Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

OT: I took the TiVo plunge today!!!

I'm not a rich man by any means, but I just spent $400 on a f'in tivo I will have to spend another $300 when it arrives for the subscription fee. It should be here in a week or two. It's weird spending 3.5% of my gross income on one device. Wild stuff. But hey, April has 3 paydays, plus my tax refund (several hundred) is due back this month. I've done lot of research on this and I've thought about this decision for about 3 months. I did some price research on TiVo's yesterday and saw Best Buy was doing $20 off their super large one (140-hours). So I figured "what the hell!?!?!" and today I bought it!!!

Anyone have any TiVo thoughts. There was a thread a while ago on Tivo/replay TV, but I will be owning a Tivo within 2 weeks (lousy slow shipping!). I can't wait! No more missing 24/law and order/simpsons due to work. Plus I can record syndicated episodes of simpsons, law and order, family guy, etc. This is gonna be sweet. I'll always have something queued up to watch. HUZZAH!

(Editor's note: this guy is f'in nuts, spending $700 on one device)

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

You just paid $700 to be an even bigger slave to your television.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
Subby
lolzcat

I am assuming you didn't get this through DirecTV, because they are charging $100 bucks for the new device+installation to existing customers and charging $5 per month on top of that for the service. The drawback is that the DVR you get though them is only 40GB (not all that big) and comes with USB port disabled (meaning you can't transfer stuff to disc - you have to use a DVD-recorder).

Anyway - TiVo (and I am not exaggerating here) is the greatest invention ever. Being able to record shows and fast forward through commercials has already probably saved me 40 hours of my life over tha past 6 months or so. It is really hard to understate the importance of being able to watch television on your terms. I don't even watch all that much - 24, American Idol, Survivor, The Sopranos, World Poker Tour. That's it. The rest is sporting events or movies or stuff I watch with my kids...maybe 3-4 hours of DVD viewing in there too...

Yesterday during the Masters I was able to hit the slow-motion button right before Mickleson would go into his backswing and then follow it all the way through until the ball came off the tee - no way you could do that in the past - and it gives you a much better visual as to the quality of his swing.

Finally - the ability to pause a show for a phone call or needy kid or the call of nature or whatever - is fantastic.

Enjoy!
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:39 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Seems like a lot of dough. I'm at the point that if I miss it I miss it; whatever show or event it is.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
I can't wait! No more missing 24/law and order/simpsons due to work. Plus I can record syndicated episodes of simpsons, law and order, family guy, etc. This is gonna be sweet.

I confess that I'm close to buying TiVo as well...

But this argument just puts me off. Isn't the point of TiVo the convenience factor?

Honestly -- the functions described above are all perfectly reachable with a $60 VCR from KMart. Taping a TV show and viewing it -- yup, we can already do that pretty easily.

The point is, we spend this ton of money just to make it easier and slicker to do this same function. Of course, it doesn't sound quite as sexy to say it that way.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
cuervo72
Head Coach

You can also pause while it is still taping, or pause something you're not recording for later, or tape 2 programs at once, or keep 35 hours on programming on the device without having to swap in different tapes.

Can a standard VCR allow you to pause something you're watching live, go do something for up to 30 minutes, and then catch up while you go along, while the unit is still recording?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, but programming the VCR for multiple programs in one night...I dunno. Plus I'm a big simpsons/family guy/south park/chappelle's show fan, and it'll be great to have 15-20 episodes to choose from at any given time to watch. Have some buds over and say "hey guys, what you wanna watch?" and we can pick specific episodes from the list.

I also do most of my viewing of the TV after midnight and before 5 PM, so this will be great for me, as I'm not usually around in primetime. To me, it's (hopefully) gonna be worth the money to have it auto-record ("season pass") my favorite shows. Plus my VCR is super-cheap and I never really figured out how to program it

I'm already a slave to my TV, it's just that 90% of my slavery time is devoted to utter crap. Now hopefully that can be cut down to 50%
Old 04-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
You can also pause while it is still taping, or pause something you're not recording for later, or tape 2 programs at once, or keep 35 hours on programming on the device without having to swap in different tapes.

Can a standard VCR allow you to pause something you're watching live, go do something for up to 30 minutes, and then catch up while you go along, while the unit is still recording?

No but the question is if it's worth X dollars. Seems like an isolated situation and if it's not I'm too busy to watch tv anyway.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #9
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Oh yeah, I think the biggest thing I'll end up doing is "buffering" my favorite shows. Some shows (24) I can't wait to watch, so I'll prob just start watching at 9:15 PM so I can fast forward through commercials. That'll be sweet money!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Oh yeah, I can now start watching CONAN again!!! I can set it to record like the first 20 mins of his show. It'll be sweet money.

You can measure my level of excitement by my triple-post
Old 04-12-2004, 01:23 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

can't put a price tag on that kind of excitement...
Old 04-12-2004, 01:23 PM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

QS - there's no fastforwarding/rewinding to find your show, for one. and it's a pretty smart device - recording many shows you want to watch automatically. the ability to pause and rewind live TV is also nice.

just took the Tivo plunge a couple weeks ago (with the $100 DirecTV box). unfortunately, it's in a room that I can't easily run a second cable into, so I lose the ability to watch a 2nd channel while recording, but I still love it. My wife, who was as uninterested as it could get, loves the thing. can't imagine spending $700 for it though...
Old 04-12-2004, 01:23 PM   #13
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

These people are ripping folks off...
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:29 PM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

oh, you can also decide well into a program that you can record something, there's an automatic 30 minute cache for the channel you've had on if it's been on for that long (for both receivers). Great for if you're 25 minutes into a kids program when your 4 year old asks you to tape it.

I would definitely NOT say that this is a ripoff...and ours was only the $100 through DirecTV, plus the monthly fee.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 04-12-2004 at 01:30 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:33 PM   #15
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

$700 for a digital video recorder just seems like highway robbery to me, commercials or no. Oh, plus a monthly fee?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:33 PM   #16
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Don't let the women in your life know how good TiVo is. Soon enough, your DVR will be filled with episodes of "Trading Spaces" and "Days of Our Lives." Make them think that it something that is only good for recording sporting events.

I took the TiVo plunge 2 years ago and yes, it was pricey then. I paid $300 for the 40 hour recorder and $250 for the service. Total investment = $550.

No regrets.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:34 PM   #17
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
Oh yeah, I think the biggest thing I'll end up doing is "buffering" my favorite shows. Some shows (24) I can't wait to watch, so I'll prob just start watching at 9:15 PM so I can fast forward through commercials. That'll be sweet money!
I can't watch shows un-buffered. Even the Masters, without commericals, got buffered - the better to fast forward through Enberg's treacly commentary

Being able to tape two shows at once is nice too...

Also - shows I never could watch because of the time they were on - SNL, Letterman, Conan - I can tape and watch at my leisure because of TiVo.

And finally - watching the 2-hour World Poker Tour episodes in just over an hour...hard to put a value on that
Old 04-12-2004, 01:39 PM   #18
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
$700 for a digital video recorder just seems like highway robbery to me, commercials or no. Oh, plus a monthly fee?
I think he means 400 for the DVR and 300 for a lifetime subscription to TiVo...

Yes, there are cheaper deals out there.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #19
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

If people feel that are getting their money's worth, then I guess they are.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:53 PM   #20
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Seems like a lot of dough. I'm at the point that if I miss it I miss it; whatever show or event it is.

Same here.

My parents went through the whole "should I buy this?" thing with a DVD player. They decided they should get one because everyone had one and the rental places were renting DVDs. They went to the local Best Buy, were standing in line and looked at each other, and both had the same thought: "Why are we getting this?" They put it back and haven't regretted it since.

I'm in the same boat - it sounds like a cool thing to have, but my current TV-viewing habits are not such that I see some huge void in my life that I can fill by buying a TiVo.

I also feel the same way, but even stronger, about HDTV. MY wife's parents bought a TV with it, and got DISH Network, but they had to buy a special receiver to get HD and only get 4 channels. And, the local channels they get on cable are actually worse because of the wiring for the HD than they are in the other rooms that don't get HD. So, for a huge chunk of change, they get 4 extra pretty channels and local stations that look worse than normal. What a bargain!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

This seemed appropriate, somehow:

hxxp://www.reallifecomics.com/daily.php?strip_id=1146
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 02:06 PM   #22
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I also feel the same way, but even stronger, about HDTV. MY wife's parents bought a TV with it, and got DISH Network, but they had to buy a special receiver to get HD and only get 4 channels. And, the local channels they get on cable are actually worse because of the wiring for the HD than they are in the other rooms that don't get HD. So, for a huge chunk of change, they get 4 extra pretty channels and local stations that look worse than normal. What a bargain!

I just went through this myself. It is not the wiring for the HD that is making the normal channels look worse. It is the fact that in order to state high numbers of available channels, both cable and DSS services compress their digital signals, and that the HDTVs have high enough resolution to display the artifacts created by this compression. Basically, no matter how the cable is wired, the SD stuff off of DISH network is going to look worse on an HDTV.

Add to this the fact that one of the reasons cable/sat was supposed to be great was that you no longer needed an antenna. Turns out the only way (for most people) to get network television in HD is by antenna. The HD stuff looks great, but it really is too early to buy.

As for TiVO being 'worth it' that's kind of in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

I guess the HD experience I had (grand total investment $4000.00, for maybe 5 hours a week of desirable HD programming) makes TiVO look like a bargain, anyway.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:37 PM   #23
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
I just went through this myself. It is not the wiring for the HD that is making the normal channels look worse. It is the fact that in order to state high numbers of available channels, both cable and DSS services compress their digital signals, and that the HDTVs have high enough resolution to display the artifacts created by this compression. Basically, no matter how the cable is wired, the SD stuff off of DISH network is going to look worse on an HDTV.

Add to this the fact that one of the reasons cable/sat was supposed to be great was that you no longer needed an antenna. Turns out the only way (for most people) to get network television in HD is by antenna. The HD stuff looks great, but it really is too early to buy.

As for TiVO being 'worth it' that's kind of in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

I guess the HD experience I had (grand total investment $4000.00, for maybe 5 hours a week of desirable HD programming) makes TiVO look like a bargain, anyway.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess they'll be comforted to know they aren't the only ones. They gave us the same advice - HD is great, but don't bother with it for another 3-5 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:04 PM   #24
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Thanks for the clarification. I guess they'll be comforted to know they aren't the only ones. They gave us the same advice - HD is great, but don't bother with it for another 3-5 years.

Oh yeah, to quote my sources , find any of the threads on avsforum which are titled "why does SD from DirecTV look so bad on my new HDTV?" There are several.

Your "four pretty channels" does not even begin to describe how little HD a satellite subscriber gets for his investment. Two of them are HDNet and HDNet movies. Check out the programming on those two networks. Now we are down to two pretty channels. One of them is DiscoveryHD. This has a lot of stuff which truly shows off how awesome HD is. Landscape stuff looks awesome, but there is too much "city tour" and "trading spaces" type of stuff. Call this half a pretty channel. Then there is ESPNHD. Except, its not broadcast in HD most of the time. There are maybe 3-4 events per week in HD, of the what, 20 events they are broadcasting live each week. Those, again, look simply incredible. The additional viewing space and detail make hockey and baseball so much more accessible (they just seem to make basketball prettier). 1/10 a pretty channel?

If it were not for Sunday Ticket and the promise of HDTV football in the fall, I would seriously be considering cancelling DirecTV (of which I have been an ardent supporter for years) and checking out VOOM, a new HD specific satellite service.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #25
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
This seemed appropriate, somehow:

hxxp://www.reallifecomics.com/daily.php?strip_id=1146

Actually this is very appropriate.

There are some good things about the TiVo service, but there are also some bad things. It doesn't look like the bad things have been talked about.

1) Depending on your cable/satellite provider, TiVo can REALLY piss you off. If your cable/satellite box does not have an active serial port that TiVo can access to change channels, you are stuck with the IR Blaster. This IR Blaster is relatively primative and unreliable at changing to the correct channel. You also may need to build an "IR Tent" which is detailed on the TiVo website. Nothing is more frustrating than going to watch a show that was on channel 550 and getting instead the program that was on channel 50 or channel 55.

2) TiVo does have a problem with recording shows that suck. It won't bounce any of your shows in favor of the show that it "thinks" you will like, but it gets crazy sometimes, taping numerous shows off of PBS (not that there's anything wrong with that) or other channels that you never watch. It seems to be getting better over time.

3) TiVo personalization. Unless your Roommate/Spouse/Co-Habitant/Child likes exactly the same thing that you like, the TiVo will build a profile on you that is so general that it is ineffective. Or, you will get into fights with said people about what gets recorded (less of a problem if you have 2 antennas).

"Honey, why didn't TiVo record the ball game?"
"It takes up 3 hours of space and I deleted it instead of ER because I haven't watched it yet."

TiVo is awesome. Sharing your TiVo sucks.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:49 PM   #26
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Tivo definitely has its benefits, but has anyone considered the surveillance of one's viewing habits as a potential pitfall? Should we be comfortable sending information about the shows we watch back to some info hub so that we can be marketed to ever that much more efficiently? I would love to get Tivo just to avoid the commercials, but the idea of a potential invasion of privacy gives me pause.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #27
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
Tivo definitely has its benefits, but has anyone considered the surveillance of one's viewing habits as a potential pitfall? Should we be comfortable sending information about the shows we watch back to some info hub so that we can be marketed to ever that much more efficiently? I would love to get Tivo just to avoid the commercials, but the idea of a potential invasion of privacy gives me pause.

doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I'm not as afraid of that stuff as some people are.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:13 PM   #28
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
1) Depending on your cable/satellite provider, TiVo can REALLY piss you off. If your cable/satellite box does not have an active serial port that TiVo can access to change channels, you are stuck with the IR Blaster. This IR Blaster is relatively primative and unreliable at changing to the correct channel. You also may need to build an "IR Tent" which is detailed on the TiVo website. Nothing is more frustrating than going to watch a show that was on channel 550 and getting instead the program that was on channel 50 or channel 55.
I have one of the cable boxes without a serial port that is apparently known for being extremely problematic with TiVo. I haven't missed a channel switch once in the 4 months I've had it. I'm guessing people aren't following the instructions exactly (with regards to mounting and then setting the timing in the software).

Quote:
2) TiVo does have a problem with recording shows that suck. It won't bounce any of your shows in favor of the show that it "thinks" you will like, but it gets crazy sometimes, taping numerous shows off of PBS (not that there's anything wrong with that) or other channels that you never watch. It seems to be getting better over time.
I never understand this argument. The suggestions do not waste any resources (they just use the space that was going to be empty anyway) and they never pre-empt anything. There is no reason to even look at them if you don't care (they do find good things occasionally), but if they REALLY annoy you, you can always turn them off.

Quote:
3) TiVo personalization. Unless your Roommate/Spouse/Co-Habitant/Child likes exactly the same thing that you like, the TiVo will build a profile on you that is so general that it is ineffective. Or, you will get into fights with said people about what gets recorded (less of a problem if you have 2 antennas).
I don't really consider the suggestions/profile stuff a core feature of TiVo. 99% of the stuff I watch is stuff that I set a season pass/wishlist for. Of course anyone can delete scheduled recordings, but hopefully you have respect and communication outside of TiVo with the people you share it with so those things can be minimized.

While i think its a relative waste of money to buy a large capacity TiVo, I consider my $250, 40-hour TiVo to be the best electronic purchase I've ever made. Even if you value your time conservatively it pays for itself in the first month.

Last edited by Daimyo : 04-12-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #29
Easy Mac

Quote:

I don't really care if the TiVo people know I'm watching goat porn so long as they remember to record it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:25 PM   #30
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I guess alongside the privacy question is the question of paying to work for the marketing companies. If I sign up for Tivo, they can discern my income level based on where I live and my demographic based on the kinds of shows I watch. That means I'm doing marketing research for the corporations so that they can more effectively sell products. Am I then paying $400 to Tivo and $10/month to do work for the corporations that I should then be compensated for? If anything, I wonder if Tivo should be paying me to use their device.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #31
MJ4H
Coordinator

I think it will be a LONG time before I will feel a need to have something like tivo. Probably never. Maybe if it was really cheap or something. In the meantime, my VCR works fine. And I know how to program it. And there's a fast forward button for commercials.

I have never in my life wanted to do any of those weird things like pause a live event or something. If you think that it is worth several hundred dollars to pause a live event and that other stuff, then I guess knock yourself out. I've always been mystified by this tivo fad.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:00 PM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Our TiVo went out last week, and the wife and I reallyreally miss it.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:03 PM   #33
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I guess alongside the privacy question is the question of paying to work for the marketing companies. If I sign up for Tivo, they can discern my income level based on where I live and my demographic based on the kinds of shows I watch. That means I'm doing marketing research for the corporations so that they can more effectively sell products. Am I then paying $400 to Tivo and $10/month to do work for the corporations that I should then be compensated for? If anything, I wonder if Tivo should be paying me to use their device.
I'll take a wild guess that you've never tried the service?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #34
Easy Mac

Just buy a TV tuner card for your PC and plop in another HD (like 120 gb's or something). On a good day you could set the whole thing up for under $100 (probably $200 on a bad day). I have a $55 tv card in my computer, and the TV looks just as good as my sister's TiVo. Plus I can burn to CD's (no DVD writer yet) and play it in my DVD player, so almost instant backup of all my shows (although good quality takes a few CD's for an hour show).
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:08 PM   #35
Daimyo
College Starter

So you set it up to manually record shows?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #36
sabotai
General Manager

My TV card isn't so good (a lot of channels come in bad), but it is pretty old. I heard ATI All-In-Wonder cards are great for this sort of thing.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:12 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I use my ATI All-In-Wonder card to make my spare external hard drive a TIVO like machine. It works great except occasionally for frame drops. However, I was getting the card for christmas anyway, and am really enjoying In Demand TV (I particularly like to fast forward through the commercials in sporting events.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:14 PM   #38
Peregrine
Pro Starter

$700 for Tivo sounds way high to me! I got mine through DirecTV at a substantial discount and the monthly service is only $5/month, works great for me.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:54 PM   #39
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

$706 then I'll get a mail-in rebate for $50. So in reality the cost is *only* $656.

I wasn't counting that since I don't have my mail-in rebate back yet
Old 04-13-2004, 12:28 AM   #40
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Personally king, as much as I love Tivo, I wouldn't personally spring for the lifetime subscription option. There's too much of a chance that the company will at some point fold or be bought out by someone that won't honor it.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:41 AM   #41
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Personally king, as much as I love Tivo, I wouldn't personally spring for the lifetime subscription option. There's too much of a chance that the company will at some point fold or be bought out by someone that won't honor it.

Yeah, my buddy got his off of E-bay four years ago and went with the monthly for essentially the same reasons. As he told me today, "I'm still paying out the ass." (Shrug) if something happens, then it does. TiVo just hit the million subscriber mark, so it should be around for at least several more years. In theory...
Old 04-13-2004, 03:27 AM   #42
wade moore
lolzcat

I have had TiVO for about a year now.. I dropped about $550 for the lifetime and a 40 hour unit (no DirectTV unfortunately)...

This is the single greatest electronic purchase I have made. My life no longer revolves around TV like it used to. Instead of readdressing the points other TiVO lovers have already mentioned, I'll throw some things out there that haven't been...

TiVO vs. VCR:

VCR has MANY limits that the TiVO does not:

1) If you go on vacation for a week, can a VCR record the 3 or 4 one hour shows, a couple of sitcoms, and the sunday football game for you and have them ready for you when you get home? Nope, but TiVO can.

2) Can a VCR automatically discern if the show is a repeat and therefore not record it and waste time? Nope, but TiVO can.

3) Can a VCR know automatically that the show you normally record on Thursday at 8pm is showing on Wednesday at 8pm this week because of the NCAA Tournamant? Nope, but TiVO can.

4) A TiVO allows you to have one unit with no media. If you were to record all of the TV shows you watch, ever so that you could fast forward and watch whenever you wanted, you would have to have VHS tapes out the wazooo. Plus the deteriation on VHS tapes is pretty bad.

TiVO Creates a TV Slave:

I actually watch less TV than I used to, AND I do not watch any garbage. Before TiVO, I'd say, "oh, why don't I watch some TV". I'd turn it on, there'd be nothing on I'd want to watch, and I would just watch garbage waiting for the show I REALLY want to watch to come on. Then when "my show" came on, I would watch it even if I had other things to do. Now I sit down and watch "my show" whenever I want, plus fast forward through the commercials. So, it takes me less time to watch TV and when I only watch shows that I want to watch.

The investment is obscene:

In the longrun, it really is not. I have a 40 hour TiVo which has never been a space problem for me, even if I go a week or two without watching anything. I got a lifetime subscription. The way I figure it, it pays off against monthly after 3 years. I got a 4 year extended warranty in addition. So, this baby is planned to last me for atleast 4 years. at $550, it is a little less than $150 a year. That's not a bad investment for my money to have the convenience i have now and to not be a slave to the TV.

People who do not watch much TV have no use for TiVO:

I actually think these people have more reason to buy TiVO. Like I said above, now I do not have to schedule my life around TV for the shows that I do watch. So that what little time I do have dedicated to the TV, is quality time.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:50 AM   #43
SackAttack
Head Coach

wade, on the topic of those who don't watch much, I think it comes down to what TV, precisely, they're watching in the first place, and whether what they DO watch is of the "must-see" nature.

For example, my viewing habits are pretty mundane. I'll watch the Dodgers, if they're on the tube. I'll watch "That '70s Show," if I'm home when it's on, but it isn't something I find myself arranging my schedule to see (my Dad, on the other hand, enjoys that show at least as much as I do, and he DOES arrange his schedule accordingly). I'll watch Jeopardy, if I have absolutely nothing better to do (which is seldom), and if a movie I haven't seen yet (and more importantly, want to see) comes on the Starz! network, I'll watch that.

But that's it for me, really. As far as my Dodgers go, I can listen to them on the radio, which frees up the TV for me to work on game reviews (or just play something for leisure), allows me to use the computer instead (either to write a review, or just to futz around with FOFC, IHOF, and now RWBL), or even get in the car and go somewhere.

Jeopardy and That 70s Show are enjoyable, but it's not really a loss if I miss them, and I can't see spending a couple hundred bucks a year for the privilege.

Like I say, it all comes down to what those people watch, and if it's important enough to their weekly entertainment to justify the purchase. If they're in a situation like yours, more power to 'em. I just think that the class of "people who don't watch much TV" is going to be a little too eclectic to effectively pigeonhole them into either argument, because they're going to fall into both camps.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:37 AM   #44
wade moore
lolzcat

Good point..

Perhaps I should rephrase and say, "those who only watch a few shows, but want to catch every episode of those shows"
Old 04-13-2004, 07:26 AM   #45
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I am one of the relatively few with a ReplayTV (I got it when the prices were slashed but before they switched to a monthly payment option, so I got the best of both worlds there), and I love it, I can't imagine TV without it. I record every EPL game that is on throughout the week, and I have the convenience of watching whenever I get the chance. Also, I go to bed pretty early, 9pm, so it is a godsend to record the prime-time shows I like but am never able to watch. Also, with the 30-second skip feature, you can watch every play of a football game in less than an hour
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:55 AM   #46
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
TiVO vs. VCR:

VCR has MANY limits that the TiVO does not:

1) If you go on vacation for a week, can a VCR record the 3 or 4 one hour shows, a couple of sitcoms, and the sunday football game for you and have them ready for you when you get home? Nope, but TiVO can.

If I go on vacation and miss a tv show, so be it.

Quote:
2) Can a VCR automatically discern if the show is a repeat and therefore not record it and waste time? Nope, but TiVO can.

My time is not wasted if the show is a repeat. It's not like I'm sitting there cranking the wheels of the VCR to record it. And I don't think I've ever had the problem of wanting to record something and then it was a repeat so I wasted my time. Another useless feature for me (YMMV).

Quote:
3) Can a VCR know automatically that the show you normally record on Thursday at 8pm is showing on Wednesday at 8pm this week because of the NCAA Tournamant? Nope, but TiVO can.

Nope, but I can and I'm the one that sets the VCR.

Quote:
4) A TiVO allows you to have one unit with no media. If you were to record all of the TV shows you watch, ever so that you could fast forward and watch whenever you wanted, you would have to have VHS tapes out the wazooo. Plus the deteriation on VHS tapes is pretty bad.

I don't want to record all of the TV shows I ever watch. I just record things now and then.

Quote:
TiVO Creates a TV Slave:

I actually watch less TV than I used to, AND I do not watch any garbage. Before TiVO, I'd say, "oh, why don't I watch some TV". I'd turn it on, there'd be nothing on I'd want to watch, and I would just watch garbage waiting for the show I REALLY want to watch to come on. Then when "my show" came on, I would watch it even if I had other things to do. Now I sit down and watch "my show" whenever I want, plus fast forward through the commercials. So, it takes me less time to watch TV and when I only watch shows that I want to watch.

If what I want to watch isn't on, I find something constructive to do, not sit down and watch garbage. Maybe that is the difference.

Quote:

The investment is obscene:

In the longrun, it really is not. I have a 40 hour TiVo which has never been a space problem for me, even if I go a week or two without watching anything. I got a lifetime subscription. The way I figure it, it pays off against monthly after 3 years. I got a 4 year extended warranty in addition. So, this baby is planned to last me for atleast 4 years. at $550, it is a little less than $150 a year. That's not a bad investment for my money to have the convenience i have now and to not be a slave to the TV.

$150 a year is a lot of money for something I don't need.

Quote:

People who do not watch much TV have no use for TiVO:

I actually think these people have more reason to buy TiVO. Like I said above, now I do not have to schedule my life around TV for the shows that I do watch. So that what little time I do have dedicated to the TV, is quality time.

I still can't think of a single reason to buy tivo. If it was like $50 total I would consider it for the neato factor. As it is now, not a chance. If the features you listed are worth it to you, that's fine. I'm not saying they should be, but they are nothing special to me. In the rare cases where I want to record something and watch it later, again, my VCR does this job perfectly.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:05 AM   #47
wade moore
lolzcat

FWIW, Everyone I have spoken to thought the same as you Matt (including myself) before they had/experienced TiVO. It really (as silly as it sounds) changes your life unless you watch basically NO tv.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:14 AM   #48
Subby
lolzcat

MJ4H -

Don't even bother arguing against it. It will pwn you someday
Old 04-13-2004, 12:24 PM   #49
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Despite thinking it was the most useless invention ever, my wife bought TiVo for me so I would stop talking about it. Now she uses it much more than I do.

I think that says it all.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #50
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well, I'm afraid you aren't going to convince me to spend this ridiculous amount of money on something that I can't imagine needing. If you like it, fine. I can guarantee you it's not for me. I'm just not that interested in television.