Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

Xbox Live and "Rock the Vote"

I'd heard about the partnership several days ago, but I noticed last night that it's been, at least partly, implemented.

At this point, you can download a campaign-sponsored gamerpic for either Senator Obama or Senator McCain, and you can opt-in to have a voter registration form emailed to you.

Middle of next month, you'll be able to vote in a "Presidential Poll" for your candidate of choice.

Now, I know there are a range of folks on Live, but I don't think it's really a complete cross-section of American society at this point. I have to think the kids/teens/young adults grossly outnumber the adults with a "real" job on Live, so I'd have to then draw the conclusion that the demographic on there is going to be pretty heavily tilted toward Senator Obama.

What do you folks figure the breakdown would be on the gamerpic downloads and/or on the "Presidential Poll" results next month?

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

85% Obama.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

What's the point in doing this sort of thing on Xbox Live? Maybe the Dems get a few more registered voters but I think this has an incredibly limited scope to begin with.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
What's the point in doing this sort of thing on Xbox Live? Maybe the Dems get a few more registered voters but I think this has an incredibly limited scope to begin with.

Why not try and reach a few million potential voters though? I doubt it to cost all that much for them to implement.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

That was my thought.

Number one, it's mostly going to be a young voter outreach, and I would venture to say that young voters excited enough about Obama's campaign to register to vote in the first place maybe already have.

Number two, it's not like the gamerpic is going to get all that great a viewing audience among undecideds or wavering McCain supporters. There's going to be a lot of choir-preaching going on.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

So is your problem that they're doing it, or that you feel it's going to be tilted toward Obama?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

I don't have a problem with it in the classical sense.

It doesn't offend me, they can knock themselves out (and frankly, I'm more likely to vote Obama than McCain right now).

It just seems...pointless. You've got a youthful demographic, a candidate who already has done a very good job with the youth outreach, and so any effect that this is going to have seems superfluous.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

Most youth outreach seems pointless to non-youth.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So is your problem that they're doing it, or that you feel it's going to be tilted toward Obama?

I don't really have a problem with them doing it, I just think it's pretty limited in its scope and appeal.