Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
model359
n00b

Question FOF TCY stratagy

I purchased the TCY a few months back but had not had the time to really get into it. My reason for buying it is so I can use it to import the draft players into my 2001 version. I know nothing about college football and I am completely lost with this game. Unlike FOF where I dove it and picked it up rather quickly, I am having troubles doing that here.

Just basic things is what I am looking for. The way to recruit... does and don'ts and stuff like that.

Does anyone have a link to a stratagy guide or can lend a hand that would be great.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

model359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:15 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

Welcome to the board.

We had a nice "journal" of FOF/TCY on the old board (Jan 2003 and earlier), but I don't know if that made it over here.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:18 PM   #3
vex
Grizzled Veteran

WOW, now that's impressive.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:24 PM   #4
Craptacular
College Starter

http://www.sportplanet.com/fof/journal.html

Try going to that page, then scroll down to The College Years section. Most of the links are to threads on the old board, so some of them may not work. However, it can provide a good start.

As far as recruiting, in general, the best way to get good recruits is to get your academic rankings up. The "fit" score seems to be the best indicator of whether or not a recruit will come to your school. There's certainly a lot more to it than that, but to me, those are the two most important things to know.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:26 PM   #5
model359
n00b

Great, I will check it out and see how I do.

I am thinking about version 4..

I have the original on CD, FOF 2, FOF 2001, and now the TCY.

Is version 4 worth buying over FOF2001?
model359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Don't be afraid to bribe 2 or 3 top prospects a year... good QB's and RB's will help you win, establish a solid reputation, and be able to more easily recruit top prospects later.

That said, the over-emphasis on recruiting and the weekly micromanagement it required was always a bit of a pain, if you asked me.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:35 PM   #7
Vince
Pro Starter

Anyone have a link to the old boards? I can't find mine...and I might be able to re-post my one meaningful post to the board on my TCY Recruiting strategy.

Basically, if you want to have a successful program, your academics need to be good. However, this can kill the realism for the game, because as long as you promote and continue solid academics through the first 5-10 years of your dynasty, your academics will change very little, and it makes recruiting ridiculously easy. Unlike real college football (which Jim has not attempted to emulate, so this is not a bug or flaw), there is a proportionate number of recruits who pick their college largely based upon Academic performance...therefore with solid academic marks at your college, you can have a real shot at some of the top blue chip recruits every year, even if you are playing as San Jose State or some similarly terrible football school.

Ok, I worded that kind of poorly...if you look, each recruit has two of three possible preferences:
1A) Distance (I want to go to school as close to home as possible).
1B) Negative Distance (I want to go to school as far from home as possible).
2) Prestige (I want to go to Michigan, Ohio State, the like).
3) Academics (I want to get a meaningful college degree from a school that is good at my major)

Each year, when recruits are generated, there is a roughly even distribution of recruits who value each of these things...so you'll have just about as many kids who have 'Academics' as their top choice as you do kids who have 'Prestige.' Now, this is not to say that those without the Prestige designation don't look at prestige...all three factor into every recruit's decision...therefore an Academic/Distance recruit looking at Michigan (lets say 80 Academic/80 Prestige) and Northwestern (lets say 80 Academic/70 Prestige), and who is roughly the same distance from both schools, would probably choose Michigan because of the higher prestige. However, the first listed priority of a recruit is by far the most important.

Ok, I'm going to stop here, because this is more suited for the Strategy section, but if you want any more pointers, feel free to ask...I like to talk And I think it's safe to say I'm pretty decent at TCY...I was 3rd in the TCY Challenge DevaneyFan hosted last fall before I had to drop late in the game due to a lack of time.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:40 PM   #8
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Anyone have a link to the old boards?

I used http://www.sportplanet.com/fof/board/
Old 04-30-2003, 04:49 PM   #9
Vince
Pro Starter

Thanks C-Tac.

EDIT: Here's the link to that discussion on recruiting I was talking about. Hope that helps!
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 04-30-2003 at 04:56 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:56 PM   #10
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by model359

Is version 4 worth buying over FOF2001?

Yes
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote