Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

"Blacks"

Read this sentence today: Should baseball force blacks to play baseball in their neighborhood?

Am I the only one that thinks thats kind of racist? Doesn't "black kids" in that sentence sound better, or am I way off base?

Edit - I mean, I don't think I've ever heard someone say "Look at all those whites"

Last edited by korme : 04-15-2008 at 12:09 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That's a poorly wordy and silly question to ask. It's not racist, it's just stupid. Racist is telling people they can't go to schools that they support with their tax dollars. We've really warped that word out in this generation.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola --

Not saying you are silly. Saying whereever you got that question from (presuming ESPN, since I read a story about the lack of blacks in MLB) is really stupid.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

Shut up honkey.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

The word "black" is not racist in that sentence. The sentiment may be, but to me, the word is not. I think "black" is a perfectly acceptable term for "African Americans." Just as "white" is a perfectly acceptable term for Anglican Americans.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Dola --

Not saying you are silly. Saying whereever you got that question from (presuming ESPN, since I read a story about the lack of blacks in MLB) is really stupid.

I got it from a Cincinnati sports blog, which used the word blacks 4 times in a paragraph. Maybe not racist, perhaps a bit ignorant.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

"I am dark, and you are light."

"You are blind as a bat, and I have sight!
Side by side, you are my amigo,
Negro, let's not fiiiiiiiight!"
Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
The word "black" is not racist in that sentence. The sentiment may be, but to me, the word is not. I think "black" is a perfectly acceptable term for "African Americans." Just as "white" is a perfectly acceptable term for Anglican Americans.

If I am referring to someone I know, I would describe him as black. I think "blacks" and saying someone is "black" is two different arguments. The plural is the subject here, why I think it sounds bad, I guess I don't know.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It's not the word "black". It's the word "blacks", which does have the implication that people of a certain skin color are all alike and/or should do the same thing. I'm not saying that the question is racist, or that the person that wrote it is racist. However, it can be perceived that way, and is often used by people who are racist, so it's probably best to avoid usage when there are perfectly acceptable alternatives.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
If I am referring to someone I know, I would describe him as black. I think "blacks" and saying someone is "black" is two different arguments. The plural is the subject here, why I think it sounds bad, I guess I don't know.

Point taken.

Stuff White People Like had a huge 15 mins of fame and no one seemed to think it was offensive.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

But if I say 'dem peeples' then someones usually gets pissed off at me for dat toos.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
Synovia
High School Varsity

If you think that saying "blacks" is any different than saying "whites", you're a racist.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
If you think that saying "blacks" is any different than saying "whites", you're a racist.

Has anyone made that point in this thread?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
"I am dark, and you are light."

"You are blind as a bat, and I have sight!
Side by side, you are my amigo,
Negro, let's not fiiiiiiiight!"

I love that skit.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I always hated the term "African-American" for two reasons. One is because it puts Africa in front of America. Two is because the term is overused in general. I mean I hear it used when referring to black Europeans, Asians, "pure" Africans and whatnot.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
I always hated the term "African-American" for two reasons. One is because it puts Africa in front of America. Two is because the term is overused in general. I mean I hear it used when referring to black Europeans, Asians, "pure" Africans and whatnot.

Well, I don't think it's first because it's more important or anything, I think it's because it's an adjective descricibing what kind of american you are. I agree with your second point and that bugs me too, but it doesn't bug me when we're actually talking about american people of african descent.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-15-2008 at 02:35 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Your first reason is funny.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

For the longest time, I thought Subby was blacks.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #19
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

They should use to learn the correct term...Canadians.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
They should use to learn the correct term...Canadians.

Drunk already?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #21
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:

Plus hyphenated terms like that cause problems. Like the white kid from South Africa that applied for and received a scholarship for "African-Americans" that was later taken away.

If a kid born in South Africa that is now an American isn't an African-American then the term might need to be revisited, no?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #22
JediKooter
Coordinator

I know this white family that is from South Africa that are now U.S. citizens. Are they African American? Or do you have to be black to qualify for that designation?

I really hate the whole -American thing to begin with. Are we the only country that thinks that it's important that someone HAS to be categorized in such a fashion to be politically correct? I hate political correctness as well, so, maybe it's my problem...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

Black and African American are mutually exclusive terms.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #24
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Black and African American are mutually exclusive terms.

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutually_exclusive_events

Unless you're saying "Blacks" are American born citizens of a dark complexion (or however you define it) and "African Americans" are individuals immigrating from the continent of Africa and cannot be referred to as "blacks." Otherwise I think you mean something else.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #25
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Maybe we should be less sensitive about things and try to not read into every little thing.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #26
Raiders Army
Coordinator

dola, and this wasn't meant to slam you Shorty; it was only meant to say that people in general look for things that aren't there. Could it be worded better? Yes. Was the intent to be racist there? Probably not.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
korme
Go Reds

I wasn't looking for anything, just to me someone repeatedly using that term instead of- as you said- easily rewording it, seems a bit unitentionally offensive.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #28
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Better to be black then a nigger I guess. "Blacks" shouldn't offend anyone just like whites doesn't offend anyone. That is just commenting on the color of their skin although for "blacks" brown with be more appropriate but given the fact that latinos namely mexicans have that name I guess black will have to do.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #29
korme
Go Reds

I don't think I've ever heard someone say "those whites are whatever" though.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #30
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutually_exclusive_events

Unless you're saying "Blacks" are American born citizens of a dark complexion (or however you define it) and "African Americans" are individuals immigrating from the continent of Africa and cannot be referred to as "blacks." Otherwise I think you mean something else.

Are you telling me I've been using "mutually exclusive" wrong my whole life?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #31
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard someone say "those whites are whatever" though.

Well I have never said those blacks myself. But I have said those white people...
Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I regularly just type the word "blacks" in a particular IRC channel. I could be idle for 6 hours, come back to the keyboard, and type "blacks" in the channel. So, yes, that word offends me greatly.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #33
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Well I have never said those blacks myself. But I have said those white people...

You aren't wrapping your head around what I am saying. Blacks/black people whites/white people is a difference to me (one ok, one not)...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #34
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
You aren't wrapping your head around what I am saying. Blacks/black people whites/white people is a difference to me (one ok, one not)...

Ahhh...I was thinking this was kind of over-reaction, but I think I get what you're saying now. It's the pluralization that pushes it over the edge, as it suggests that all 'blacks' aren't really worth separating, and operate as one homogenous entity.

I had a similar offended reaction when the immigration debate heated up and everyone was tossing around the term 'illegals', which seems particularly de-humanizing.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #35
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Were you looking to say that they are the same thing?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #36
JW
College Prospect

Well, my first thought had nothing to do with the word "blacks." I was wondering, what the hell the sentence is talking about? Is MLB going to send armed security personnel to black neighborhoods and force kids to play baseball at gunpoint? It makes no sense to me.

As for the term "blacks," I don't see a problem, since many people commonly refer to white people as whites and black people as blacks. I see a problem with the word "force," however.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #37
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I know this white family that is from South Africa that are now U.S. citizens. Are they African American? Or do you have to be black to qualify for that designation?

I really hate the whole -American thing to begin with. Are we the only country that thinks that it's important that someone HAS to be categorized in such a fashion to be politically correct? I hate political correctness as well, so, maybe it's my problem...

Not sure if we are the only country but I'll be dammed if we don't do our best to put EVERYONE in some sort of category be it race, class, creed, sexual orientation, political orientation, hair color, eye color etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Maybe we should be less sensitive about things and try to not read into every little thing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #38
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Not sure if we are the only country but I'll be dammed if we don't do our best to put EVERYONE in some sort of category be it race, class, creed, sexual orientation, political orientation, hair color, eye color etc...

So true. I hate having to fill out a form or something at some place and it seems they are more interested in categorizing me than what my actual pertinent information is.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #39
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

That depends on what you thought it meant. But it means they never occur at the same time. So you're saying one person cannot be both "African-American" and "black." If you're saying one can be "African-American" or "black" without being the other then you mean something else. (A word or phrase is not coming to me)

Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
If you're saying one can be "African-American" or "black" without being the other then you mean something else. (A word or phrase is not coming to me)

This is what I've always thought it meant (and have never been corrected on, even in work/school papers). Seriously, someone help me out here.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #41
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is what I've always thought it meant (and have never been corrected on, even in work/school papers). Seriously, someone help me out here.

Sorry to burst your bubble. "Mutually exclusive" means "cannot be both at the same time."

Old 04-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #42
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
Well, my first thought had nothing to do with the word "blacks." I was wondering, what the hell the sentence is talking about? Is MLB going to send armed security personnel to black neighborhoods and force kids to play baseball at gunpoint? It makes no sense to me.

To be fair to the blogger, I took the quote out of context - he was lamenting that all these storys are ridiculous and thus threw out a ridiculous suggestion sarcastically.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #43
MikeVic
Head Coach

You're a trouble-maker.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #44
Joe
Pro Starter

I don't like them either!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #45
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
To be fair to the blogger, I took the quote out of context - he was lamenting that all these storys are ridiculous and thus threw out a ridiculous suggestion sarcastically.

All this for nothing....great shorty!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #46
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
As for the term "blacks," I don't see a problem, since many people commonly refer to white people as whites and black people as blacks. I see a problem with the word "force," however.

This was the thing that stood out to me too. I recall blacks being "forced" to do some other things in the history of this nation...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #47
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Hey whitey, where's your hat!?!?!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #48
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I had an interesting experience with the term "blacks". It was certainly the term I was taught and used. But when my kids were younger (in the 3-6 age range), they referred to their black friends as "brown". I thought that was quite an innocent (and factually much more accurate) term. I even adopted that term when it came up in discussion with my kids. Unfortunately, over the past several years, they have heard the term "black" used so often, in print, on TV, friends, etc. that they have moved away from the term "brown".
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #49
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I use the word "black" now exclusively in place of the word "African-American" ever since SkyDog yelled at me* for using the latter.

True story.

*Well, maybe not just me.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #50
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
That depends on what you thought it meant. But it means they never occur at the same time. So you're saying one person cannot be both "African-American" and "black." If you're saying one can be "African-American" or "black" without being the other then you mean something else. (A word or phrase is not coming to me)

Equivalent?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote