Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

What the hell do you do for a living.(2009 edition)

I could have sworn that there used to be a thread like this. But a search didnt turn one up, so here we are.

I just very recently changed jobs, and not only that but I changed fields as well I know crazy thing in this economy. But it has been well worth it.

So currently, I earn my living as a C#/ASP.Net Software developer for a company that operates a virtual highschool.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 10-08-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
cougarfreak
College Starter

Have my master's degree in Secondary Education, and am in my 15th year of teaching at my alma mater. Currently teaching AP Human Geography, World Geography, US History. Great occupation that lets me spend lots of time with my two little ones.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 10-08-2009 at 12:20 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

I sell new homes and run a small mail order Sweet Tea company, I also Referee HS soccer and keep active an IC account on Liveops.com.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sales & marketing in the financial industry, on the institutional side.

we market investment advisors/money managers to large institutional pension plans or endowments.

so you've got let's say the endowment of the college you went to, or the pension plan at your company. they don't just leave it sitting in a savings account at the local bank. they invest it and try to beat the market and grow it.

what i do is try to hook up the people that have the $$ with the people who know how to invest it.

it's been a long road (almost 3 years for me here now...wow), but we'll be in the black for the first time in Q4 and we're headed way way up. and i've got 10% of the company.

life's pretty good.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Pretty much same job that I've had since 1997 (although the job itself has changed drastically over the years).

Network Engineer with an emphasis on network security

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Independent contractor for the federal government. IT testing/development.

By this time next year, I'll be running a family-owned property.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

I have been managing Help Desks for about 6 years. I currently work on a US Navy contract for a web-based application.

I'm actively looking for other opportunities, but realize in this stage of my career that that likely means staying in the Help Desk field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

We were just bought out by FIS so, for the time being, I do technical troubleshooting of customer issues in the Trust department (mostly COBOL/CICS work)

At night, I run our online business with the wife.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I am a mortgage broker and have my own office with three employees. It has been a tough couple of years but this year has been a nice comeback after a nasty 2008.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
rjolley
College Starter

Senior database admin working mainly with Oracle. Been in the field since '98 and don't see changing anytime soon. I enjoy the problem solving too much.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I am currently the head basketball coach at my local recreation center. I am running camps until the season starts then I will assemble my traveling team for my last season. I have been looking for another job for awhile now because I have a lot of free time since I am done with school, BA English, BS Business Admin, Minor Creative Writing... I know I am geek.

Anyway hopefully on Friday I will find out if I got this other job or not because the pay is great.

Last edited by Noop : 10-08-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Senior Actuarial Technician for a supplemental health insurance company. I help set prices for our hospital and recovery income products, perform experience studies to make sure we're in compliance and prepare reports to various states proving that, analyze claims data for the higher-up decision makers to look at, and some light coding of product specifications into the system used by the underwriters.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

I work in IT as an ETL (Extract,Transform,Load) tech lead. Basically, my team moves data.

Right now, we're doing a lot of work moving data from our mainframe source system and making it available for web applications. I've done pretty cool stuff the last couple of years.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
We were just bought out by FIS so, for the time being, I do technical troubleshooting of customer issues in the Trust department (mostly COBOL/CICS work)

At night, I run our online business with the wife.

when's the new shop opening? I need to catch up on your dynasty...
Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

I work as a software QA engineer for Apple in the ProApps division (Final Cut Studio). The actual app that I do QA on is called Color. Basically, I try to break our app and then write bugs and then watch the software engineers ego deflate as their bug count rises. Just passed my 4 year mark with the company.

Great job, but, Silicon Valley is extremely underwhelming in the looks and charm department, unfortunately.

On the side, I do color correction for tv shows and movies. Work has been slim and none lately.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

Currently a graduate student getting my Masters in English. Also a TA, which here teaching 2 sections a semester. Planning on getting my MFA in Creative Writing after graduating this May.

I'm wondering more and more lately if teaching is the right profession for me. I'm not liking it much this semester at all, to be honest. If it isn't, then the MFA might not be the right route for me.

Of course, then I have to decide what career I -do- want and how to go about it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

For the last year, I was operating a recording studio out of my house. I just moved and don't have the space for it anymore so that's on hold for a bit. I still do non-full-band type stuff, like acoustic/voice-over etc.

I just started teaching guitar lessons.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 10-08-2009 at 01:03 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

dola

I also worked nights at a super-market when I first moved here but quit. Worst job ever.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #19
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
when's the new shop opening? I need to catch up on your dynasty...

Looks like we are on hold until early next year, the places we were looking at weren't right for us and we don't have any viable options. With all the places open, maybe another year of getting stuck with all the tax, insurance and snow plowing bills will change the tune of some of these landlords. Plus with the holiday seasons coming up quickly, we wouldn't be setup until December 1st which is past my window for this year.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I am a Senior Tax Manager for a family with a net worth in the high nine figures. I work in their family office, which I lovingly refer to as Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated.

The purpose of my position is to maximize the family's after tax wealth through efficient tax planning. I specialize in related party transactions, real estate tax law and tiered partnerships.

I am currently strongly considering going to law school for the simple reason of protecting my interactions with the family under attorney client privilege. Rumblings in Congress and recent court decisions have made me extremely concerned about my role as a "paid preparer". Congress and the Treasury have made noise about registering me and making me an agent of the government, rather than an advocate for my client. And I think y'all know how I feel about that.

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 10-08-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling sucks
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn View Post
I am a Senior Tax Manager for a family with a net worth in the high nine figures. I work in their family office, which I lovingly refer to as Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated.

The purpose of my position is to maximize the family's after tax wealth through efficient tax planning. I specialize in related party transactions, real estate tax law and tiered partnerships.

I am currently strongly considering going to law school for the simple reason of protecting my interactions with the family under attorney client privilege. Rumblings in Congress and recent court decisions have made me extremely concerned about my role as a "paid preparer". Congress and the Treasury have made noise about registering me and making me an agent of the government, rather than an advocate for my client. And I think y'all know how I feel about that.

i think we should hook your clients (who presumably have significant personal investment portfolios - albeit likely operated by a trust company or in their case potentially a private family trust) up with my clients (who are very very good at investing).
Old 10-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Still doing title work.

My current job is to be the final reviewer of commercial property prelims before they leave my production center to the various title customers who use us. It's interesting to an extent, and I am pretty good at it, but it's not really what I want to do (of course).

I also still maintain a second job as a server at a well known family restaurant chain, which is now my "supplementary income" job.

If I had a bevy of cash lying around, I would quit both jobs, stay home and write novels.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
Autumn
Head Coach

I own a business with my wife and another partner that does mainly audio transcription, a well as miscellaneous typing, closed captioning, formatting work. We work mainly with academics, for example tying up interviews they've done for research purposes, as well as focus groups, lectures, conferences. Besides academics we do work for some print magazines, journalists, TV stations, radio and the like.

The fact that the subjects vary so widely is the fun part, I learn a lot of things in the course of our work. That said the actual typing can be tedious. It's a great business to have while having young kids, we can work from home and be flexible with our time. The business does very well, we've had to expand to subcontractors over the years to keep up with projects, but there's a lot of stress involved in the inevitable ebbs and flow of work. It's not at all what I want to do with my life, but it's keeping us afloat as a family.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm in academic administration at one of the local colleges, and at night I'm taking classes towards a Master's in Information Technology to hopefully someday slide over into web application development.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #25
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I sell computers
Old 10-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #26
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

11 years as a software developer/consultant, working in Microsoft technologies (.NET mostly).

Been at my current company for 3 years and love it, we try to use latest-and-greatest technologies (WPF, Silverlight, etc) and apply Agile and lean practices on our internal project teams (Scrumban). We are also branching out into more product-oriented development through partnerships with companies like Telerik.

Most recent application I worked on (a Silverlight app) is actually a finalist (1 of 3) for a Microsoft Impact award and will be spotlighted (spotlit?) at Microsoft's Professional Developer Conference this year (PDC).

Oh and I also like to put things in brackets (could you tell?).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #27
Logan
Head Coach

Examiner of national banks for the US Treasury Dept (a more analytical auditor, if you will).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
11 years as a software developer/consultant, working in Microsoft technologies (.NET mostly).

Been at my current company for 3 years and love it, we try to use latest-and-greatest technologies (WPF, Silverlight, etc) and apply Agile and lean practices on our internal project teams (Scrumban). We are also branching out into more product-oriented development through partnerships with companies like Telerik.

Most recent application I worked on (a Silverlight app) is actually a finalist (1 of 3) for a Microsoft Impact award and will be spotlighted (spotlit?) at Microsoft's Professional Developer Conference this year (PDC).

Oh and I also like to put things in brackets (could you tell?).

that might have something to do with you being Canadian.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #29
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

BA in Interpersonal Communications, BA in Economics, MA in English and currently teaching high school English and Speech to sophomores and seniors and I'm a facilitator for a college course for future teachers.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #30
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I have a Bachelors and a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering.

I work for a company that designs and manufactures main coolant pumps for nuclear reactors. We design them for Aircraft Carriers, Submarines, and commercial plants.

We also have designed a motor that will shoot planes off aircraft carriers using electro magnets and the device that catches the planes that essentially is a long wire that connects to two generators that turns the kinetic energy into energy for the ship.

I work in the analysis department and build 3D models and such to analyze the parts and see if they are up to code both structurally and thermally. I'm the geek that sits behind the computer all day.

As a side job I am a football official for both high school and college.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #31
Subby
lolzcat

Vice President and Director of Information Services for a trade association in DC. I'm in charge of all the technology and information delivery. I started here in 1997 at the ripe old age of 25.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #32
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm a project management consultant. Typically this means I go into clients and rescue their failing projects, though at the moment I'm actually performing an assessment of a Project Management Office.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #33
MikeVic
Head Coach

Software developer for something like three years. Working with C#.NET mostly.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #34
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'm a project management consultant. Typically this means I go into clients and rescue their failing projects, though at the moment I'm actually performing an assessment of a Project Management Office.

So you're one of The Bob's?
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #35
digamma
Torchbearer

run the us legal department for a fixed income investment manager

Last edited by digamma : 10-08-2009 at 01:43 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #36
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

well played!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #37
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am a partner at a law firm. I do a mix of antitrust work and litigation.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #38
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am a partner at a law firm. I do a mix of antitrust work and litigation.

How is Feiger doing these days?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #39
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I am part owner of a metal finishing shop here in Cleveland. Bought my father-in-law's partner out in 2007. If you ever want anything nickel/chrome plated I am your man!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #40
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
If you ever want anything nickel/chrome plated I am your man!

You do teeth? I'm looking for a new grill.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #41
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

B2B Sales and Marketing for a massive conglomerate of a Software company...well...at least for the next 9 working days. I'm actually quite good at my job, to the point of being on the CEO's "special" list and being treated like a VIP. My formal education is pretty limited actually, I just read a lot. I knew all the right people, shmooze pretty well, and was able to get an entry level position here a few years back...now I'm the golden boy. They're quite sorry to see me go, but they understand that Hawai'i is hard to turn down.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 10-08-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #42
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You do teeth? I'm looking for a new grill.

Yeah - send them over and I'll apply the chrome

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #43
gstelmack
Pro Starter

C++ developer with an emphasis on physics and simulation (although I've done some of everything) for video games on the PC and 360 platforms. I've been with Red Storm Entertainment since 1997, with a small 8-month foray into government contracting around 2000 that convinced me government contracting sucks and games are much cooler...
Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #44
rjolley
College Starter

You needed to leave gaming to know that gaming is cooler than government contracting? What, you like to sit in meetings and accomplish nothing?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #45
clemsonfan
High School JV

I am a full time nursing student. I also babysit about 25 hours a week and work as a lab assistant in the nursing skills lab 8 hours a week.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #46
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
You needed to leave gaming to know that gaming is cooler than government contracting? What, you like to sit in meetings and accomplish nothing?

Well, at the time there weren't many gaming options in the area, and there were some things I weren't happy with. The contracting job was related (physics programming, training) and paid better. I did not realise at the time that the government cares far more for documentation about a program than they do about the program itself. Things cleared up and I went back.

Hey, we all do something stupid with our careers at some point, don't we?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #47
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Heh.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #48
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
C++ developer with an emphasis on physics and simulation (although I've done some of everything) for video games on the PC and 360 platforms. I've been with Red Storm Entertainment since 1997, with a small 8-month foray into government contracting around 2000 that convinced me government contracting sucks and games are much cooler...

So when will you be releasing a football/basketball/wrestling game?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #49
hawk4669
High School JV

I work for a small, Northern California Fire District. Just promoted from Fire Captain to Administrative Fire Captain (essentially a Battalion Chief). More (obviously) administrative duty, more command responsibility, and a different schedule (went from a 48 hours on duty/96 hours off duty schedule to M-F 8-5 schedule).

A week into the new position and am loving it. Nice being at home every night with the wife and kids.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #50
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

I currently write GIS desktop and web applications in .NET (mapping software).

In the past, I created video poker and slot games used in casinos, which was pretty cool, but I hated living in Reno.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote