Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Google Nexus/Chromebook devices.

Nexus 7 (8GB) - Google Play

Looks like Google is going to challenge the Kindle Fire for 7" supremacy. I'm pretty interested. 8gig/16gig are $199/$249. The unlocked Galaxy Nexus is also down to $349.

Last edited by stevew : 02-22-2013 at 05:27 PM.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Very nice. If I weren't upgrading my phone to the Galaxy S III, I would be interested in this as well. I don't see in the specs if the Nexus 7 has a micro SD slot to expand storage. Anyone know?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
BillJasper
Pro Starter

No camera?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Comey
College Starter

No offense, but who needs a camera on any tablet? I pretty much have a camera with me at all times, either my Sony or a phone...I don't get the use for it on a tablet.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
No offense, but who needs a camera on any tablet? I pretty much have a camera with me at all times, either my Sony or a phone...I don't get the use for it on a tablet.

Skype? Any Facetime equivalent?

I think there is a demand.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

1.2 MP front facing camera.

I don't see the point of the rear facing on a tablet, but the front for Skype is necessary.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They also announced something called the Nexus Q, but I'm honestly not sure what it even is. It's $299, and is similar to an apple TV type device, but way more expensive.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I wish tablets would focus on the front facing camera instead of the back one. That's the only one that really gets used I feel.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

from ZDNet

Google's Nexus Q takes on Microsoft, Apple in the living room
By Ed Bott | June 27, 2012, 7:35pm PDT

Summary: Google’s Nexus Q is expensive and odd-looking, and it doesn’t play well with devices outside of the Android world. It’s a pretty weak competitor to Microsoft’s Xbox 360, Apple TV, or even Sonos. Here’s what’s wrong.

The Nexus Q is certainly not for everyone’s taste. For starters, it’s … well, let’s call it distinctive in appearance. It is most certainly made to be seen as well as heard.

It’s also pricey, at $299 without speakers or cables, and it works only with Android devices.

Put those pieces together and you have to wonder whether Google is deliberately trying to limit the market for this product to diehard Google loyalists.

In the industrial design of its new media player, Google has broken out of the box, quite literally. The Nexus Q is a black orb, 4.6 inches in diameter, with a ring of 32 LEDs that “shift and change color in time to your music,” Google says. I guess that makes it a 21st Century lava lamp.

It also has its own 12.5 watt/channel amplifier and ports to connect to a living-room audio system or an HDTV. (If you want even more details, read the full specs.)

The odd thing about the Nexus Q is that it doesn’t include a remote control. Instead, you must control it with an Android phone or an Android tablet using the Google Play and YouTube apps for Android. Nothing else will work.

The new $199/$249 Nexus 7 tablets will fill that role quite nicely, but when you add in that cost you’re up to at least $500. Add in Google’s $300 Triad Bookshelf speakers and $49 speaker cables with banana plugs, plus sales tax, and your total is over a grand.

But hey, you can watch YouTube videos and stream your music collection on that setup.

These design and pricing decisions are very odd indeed.

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 already owns the living room, having sold roughly 70 million units. It has announced and demonstrated its Xbox SmartGlass controller app, which will “work with Windows 8 PCs and tablets, and iPads, iPhones, and Android devices.” At Amazon, the Xbox 360 with Kinect costs 5 bucks less than that odd-looking little Google orb.

Apple TV might still be a “hobby” in Cupertino, but at $99 it’s actually a great deal if you’re an Apple loyalist. You can use any iOS device, including iPhones and iPads, to push content to an Apple TV via AirPlay. Or you can buy music and stream TV shows directly from iTunes. It doesn’t have its own amplifier, like the Nexus Q, but if you already have a decent audio system it’s an easy addition. And you just know that someday, probably soon, Apple is going to deliver a big, big upgrade to Apple TV that will make Google’s offering instantly obsolete.

The Xbox 360 and Apple TV also have other advantages that the Nexus Q can’t match. You can run both boxes using a remote control or an app. They have access to impressively large ecosystems of content and apps (and games, in the case of the Xbox 360). With years of experience, Microsoft and Apple have mastered the supply-chain and manufacturing issues, unlike Google, which is a newcomer to the large-scale hardware business.

Google TV, of course, is the logical competitor to both Microsoft and Apple here, but it appears to have been left behind in favor of the newer, hotter Nexus Q.

In fact, the Nexus Q in its current incarnation looks like more of an answer to Sonos, which offers wireless audio systems that you can control with iPads and iPhones and Android devices and via apps on a PC or a Mac. The Sonos 3, which is the same price as the Nexus Q, includes a more-than-adequate speaker and appeals to all sorts of people who don’t want to be locked into an all-Android environment.

There’s no question that Google has created a pretty device in the Nexus Q. The fact that it’s made in the USA is admirable and justifies at least part of the premium price. But it’s hard to imagine that anyone but Android diehards will find it worth buying.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I do know that a lot of people are saying (online), this is why "made in America" doesn't work for electronics. Because it costs at least $100 more than if it was made in China.

The Nexus 7 Tablet looks super impressive though - esp for $200.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I do know that a lot of people are saying (online), this is why "made in America" doesn't work for electronics. Because it costs at least $100 more than if it was made in China.

The Nexus 7 Tablet looks super impressive though - esp for $200.

Huh? I don't understand the made in America comment. Apple's products are made in China just like everything else in the world.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nexus Q is made in America fully.

Did you think you stumbled in the Apple thread?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-28-2012 at 10:55 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Nexus Q is made in America fully.

Did you think you stumbled in the Apple thread?

No, I understood your comment differently.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think ZDnet is overrating Apple TV. It's a shitty user experience and you have content gaps between it and iTunes. Apple hasn't shown any ability to integrate its devices well. Maybe that'll change with the big big update they predict, but I'm skeptical.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It looks like Apple's attempt to ban the Galaxy Nexus is temporarily successful. I wish I knew more about patents...all this litigation seems stupid. I guess this fits nicely with the "my team needs to win at all costs" mentality we seem to be heading towards as a society. For now Team Apple has a big victory vs Team Android.

I do wonder sometimes how this stuff is even able to be patented. Especially when so much of it seems to be obvious extensions on existing products.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/3/313...n-denied-Apple

Last edited by stevew : 07-04-2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: link added
Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

The patent system needs to be updated or changed completely
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I do wonder sometimes how this stuff is even able to be patented.

The people who approve patents have no concept of software engineering...
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I think ZDnet is overrating Apple TV. It's a shitty user experience and you have content gaps between it and iTunes. Apple hasn't shown any ability to integrate its devices well. Maybe that'll change with the big big update they predict, but I'm skeptical.

I was intrigued enough by AppleTV to pick one up a couple of years back - its a fairly decent device and while the UI control is somewhat flaky/slow at times it does what it says on the tin well (ie. plays video and music which you've previously purchased on iTunes).

Personally, I'm expecting Apple to open it up to play App's (ala iPad streaming) on your HDTV in the next year or two, which is one of the reasons I wanted to become accustomed to it in advance ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Anyone grabbed one of these yet? I really like the concept of a cheaper tablet. Especially when I feel some of the stuff on an iPad is unnecessary like the rear camera. But my problem is that all these new tablets are so small. With phone screens getting bigger, there just doesn't feel like a big enough gap between the two. I wish someone would compete at the $300 pricepoint with one that is the same size as the iPad.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #20
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
I've got one - to be honest, I choose it over the iPad because I prefer the smaller screen. I can hold the tablet easily in one hand to read, surf the net, etc.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

How is it? I have an iPad 2 but was intrigued by this. Mainly for travel and shit.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #22
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
So far I like it - although I've only had it for a week.

Battery life has been excellent - I get about 10 hours of use.

I've been more used to Apple products, so that has taken some time to get used to. But after playing around for a bit it's just as easy to use. App store is smaller than Apple, but anything you want is probably still there.

Only issue I have is storage size - even 16 gig is a bit small if you want to store a couple movies on there for a trip. Google seems to be pushing the cloud computing but it doesn't work if you have limited internet access where you're going.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #23
Super Ugly
High School JV

I have one too, and I really like it. It won't be suitable for anyone who needs a lot of storage space or mobile connectivity, but personally I don't need any of that stuff. My only criticism is that the app store isn't so great for users based outside of the US, but I knew that when I bought the device.

I heard that Amazon might be revealing the Kindle Fire 2 in a week or so. Might be worth holding on until details emerge if you're undecided.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #24
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Mine is perfect size. There is an app that you don't have to jailbreak to use the USB. I have a 64gb stick with all my big files I can stream easily.

My only complaint is wifi only.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #25
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone grabbed one of these yet? I really like the concept of a cheaper tablet. Especially when I feel some of the stuff on an iPad is unnecessary like the rear camera. But my problem is that all these new tablets are so small. With phone screens getting bigger, there just doesn't feel like a big enough gap between the two. I wish someone would compete at the $300 pricepoint with one that is the same size as the iPad.

Ya, some of these tablets aren't all that much bigger than my DroidX2, which handles almost any website, and youtube, just fine. On the rare occasion I want to do a little work/type on the road, I have a cheap netbook. I'd love a 10 inch or bigger tablet, but it's hard to justify it really, it wouldn't add much to the smart phone/netbook combo except novelty as a toy. But there's really no reason at all for a smaller tablet, which would just be a somewhat bigger DroidX2 that you don't make calls on.

Last edited by molson : 09-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #26
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm thinking of picking one of these up - love my iPad, and that won't ever go away, probably, but for travel it would be nice to have a slightly smaller device, and it has a very nice price point.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #27
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Got this for my brother and he really likes it. Was pumped at how easy it was to sync with his phone. He hasn't used a larger tablet before though so maybe his view is skewed. I do think this size is better for someone who travels a lot like him.

ICS is great and if someone can get over the size and are not tied down to iTunes, I don't see why they wouldn't choose this.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #28
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Use mine more than desktop or laptop. Perfect size for me. Just need a data plan. Might even get Clear or something for it.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #29
Autumn
Head Coach

I think I'm getting one of these as a prize, looks like fun. Looking at reviews I see a lot of people finding they like this even better than their iPad for a lot of the basics. I've got an iPad2, so it will be interesting to see how I use this one differently.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Google just had a refresh of their Nexus 7 and also released a Nexus 4 (latest phone) and Nexus 10 which seems to squash the iPad in every spec.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The specs on that 10" tab are hot. Like 2500 x 1600 resolution and only 399. Also they're offering a new ChromeBook at $250

The 32gig Nexus7 with the ability to add a 3g sim at $299 is a really good price.

Last edited by stevew : 10-31-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So I'm looking at Nook HD vs iPad Mini vs Nexus 7 vs nook HD+ vs Fire HD for Xmas. The screens on the Nooks are amazing, but I'm skeptical of all the bloatware and the market is supposedly expensive. I would also like to see a Fire HD 8.9" before I decide. So many choices out there right now. I think I'm leaning towards the Nook HD+.

Last edited by stevew : 11-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #33
PilotMan
Head Coach

I went through the same decision and picked the Nexus 7. I just felt like it would have longer legs with the quad core and the higher resolution looks fantastic.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #34
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

My feeling is if you want to buy content through B&N or Amazon, get their respective device. If you are just looking for a general cheap tablet, Nexus is the best.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

As for iPad mini....if I was going to pay the Apple premium, I'd just spring for a full iPad I think.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
So I'm looking at Nook HD vs iPad Mini vs Nexus 7 vs nook HD+ vs Fire HD for Xmas. The screens on the Nooks are amazing, but I'm skeptical of all the bloatware and the market is supposedly expensive. I would also like to see a Fire HD 8.9" before I decide. So many choices out there right now. I think I'm leaning towards the Nook HD+.

Nook color was the best bargain in tablets when you could root it. I was not very impressed with the standard experience. Finding and Buying books is a zillion times easier using kindle apps. It really depends on what you want to primarily use it for.

Last edited by Desnudo : 11-24-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #37
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I just picked up the Nexus 7 over the weekend. I'm loving it so far, but I have yet to use it to its full potential. All I've been doing on it is reading ebooks and watching movies.

Are there any cool things I can do on this thing that I cannot or rather not do on my phone? Cuz so far, that's all it feels like to me... a $250 extension to what I already have.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #38
Subby
lolzcat

You can set it on fire and start crying. That's about it.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #39
Subby
lolzcat

I'm kidding. It's not flammable.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
gstelmack
Pro Starter

You'd rather watch movies on a 4" phone instead of a 7" tablet? Otherwise there are probably some strategy games that are better played on the larger tablet.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #41
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
You'd rather watch movies on a 4" phone instead of a 7" tablet?

Sorry, I must have phrased it wrong.

Aside from watching movies or reading, are there other cool things I can do on my tablet?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Saw that Google debuted the new Chromebook Pixel a few days ago. It looks really sleek, but the pricepoint of 1299/1449 is probably a DOA launching point. Does anyone have a Chromebook yet? I see that HP is launching a 14" one as well.

Google Chromebook Pixel (WiFi) - Google Play.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #43
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I mean, it looks cool. Nice screen, touchpad looks great, but it's running Chrome. To ask people to spend $1300 on something that is basically an internet browsing device is crazy..
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #44
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I mean, it looks cool. Nice screen, touchpad looks great, but it's running Chrome. To ask people to spend $1300 on something that is basically an internet browsing device is crazy..

This. If it wasn't running Chrome and I could say...run FM on it, or other things, then maybe...yeah.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #45
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
This. If it wasn't running Chrome and I could say...run FM on it, or other things, then maybe...yeah.

Yea, even if I wasn't a gamer, I couldn't use that as a laptop for school I don't think.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #46
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Does anyone have a Chromebook yet?

Just got one of these a month or so ago and like it so far except for the battery life compared to the original Samsung I had for a few years...that thing lasted for what seemed like an eternity!

We're a Google shop so just about everything I need is readily available on the Chromebook and we've even setup a Spark server to facilitate RDP requirements when needed. All in all, for the price we paid they are a steal and I love mine.

Would I pay for a Pixel? No way, Jose. But, at the same time, I have an iPad sitting at home that I probably couldn't find because I have no real use for a tablet so I'm probably not part of their target market and don't need the extra functionality of the touchscreen.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 02-22-2013 at 05:25 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #47
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Saw that Google debuted the new Chromebook Pixel a few days ago. It looks really sleek, but the pricepoint of 1299/1449 is probably a DOA launching point. Does anyone have a Chromebook yet? I see that HP is launching a 14" one as well.

Google Chromebook Pixel (WiFi) - Google Play.

That things crazy, who would buy that over a Mac or Windows laptop?

Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I started reading about it and was getting interested at the specs and was figuring it would be like 7-800 bucks max...then I saw the tag and felt like a part of Nathan Fillion just died.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #49
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I couldn't use that as a laptop for school I don't think.

Google Docs should suffice for your day to day needs as a student unless you have some specific app requirements, no?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #50
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Google docs is pretty awful, imho.