Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Radii
Head Coach

Debt Free!

September 1995: First credit card obtained in my first week of college. Credit limit: $350
1995-1998: Picked up a Visa card, and also two department store credit cards. Maxxed them all out, paid the minimums on all of them.
1998: Dropped out of college and officially took on my student loans. Total Debt: ~$12,000
2002: Used the money I was setting aside for an "emergency fund" as a down payment to purchase a Honda Civic Hybrid. Total Debt: $25,000
2006: Lived off of credit cards for 6 months while hoarding cash, something that seemed like a smart thing to do at the time in fear of potential fireworks and financial responsibilities during a divorce.

January 1, 2007: Total Debt: $50,000

Back on my own at the start of 2007, I moved into a tiny 1-bedroom apartment and finally started living below my means, something I'd been preaching for a long time but not really doing. A salary that was easily able to support 3 people in the past was now able to aggressively attack that debt, and for the first time ever, I actually stuck to my plan and didn't stray to buy some sort of cool new toy with the money that was intended to go to debt.

January 1, 2008: I moved back home to help out my family, among other things. One major benefit of this change has been an even further reduction in my expenses. I do consulting work only part time, but given the extent to which I've been able to minimalize the amount of money I need to survive, I was able to continue to aggressively attack my debt.

November 9, 2009: Today I wrote a $737 check(well, ok, I used online bill pay) to Bank of America, paying the last little bit off my last credit card with a balance on it. I have no student loans, I own my car outright, and now I have ZERO credit card debt.

For the first time since I went to Lenox Mall in Atlanta and used my first credit card in my first month of college when I was 18 years old, I am officially DEBT FREE. WOOOHOOOO. I've been lucky. I've never been unexpectedly unemployed, never had a serious crisis of medical bills, ever since I got my first technical job as part of Georgia Tech's co-op program in 1996, I've been employed. And working 13 years consistently in the same general field has allowed me to grow my career to the point that I can make a solid living. Enough so that waking up one morning and realizing that I have $50,000 in debt is scary, but not soulcrushing. I'm very, very fortunate I believe.

The scary thing to me looking back is that I never really used credit cards after college. Student loans, big bump in debt. Spur of the moment car purchase, big bump in debt. Not thinking straight about money while under stress of separation/divorce, big bump in debt. I would go months, sometimes years at a time without using a credit card but then let one thing set me back massively, like buying a computer on impulse with money that I had intended to use to make a big student loan payment, or buying a car with money that was set aside in case I ever lost my job.

So now I own a car with only 60,000 miles on it that I intend to drive into the ground. I have a couple credit cards but I have no intention or desire to use them for anything. I have all the things I want and the patience to wait for the right time to make new purchases. Everything's looking pretty damn good

Thanks for reading, I thought it'd be nice to share a positive story here with everyone.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Nice job, dude. I hope to learn from your smarts and take my debt down over the next couple of years. Of course, with my mortgage that won't be so easy, but if I got rid of everything else, I'd be pretty happy.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Well done. It's a great feeling to get to the point of being debt-free. Now remember what it feels like and make sure it stays under control.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'll get there one day.

EDIT - Grats, too!

Last edited by spleen1015 : 11-09-2009 at 06:53 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Flasch186
Coordinator

Congrats!!!

Wanna buy a home

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

we got there in February...although we took an *ahem* slightly different route

still remember my first ccard purchase, back when I was 20 years old: a SNES. That was on my $500 card and was going to be the only purchase I made. I was going to pay it off and just keep it for emergencies. Pretty sure that was maxed out in a matter of months.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Flasch186
Coordinator

For us we have both been pretty good about avoiding debt although I remember in College getting up to about $6K. My parents stepped in at one point and offered to pay it off if I assured them I'd never get into CC debt again. They paid it and over the next 4 years I gave them back all of that money eventhough they never asked for it. For some reason paying them back meant more to me than paying back CapitalOne.

Now our debt is the wife's car which Im hoping to pay off by the end of the year. Our mortgage and thats it! Ill be taking on a prepaid college fund for the kid when he gets here (any day now) but otherwise we've done pretty good about hoarding cash during the good times and being able to plod ahead during the bad.

Didnt mean to threadjack but to celebrate your great day Ill tell ya I was there at one point and my anxiety was very high about the load so I can appreciate in some small way your freedom.

Congrats again!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Congratulations!!

I am envious, I sometimes feel that I'll never get there with all of the school loans, medical debt, mortgage, credit card debt, etc..

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Like Alan T, I don't have any realistic hope I'll ever see it either but I'm happy for you for getting there.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FWIW......I've never considered a mortgage part of being 'debt-free'. Unlike other things like cars, you can generally get a good portion of equity out of a home and be removed from that debt by selling the property. A home isn't like a car where it loses it's value the moment you drive off the lot. With good maintenance and some work, it's not hard to break even or even make money on a home.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FWIW......I've never considered a mortgage part of being 'debt-free'. Unlike other things like cars, you can generally get a good portion of equity out of a home and be removed from that debt by selling the property. A home isn't like a car where it loses it's value the moment you drive off the lot. With good maintenance and some work, it's not hard to break even or even make money on a home.

That may have been the case a few years ago, but thanks to the economy, I'm pretty sure my house is now 'worth' far less than the amount owed on it. (which seems to be a very common trend at least in my area for anyone who has bought a house in the past 5-7 years) Luckily for me my home was not meant to be a short term investment though so it doesn't phase me much other than one more piece of debt on my back.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
That may have been the case a few years ago, but thanks to the economy, I'm pretty sure my house is now 'worth' far less than the amount owed on it. (which seems to be a very common trend at least in my area for anyone who has bought a house in the past 5-7 years) Luckily for me my home was not meant to be a short term investment though so it doesn't phase me much other than one more piece of debt on my back.

Sure, that's always going to be the case. Don't confuse what you can get right now for the home value. The demand will come back at some point and you'll be just fine. Meanwhile, you've got a place to stay that allows for a large tax break and a chance to build up more equity. Even with the downturn in the market over the last year or two, there's still very few investments better than a home.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Subby
lolzcat

Great job Radii!

Pretty sure I'll always be in debt, but that's okay.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bravo, Radii.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice job, Radii. That's awesome.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Congratulations on your discipline! I had some debt early on (and took on some of my brothers also). I remember paying it off (credit union loan) and the weight that came off my shoulders.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

We've only got the mortgage right now...which is nice...but at the same time we are definitely making some sacrifices while my wife stays home with the girls. Trust me, every time I walk into Costco and see those big screen TVs I get the shakes and try to scurry along as fast as possible so I don't lose my mind and load one into my cart.

Great job, Radii!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
SportsDino
College Prospect

Good to hear, without the debt monkeys on your back and the tricks you learn to handle your money in order to get debt free, you will no doubt have an easy time pushing ahead beyond 0!
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #19
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You should celebrate by going out and buying something really expensive for yourself.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Congrats Radii, it is amazing how being financially stable can be so good for your state of mind.

Now put 10K away and win the main event next year, and if you have 20K you can back me!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Congrats Radii! that's fantastic.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Congrats Radii that is some serious good news. Now how about starting a new FBCB Dynasty?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #23
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Congratulations! Excellent work!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #24
digamma
Torchbearer

Congrats, radii!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
Celeval
Pro Starter

Rock on - congratulations! We're making progress ourselves, but aren't there yet.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #26
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Congrats. I have a somewhat similar story, so I can sympathize.

The hardest part, IMO, is not falling into old bad habits.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #27
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Awesome Radii, congrats! What a weight off your shoulders!

We're fortunate to just have credit card and student loans. I don't see it as a bad thing because Antmeister is in a better place career-wise, and the $$ we spent on credit card bills were valid while he went to school full-time. We'll get there some day, I'm sure of it
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Congrats man, I'm in the same boat and am in the process of eliminating some of the debt I've accumulated over the years. Your story was inspiring!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
Cuckoo
College Starter

I offer my congrats as well. That takes a great deal of dedication and sacrifice.

My wife and I accumulated a significant amount of credit card debt in college and immediately following. We've been working to pay it down for years, at the same time keeping our credit record flawless. We're very nearly there, and I can only imagine the sigh of relief when it's gone.

Unfortunately, we have a mortgage, student loans, and car payments as well. Those will probably never go away, particularly the ridiculously high student loans.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #30
rowech
Pro Starter

My wife and I paid off our final credit card payment in August. We now have two cars, a house, and two student loans. It is a great feeling. My parents gave me a card when I went to college telling me I could charge all of my books I needed and extra $1,000 per year as needed for food, etc. and they would pay it. I get out of college and they give me the payments to take over. They only made the minimum payments the entire time. My graduation gift? Nearly 10K of debt. It eventually got up to 25K when my wife and I combined ours. (mine was 21 of it for a variety of reasons...mostly a teacher's salary while trying to take college classes to get a master's degree)
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #31
sabotai
General Manager

Congrats!

I was in a similar hole not too long ago. Although, I think my "high point" was around $30,000 in CC and student loan debt, and no divorce. It took me awhile but several months ago I got my CC balance to $0 and the loan was paid off several months before that.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #32
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Congradulations!

I paid all mine off 10 years ago. Being in the black is a great feeling.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #33
finketr
College Prospect

congratulations..

now celebrate by buying a new jaguar!
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #34
Schmidty
Coordinator

Nice job!!!

I have no real debt, but I live in an old rental home, drive 2 old vehicles, and don't have stuff like HDTVs, PS3s, yachts, riding lawnmowers, etc. I do everything the hard way, or I don't do it. I have one Amex, but I pay it off every month, and only use it for credit-building stuff, just in case I ever want to buy a house.

The only splurges that I have are computer stuff and a new laptop, but I pay for those things with cash (well, with my Amex that I pay off every month). In fact, a few months ago, our washer and dryer broke within the same week, so after waiting a week or so, I went down and bought new ones with cash. Well, I guess all of my sports packages like Sunday Ticket and Center Ice are spurges too, but still.

I know that this stuff is going to pay off in the future, even though at times, it feels pretty spartan. At least my kid will have most of her college paid for before she even starts, and I can buy a house whenever I want to.

Last edited by Schmidty : 11-09-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: pay off, not payoff, which is a noun.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #35
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Well done Radii! its gotta be rough. I wish I was debt free, but I think I should feel positive about being 25 years old and only having about 1800 dollars worth of debt. I actually have no idea if that is decent, but I do know that I got rid of both my credit cards and just use debit cards now. $1500 of that is student loans, the other $300 is whats remaining on my ex cc.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #36
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

dola, one of the things my parents taught me (the wrong way) was that being in debt truly truly sucks.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #37
finketr
College Prospect

k0ruptor, that's pretty awesome.

I had no debt from 2000 through 2008 outside of CC's that i paid off every month when i bought my new car.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote