Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Internet connection for streaming movies...

I'm wondering how fast should an internet connection be to stream HD movies, most likely through Netflix, X-box, or PS3.

We just got Fiber in my neighborhood, offered through our city utilities- and it's a lot cheaper than Cox or Direct TV so I'm making the switch, and I have 3 choices (all speeds are both upload and download). 10 mbps, $28 / month, 30 mbps $45 / month, and 50 mbps $58 / month. Now I know 50 would be complete overkill, but should I make the jump to 30 mbps if I plan on streaming quite a lot of movies through netflix.

Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have Time Warner Cable that is around 15 and I use Netflix streaming on my Xbox 360 via wireless connection and it is just fine and streams the HD fine as well.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I have FiOS that's 15, use Netflix streaming on my 360 via wired connection. On movies, I get no buffering, but I get the digitization a bit more than I expected. I rarely if ever see that on TV shows that I stream. I mostly stream TV shows. All my streaming is HD if it's available.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Tasan
College Starter

I have 6 on AT&T DSL and I stream Netflix HD just fine with a very short wait to buffer right at the beginning. Any of those speeds should do just fine.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Yup, around 6Mbps is fine for Netflix or other HD. Some of the higher quality ones (VUDU) want around 10.

Note that 6Mbps is about what the typical overcompressed "let's stuff 3 channels in one ATSC stream" HD stuff is, so I'm actually seeing quality on par if not better than what TWC's HD OnDemand was giving me, especially since Netflix / Amazon pay attention to how they do the compression and do a better job of it (backgrounds will blur out quicker, but faces and whatnot have very good detail).