Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
kingfc22
Head Coach

Bonds Not Returning This Season

Bonds: Don't expect me this season
08/01/2005 5:50 PM ET By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

Heeding the advice of the Los Angeles doctors who have been overseeing rehabilitation on his right knee for the past six weeks, San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds told MLB.com on Monday that he does not foresee playing again this season. Bonds had been hoping that he'd return to the field sometime in September, especially if the Giants remain in the National League West race. But he said a recent MRI showed he's still slightly building fluid in a knee that has been scoped three times since Jan. 31, causing intermittent swelling.

"I don't think you're going to see me out there this year," Bonds said during a telephone interview. "That's the reality of the situation. I'm improving. I'm happy with the progress. I'm working out hard on the exercise bike and the elliptical machine, but I'm just not there yet. The last thing I want is to get back on the field and be out again a week later.

"The doctors say it's wise for me to work out hard this winter and be ready to go next season. I want to be out there and play the whole year."

Bonds said he doesn't consider this to be a setback. He had hoped for recovery too quickly, considering the fact that he's had three surgeries in succession during a four-month period: Jan. 31, March 17 and May 2. The first two were to shave meniscus from the arthritic knee. The last eradicated a serious bacterial infection that put his leg in jeopardy.

He has responded to therapy, but evidently not quickly enough for him to return to field this season. At 41 years old, he will have missed an entire season for the first time in his 20-year big-league career.

"I'm just going to listen to what the doctors tell me," Bonds said. "The doctors are telling me to let it heal, so I'm going to let it heal."

Bonds has been rehabbing his knee at the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic on the west side of Los Angeles under the care of physical therapist Clive Brewster and Angels orthopedist Dr. Lewis Yocum since June 24. He hasn't been with the team since then.

Bonds said last month that there is "no doubt in my mind whatsoever" that he will return to fulfill the last year of his contract in 2006. The Giants guaranteed that portion of his deal for $18 million late last season after Bonds became the third player in Major League history to hit his 700th homer.

He reiterated that position Monday.

"That's what my goal is right now and I expect to be ready," he said. "But the doctors are telling me playing this year might put that in jeopardy, that I could undo any gains I've already made. No matter how much I want to play, I'm not going to let that happen."

Bonds hasn't played since the final game of the 2004 season, having ended the year with 703 homers, 11 behind Babe Ruth's 714 and 52 behind Hank Aaron's 755. He worked out on the field at Scottsdale Stadium during Spring Training and took several rounds of batting practice before succumbing to more knee surgery. Aside from playing a little soft toss at SBC Park, he hasn't been back on the field since.

Bonds said he traveled to San Francisco last week and was administered the MRI by Dr. Arthur Ting, the presiding surgeon on each of his recent knee procedures. Bonds said the swelling in the knee fluctuates.

"It can be fine when I'm working out," he said. "Then I don't work out, wake up in the morning and my knee is swollen again. The doctors tell me it's all normal stuff for someone who has had three surgeries on the same knee in such a short period of time."

The Giants, meanwhile, are clinging to the division race, 5 1/2 games behind the Diamondbacks and Padres, even though they are 14 games under .500 with 58 games left to play.

Bonds said it is frustrating to sit on the sideline while the team for which he has played since 1993 tries desperately to hang in contention.

"I know I could help if I was out there," he said. "This is my life. This is my career -- on the baseball field. But right now, I can't help and it's killing me."

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

big shock...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Oh no! Who are the kids going to look up to now?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Might as well juice if he isnt going to play this year

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
"I'm just going to listen to what the doctors tell me," Bonds said. "The doctors are telling me to let it heal, so I'm going to let it heal."

"The doctors are also telling me that I will be tested positive for steroids, so I'm not going to risk getting caught."
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

Heeding the advice of the Los Angeles doctors
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
This is news to a five year old.....

tomorrow morning.

maybe some more hits then....
Old 08-01-2005, 11:36 PM   #8
Fouts
College Starter

And 100 reporters are still out of a job... Maybe they can hound Raffy now.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #9
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

No coincidence he says this on the same day Raffy got suspended. Here's what he really meant to say:

"Ah, I see that they're serious about this steroid stuff now that they suspended a big-name player. I had better lay low for awhile."

Also, what do the following players have in common?

Raffy Palmeiro, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Jason Giambi, Andruw Jones, Troy Glaus.

XXV.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #10
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
"The doctors are also telling me that I will be tested positive for steroids, so I'm not going to risk getting caught."

LMAO. Have I ever mentioned I HATE Barry Bonds?! Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
No coincidence he says this on the same day Raffy got suspended. Here's what he really meant to say:

"Ah, I see that they're serious about this steroid stuff now that they suspended a big-name player. I had better lay low for awhile."

Raffy Palmeiro, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Jason Giambi, Andruw Jones, Troy Glaus.

XXV.

They know Roman numerals? Or knowing this group, not knowing their Roman numerals?

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 08-02-2005 at 10:49 AM.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

"I'll be back when my trainers figure out how to beat the current testing."
Old 08-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #13
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer

Is he actually excused from steriod testing while injured?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

XXV.

Who are players that have never been in my kitchen?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm not sure, but didn't Bonds opt out of the players' association a few years ago when he decided he could make more money on his own? Does that change things for him?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #16
Blackadar
Retired

Does anyone else think that Bonds is on "Secret Probation", meaning that Selig has ordered him to stay away for a year for his part in the 'roids scandal? But that the problems with trying to formally suspend him - and the inevitable appeals, the national outcry and the damage to baseball as a while - has led to this "lingering" injury?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #17
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Does anyone else think that Bonds is on "Secret Probation", meaning that Selig has ordered him to stay away for a year for his part in the 'roids scandal? But that the problems with trying to formally suspend him - and the inevitable appeals, the national outcry and the damage to baseball as a while - has led to this "lingering" injury?

No.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

No. I think Bonds would have just retired if that had happened.

Plus, I'm not sure the Giants and/or their insurers would have been too excited to pay his salary for the year.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I'm not sure, but didn't Bonds opt out of the players' association a few years ago when he decided he could make more money on his own? Does that change things for him?

Probably not. For all this ripping on Bonds that he's doing this because he doesn't want to test positive, I'm sure that they are testing him this season even when on the DL. Because he still is a major league player.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-02-2005 at 12:39 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

DOUBLE Secret Probation probably.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #21
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

Yep - this is the baseball version of the Michael Jordan "retirement," which was really a 1-year suspension for gambling.

And he wouldn't just retire, considering how close he is to Ruth and Aaron.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-02-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #22
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bonds will be an Angel next year I think...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #23
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I would have guessed that Bonds is not tested because of the toxic after-affects of major surgery.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #24
oykib
College Starter

Quote:

I've been thinking the same thing.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote