Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

My Draft Day Anguish (Advice Needed)

I don't know what to do...

The Jaguars are my favorite professional sports team by far. I *love* them. Jerseys, my office is decked out in Jag-paraphenalia, a dozen Jag shirts, Jags cups, and so forth. Last year, for our staff picture, I wore a Jaguars Hawaiin shirt with a blue blazer - that's how much I love the team.

The Jaguars selected, with their 7th round draft pick, a CB from Eastern Michigan. This is great right? My favorite team drafts someone from the school that I work at! Amazing! There are so few EMU players in the league, that we should all be happy. Especially since this guy used to be one of my residents. I can say that one of my residents is now on my favorite team!

Except this particular resident was bad news. A real arrogant jerk who crossed my path for work reasons and significantly, as well. I can't go into details, obviously, but trust me when I say that if the Jags knew what I know, they'd have given this guy a majorly wide berth. This guy makes Maurice Clarrett look like Tom Brady.

And now I'm sunk. I know personal things about Randy Moss from living just a few miles away. I know he hit his girlfriend in HS, for example, because I dated a co-worker of hers and she told me about the injuries. I know he has one testicle. I know some of the major trouble that he *should* have gotten into at Marshall, only the law and the Univ let it slide because he was such a talent. So, I really dislike Randy Moss, because of all the bad stuff he's done, much of it I know about personally.

The only other player in the NFL that I know stuff about is this new guy. And now he is on my absolute favorite team of all time. What do I do now?

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wait a second...backup. Randy Moss only has one teste?? Where'd you hear that?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It was precancerous, but had a growth, so they removed it. I call him Ol' One Ball.

-Anxiety

Old 04-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

how'd you find that out? is it common knowledge or something?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Not nationally, but locally its pretty common knowledge. It was never a secret, it was just pre-NFL.

-Anxiety

Old 04-24-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Must... resist urge... to type... "Rany Moss one testicle"... into Google...
Old 04-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #7
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Hes a 7th round pick he probably wont even make the team.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wow really? That sucks. Someone should beat the crap out of him sometime soon... karma and all. Or maybe the one nut was the start of karma, and it never got finished?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Also Anxiety I think its a bit much to assume everyone on your beloved Jaguars will be a class act. Im sure there alot of things players on that team have done that you dont know about that would turn you off. Thats true for most people in this world.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #10
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
... What do I do now? ...

Why don't you try paying attention to football instead of testicals and soap opera drama? I mean, who the fuck cares about the personality of your 7th round pick.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

^^^I wanted to say that but I went more subtle
Old 04-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #12
SunDevil
College Prospect

Subtle is word without a definition on this board.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:39 AM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Every time a player with poor character is selected, someone else is not. There are plenty of long shots available in the 7th round, so why take a risk on a high character risk? Why not reward some hard worker or overacheiever who is more likely to work hard and try to get tot he next level. Don't get me wrong, I hope that bad character players like Moss and this guy do well, I hope that they have matured, I wish their teams well, but I can't cheer for them either.

How often do character risk guys pan out with their potential? Not nearly as much as people might think. Sure, there are a bunch with an already high amount of talent that keep that talent (like Moss), but most of the late round surprises, the players that pan out, are the high character guys. As such, I feel that the Jags wasted a pick, and now they have a player that I simply can't root for.

-Anxiety

Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 AM   #14
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Maybe he's not so bad--maybe he just thought you were a dick because he heard that you spread completely unsubstantiated rumors about football players.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #15
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

dola,

Or maybe he was just aloof because he thought you took a creepy amount of interest in the personal lives of athletes.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
I don't know what to do...

The Jaguars are my favorite professional sports team by far. I *love* them. Jerseys, my office is decked out in Jag-paraphenalia, a dozen Jag shirts, Jags cups, and so forth. Last year, for our staff picture, I wore a Jaguars Hawaiin shirt with a blue blazer - that's how much I love the team.

The Jaguars selected, with their 7th round draft pick, a CB from Eastern Michigan. This is great right? My favorite team drafts someone from the school that I work at! Amazing! There are so few EMU players in the league, that we should all be happy. Especially since this guy used to be one of my residents. I can say that one of my residents is now on my favorite team!

Except this particular resident was bad news. A real arrogant jerk who crossed my path for work reasons and significantly, as well. I can't go into details, obviously, but trust me when I say that if the Jags knew what I know, they'd have given this guy a majorly wide berth. This guy makes Maurice Clarrett look like Tom Brady.

And now I'm sunk. I know personal things about Randy Moss from living just a few miles away. I know he hit his girlfriend in HS, for example, because I dated a co-worker of hers and she told me about the injuries. I know he has one testicle. I know some of the major trouble that he *should* have gotten into at Marshall, only the law and the Univ let it slide because he was such a talent. So, I really dislike Randy Moss, because of all the bad stuff he's done, much of it I know about personally.

The only other player in the NFL that I know stuff about is this new guy. And now he is on my absolute favorite team of all time. What do I do now?

-Anxiety

This Eastern Michigan guy sounds like bad news. So give up your love for the Jags and become a Lions fan. They are the home team. Ford Field is pretty close. Go for it! Lions Nation welcomes you with open arms.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
This Eastern Michigan guy sounds like bad news. So give up your love for the Jags and become a Lions fan. They are the home team. Ford Field is pretty close. Go for it! Lions Nation welcomes you with open arms.

Heh, perhaps. Maybe just for now, until I see if this guy even makes the roster...

As for ThunderingHerd, first of all, I have been very discreet. I've not hinted at what he has done, I've not mentioned his name (although anybody could look it up, I doubt most here would care to), I've just simply said that he crossed my path for *work* reasons. Unless you know my job and my responsibilities, how can you say I'm taking a "creepy" amount of interest, or that it is in his "personal" life (niether of which are true, by the way).

(Note - the following example is extreme and does not necessarily reflect the issue at hand. It it not meant to be symbolic or anything) Suppose that I am a public defender, and I publicly defend a rapist, get him off on a technicality, then that rapist is courted and signs with West Virginia University as a Juco trasnfer to their football team. You'd hardly call it a "creepy" interest in the player or that it was an interest is his "private" life, now would you?

Like I said, I hope that the guy has matured, I hope his life is straight, I hope good things for him. But my favorite team has drafted a complete prick, and I find that to be an interested dilemma. All I'm doing is pointing that dilemma out.

-Anxiety

Old 04-25-2005, 11:15 AM   #18
wade moore
lolzcat

On another note Anxiety...

I'd be real happy about WR Mathis picked in the 4th round...

We saw him in I-AA playoff play and the guy can RUN....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:45 PM   #19
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Excellent, thanks! I'm really uncertain about the whole Matt Jones pick, so it's nice to hear good things. Ernest Wilford, a 4th round WR last year had a better rookie campaign than highly touted Reggie Williams, our 9th overall pick.

-Anxiety

Old 04-25-2005, 03:03 PM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

I was not crazy about the Jones pick that high, but I think getting Barnes in the 2nd makes it much easier to digest for the Jags. I think both of those guys are first round talent (although Jones at #21 just seemed too high to me). Having a sum of Jones and Barnes for your first two picks should make you happy.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote