Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Ask Vic"

This is one of the reasons that I like the daily Ask Vic column for the Jaguars. He is independant and often critical of players or the team, which is a breath of fresh air on a team's own website. Anyway, I loved one of the questions and answers from today:

"Larry from Jacksonville: Is it me or is Fred Taylor going back to his juke style of running? I can remember when he first returned from his injury he started hitting the holes hard and strong, now he seems to be trying to dance his way through. Watching Toefield and Fu, and then watching Fred, it was like night and day. I know Fred is a good running back, but if he is not gaining yards is he really a threat opposing defenses need to worry about?

Vic: Fred Taylor's long-run ability makes him a threat every time he touches the ball, even when he's having a bad day, as was the case against the Dolphins. But that's really not the issue here. What's more important is that Taylor was so out of sorts. He seems to go through a little bout of this every season; looking for holes instead of hitting them. But I have never seen Taylor run that bad in the six seasons he has been with the Jaguars. The holes were there and when Fu (vowel rationing) and LaBrandon Toefield hit them, they gained significant yardage. Toefield was 3.8 yards per carry, Fu was 3.7 and Taylor was 2.2 with two fumbles. It just wasn't his day. How does it get fixed? Well, maybe someone will ask Taylor a question about being a finesse, cutback runner. He hates that and every time somebody refers to him that way he snaps out of his funk."

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:45 AM   #2
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

If you're talking about NFL.com's Vic Carruci I think he's very biased (athlough insightful). I think he doesn't give the 49er a lot of credit, no matter what they do.
I remember over the years, he never liked this team.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 06:59 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkiller
If you're talking about NFL.com's Vic Carruci I think he's very biased (athlough insightful). I think he doesn't give the 49er a lot of credit, no matter what they do.
I remember over the years, he never liked this team.

Come on, Darkiller!

I don't know this Jags writer from Adam, but I do know you (or at least your following in the sport).

Isn't it kinda odd to be pointing out bias in another when you are so consistently biased for the Niners?

Heck, the fact you are so pro-Niner calls into question whether your impression of this guy as being anti-Niner is even on the mark.

Not trying to pick a fight or nothing. I just thought i was odd to hear you say something about someone else's bias, given your own position.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:24 AM   #4
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

you're right Chief !

but remember, I'm a self-acclaimed 49er fanatic. a fan. like so many of us.

and HE, well : he's a journalist : so HE HAS to be unbiased (is this good english ?) in his comments because this is his job.

me : just a leisure..

see the (enormous) difference ?
:-))
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.

Last edited by Darkiller : 10-14-2003 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:31 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

Where is it written that a journalist has to be unbiased? Most aren't and some even flaunt the fact they are biased.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:31 AM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You're right, that he is supposed to be unbiased, although I would think someone who writes specifically about a team is going to eventually lean toward it, so you could reasonably expect some Jaguar bias in there.

I still believe, though, that your acknowledged Niner-bias may also color your impression of those who make negative comments about the team, even when the comments are fair and fully supported.

I can buy that this guy is biased against the Niners. Hell, I hate the Niners. I can certainly understand another person being that way (even makes sense in my scheme of things), but I would be foolish to make any judgements about a writer from a potentially biased source. I would need some non-Niner fans to come on here and agree with you for me to give it any creedence (just like you need corroboration from others than me when I am talking about the Angels or UCLA or the Ducks, for instance...).

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:33 AM   #7
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

LOL
all right :-)

Bring on the (non-49er) troops !