Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

WNBA Mock Draft

Aw, crap, we're too late!

How long is their season again, like 7 weeks?

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

they still play?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The "best of 3" playoffs/finals always made me laugh. That's barely a playoff series in any other sport. They'd be better off just playing single elimination.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Easy Mac

I think you meant "Mock WNBA Draft"
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I got a hankerin for some Pat Summitt.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

SUCK IT, FOOLS!!

DEEEETROIT BASKETBAAAAAAL!

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'll take the one who can dunk.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Too bad Candice Parker didn't get to declare early. She wanted to, but that league won't let you join until you've been in college four years or you graduate. They kept trying to say last night during the women's championship that she had offers of over $1m in endorsements to play overseas.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
SUCK IT, FOOLS!!

DEEEETROIT BASKETBAAAAAAL!

Still can't believe that 60 footer he hit the other night.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Too bad Candice Parker didn't get to declare early. She wanted to, but that league won't let you join until you've been in college four years or you graduate. They kept trying to say last night during the women's championship that she had offers of over $1m in endorsements to play overseas.

Not sure what you're on about here. There were never any strong indications that she wanted out, if anything she knew that she needed to get stronger physically & improve her outside shooting consistency. Next year? Yeah, I'd say she's gone. But barring injury, she's only going to get better & those endorsement offers from Russia & Korea probably aren't going anywhere, plus she'll have the WNBA as option if she chooses to stay in the U.S.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, I thought it was interesting to see Ivory Latta slip all the way to the 10th pick (Nancy Liberman had her going 2nd overall).
Old 04-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Meanwhile, I thought it was interesting to see Ivory Latta slip all the way to the 10th pick (Nancy Liberman had her going 2nd overall).

10th?! Wow. That's pretty crazy. She was one of the best players in the country all year.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Not sure what you're on about here. There were never any strong indications that she wanted out, if anything she knew that she needed to get stronger physically & improve her outside shooting consistency. Next year? Yeah, I'd say she's gone. But barring injury, she's only going to get better & those endorsement offers from Russia & Korea probably aren't going anywhere, plus she'll have the WNBA as option if she chooses to stay in the U.S.

I'm just saying that's what they were saying. I don't know that going overseas would have benefitted her at all. I just think the media was excited that there was a female player that excited them enough to talk that way at all.

Not that she had any real reason to leave or a ton to gain by NOT going to the WNBA, though admittedly it seems these players go from the big stage of college, to being engulfed by the anonymity of the WNBA year after year.

But she's a pretty special talent, no doubt about that.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
st.cronin
General Manager

Noah's gotta be the top pick, right?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just saying that's what they were saying. I don't know that going overseas would have benefitted her at all.

Okay, I misread you then. I caught some of that talk early in the game last night but by the 2nd half, they were already backing away from the "she may be going" vibe they initially gave off.

As for Latta, I think her tournament performance may have hurt her stock somewhat (she actually went 11th, not 10th, I misspoke earlier), enough to drop her behind the scorer Geralds from Purdue (7th pick). The surprise to me is that a junior college guard was taken at #8. And another guard, from UCLA, was taken 5th.

I know that I would rather have had Harding, and unless I was specifically looking for a push-the-ball PG, I would rather have had Price among the guards as well. I didn't see the UCLA shooter enough to have an opinion on her, and no idea about the JUCO (who apparently had a great workout for the scouts). I think Latta will fit in as a player that Detroit coach Bill Laimbeer will like (although like him, I think most everybody else will end up hating her).
Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I think you meant "Mock WNBA Draft"

And the great thing is that there is no deadline for when this ends.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I found it more amazing that she had to declare my 10am on the day after the championship. Geez, give her some time to celebrate first. Why the mad rush for the WNBA draft to take place on a Wednesday?

(all this is assuming she was on course to graduate and the decision would be relevant)
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I found it more amazing that she had to declare my 10am on the day after the championship. Geez, give her some time to celebrate first. Why the mad rush for the WNBA draft to take place on a Wednesday?

(all this is assuming she was on course to graduate and the decision would be relevant)

I think the idea is to keep themselves in the "glow" of the women's tournament. Frankly, it's too late by the next day, though I can't think of any other time to do it.

This article talks about the whole WNBA and how the money isn't going to entice many to skip school.

Quote:
A player must meet one of four criteria to be eligible for the draft: Be 22 years old, graduate from college, complete her eligibility, or play at least two seasons for another professional league.

No player in the 11 years of the W.N.B.A. has left college early to join the league. Technicalities would allow Candace Parker of Tennessee and Sylvia Fowles of Louisiana State to enter the draft after their junior seasons, but both have said they would return to college for their senior seasons.

Under the league’s collective bargaining agreement, the first four players picked in Wednesday’s draft in Cleveland each will receive contracts worth $43,200 this season. The next four players will be paid $39,960 and the remaining five first-round picks will earn $35,640.

The minimum salary for a player with no more than three years of experience is $32,400, and $49,134 for players with four or more years. No player — rookie or veteran — may make more than $93,000, and each team’s payroll is capped at $728,000.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I found it more amazing that she had to declare my 10am on the day after the championship. Geez, give her some time to celebrate first. Why the mad rush for the WNBA draft to take place on a Wednesday? (all this is assuming she was on course to graduate and the decision would be relevant)

As for the Wednesday draft, I believe it's the WNBA trying to link up with the Final Four. Plus, their season starts in just a few weeks.

Meanwhile, Parker is not only on track for graduation but is actually ahead of schedule. From an espn.com article, explaining what the university detailed in a press release a few days ago

Quote:
Although she has two more years of NCAA eligibility, Parker is academically a junior and on track to graduate in December 2007. Jennings expects Parker will finish out the 2007-08 season as a graduate student.

WNBA rules prohibit players from entering the draft until their classes complete their senior year -- and Parker's classmates, juniors Alexis Hornbuckle and Nicky Anosike, won't graduate until May 2008.

edit to add: picking up on DC's mention of the salaries, from a Knoxville newspaper article
Quote:
A majority of WNBA players take advantage of the leagues overseas, which generally run from November until April. A player of Parker's caliber would generate an estimated $400,000 to $643,200 if she signed with the WNBA followed by a top-tier overseas contract.

And that doesn't count her possible endorsements, which could be the highest for any women's player in history.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-04-2007 at 02:27 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow. serious discussion of the WNBA. what is this board coming to?

i kid...i kid. sorta
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #21
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Liberty games can be fun and scary at the same time... thousands of lesbians looking at you with hatred just because your penis is attached and functional...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #22
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
they still play?
They got a coach in the Hall of Fame the same year as Phil Jackson. Go figure.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
As for the Wednesday draft, I believe it's the WNBA trying to link up with the Final Four. Plus, their season starts in just a few weeks.

Understandable, but are they really capitalizing on the FF by drafting at 1PM on a Wednesday? You can't find a channel that will air it at 6? I only happened to come across it because I was working from home yesterday. Are WNBA fans home midday?

Quote:
Meanwhile, Parker is not only on track for graduation but is actually ahead of schedule. From an espn.com article, explaining what the university detailed in a press release a few days ago

I could've sworn that the "sideline reporter" the other night said she wasn't on track. That's what I was basing it on, so I could've misheard.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I could've sworn that the "sideline reporter" the other night said she wasn't on track. That's what I was basing it on, so I could've misheard.

I remember at least one mention about that, and it was sort of confusing. If it's the same one, it's where they mentioned the university's statement of their basic position that she was ineligible for the draft because the anticipated graduation based on her enrollment fell outside the WNBA rules. What could have made Parker's case interesting is that she's ahead of schedule academically & is a junior in terms of school but only a sophomore in terms of athletic eligibility (I think Fowles at LSU has a similar situation).

I got the feeling that the school wasn't really talking about Parker so much as they were sending a warning shot in the general direction of the league that they would challenge a draft declaration in a case like this if it came up again in the future
Old 04-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #25
Logan
Head Coach

Yep, that's what I heard. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #26
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Go Lynx, way to trade to get that number one pick...

Now maybe if they had done something like that a couple years ago to get Lindsey Whalen and Janelle McCarville, the only 2 female basketball players this state has ever heard of, they might have a few fans attending their games.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Candice Parker will fade from the bright lights and packed arena of Tennessee basketball to the obscurity of women's basketball. The LA Sparks picked her in the draft today with the first pick. At least she's going to be able to be showcased in a major market. Whether anyone will bother to watch is anyone's guess, but it's a shame if she ends up like all of the other players who were supposed to revitalize the game and make it worth watching. She's better than any of them, but it seems the WNBA is a black hole where these great players seem to go to fade into obscurity.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Entire 2008 draft selections (it's 3 rounds)
Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #29
JeeberD
General Manager

Two girls off the best UTEP womens team ever were selected. Congrats Natasha and Izabela!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm shocked woman's professional basketball is popular anywhere(800k overseas?). Parker is the best player I've seen in awhile though.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #31
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

A’Quonesia?

Sounds like amnesia caused by water.

And yes Dark Cloud, that chick I never heard of who went #1 overall will fade away now.

Also, I didn't even know Houston had a team until I looked at that list of draft picks.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Becky Hammon who plays for San Antonio will play for Russia in the Olympics. Interesting story.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-09-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #33
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
A’Quonesia?

Sounds like amnesia caused by water.

And yes Dark Cloud, that chick I never heard of who went #1 overall will fade away now.

Also, I didn't even know Houston had a team until I looked at that list of draft picks.

Well, Candice Parker is relatively well known if you're a Sportscenter watcher who follows college basketball with regularity, because she dunked in high school, has dunked in a few games and of course, has rounded out her game and is a bonafide star.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #34
korme
Go Reds

The Comets won like the first four WNBA titles, surely you have heard that before Cringer.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #35
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

Learn your history, son!

Four-peat, baby!

Quote:
Becky Hammon who plays for San Antonio will play for Russia in the Olympics. Interesting story.

Interesting. I saw Hammon play back when I attended CSU...I always thought she was a heck of a player, and the Rams had a solid team back then.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Best part of today's draft was seeing all five eligible players from UT drafted and having both Parker & Bobbitt go to LA where they'll join last years RO Y (and former Lady Vol) Sidney Spencer. Also cool to have only the second player ever drafted from GT.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why did Holsclaw retire? She was kind of a dissapointment in the WNBA anyways.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #38
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm shocked woman's professional basketball is popular anywhere(800k overseas?). Parker is the best player I've seen in awhile though.

Russian teams are throwing TONS of money to star players. To give you an idea, former Famila Schio forward and MVP of the last FIBA World Championship, Penny Taylor, made over 500k this year playing with Ekaterinburg. Consider that in Schio (one of the Italian's top team, couple of millions € of budget) she was making around 250k. Diana Taurasi is making that kind of money, maybe even more, in the Spartak Moscow Region. And these are only 2 examples.

It's perfectly reasonable to think that Candice Parker will land a very, very high contract from one of those clubs.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #39
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Why did Holsclaw retire? She was kind of a dissapointment in the WNBA anyways.

IIRC, she had crippling mental illness.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #40
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
The Comets won like the first four WNBA titles, surely you have heard that before Cringer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Learn your history, son!

Four-peat, baby!

Maybe I just forgot about them, but it seems like I have never really heard of them. They won 4 in a row eh? I guess that is impressive. Still, I won't be trying to catch any of their games anytime soon. The Astros and the Dynamo though, I will make the 5 hour drive for that next month probably.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #41
rjolley
College Starter

Atlanta has an expansion team. May take the girls out to see them play. They enjoyed the Hawks gave last weekend.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Candace Parker draft selection and a little montage of them talking about what she does well and all that. She's no joke.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah, but the league is
Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #44
JS19
College Prospect

how much money do WNBA players make?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #45
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Have I mentioned she grew up in the same city as me and is still the only person ever to dunk on me? Man, I got killed.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

Umm..not very much. About 40-95k for the season, that's why so many of the stars go overseas where they can make six figures.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-09-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #47
korme
Go Reds

I don't know if it is appropriate or not to say that I'd tap that ass, but I'm going to say it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #48
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't know if it is appropriate or not to say that I'd tap that ass, but I'm going to say it.

I think its perfectly appropriate and an accurate representation of my thoughts as well.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #49
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

There's a detailed post regarding WNBA salaries about 20 posts before yours.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #50
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Son, I've been married for over 30 years...but I would have gone there. Hell yeah I would have.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote