Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2004, 08:31 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Talking COMING SOON: OOTP6 PREVIEW FOR FOFC!

Guys, Markus has given me the go-ahead to announce this. He has decided to allow me to write a preview of OOTP6! I will be getting a beta build later today, and posting my thoughts at some point in the very near future. I also think it is important that y'all should know that Markus is also allowing me, in the spirit of the "totally unauthorized, uncensored, unedited...," to say whatever I think. I was stunned to find out that he doesn't want anyone from OOTP Developments, including himself, to see the preview before it is published here. I don't know yet whether or not there will be any restrictions placed on discussing "surprise" features, but it sounds like that won't even be the case. If any of y'all have specific things you'd like to make sure I cover, go ahead and post 'em here so I can make sure to take a look.

--Ben

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:33 AM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very cool. I'd really like to know if the financial system has been tightened up at all.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:33 AM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
If any of y'all have specific things you'd like to make sure I cover, go ahead and post 'em here so I can make sure to take a look.
Expect a call from Joe.

(I kid, I kid....)
Old 04-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

How will Markus send you a beta build when he's on the beach?!!?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
How will Markus send you a beta build when he's on the beach?!!?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #6
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I thought you had your dignity!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #7
rjolley
College Starter

Looking forward to the preview, SD.

Will you go through a season or two to cover all phases? If so, can you check how the AI handles the roster with the new rules?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:42 AM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

More seriously - I'd love if you could try and sim a dozen years or so and see how teams' on-the-field success:financial success ratio looks, generally.

Also, if you could look at some of the star players, and see what kind of draft round distribution it might be cool.

Plus, maybe you could see how competitive teams are in free agency, and how that relates to their financial status?

If you don't get a chance to get to these things, no problemo.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wait, you mean Druez isn't doing it?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:53 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
More seriously - I'd love if you could try and sim a dozen years or so and see how teams' on-the-field success:financial success ratio looks, generally.

Also, if you could look at some of the star players, and see what kind of draft round distribution it might be cool.

Plus, maybe you could see how competitive teams are in free agency, and how that relates to their financial status?

If you don't get a chance to get to these things, no problemo.
At this point, I'm thinking that I'm going to do this in at least two parts. Part I will be focused on features, gameplay, interface, etc.,--things that it would be fair to form opinions of within a relatively short period of time. When I go to bed tonight, I'll set it to sim 50 seasons, and come back to give a Part 2 report on things like stats engine stability, what kind of draft choices turn out to be stars, etc. Keep in mind that I'll be getting what I doubt is the final build, so I'll try to be fair to mention what things I see as negatives that are "easily-patchable," like stats tweaks. (Of course I expect I'll be giving Markus some feedback on things that he ought to change/tweak before releasing it... )

Does that seem like a good way to do it?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:54 AM   #11
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Markus.. make sure not to get sand in your laptop.. it really slows down the transfer speeds
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:58 AM   #12
markprior22
High School Varsity

Too bad you didn't already have the beta. That way you could completely ignore the NDA and release an unauthorized "preview" just like TPF.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #13
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22
Too bad you didn't already have the beta. That way you could completely ignore the NDA and release an unauthorized "preview" just like TPF.

Joe and Arlie both were very understanding and appreciative that I did that. In fact, the very first PM I received from Joe that morning was simply the "kiss" emoticon from MSN. They both understood that many at FOFC would not trust my preview if people at .400 had any hand in it coming out. Furthermore (in the spirit of "evidence" these days), I DO have some hard evidence. I have copies of some PM's that came from .400, specifically stating that they were happy with what I did, and did not consider it a violation of the NDA.

Good day.

--Ben

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-14-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:13 AM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I took MP's comment as a joke, but what the hell do I know. Wasn't it Druez who raised a big stink about that? or tried too?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 AM   #15
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I find this thread fun.. but very amateurish

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 AM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Cool, Ben! I look forward to seeing it!

As you stated before, there is still tweaking to be done but it looks like we're getting very close to uh....the "R" word.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 AM   #17
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
At this point, I'm thinking that I'm going to do this in at least two parts. Part I will be focused on features, gameplay, interface, etc.,--things that it would be fair to form opinions of within a relatively short period of time. When I go to bed tonight, I'll set it to sim 50 seasons, and come back to give a Part 2 report on things like stats engine stability, what kind of draft choices turn out to be stars, etc. Keep in mind that I'll be getting what I doubt is the final build, so I'll try to be fair to mention what things I see as negatives that are "easily-patchable," like stats tweaks. (Of course I expect I'll be giving Markus some feedback on things that he ought to change/tweak before releasing it... )

Does that seem like a good way to do it?

Seems like a good way to do it.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:19 AM   #18
markprior22
High School Varsity

yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah

I'm sure you have evidence but....what could .400 do after the fact. You are the pied piper of fofc and if you had been reprimanded or anything of the sort, .400 would have been painted in a very negative light considering your standing in this community. Not to mention alienating potential customers. It is my opinion that it was a bush thing to do. By the way, I am not affiliated with .400 in any way...just stating my opinion.

Yeah, I know. Anyone who posts something unpopular here is found amusing, amateurish, etc. Proceed with your attacks. I can take it.

Last edited by markprior22 : 04-14-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:22 AM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Cool, Ben! I look forward to seeing it!

As you stated before, there is still tweaking to be done but it looks like we're getting very close to uh....the "R" word.

You better not say that too loud, if some of the people at the OOTP boards hear that their heads might explode
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #20
Calis
College Starter

Quote:

Joe and Arlie both were very understanding and appreciative that I did that. In fact, the very first PM I received from Joe that morning was simply the "kiss" emoticon from MSN.
--Ben

Anyone else slightly disturbed by this?

Although I'm not much of a baseball fan, I have had some fun with OOTP so I'll be interested to see how it develops. The good thing about not being a big fan of the sport is I can sit back and just enjoy the game, without worrying about all the little "unrealistic" things.

One thing that kinda bugged me I wish they'd change from 5, is if there is a way to sim multiple seasons while importing real rookies without having to answer the questions each year? Does that make any sense?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 AM   #21
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Anyone else slightly disturbed by this?
It would have disturbed me if it hadn't been in context. I posted this in the intro to the preview: "Arlie is probably either going to want to punch me or kiss me after reading this. Either way, I’m glad he lives far away from me." So, it was a perfect response to a comment I had made. That's why I specifically remember it.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:41 AM   #22
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah

I'm sure you have evidence but....what could .400 do after the fact. You are the pied piper of fofc and if you had been reprimanded or anything of the sort, .400 would have been painted in a very negative light considering your standing in this community. Not to mention alienating potential customers. It is my opinion that it was a bush thing to do. By the way, I am not affiliated with .400 in any way...just stating my opinion.

Yeah, I know. Anyone who posts something unpopular here is found amusing, amateurish, etc. Proceed with your attacks. I can take it.

There have been plenty of times where SD has made a comment or a decision that has been unpopular on this board, and those grievences have been aired. So your pied piper reference is off. Had .400 disagreed w/ SD's decision and posted it, you can be sure a lot of people would've let him know he was wrong. I think a lot of people around here take your posts with a grain of salt because you are constantly defending .400 whenever anyone has a complaint. Valid or not. You may not work for them, but you certainly seem to have an agenda. Now, .400 has received a lot of unfair criticism, but they have also received a lot of criticism that they deserved. I think the BS criticism has taken a lot of impact away from the non-BS criticism though. (I'm not sure if that makes any sense to anyone, but it did in my head, I swear. )
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:44 AM   #23
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

ok, I guess MP wasn't kidding
Old 04-14-2004, 09:46 AM   #24
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
On another note...when FOF2004 was released, I personally felt some real apprehension about having a few guys so dedicated to the FOFC boards being part of the beta process for TPF. I want to go on record as saying I was completely wrong. Ben especially has put together some terrific analysis and a ton of time into the game...looking at the smallest details to make sure the game is what you (we) all want.

Not to start anything here, but this was posted by markprior22 in the "controversial" TPF thread. Seemed like he didn't have an issue at the time.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:56 AM   #25
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpunk2000
Not to start anything here, but this was posted by markprior22 in the "controversial" TPF thread. Seemed like he didn't have an issue at the time.

Joe must be pulling the strings now...

Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 AM   #26
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Joe must be pulling the strings now...

Same thing went through my mind. It's a conspiracy. .400 is really an undeground cult that brainwashes sim players. We've figured you out. Your jig is up.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:04 AM   #27
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
One thing that kinda bugged me I wish they'd change from 5, is if there is a way to sim multiple seasons while importing real rookies without having to answer the questions each year? Does that make any sense?

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. You would like OOTP to remember the location of the Lahman database for that league instead of asking for it every time. That was requested for OOTP5...not sure if it made it into OOTP6.

I'd like to see if the 255 rollover bug for certain stats has been done away with. Should be able to test this with a league running with settings for the 1900's.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #28
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley
I'd like to see if the 255 rollover bug for certain stats has been done away with. Should be able to test this with a league running with settings for the 1900's.

it's a punchline, I know, but it also works here: "it's not a bug, it's a feature".
Old 04-14-2004, 10:22 AM   #29
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Guys, Markus has given me the go-ahead to announce this. He has decided to allow me to write a preview of OOTP6! I will be getting a beta build later today, and posting my thoughts at some point in the very near future. I also think it is important that y'all should know that Markus is also allowing me, in the spirit of the "totally unauthorized, uncensored, unedited...," to say whatever I think. I was stunned to find out that he doesn't want anyone from OOTP Developments, including himself, to see the preview before it is published here. I don't know yet whether or not there will be any restrictions placed on discussing "surprise" features, but it sounds like that won't even be the case. If any of y'all have specific things you'd like to make sure I cover, go ahead and post 'em here so I can make sure to take a look.

--Ben

This is great news, Ben! I can't wait to read your preview, thanks!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:33 AM   #30
TRO
College Prospect

When do we start the 1000 threads about "Is SkyDogs Preview of OOTP6 out yet?"
Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 AM   #31
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Question

Quote:
yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah...Yeah, I know. Anyone who posts something unpopular here is found amusing, amateurish, etc. Proceed with your attacks. I can take it.
Aren't you on the 15-day DL?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #32
tucker342
Pro Starter

Cool Ben! I'll be looking forward to what you have to say
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #33
Samdari
Roster Filler

You better hurry, Ben.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:40 AM   #34
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Aren't you on the 15-day DL?

Dude, those were the steroids talking.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #35
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ben doesn't have long to release this preview since its been 99% gurantueed that OOTP6 is coming out by midnight tonight!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:52 AM   #36
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpunk2000

You are absolutely right. AT THE TIME that was posted, I did feel that way. After Ben released his "unauthorized preview", my feelings changed. Guess I didn't take the time to go back and edit any and all previous posts.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #37
Ben E Lou

Quote:
You are absolutely right. AT THE TIME that was posted, I did feel that way. After Ben released his "unauthorized preview", my feelings changed. Guess I didn't take the time to go back and edit any and all previous posts.
That's simply not true. You made that post in the thread where I posted the preview. It was therefore clearly made "after Ben released his 'unauthorized preview.'" Interesting reponse.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:15 AM   #38
Samdari
Roster Filler

Does anyone feel like we are about to recapture the magic?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:21 PM   #39
andy m
High School Varsity

I somehow equate this to a message from god.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:23 PM   #40
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

apparently markprior22 and the truth=two ships passing in the night
Old 04-14-2004, 12:27 PM   #41
oykib
College Starter

Could you take a look at some random trades... say maybe three to five per year and evaluate them to see what's going on.

1. When was the trade: deadline, spring training, after an injury?

2. Did the trade address a team need?

3. How did the trade conform to the success cycle of the team involved?

4. What werethe salary, cash considerations, and overall payroll involed? What was the resultant impact on team financials?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:33 PM   #42
Axxon
Pro Starter

Hah, just made it in at the preorder price. Thank you Marcus for missing your 99 date.

Looking forward to the preview SkyDog.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #43
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Does anyone feel like we are about to recapture the magic?

Not unless the QOTM is coming back...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #44
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

SkyDog- Hurry up god damnit!!! I need to see that preview. And would you please sign-up and vote at our leagues forums!! GEEZ YOU ARE SO LAZY!!!

Obviously just kidding. But the "high strung clown" had you going!

On a serious note, I am looking forward to this, nobody better could be doing a review for us.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:15 PM   #45
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
Ben doesn't have long to release this preview since its been 99% gurantueed that OOTP6 is coming out by midnight tonight!
I could've sworn I saw a thread on the boards that said it won't be earlier than this Friday.

EDIT: At least, according to Markus' initial post here:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...threadid=59714

I didn't have time (and/or CGI limits thing) to browse any other threads.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 04-14-2004 at 02:16 PM.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #46
Bad-example
College Starter

SD, I will be very interested to read your comments regarding the interface improvements.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:47 PM   #47
Ben E Lou

The preview begins
Old 04-14-2004, 03:51 PM   #48
korme
Go Reds

I have a feeling SkyDog will abandon us all and not post for a week.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:51 PM   #49
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

BOOONNNG
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #50
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. You would like OOTP to remember the location of the Lahman database for that league instead of asking for it every time. That was requested for OOTP5...not sure if it made it into OOTP6.

Is there a way to get OOTP5 to not stop and ask about importing rookies if you NEVER want them? I've had my computer running non-stop for four days now trying to get a 50 year history started for a single player league, but because it stops and asks the damn question when I'm asleep and when I'm at work I've only made it through 25 years so far...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote