Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2003, 11:21 AM   #1
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Diversity of likes/dislikes is fascinating

In looking at what folks here and elsewhere really likes and really dislikes, I find it fascinating as to liking/disliking polar opposites. This range from games to movies to tv shows to food to any other diverse areas of interest. This was brought home to me this week as I rented MIB2, which I thought was just okay, it had its moments. I then go on to the imdb messageboard and see one person (from Sweden no less) adamantly saying that this is the greatest movie of all time and that there is no better actor than Will Smith (he was truly serious about it).

Now I’m not debating the merits of MIB2 but it again struck me that if you absolutely love something, you will find at least one person here that will absolutely hate that something. And vice-versa. I just find it fascinating of how we all can have such extreme diversity in interests and likes/dislikes. That is healthy except when someone gets defensive and can’t believe that anyone else can love/hate something they hate/love.

There is a list or a game in here somewhere, I think. I would like to hear more of extremes likes/dislikes of games, movies, tv shows, food, etc. – just don’t make it personal.

I can start off with one I know will elicit polar opposite opinions: I think The Matrix is a very lousy movie.

Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:26 AM   #2
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

dola

Here's another one that came up here recently: it appears that Ramzavail can't believe that not everyone is thrilled about the upcoming CM4 release. And then we have soccer, which the extreme diverse opinions is a given.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Everytime I watch a really horrible band perform, between trying to keep my ears from bleeding, I think "This is someone's absolute favorite band."

the world is an interesting place.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

No one plays Will Smith better than Will Smith.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:29 AM   #5
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Everytime I watch a really horrible band perform, between trying to keep my ears from bleeding, I think "This is someone's absolute favorite band."

the world is an interesting place.

Exactly!
Old 02-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
henry296
College Starter

I think another broader topic that is similar to soccer is Country Music.

Todd
Old 02-14-2003, 11:34 AM   #7
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Not sure if this is what youre looking for. I like:

Boring, defensive dominated 3-0 football games.

The DH.

A.I. the movie

Dont like:

Domes.

Backdraft the movie. Well it was ok just Hollywooded to death.

Lack of a strike zone.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:36 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000

I was thinking that exact same thing as I painfully sat through a performance by the band Alabama on one of those New Years' Eve shows. I don't think I had ever actually heard them before, and after that moment, I was thankful for that fact.

We had this discussion once before about country music in general, but I don't like it because I can't relate to the songs about workin' hard for a living, boozin', and playin' pool and drinkin' beer, and I don't like overly-sentimental patriotic crap. That doesn't leave much else to listen to.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:39 AM   #9
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Oh my biggest dislike:

Sports talk radio-stations that dont talk about sports for more than 13 seconds an hour.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:41 AM   #10
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Frog, interesting list and I wonder how extreme you are with those (or how someone can take an extreme opposite view)? I'm sure there are those that think every single sport should be played in a dome (I haven't heard anyone say that, so that would be interesting to find). You and I have opposite tastes on QB and football games types but I do think we can find some common ground. I just think most folks (not all) are willing to be less extreme.

cthomer: You have an example of a band?
Old 02-14-2003, 11:43 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
Oh my biggest dislike:

Sports talk radio-stations that dont talk about sports for more than 13 seconds an hour.

cough The Ticket cough

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:53 AM   #12
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
Frog, interesting list and I wonder how extreme you are with those (or how someone can take an extreme opposite view)? I'm sure there are those that think every single sport should be played in a dome (I haven't heard anyone say that, so that would be interesting to find). You and I have opposite tastes on QB and football games types but I do think we can find some common ground. I just think most folks (not all) are willing to be less extreme.

I think we did the QB issue to death.

There are a lot of people that are anti-DH. I like it because I would rather see an over the hill hitter at the plate instead of a typical pitcher. I dont buy into the NL is more strategy based than the AL.

The type of football game I would never take someone to task over but I am guessing a majority like open offensive games.

JeeberD ding ding! The only guy I will listen to on that station is Norm Hitzges and most Ticketheads think he is boring.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:55 AM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The movie that popped into my head was LA Confidential. Lots of people loved that movie...I thought it was a big pile of donkey dung...
Old 02-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Pulp Fiction. Many seem to think it is the best ever. I thought it was utter crap.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:55 PM   #15
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

For me it's Austin Powers.

My brother-in-law goes on and on about the first two films - even he thought the third one stunk - but I just don't think that they are that funny.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:00 PM   #16
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Kodos, I feel the same way about Pulp Fiction. I would also add Bogart and any of his movies.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:01 PM   #17
wade moore
lolzcat

Country Music
Acapella Music
Dude Where's My Car?
Country Line Dancing

Dislikes:
Pulp Fiction (yay Kodos)
The recent version of Romeo and Juliet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:06 PM   #18
scooper
College Benchwarmer

A couple dislikes of mine that tend to be very popular:

I don't like Adam Sandler much. I have not hated all of his movies, but I didn't find him funny on SNL. I think most of his characters are exactly the same and not that amusing to me.

I also don't like Dave Matthews Band. People love them. I'll agree that they are talented musicians but his voice to me is fingernails on a chalkboard.

As for a like: I didn't love it, did not pay to see it in a theater, but I once sat down and watched the movie Waterworld on TV, just to see what the stink was. I sat through the entire thing and enjoyed it.

By the way, I love 3-0 defensive struggle football games.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:07 PM   #19
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Strange, I initially disliked Pulp Fiction, then for some odd reason, it grew on me...and I began to really like the movie. Probably because some of my close friends kept on raving over it. Talk about peer influence.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:08 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by wade moore

Ha! This one would appear to be purely generational:

Strange Brew

Dislikes:

Dude Where's My Car
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-14-2003, 01:08 PM   #21
jerem77
Mascot

I can't stand DMB. I took my fiance to a concert because she likes his music. I felt like I was listening to the same song for 3 hours, interupted only by him mumbling into the microphone.
jerem77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:11 PM   #22
Ksyrup

I Intensely Dislike:

Grateful (He's) Dead
Phish
Widespread Panic
Any other "jam" bands

But Like:

Dream Theater
Queensryche (way back when)
Shadow Gallery
Fates Warning
Spock's Beard
Porcupine Tree
Most rock/metal prog groups
Old 02-14-2003, 01:16 PM   #23
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Ksyrup,

One jam band I like that is usually classified more as a Skynard like southern rock band is the Allman Brothers. As for the others, I agree.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:17 PM   #24
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Did anyone like Battlefield Earth? I think that was the worst movie I have ever seen.

The only saving grace of Pulp Fiction was the soundtrack.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:18 PM   #25
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

My wife and I cannot figure out how "Signs" got so much critical acclaim and box office success. C'mon, aliens capable of interstellar travel can't figure out how to break through a friggin door held up by 2x4's?
Old 02-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #26
JeeberD
General Manager

And they don't realize that the planet they're invading is made up of 2/3 of a substance that's toxic to them???

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #27
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Did anyone like Battlefield Earth? I think that was the worst movie I have ever seen.

That would be interesting. I have heard that BE will be on most critics (and fans?) worst movie of all time list. I am very sure that somewhere out there, someone thinks BE is the single greatest movie of all time. Fascinating.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:29 PM   #28
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I never even gave Battlefield Earth chance. I just couldn't get past John Travolta looking like Rob Zombie.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:30 PM   #29
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
That would be interesting. I have heard that BE will be on most critics (and fans?) worst movie of all time list. I am very sure that somewhere out there, someone thinks BE is the single greatest movie of all time. Fascinating.

That person wouldn't be named Travolta or Hubbard would they?
Old 02-14-2003, 01:37 PM   #30
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Enuff Z Nuff is the greatest band of all time - (next to the Beatles)

Beat that.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:38 PM   #31
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I didnt see it when it came out and I had read some reviews which said it was downright awful. Sometimes even after I read them I will watch it myself and disagree with them or at least find something that I didnt think was that bad (this was the case with A.I.) So I rented it on DVD and honestly in my opinion, there is nothing good about Battlefield Earth. Its absolutely horrible, a complete waste of film.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:45 PM   #32
QuikSand
lolzcat

LOVE:

"real" country music (Hank Williams, good Johnny Cash, that's about it)
Pulp Fiction
Radiohead
good talk radio (I'm the judge)
vanilla
pistachios
Tim Russert
Charlize Theron

HATE:

"new" country music
Forrest Gump
most radio
most talk radio
three-button suits
power ties
non sequiturs
The Sixth Sense

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-14-2003 at 01:46 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:52 PM   #33
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator

Beat that.

I saw Fly High Michelle on VH1 classic the other day. I remembered that I really liked that band.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:54 PM   #34
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
LOVE:

"real" country music (Hank Williams, good Johnny Cash, that's about it)
Pulp Fiction
Radiohead
good talk radio (I'm the judge)
vanilla
pistachios
Tim Russert
Charlize Theron

HATE:

"new" country music
Forrest Gump
most radio
most talk radio
three-button suits
power ties
non sequiturs
The Sixth Sense

I don't 100% agree with your country music dislike as I like the likes of george straight, Clint Black, etc. as that is what I grew up with -- but I hate the "poppy" country that is coming out now...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:57 PM   #35
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw Fly High Michelle on VH1 classic the other day. I remembered that I really liked that band.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have made 10 more CD's after that one. Can you believe that? On CD #11.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:00 PM   #36
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
three-button suits
power ties

But you still have to wear them? I also hate suits and ties, never wore a suit in my life and perhaps the primary reason I don't live on the East Coast.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #37
QuikSand
lolzcat

I certainly wear suits and ties, but I refuse to get suckered into wearing an absurd black three-button double-breates suit with a bold yellow power tie. That's just idiotic.

Robert Hall, 1957. Never goes out of style. Dark blue suit, crisp white shirt, reasonable tie, conservative black shoes, and a tan overcoat. That and a cell phone, and I'm ready for business.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:15 PM   #38
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I certainly wear suits and ties, but I refuse to get suckered into wearing an absurd black three-button double-breates suit with a bold yellow power tie. That's just idiotic.

Robert Hall, 1957. Never goes out of style. Dark blue suit, crisp white shirt, reasonable tie, conservative black shoes, and a tan overcoat. That and a cell phone, and I'm ready for business.

And to think, you used to be my hero.

Jeans, Rockports and Polo Shirts are about as formal as I get, esp. for work.

Back on the subject of extreme opposites, I remember some discussions a while back about female celebrities and who are the beautiful ones. I recall taking the opposite view in thinking that Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon and some other popular chick are major league ugly (for a celebrity).
Old 02-14-2003, 02:19 PM   #39
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Wade --

IMO, I wouldn't classify George Strait as "new" country. He's been around well over twenty years. I've got to admit, though, I like his older "country swing" music (Fireman, Ocean Front Property, etc.) more than I do his newer stuff...
Old 02-14-2003, 02:26 PM   #40
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Back on the subject of extreme opposites, I remember some discussions a while back about female celebrities and who are the beautiful ones. I recall taking the opposite view in thinking that Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon and some other popular chick are major league ugly (for a celebrity).

Good one: Julia Roberts. Ugly.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #41
Kevin
High School JV

Dislikes:
Most movies with special effects. (good special effects are usually used to cover a weak plot)
Rap
Hip Hop
Techno Pop
Bigots

Blues
Fast paced novels
Julia Roberts
Golf
Curling
Monty Python movies
Old 02-14-2003, 02:34 PM   #42
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Good one: Julia Roberts. Ugly.

THAT"S IT! Thanks for the recall.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:58 PM   #43
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
That person wouldn't be named Travolta or Hubbard would they?

Hubbard's writing style just cannot possbily translate to film. It was a huge mistake tryint to make it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 03:04 PM   #44
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator

Beat that.

In theory, this is a band I should love, but I don't own a single CD. And I think I sold the two I had. I'm a huge Beatles fan, love King's X and other Beatlesque harmonies bands, power pop, etc., but just never got into EZN. Odd.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:08 PM   #45
Ksyrup

This subject reminded me of a statement on the website of a fascinating guy who writes a weekly music review column on his own site called the War Against Silence .

The guy is an amazing writer, often blending his reviews with observations about the world, humanity, etc. He has diverse tastes, so you could probably pick a band you like and search his back log of reviews and find one to read.

Anyway, at the bottom of the front page of his site, he has a statement about what he is "for" and what he is "against" that I've always thought was humorous and interesting:

"glenn mcdonald lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with four inert platypi, three guitars, eleven remote controls and twenty-eight copies of the Big Country song "Wonderland". He is against microwave ovens, unchecked market economies, films about mobsters or prostitutes with hearts of gold, video games, infidelity and wallpaper, but for secret passages, dictionaries, b-sides, basing driving habits on moral imperatives, listening to pop songs and soccer broadcasts in other languages, shaved heads, semicolons, bread you slice yourself and OS X. Hopelessly obscure music trivia has crowded out of his mind one essential detail of every significant bit of human knowledge he has ever learned."
Old 02-14-2003, 03:08 PM   #46
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I just hate marmel.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:09 PM   #47
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Being in the 3D animation business and still relatively young (33), I find myself surrounded by people that loved the Matrix and can't wait for the next 2 sequals. Personally, I thought it was totally overblown. Yes, there were a lot of cool effects, and I appreciated those. But even the interesting camera shots I thought got a little old by the end of the movie - creative camera shots for the sake of showing off rather than improving the quality of the story. And in my opinion, the story needed all the help it could get - a horribly contrived, bad comic-book plot that took itself extremely seriously.

I also have never understood the praise for M Night Shyamalan. I thought Sixth Sense was OK, but not all that. Unbreakable was utter crap, and I haven't been willing to see Signs yet. Here's another case of a guy who takes himself and his films waaaay too seriously. Unbreakable in particular - another silly comic-book plot, which would've been fine except that it was played as this deadly serious, important story.

Count me in the camp that thinks Pulp Fiction was brilliant. I like everything Tarantino has directed, as well as True Romance which he wrote and Tony Scott directed (Tony's finest moment in a career of mediocrity).

Some other films I think are brilliant: Blade Runner, Apocolypse Now, Alien, most of Stanley Kubrick, most of Martin Scorcese, the first 2 Godfather films, the original Star Wars trilogy, the Indiana Jones trilogy, the Lord of the Rings so far, Memento, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (perhaps my favorite), the Monty Python movies, most of Hitchcock's classics (Vertigo, Rear Window, the Trouble with Harry), Lone Star, Raising Arizona, Animal House, Caddyshack, A Fish Called Wanda. And I'm sure I've left off another 50 or so I'd love to have in my DVD collection.

I'm with Quik on country music - the old, classic stuff is worth listening to (Hank Williams, Johnnie Cash) but the "new" country is garbage.

I'm into all kinds of music:
- alternative/expermimental stuff like Radiohead, Flaming Lips, Bjork, P.J. Harvey;
- progressive metal like Tool and King Crimson;
- electronica and ambient like Aphex Twin, Moby, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Amon Tobin, DJ Shadow, Brian Eno;
- the "Seattle scene" and similar bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Smashing Pumpkins, Janes Addiction;
- classic rock like the Who, the Beatles, the Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Roxy Music;
- current stars like U2, REM, Red Hot Chilli Peppers;
- jam bands like The Grateful Dead, the Allman Bros., the Dave Matthews Band, Phish;
- certain catchy hip-hop like Eminem, Public Enemy, Nelly, Digital Underground;
- most jazz, including Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Weather Report;
- classic blues like Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters

I think the new Austin Cooper Minis are great, as are most of the retro designs, including the Beetle and the Jaguars, though I'm not entirely sold on the new Thunderbird; the new A4's are growing on me though I prefer the 99-02 S4's; I think the current 3-series BMW's may be the pinnacle of BMW design, though I don't like the direction the company is going in with the new 7-series; I love the classic Mustangs, and I hope the concept designs for the new Mustang are produced; I think the recent Mercedes' designs are impressively aggressive; I think Lexus has spies in the Mercedes design facilities so they can copy whatever Mercedes does.

I like a variety of women, my current faves being Jennifer Connolly, Cameron Diaz, Salma Hayek, Halle Berry, Natalie Portman, Uma Thurman, Winona Ryder and Heidi Klum.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 03:12 PM   #48
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I recall taking the opposite view in thinking that Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon and some other popular chick are major league ugly (for a celebrity).

I was never a big Nicole Kidman fan until recently - she's starting looking a lot better to me, especially after Moulin Rouge.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 03:14 PM   #49
rkmsuf
Head Coach

In defense of the Matrix it was never billed an artistic masterpiece. It did revolutionize special effects and should be at least given credit for that.

I liked it...

Since you mentioned Kubrick can you explain any appeal The Clockwork Orange has?
Old 02-14-2003, 03:20 PM   #50
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan

I think the new Austin Cooper Minis are great, as are most of the retro designs, including the Beetle and the Jaguars,

Ack, puke, blah! The PT Loser is another design that should go back to the (s)crap heap.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote