Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Fantasy Scoring 23 years and counting.

It has come to my attention that my fantasy league has a markedly different scoring structure, and I'm curious what you all think about how this affects team composition and draft strategy.

We've been doing this for twenty-three years, and really haven't changed too many things.

Passing 1 pt /20 yards, 7 pts/td, int -3
Rushing 1 pt/10 yds, 7pts/td
Receiving 1 pt/10 yds, 7pts/td
Kicking 3 pts <=40, 4 pts 41-49, 6 pts 50+... no penalties for misses
Individual Defence; tackle 2 pts, assist 1 pt, int 5 pts, TD 7pts, Safety 5 pts

We play 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, PK, DL, LB, DB
There are equal numbers of each position on the bench.

I've got a pretty good feel for how this shapes our league, I'm just wondering what you guys think of the system, and what strategies you would go for.

Oh by the way there are 32 teams...4 divisions of 8 teams (each with their own draft set). The divisions do not play each other until the playoffs. FWIW I won in years 3 and 4, but have only done as well as second since..three times.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 08-25-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'd like to commend you on lasting 23 years with fantasy football, not to mention all with one league. After 15 years of fantasy football, I was about ready to strangle myself, so I quit playing. Good show.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
FF
Mascot

Is this a local league? That's huge.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

A bunch of my friends and I started years ago. It grew to friends of friends and the like. Some folks come and go, but there is a core of sixteen of us. Twelve of us have had a keeper league, same scoring system, for close to ten years.

We have a trophy, each year's winner etched in order. The winner keeps it for a year. It is proudly displayed. It picked up a name two years ago. The Dennis Fitzpatrick trophy. Named for a beloved coach, mentor, and friend that passed away after twenty years of participation. His son took over his team.

I do hear you about the game losing some interest. It used to consume me, but then I got married, grew into a profession, and had children. I don't have near the time to invest, but taking the league to the internet is something that I think will really help us keep it going. It is a lot easier to stay on top of who is available, and simply managing the roster.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Is this a local league? That's huge.

Strictly local. A few of the core group have moved away. One flies in every year for the draft, others drive a hundred plus miles each year. We have two big get togethers, the draft, and then an end of year banquet to present the trophy.

It grew from one division to four over the first four years.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I hope the league I run can grow to that some day, but I won't hold me breath. It's hard to keep people together like that, so that is pretty awesome.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
A bunch of my friends and I started years ago. It grew to friends of friends and the like. Some folks come and go, but there is a core of sixteen of us. Twelve of us have had a keeper league, same scoring system, for close to ten years.

We have a trophy, each year's winner etched in order. The winner keeps it for a year. It is proudly displayed. It picked up a name two years ago. The Dennis Fitzpatrick trophy. Named for a beloved coach, mentor, and friend that passed away after twenty years of participation. His son took over his team.

I do hear you about the game losing some interest. It used to consume me, but then I got married, grew into a profession, and had children. I don't have near the time to invest, but taking the league to the internet is something that I think will really help us keep it going. It is a lot easier to stay on top of who is available, and simply managing the roster.

Really neat story. I read this and thought "23 years?! wow.."
Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

In our league, one guy tanked in 06 because he loved Adrian Peterson. There is nothing expressly in our rules about tanking, so he was ok there, but everyone was steamed. Since he had first overall, he got Peterson, and won the championship.
The previous champ is responsible for getting the trophy updated. So to get revenge for everyone, he had a plaque made for the 07 champs.

Owner "D-Bag" Name
Team Name
FUCKING CHEATER

It was wonderful!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
chesapeake
College Starter

Your league -- like most FFLs -- overemphasizes the performance of QBs. 200 passing yards = 100 rushing yards; Passing TD = Rush TD = Receiving TD. Empirically, an average QB will score better than all but the very best RBs, and only 2-3 WRs will ever have a comparative impact.

In my own league, we try to bring some balance by changing the QB numbers to 30 yd=1 pt (making a 300 yd day = 100 yds rush/rcv) and each passing TD=3pts with rush/rcv TDs=6.

The only other significant difference in scoring is that my league gives a couple of points for scoring on big plays.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

QB is the most important position on the field, it should be the same in fantasy. And I love that you have individual defense.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

i love the smell of your fantasy league.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
QB is the most important position on the field, it should be the same in fantasy. And I love that you have individual defense.

And even though it scores the "most points", it's not really far and away the most important - QBs are pretty consistent, there's not a huge difference between them, and they're not as huge an injury/bust/benching risk as RBs.

My big problem with Fantasy Football has always been that up to 17-18 of the first 20 players drafted are always RBs. That's the whole game - find RBs that will start. I wish QBs were more important.

Great story about the league - so many stories about great things eroded by marriage/jobs/kids. I know the latter are great things too, but maybe we need more balance.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
In our league, one guy tanked in 06 because he loved Adrian Peterson. There is nothing expressly in our rules about tanking, so he was ok there, but everyone was steamed. Since he had first overall, he got Peterson, and won the championship.
The previous champ is responsible for getting the trophy updated. So to get revenge for everyone, he had a plaque made for the 07 champs.

Owner "D-Bag" Name
Team Name
FUCKING CHEATER

It was wonderful!

That is amazing.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Your league -- like most FFLs -- overemphasizes the performance of QBs. 200 passing yards = 100 rushing yards; Passing TD = Rush TD = Receiving TD. Empirically, an average QB will score better than all but the very best RBs, and only 2-3 WRs will ever have a comparative impact.

In my own league, we try to bring some balance by changing the QB numbers to 30 yd=1 pt (making a 300 yd day = 100 yds rush/rcv) and each passing TD=3pts with rush/rcv TDs=6.

The only other significant difference in scoring is that my league gives a couple of points for scoring on big plays.

This is what I was looking for. The big differences with our league and others is the seven points for a touchdown, pretty much however you are involved in the score. That and the tackles. Defensive players can easilly be the biggest scorers on your team.

We've made a handfull of changes over the years. Back in the beginning we gave points to kick and punt returners for special teams. Something on the line of 1 point per 5 yards(punts) 1/10 for kick offs. Back in those days JoJo Townsell returned a punt 9? yards for a touchdown on Monday night, that reversed the sound beating that I had applied to my roommate.

That is actually one of the funnest things about Fantasy Football. I remember so many specific events.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That is actually one of the funnest things about Fantasy Football. I remember so many specific events.

The Jennings 82 yard TD catch last year on the final play of the game will always have a special place in my heart.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
It has come to my attention that my fantasy league has a markedly different scoring structure, and I'm curious what you all think about how this affects team composition and draft strategy.

We've been doing this for twenty-three years, and really haven't changed too many things.

Passing 1 pt /20 yards, 7 pts/td, int -3
Rushing 1 pt/10 yds, 7pts/td
Receiving 1 pt/10 yds, 7pts/td
Kicking 3 pts <=40, 4 pts 41-49, 6 pts 50+... no penalties for misses
Individual Defence; tackle 2 pts, assist 1 pt, int 5 pts, TD 7pts, Safety 5 pts

We play 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, PK, DL, LB, DB
There are equal numbers of each position on the bench.

I've got a pretty good feel for how this shapes our league, I'm just wondering what you guys think of the system, and what strategies you would go for.

Oh by the way there are 32 teams...4 divisions of 8 teams (each with their own draft set). The divisions do not play each other until the playoffs. FWIW I won in years 3 and 4, but have only done as well as second since..three times.

Congrats. Ours has been going since 1991 and has usually been 16 teams. Ever considered 2 conferences of 16 teams?

For me, an 8 team league leaves talent readily available to "tourists" who don't need to pay much attention to field a good team. I'd rather have grognards who are digging out who the 3rd WR on Denver is, and agonizing on whether to take Brady knowing the best RB when they get back around will be Selvin Young, and I just LOVE the look on that rookie owner's face when he shows up at the draft with a cheatsheet he tore out of a magazine and finds out that he's already crossed off everyone on it by round 8.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I've never understood why a safety in some leagues are awarded anything more than 2 points. They don't happen that often and to award bonus points is about the equivalent of saying a TD on a reverse is worth 10 pts. I was in one league where a safety was worth 10 points which was teh suck.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #18
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I've never understood why a safety in some leagues are awarded anything more than 2 points. They don't happen that often and to award bonus points is about the equivalent of saying a TD on a reverse is worth 10 pts. I was in one league where a safety was worth 10 points which was teh suck.

On the safety, we figured that it needed to be rewarded at least as much as an interception. If you get a safety on the QB...you get sack points as well.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #19
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Congrats. Ours has been going since 1991 and has usually been 16 teams. Ever considered 2 conferences of 16 teams?

For me, an 8 team league leaves talent readily available to "tourists" who don't need to pay much attention to field a good team. I'd rather have grognards who are digging out who the 3rd WR on Denver is, and agonizing on whether to take Brady knowing the best RB when they get back around will be Selvin Young, and I just LOVE the look on that rookie owner's face when he shows up at the draft with a cheatsheet he tore out of a magazine and finds out that he's already crossed off everyone on it by round 8.

We did the eight team league to make the league more accessible to newcomers.

I've never done a league with more than twelve. That would be pretty tough. Selvin Young shudder
Old 08-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #20
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
We did the eight team league to make the league more accessible to newcomers.

I've never done a league with more than twelve. That would be pretty tough. Selvin Young shudder

How often do you get similar teams meeting in the playoffs? I mean, the L.T. from the North going against the L.T. from the South? Peyton East meeting Peyton West?

Do you guys all get together for one giant draft or do 4 seperate? Four seperate days?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote