Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
HornsManiac

Arrow HornsManiac Jr. - help you "Dads"

This morning while lying in bed trying to build up the urge to get in the shower and come to work an observation popped into my head. I looked over at my wife, who was sitting at her make-up desk trying to make her curling iron heat up faster, and asked her what had happened to this month's time of the month. It seems this month's time of the month is running late. My wife has a routine appointment with her OB/GYN next week already scheduled, so we are just going to let her doctor do the test then. I must say that becoming a Daddy was not one of my New Year's Resolutions, but she has wanted a baby for almost two years. I guess things could be worse, so I am sure I will adjust to it.

Okay, now I need some advice from you Dads who became Dads just a little sooner than you were expecting. Was the adjustment a tough one?

Thanks, HornsManiac

Old 04-28-2003, 03:03 PM   #2
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

Not for me, but it was profound. The birth of my child was the single most incredible event in my life. Congrats!
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:04 PM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Horns, you said on another board that you were "single again."

In any case, congrats.

Last edited by Fritz : 04-28-2003 at 03:05 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:07 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

Eh... once you get over the financial shock that comes with having a kid, it's not so bad.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:09 PM   #5
Samdari
Roster Filler

I hereby resign my citizenship in society.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:10 PM   #6
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Just reading this thread makes me feel dirty. I need to go take a shower.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:11 PM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Congrats, Horns!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:16 PM   #8
FBPro
College Starter

It was different, however I can think of few things that I have enjoyed more and have gotten more pleasure out of than being a "dad", I have 2 teenage boys BTW.

PS-Just moved to "Division 1" with this post
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025

Last edited by FBPro : 04-28-2003 at 03:16 PM.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:16 PM   #9
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

God Help Us All

Actually...if you are serious about being a parent, it's very hard but very rewarding (I have a two year old, ask me again when she's a teenager).

You have to be willing to commit to it, dirty diapers, midnight feedings, tantrums at restaurants, clothes stores, parties, gatherings, during your favority shows, etc...but when my daughter says "I love you"...it's the best feeling in the world.

Good luck, you still have to endure the pregnacy part...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 04-28-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:17 PM   #10
HornsManiac

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Horns, you said on another board that you were "single again."

In any case, congrats.

I am not sure what you are referring to unless it was way back when we had our very brief breakup last year.

Regardless, thanks for the well wishes.

HornsManiac
Old 04-28-2003, 03:20 PM   #11
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Fritz, heh.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-28-2003, 03:23 PM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

I've got some advice for you that works with ALL kids. ALL kids love being spanked. If you don't spank your kids, then you're really doing a disservice to yourself and them. If they cry while you're doing it, it doesn't mean they don't like it, because deep down they ALL do. It just means that you're a wussy and not a real dad who knows how to get across to his kids.

Anyway, take that tip if you want to be a real father. If not, then don't come crying to me when your kid is 15 and gets his nipples and tongue pierced.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:25 PM   #13
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Fritz is in his 30's and just got his penis pierced. Of course, he loves spankings to this day.

Old 04-28-2003, 03:26 PM   #14
Franklinnoble
Banned

While you're at it, spank your wife for me... she told me she likes it.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:35 PM   #15
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot
God Help Us All

I second that.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:38 PM   #16
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Sell it to the circus
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:40 PM   #17
HornsManiac

Quote:
Good luck, you still have to endure the pregnacy part...

I am serious about my wife's period being late. Maybe she is pregnant and maybe not. My gut says she is, so she probably is.

LMAO Actually, the pregnant wife part is what worries me the most. I once dated a woman who was pregnant (not my child) and from time to time I got caught up in the whole "I am pregnant.... so excuse everything I do" ordeal. *sigh* She used to wake me up in the middle of the night to go to the store and buy her Cookies N' Cream ice cream and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Geez, I hope she doesn't have midnight cravings like that.

HornsManiac
Old 04-28-2003, 03:46 PM   #18
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Wouldn't it be easier to try a home pregnancy test rather than wait a week to find out?

Last edited by Hammer755 : 04-28-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:49 PM   #19
HornsManiac Jr.

Daddy, will you teach me to be cocky and funny?
Old 04-28-2003, 04:03 PM   #20
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally posted by HornsManiac
LMAO Actually, the pregnant wife part is what worries me the most. I once dated a woman who was pregnant (not my child) and from time to time I got caught up in the whole "I am pregnant.... so excuse everything I do" ordeal. *sigh* She used to wake me up in the middle of the night to go to the store and buy her Cookies N' Cream ice cream and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Geez, I hope she doesn't have midnight cravings like that.

HornsManiac

I think the ball is certainly teed up. Anyone...anyone?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:06 PM   #21
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma

It would be like shooting fish in a barrel.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:09 PM   #22
HornsManiac Jr.

Daddy, I want to learn how to edit.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:10 PM   #23
Buzzbee
College Starter

Hey Brad!
Old 04-28-2003, 04:12 PM   #24
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

...must...not...post...here...
Old 04-28-2003, 04:18 PM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma

I thought about it, but decided against it. It's obvious enough...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:22 PM   #26
Buzzbee
College Starter

Come on Coug, it's too hard to resist.

I'm just wondering, when little Miss Horns is old enough to date, will HM teach her how to be cocky and funny so that she can pick up girls?
Old 04-28-2003, 04:25 PM   #27
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

"Dude, you're having a kid!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:31 PM   #28
Buzzbee
College Starter

Anyone have suggestions for names?

I say if it's a boy he should name him Kevin.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:39 PM   #29
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
I say if it's a boy he should name him Kevin.

There has to a Dell City somewhere in the US. Then he would have Kevin from Dell.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:41 PM   #30
korme
Go Reds

way to ruin an honest thread guys
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:56 PM   #31
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
way to ruin an honest thread guys

I think I answered him just fine.

I don't think it really matters...Mrs. Horns is pregnant then Horns is going to be a daddy whether he's ready or not to be.

I willingly went into a relationship with a woman who was pregnant when I met her...I was more than prepared for the responsibility of raising my daughter, the first few months were the hardest as I had to commute every weekend on a 2 hour drive to see both of them...then we got an apartment where I lived.

My friend got married, and then his wife got pregnant way before they expected...now it's high stress for them, they are both high strung people...they had to give up living on their own (private school teacher salaries in PA are pretty bad), they were knee deep in debt to begin with...so now that they with his in-laws...he was working two jobs...

It all comes down to being willing to sacrifice...babies do not care what time it is, babies don't care about your feelings, babies don't care who you are...they are in a state of constant flux, and a state of constant need...you will wear down.

My daughter is quite active, but I've learned that a few walks around the block, and about two hours at the playground, followed by a quick bath, leads to a state of quiet time...you have to bring toddlers onto a schedule, you have to be the boss.

Being a dad is an awesome task, I've realized now that I'm a parent, what hell I put my parents through (and I was considered to be a good kid)...

But all in all, you have to be selfless, and you have to expect that your kids may never realize what you've given up (until they are much much older).
Old 04-28-2003, 04:57 PM   #32
HornsManiac

Amazing. Even I am disgusted by the sadism displayed here by many of our so-called upstanding and Christian posters. I have said some things here, flamed with some guys, and been at the center of A LOT of controversy, but I have NEVER said anything like this to anyone about their innocent wives and children...

Quote:
Anyone else hoping this is a joke?

Quote:
While you're at it, spank your wife for me... she told me she likes it.

Quote:
Daddy, will you teach me to be cocky and funny?

Quote:
I hereby resign my citizenship in society.

Quote:
Just reading this thread makes me feel dirty. I need to go take a shower.

Quote:
God Help Us All

Quote:
Sell it to the circus

Quote:
I'm just wondering, when little Miss Horns is old enough to date, will HM teach her how to be cocky and funny so that she can pick up girls?

Some of you are some sick motherfuckers is all I am going to say. Anyone who says some of the shit said here about a man's innocent wife and children is the lowest scum on earth. I would even respect the wife and children of Ted Bundy, because they had nothing to do with what he did. I hope I never read any of you guys talking about integrity, Christianity, or anything else that implies you guys are model citizens.

Hell, even Fritz and Hammer755 (two of my usual foes) refrained from making cruel comments. BTW, thanks guys for the decency.

SkyDog, you may just have to ban me for life over this outburst, but I don't give a shit. This is totally unacceptable and I hope you do something about it.

HornsManiac
Old 04-28-2003, 05:01 PM   #33
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I hope you do something about it... just have to ban me for life

Sounds about right.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:01 PM   #34
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Oh Chill Out...I at least answered your question.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 04-28-2003, 05:05 PM   #35
HornsManiac

Quote:
Oh Chill Out...I at least answered your question.

Not the first time, you didn't. You went back and added some reasonable advice after your initial remark sat for a while.

HornsManiac
Old 04-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #36
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I still think God Help Us All...is true...I could care less if you are offended by this remark...it was the first thought in my head when I read your post...

You bring a lot of shit on yourself...then you come pandering for advice, and you expect everyone to behave...that's moronic. Deal with the jabs, wipe the dirt of your face, and sift through on the stuff that actually answers your question...you should be used to this by now...
Old 04-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #37
Franklinnoble
Banned

Did anyone catch the license number of the bug that just drove up Horns' ass?
Old 04-28-2003, 05:09 PM   #38
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not the first time, you didn't. You went back and added some reasonable advice after your initial remark sat for a while.

HornsManiac

Your right, it took me a while to get over the fact that anti-Christ might be coming...
Old 04-28-2003, 05:10 PM   #39
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Actually, I retract that...

I hope you and your wife have a healthy baby girl.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:13 PM   #40
couriers

It's really sad that people can't either say something kind or refrain from saying something rude.

Congrats Horns and best of luck.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:14 PM   #41
korme
Go Reds

half of the shit said wasn't needed, everyone always chiming in because it makes them feel better to rip on Horns.

We talk about how we don't flame, how we're a more civilized board... shit like this makes all of that seem very untrue.. I'm tired of every fucking thread Horns starts to have you guys make your jokes.. yeah it was fun 6 months ago.. but get over it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:14 PM   #42
astralhaze
College Prospect

To quote Sky Dog, "if you play with the piper you have to write the tune and record it on an 8 track"

At least that is how I remember it, but I may have been stoned at the time.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:15 PM   #43
heybrad
Norm!!!

Break it up... the fun police have arrived.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:16 PM   #44
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Did anyone catch the license number of the bug that just drove up Horns' ass?

No but the member names are rather clear.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:17 PM   #45
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Horns, if you're going to get pissed off about some of the comments here, I can't wait until your kid is three and and you have to deal with temper tantrums every day, all day.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck. Your life should change dramatically. It has to stop being about you, and has to start being about what's best for your child. It can be a big challenge if you're not ready... so good luck.

BTW, despite what you may have heard, birthing classes are NOT a good place to pick up women. Trust me on this one.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:19 PM   #46
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
half of the shit said wasn't needed, everyone always chiming in because it makes them feel better to rip on Horns.

We talk about how we don't flame, how we're a more civilized board... shit like this makes all of that seem very untrue.. I'm tired of every fucking thread Horns starts to have you guys make your jokes.. yeah it was fun 6 months ago.. but get over it.

Except Horns does bring it on himself, and don't pretend he doesn't. Constant trolling and seeking of attention, not in this thread but countless others, are part and parcel of his act. None of us exist in a vacuum and past actions color our perception of people, you don't need me to tell you that. I'm not just talking about things that happened six months ago, or a year ago, but all the time. You are expecting too much to expect him to post things like he did in this thread or in his thread yesterday or two days ago, and then just ignore it and act like that never happened
Old 04-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #47
Buzzbee
College Starter

HM - I stand by my comments. You made your bed. Now lie in it. (No pun intended, honestly).

In regard to our "integrity, Christianity, or anything else that implies you guys are model citizens" don't EVEN begin to PRETEND that you know anything about our integrity, Christianity (or lack thereof for some) or our model citizenship. Remeber HM, we are just personas on an internet forum. Or have you forgotten that.

That's all I'm going to say. I don't get into flame wars unless it's Friday.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #48
TroyF
Coordinator

Horns,

Why don't you take the advice you give the rest of us with women and use it on the board? Why would you care what was said? Why wouldn't you see the humor in some of the posts?

First question my friends ask when I start dating someone new is if she's blind or on drugs. Should I scream and demand that they renounce my friendship? It's a j-o-k-e, lighten up.

Beyond all of that, what on Earth did you expect the responses to be? Don't tell me you couldn't guess some of them before they were ever posted.

Congrats on the kid.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:25 PM   #49
HornsManiac Jr.

Daddy, can I borrow one of your Tommy Hilfigure shirts? I have a big date with Her Real Name tomorrow evening.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:25 PM   #50
heybrad
Norm!!!

Re: HornsManiac Jr. - help you "Dads"

Quote:
Okay, now I need some advice from you Dads who became Dads just a little sooner than you were expecting. Was the adjustment a tough one?

I have 2 kids myself and a number of my friends have dealt with this issue when they had kids, so I'll take a shot at a serious answer.

The adjustment is as easy or as hard as you make it. My wife and I obviously dont do all of the things we used to do. We may not be as spontaneous as we used to be (Vegas trips on whim, etc...), but we make plenty of time for ourselves and our children. I have friends who act as though their lives are over and they are chained to home once they had kids. Dont be afraid to take your baby out into the world. If you hung out with the guys and you still want to, take the kid with you (if possible). Dont be afraid to utilize baby sitters if you feel you need some time for yourself or your wife. I actually think its healthy to have your child learn to spend time with others early on. It gets them used to things like pre-school and kindergarden and being in new environments.

Hopefully that helps.