Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2003, 12:48 PM   #1
bryce
High School Varsity

OT: NFL Playoff Structure

How does the NFL structure its playoffs - is it a strict bracket, or is it flexible depending on which seed wins - in other words, does the NFL reseed after the wildcard games to force the #1 seed to play the worst remaining seed, and hte #2 seed to play the other 'middle' seed? Or does the 1 seed play the winner of the 4-5 game no matter what, and the 2 seed play the 3-6 winner?

I could have sworn it was the latter and set, but a buddy of mine is convinced it's flex like hockey does its reseeding every round.

bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Your buddy is right, I believe.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:52 PM   #3
Two Thirds Rectal Trout
n00b

Yes. The NFL reseeds.
Two Thirds Rectal Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Do the wildcards automatically get the 5 and 6 seeds? For example, if the Colts get a wildcard spot at 12-4, would they be seeded behind the AFC North winner?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:57 PM   #5
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Do the wildcards automatically get the 5 and 6 seeds? For example, if the Colts get a wildcard spot at 12-4, would they be seeded behind the AFC North winner?

yes, the division winners get seeds 1-4, me thinks.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:03 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bryce
yes, the division winners get seeds 1-4, me thinks.

correct. the wild cards are locked in at #5 and #6. This also means that the only way a wildcard could play a home game would be a #6 @ #5 conference championship game.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:04 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

And all this will become something to bitch about this year when you have a wild card team with a damn good record going to play AT the AFC or NFC North division winners who will be 9-7 or even 8-8 at this rate.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:11 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cringer
And all this will become something to bitch about this year when you have a wild card team with a damn good record going to play AT the AFC or NFC North division winners who will be 9-7 or even 8-8 at this rate.

Well, one of them is going to get an 8th win next week, so I don't think 10-6 is out of the question. Obviously some years a wild card team will get screwed, or an obviously inferior division winner will get a home game. But ultimately, if a wild card team is a significantly better team, they'll win in the playoffs.

I think the NFL system is about as good as it could be. Although I might have prefered a 6-5-5 division setup in each conference, keeping 3 wild card teams.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:13 PM   #9
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

it's only a matter of time before they go to 4 wild cards anyways with 4 games the 1st week of playoffs.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote