just as good as powerade or gatorade. It takes about 20 minutes for the glycogen to start hitting the blood stream. The muscles don't care if it's coke, gatorade, or swizzle sticks. It uses it to fire the muscle, which is being recruited to the tune of 90 pedal strokes per minute.

I've used it when I didn't have my normal training stuff, but always diluted it with water. Same for gatorade. That's another thing. Gatorade & other mixed type drinks can be unpredictable in their consistancy, causing dispepsia for a sensitive stomach.

It's all exacerbated by the fact that their body's are churning through calories like a bear feasting at a salmon run. The main challenge later in the tour, is just keeping the body flushed with fluids & fed enough to recover for the next day. Recovery begins on the bike, and calories help.

Anyway, yeah, Coke. It's not bad
Old 07-21-2003, 04:28 PM   #44
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

thanks DMB, that makes sense.

I knew about the water bottles, but he was actually drinking from a 16 ounce (or French equivalent) of Coke. All I could think of, was that as he searching for that extra little bit of energy to get him up the hill, all he can do is let out a huge carbonated burp.
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:50 PM   #45
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kam
All I could think of, was that as he searching for that extra little bit of energy to get him up the hill, all he can do is let out a huge carbonated burp.

Something coming out the other end might give him more of a boost.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:03 PM   #46
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Unless they pulled the coke from the crowd or a support bike, more than likely, it was already opened & is flat.

One of my fondest memories of a training ride. We were doing 5 hours in late Feb/early march. It was COLD & a bit wet. Snow on the ground, but the air was wet. At any rate, me & my training partner, we were on our way back, about 90 minutes from Oxford. We stopped at the traditional spot, a Shell gas station. The ladies in there were always really nice to us. They were the kind that would wave & be impressed by us, instead of flipping us off & blaring their horn as they passed us. . . Anyway, they're one of those gas stations that have Dunkin Doughnuts as well.

Well, they were restocking the dognuts as we walked in, completely wasted & tired. I piped up & asked if we could get a discount on the old dognuts. They were so sweet, they gave them all to us. Something like 3 dozen dognuts Me & my friend riding home after gorging on about 3-4 dognuts each, our jersey pockets filled with free pastries. It was a fun ride

When I lived in Hawaii & we'd ride around the island, sometimes we'd stop off at the North Shore, Pizza Bob's. Get a couple slices On the bike, whatever you like to eat & your stomach is comfortable with, is ok to eat. In heavy training or stage racing, the more you can pound on the bike, the better you'll be able to recover.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:10 PM   #47
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown

When I lived in Hawaii & we'd ride around the island, sometimes we'd stop off at the North Shore, Pizza Bob's. Get a couple slices On the bike, whatever you like to eat & your stomach is comfortable with, is ok to eat. In heavy training or stage racing, the more you can pound on the bike, the better you'll be able to recover.

In Haleiwa? Great place. I'm also partial to Colleen's on Maui.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:13 PM   #48
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Yup, the one in Haleiwa. You kind of have to know what your stomach can handle though. Right after Haleiwa is the 30 minute climb through the cane fields. It's not an easy climb on any day, but if you end up with a head wind & beating sun, well, you'd better hope you were taking care of yourself the previous 4 hours.

Last edited by damnMikeBrown : 07-21-2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:30 AM   #49
Craptacular
College Starter

Damn, I just finally saw the Armstrong crash on the late night OLN replay. I know he wasn't going too fast, but I'm a little surprised he wasn't hurt more. Again, great class shown by Ullrich, Hamilton, etc. Ullrich definitely repaid the favor Armstrong gave to him two years ago.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:34 AM   #50
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown
Well, they were restocking the dognuts as we walked in, completely wasted & tired. I piped up & asked if we could get a discount on the old dognuts. They were so sweet, they gave them all to us. Something like 3 dozen dognuts Me & my friend riding home after gorging on about 3-4 dognuts each, our jersey pockets filled with free pastries. It was a fun ride
I don't see how eating dog nuts could possibly be that fun, but to each his own.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote