Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WWII Buffs--Some Questions...

I am reading a neat little fact book on American history, and just got through the WWII section. Some questions occurred to me as I read it, and I was wondering if you history buffs could enlighten me:

1) Why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor when they did? What possible good does it do them to bring the U.S. into the war at this point? I would have thought it better to wait until the UK fell to Germany (assuming that would have eventually happened) and get an even stronger stronghold on China before tackling that monster (and hopefully with unhindered German aid).

2) Why Poland? I guess I don't get why Poland was the breaking point. England and France let Germany re-arm, let them annex Austria and then the Sudetenland. Why was Poland the straw?

3) Why does Hitler encourage his U-boats to attack U.S. shipping? Is it just because Roosevelt was supplying Britain with arms and supplies and what not? Germany had England in a bad spot, even with the failed (if brutal) air war. Hitler could have waited them out or even kept bombing (or waited for his V-rockets to develop). Kinda like Japan--why on Earth would Hitler want to bring the U.S. into the war (especially before finishing off England)?

4) I understand early on, ravaged by the just finished civil war, but why didn't the Nazi and Mussolini-supported fascist regime under Franco in Spain enter the war on the side of the Axis at some point? They were probably too torn apart to help with France in 1940, but might they not have had a big impact in North Africa in 1943, and in slowing down the Allied invasion in 1944?

5) Am I wrong in thinking France and the Low Countries are more or less flatlands? Why would Germany choose to make stands against invasion in these areas, instead of relying on the waterways like the Rhine as a defense point, or the Alps in the south?

6) Was it really just ego that led to Hitler invading the Soviet Union? I mean, how does someone who had done so well to that point make such a phenomenally stupid error?

7) Is it true that Roosevelt and the high commanders of the Navy were racist against Japanese to the point they actually legitamitely thought Japanese pilots would be too "near-sighted" to be effective pilots?

8) After the Allies took Sicily, didn't they pretty much control the Mediterranean seaways? Why did it take so long for the Allies to get through to the trapped beachhead at Anzio (and from land)? Hell, land more troops and break through that!

9) The U.S. had several strong victories in the sea against Japan around Coral Sea and Midway and were controlling most of the ocean war zone west of the Marianas and around Hawaii and Australia. So why weren't supplies able to get to American troops on Guadalcanal, such that they had to live off of local foliage for a while?

10) Why did the Allies massively bomb Dresden, which apparently had no strategic value whatsoever? The bombing campaigns against both Germany and Japan near the end of the war seemed particularly over-kill. Was it an "Eye for an Eye" attitude from the bombings of England and Pearl Harbor?

11) And speaking of bombings, did the canals in Tokyo really boil when the U.S. pretty much massively destroyed the city with a firebomb attack in 1945? And what on Earth were the Japanese thinking to not surrender right then and there (and instead put the U.S. in the position to choose to use the atomic bomb)?

All right, sorry to bug you guys. Just interested to know.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-13-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Best series on WW2 ever made is A&Es World at War narrated by Laurence Olivier. All these questions are answered in depth.

The answer to 10. yes
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels View Post
Best series on WW2 ever made is A&Es World at War narrated by Laurence Olivier. All these questions are answered in depth.

No way! An A&E TV special offers answers to all of these questions? In-depth????

Seriously. Do you have ADD? You seem to only read in soundbites or internet quips.

Chief, those are great questions. Sorry to threadjack. What was the book you read?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A bit much for me to tackle tonight, but I'll do a couple and answer more tomorrow if needed.

1) To some degree that's a mystery. There wasn't close communication between the Japanese and Germans, so it never was planned at that level. Although to be fair the Axis was never the tightly woven alliance that the Allies were. From what I've read there was a fear that Japan was going to get weaker due to a lack of oil and the U.S. was going to get stronger as we were tentatively making preparations for war. The number of roughly simultaneous attacks on U.S. interests were designed to force a quick compromise. Yamamoto was one of the only ones who saw the fatal miscalculation in that strategy.

3) Hitler felt the U.S. was aiding the Brits enough to be in a de facto state of war. One interesting counterfactual I read supposed that Hitler never declared war, but intensified U-Boat attacks. Would Roosevelt have been able to direct large amounts of resources to Europe without a formal declaration of war from Germany?

5) There was a major defensive line at the Rhine, but the occupied countries had to have strong garrison forces to keep them under control.. The Atlantic is also an excellent defensive barrier and Rommel believed that the only chance to stop an invasion was at the coast.

That should get things started.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
No way! An A&E TV special offers answers to all of these questions? In-depth????

Seriously. Do you have ADD? You seem to only read in soundbites or internet quips.

Chief, those are great questions. Sorry to threadjack. What was the book you read?

Allright jackmaster, this particular series is above and beyond the rest. No matter how well someone answers each and every question here, if Chief is really interested in the whole of the war this would be well worth his time.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Dont Know Much About History: Everything You Need to Know About American History But Never Learned by Kenneth C. Davis.

A terrific read. He started it in 1989, and has updated it since. I am reading the version that was updated up through the Sept 11 attacks.

WWII is where I am at right now (or just after), but the entire read from Columbus times forward has been enlightening.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's good, anything by Kenneth Davis will be readable and educational.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The answer to 10. yes

Thanks, Bubba! I'll take any answers or discussions here as well for the quick and easy, but I will certainly keep my eye out for that series. Is it the kind that A&E will throw out there again every now and then like on a Memorial Day weekend or am I better off trying to find it somewhere?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Chief, for #1, you could check out Chapter 22, "Who Was to Blame for Pearl Harbor" in the book, Unsolved Mysteries of American History by Paul Aron. Unless, of course, you would rather watch TV.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Thanks, Bubba! I'll take any answers or discussions here as well for the quick and easy, but I will certainly keep my eye out for that series. Is it the kind that A&E will throw out there again every now and then like on a Memorial Day weekend or am I better off trying to find it somewhere?

It does come along every once in a while, but the better bet might be trying to find it in the library. I got the series over the holidays as a gift, but its pretty steep at something like $100-$150. What I particularly like about it is that its minus any American bias (funny coming from me, right?) and its all from documentaries made at the time with sound effects dubbed in.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
A bit much for me to tackle tonight, but I'll do a couple and answer more tomorrow if needed.

1) To some degree that's a mystery. There wasn't close communication between the Japanese and Germans, so it never was planned at that level. Although to be fair the Axis was never the tightly woven alliance that the Allies were. From what I've read there was a fear that Japan was going to get weaker due to a lack of oil and the U.S. was going to get stronger as we were tentatively making preparations for war. The number of roughly simultaneous attacks on U.S. interests were designed to force a quick compromise. Yamamoto was one of the only ones who saw the fatal miscalculation in that strategy.

3) Hitler felt the U.S. was aiding the Brits enough to be in a de facto state of war. One interesting counterfactual I read supposed that Hitler never declared war, but intensified U-Boat attacks. Would Roosevelt have been able to direct large amounts of resources to Europe without a formal declaration of war from Germany?

5) There was a major defensive line at the Rhine, but the occupied countries had to have strong garrison forces to keep them under control.. The Atlantic is also an excellent defensive barrier and Rommel believed that the only chance to stop an invasion was at the coast.

That should get things started.

Thanks, JPhillips. Interesting responses. I can definitely see the oil issue in #1. I believe the States were the primary source for Japan's oil at that point, right? I know Roosevelt put a stop to that prior to Pearl Harbor (and also that Japan thought doing so was an act of war and a reason for the eventual attack).

I think if Japan really felt they could not defeat the U.S. except in that situation (at least in the short term), I would have thought it better to try to "cool" it with the Americans and strengthen their control in China, which I believe has a lot of natural resources. Of course, the U.S. was demanding Japan leave China, IIRC. So maybe one was not possible with the other.

Interesting what if on #3. No matter how Hitler "felt" about the U.S. attitude, it was just plain dumb for him to actually act to bring the U.S. into the war with the U-boat attacks and declaring war on the U.S. after Pearl Harbor. Although with continued U-boat attacks, I think Roosevelt would have ended up with the votes to finally break the isolationist hold on the country. Only option for Hitler, IMO (besides, oh I don't know, not invading the Soviet Union), would have been to cool it on the U-boat attacks and not give the U.S. reasons to get into the war than they already had.

So Rommel was a key factor in planning the Atlantic coast defense? I thought he was killed (executed) before DDay, but then I guess he could still have been part of the planning.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

re 1) Jphillips is essentially correct. The U.S. was fearful of Japan's expanding influence in Asia and was squeezing their oil supply. Japan was running out of oil to conduct their offensive operations in Asia, and saw a strike against the U.S. to back us off as their only possible option.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chief, for #1, you could check out Chapter 22, "Who Was to Blame for Pearl Harbor" in the book, Unsolved Mysteries of American History by Paul Aron. Unless, of course, you would rather watch TV.

Heh, I do both. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
1) Why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor when they did? What possible good does it do them to bring the U.S. into the war at this point? I would have thought it better to wait until the UK fell to Germany (assuming that would have eventually happened) and get an even stronger stronghold on China before tackling that monster (and hopefully with unhindered German aid).

The expectation was that by sinking the US fleet (or as much of it as possible) Japan would have an insurmountable Naval power advantage.

[quote=Chief Rum;1658850]2) Why Poland? I guess I don't get why Poland was the breaking point. England and France let Germany re-arm, let them annex Austria and then the Sudetenland. Why was Poland the straw?[/quote

I think the answer to this is partly that the political landscape had shifted in the UK.

Quote:
4) I understand early on, ravaged by the just finished civil war, but why didn't the Nazi and Mussolini-supported fascist regime under Franco in Spain enter the war on the side of the Axis at some point? They were probably too torn apart to help with France in 1940, but might they not have had a big impact in North Africa in 1943, and in slowing down the Allied invasion in 1944?

There was a lot of pressure from Germany and Italy, but Franco had a ton of internal problems. Had Spain tried to wage war, its likely that Civil War would have re-ignited at home.

Quote:
6) Was it really just ego that led to Hitler invading the Soviet Union? I mean, how does someone who had done so well to that point make such a phenomenally stupid error?

It was also hatred. One of Hitler's prime motivations was to crush the Bear.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Chief: Rommel built the Atlantic wall after he was assigned there in early 1944. He was alive on D-Day, but was away from the front. His absence contributed to a slow response from the Germans that may have sealed their fate. Rommel killed himself a few weeks after the invasion when he was caught up in the failed assassination plot.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
Izulde
Head Coach

[quote=Chief Rum;1658850]

Quote:

Long story short, there was a lot of argument and debate about this plan, with the Japanese High Admiral against it, because he recognized its pitfalls, and everyone else for it. From what I can remember (I'd have to find my notes somewhere), in addition to the politicking that surrounded it, the Japanese could very well have severely damaged the U.S. Navy had they turned around that day and gone back to finish the job at Pearl Harbor, because it was really only half-done.

I think part of the reason why the Japanese didn't wait was because they felt it was best to engineer a surprise attack on the US and hopefully knock them out of the war early, before the American war machine had a chance to get rolling.

Quote:
2) Why Poland? I guess I don't get why Poland was the breaking point. England and France let Germany re-arm, let them annex Austria and then the Sudetenland. Why was Poland the straw?

My guess would be that's the point where they finally realized that appeasement wouldn't work. Seriously though, I'm sure it's more complex than that... though I honestly can't remember when the shift from Chamberlin to Churchill happened in the UK.

Quote:

Icy could probably answer this better than I could, but my impression is Spain was so utterly devastated as a country by the Civil War that they were still in the act of getting back on their feet and stabilized.

Quote:

Resources. Conquer the Soviet Union and Germany's unstoppable because Russia was extremely rich in the resources needed to run a wartime economy.

Take all my answers with a giant grain of salt. It's been several years since I've had the in-depth course on World War II and I'm not a historian. But it's just some more food for thought.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Chief: Rommel built the Atlantic wall after he was assigned there in early 1944. He was alive on D-Day, but was away from the front. His absence contributed to a slow response from the Germans that may have sealed their fate. Rommel killed himself a few weeks after the invasion when he was caught up in the failed assassination plot.

Ah, I knew he died for his role in the plot (is that what Tom Cruise's new movie is based on, BTW?), but I thought he was executed, not committed suicide.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

[quote=st.cronin;1658883]
Quote:
2) Why Poland? I guess I don't get why Poland was the breaking point. England and France let Germany re-arm, let them annex Austria and then the Sudetenland. Why was Poland the straw?[/quote

I think the answer to this is partly that the political landscape had shifted in the UK.

Good answers all, tahnks, cronin. This particular one stands out for me. Chamberlain was a freakin' tool. Wasn't the invasion of Czechoslavakia, though, under Churchill?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #19
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Russia was always the big prize Hitler was going for, 'Living Space' for Germans. Everything else he took was just gravey and eliminating threats. France had the strongest army at the time and had to be neutralized. The oil in the caucuses was the thing Hitler was shooting for in the initial phase after invading Russia.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and if I don't respond directly, thanks to everyone who is responding. I am reading it all.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #21
st.cronin
General Manager

[quote=Chief Rum;1658893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Good answers all, tahnks, cronin. This particular one stands out for me. Chamberlain was a freakin' tool. Wasn't the invasion of Czechoslavakia, though, under Churchill?

I'm a little rusty, but I think Churchill didn't take power until after the invasion of POLAND.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #22
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Rape of Nanking also had alot to do with ratcheting up ill will between U.S. and Japan, may have been the thing causing the U.S. to cut off all oil shipments for good.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

Long story short, there was a lot of argument and debate about this plan, with the Japanese High Admiral against it, because he recognized its pitfalls, and everyone else for it. From what I can remember (I'd have to find my notes somewhere), in addition to the politicking that surrounded it, the Japanese could very well have severely damaged the U.S. Navy had they turned around that day and gone back to finish the job at Pearl Harbor, because it was really only half-done.

I think part of the reason why the Japanese didn't wait was because they felt it was best to engineer a surprise attack on the US and hopefully knock them out of the war early, before the American war machine had a chance to get rolling.

Thanks, Izulde! Now this is food for thought.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it early in that Pacific war that naval strategic thinking took a shift from battleship-strength to carrier-based air warfare? Who would have better known that at that time than Japan with all their carriers stock full of Zeros?

So, given that, why would they think going after Battleship Row was key, when most of the US carriers were out on the seas that day? Did they just somehow underestimate how much the carriers would matter? Or did they have bad intel and thought the carriers would be there?

Really, when you look at it from a strategic standpoint, Japan's attack on foreign holdings in the Pacific (not just Pearl Harbor) on December 7 was masterfully done. I have to think only DDay was better planned (at least from my limited perspective) throughout that war and maybe in mankind's history.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #24
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Churchill did not become prime minister until after the invasion of France.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Rape of Nanking also had alot to do with ratcheting up ill will between U.S. and Japan, may have been the thing causing the U.S. to cut off all oil shipments for good.

Yes, I believe my book mentioned that the U.S. cutting off the oil and its demands for Japan to leave Manchuria came at about the same time, shortly after that massacre.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

[quote=dacman;1658904]
Quote:

Churchill did not become prime minister until after the invasion of France.

Yup, you're right. May 10, 1940. The same day Germany entered the Low Countries.

Well, at least Chamberlain had the sack to actually declare war at some point.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #27
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it early in that Pacific war that naval strategic thinking took a shift from battleship-strength to carrier-based air warfare? Who would have better known that at that time than Japan with all their carriers stock full of Zeros?

So, given that, why would they think going after Battleship Row was key, when most of the US carriers were out on the seas that day? Did they just somehow underestimate how much the carriers would matter? Or did they have bad intel and thought the carriers would be there?

Really, when you look at it from a strategic standpoint, Japan's attack on foreign holdings in the Pacific (not just Pearl Harbor) on December 7 was masterfully done. I have to think only DDay was better planned (at least from my limited perspective) throughout that war and maybe in mankind's history.

It was more dumb luck from what I remember that the carriers weren't in the harbor that day, which I suppose would technically fall under bad intel. I seem to remember something about the Pearl Harbor attack being only half-done in addition, and that had they gone back (and I think there may have been a directive to go back), there were more ships available in the harbor to go and wipe out.

So yeah, they did well, but they missed the opportunity to do a -lot- better.

I'll see if I can find my notes from that lecture on my old laptop when I'm back in my hometown come mid-late March.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #28
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

If Bubba is talking about the one I'm thinking of, it was made long before A&E. I remember seeing the series on public television back in the late 70's. It really was a very good one.

As for books and insights, Shirer's books are really a good read and very informative (he was a reporter based in Germany in the 30's and saw the rise of Hitler from there). Of course, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is a must.

It's been awhile since I studied WWII. I'll have to think about some of these questions.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #29
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:

No that was a gift to Hitler from Chamberlain. Churchill was againstthe dismemberment of Czechoslovakia.

In regards to Franco and Spain, He wanted a huge amount of war material and other sundry supplies which Hitler did not have at that moment.He did not get his toys so he refused to more closely ally with the Axis. But Franco did let the 250th "Blue" division
fight on the Russian Front.

One other reason Franco was playing hardball with Hitler might have had to do with Roman-Catholicism. I also read somewhere that Franco had a Jewish ancestor

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 02-14-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #30
bhlloy
Coordinator

To add to what people have already said about invading Russia, one of the core Nazi ideologies was Lebensraum (living room) in the east and spreading the Aryan race there (Slavs/Russians were considered an inferior race). It was only a matter of time, which makes Stalin even more stupid for refusing to believe that it was going to happen.

If it had been planned in detail and allowances made for the fact that it was impossible to keep advancing during the winter months, I think that the Germans easily could have held onto the bit of Russia that is worth holding onto. Thankfully Hitler wasn't big on the details

As for choosing to defend France, it is my understanding that against an unlimited number of Russians from the east and a very well thought out Allied plan, the Germans only hope was to drive the Allies back into the sea. The Rhine wouldn't have been much good against the army of millions pouring in from the other side. Hitler's only hope was to defeat the Allies quickly in France, and then shift his entire army to the Russian front and try to stem the bleeding there. Of all Hitler's whacky decisions, this one probably makes quite a bit of sense.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 AM   #31
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
10) Why did the Allies massively bomb Dresden, which apparently had no strategic value whatsoever? The bombing campaigns against both Germany and Japan near the end of the war seemed particularly over-kill. Was it an "Eye for an Eye" attitude from the bombings of England and Pearl Harbor?

The Allies didn't bomb Dresden any harder then normal. The conditions happen to be perfect to raise a fire storm (same thing the happened at Tokyo). The British were trying to do this every raid but only succeeded at Dresden. The flames were so intense it caused an updraft with hurricane force winds. It sucked everything in and burned the city to the ground.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:30 AM   #32
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
5) Am I wrong in thinking France and the Low Countries are more or less flatlands? Why would Germany choose to make stands against invasion in these areas, instead of relying on the waterways like the Rhine as a defense point, or the Alps in the south?

At that point in the war Hitler had already lost touch with reality and ordered the arm fight for every inch of ground. He would not let them retreat to better defensible locations.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I seem to remember something about the Pearl Harbor attack being only half-done in addition, and that had they gone back (and I think there may have been a directive to go back) ...

Here's a link to a thread about why there was no third wave, and early in the thread is a link to a couple of other discussions about that as well as a link or two to more on that subject.

Also, it's generally believed that Rommel was "allowed" to commit suicide, although a couple of alternate versions say he was quietly & quickly executed. Here's one account of the suicide version.
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/rommel.htm

IIRC, the official cause of death was natural causes & he was given a state funeral as part of the coverup of the assassination plot, although the extent of his role (and whether it extended anywhere beyond having some knowledge of the plot & taking no action to stop it) has never really been clear.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-14-2008 at 01:03 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #34
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am reading a neat little fact book on American history, and just got through the WWII section. Some questions occurred to me as I read it, and I was wondering if you history buffs could enlighten me:

Several reasons. First, Japan needed natural resources, primarily oil to continue operations against anyone, even China. So they decided that they would take over the Dutch East Indies which had quite a bit of oil. However, they knew any aggression in that realm would bring us into the fray. So their decision was to launch a series of surprise attacks and try to catch us, the Dutch, and England with our pants down.

Second, they needed to do things quickly before the oil embargo truly made its presence felt even more than it already had.

Quote:

Because they had a treaty with Poland. I can't remember if there were any treaties with Czechoslovakia, but there were treaties that both England and France had with Poland that brought them into the war. Hitler was actually shocked as well that they actually decided to go to war over Poland.

Quote:
3) Why does Hitler encourage his U-boats to attack U.S. shipping? Is it just because Roosevelt was supplying Britain with arms and supplies and what not? Germany had England in a bad spot, even with the failed (if brutal) air war. Hitler could have waited them out or even kept bombing (or waited for his V-rockets to develop). Kinda like Japan--why on Earth would Hitler want to bring the U.S. into the war (especially before finishing off England)?

Hitler had some complicated views on the US. However, don't forget that Roosevelt was actively trying to get the US into the war. Roosevelt was pretty high handed in his dealings vis a vis England and Germany. Additionally, the only hope that Germany had of taking England out was with U-boats. If they did not sink all shipping enroute to England, it wouldn't really be bad for England. They could just put all their goods bound for England on US boats.

Quote:

Dunno, but I'm not so sure that Spain would not have been an even greater liability from the standpoint of a negative front.

Quote:

Yes and no. In Italy, the Germans did a great job of holding us up, although we had our B-team down there. However, we never tried to cross the French Alps. Operation Anvil charged up the Rhone valley and linked up with the Overlord forces in Fall of 44. After Overlord, the Germans kept us tied up in the Bocage region of Normandy for quite a while. We did not really break out of Normandy until Operation Cobra. The Germans might have been able to set up a cohesive defensive line at that point, but Hitler ordered the Mortain offensive which we were able to blunt and then launch a riposte that trapped a good amount of German forces in the resulting Falaise Gap.

Quote:

He always planned on attacking Russia and correctly pegged Russia as the great enemy of Europe. However, his mistake was refusing to come as a liberator which would have ignited all of the Ukraine and White Russia against Russia itself, but instead as a conqueror. Read some early accounts of Barbarossa and the Germans were originally greeted warmly by the peasants in those areas because Stalin's regime was so hated. It was only when the KGB started partisan actions behind the lines and the German retaliations against the peasants that the war took on the tenor it did for the Russians.

Quote:
8) After the Allies took Sicily, didn't they pretty much control the Mediterranean seaways? Why did it take so long for the Allies to get through to the trapped beachhead at Anzio (and from land)? Hell, land more troops and break through that!

Poor generalship on the part of the Allies. Once they got a fighting general in there they broke out in short order. When they first landed Lucas had a golden opportunity, but he hesitated and squandered it. It wasn't until Truscott was put in command that things started to go well for us.

Quote:
9) The U.S. had several strong victories in the sea against Japan around Coral Sea and Midway and were controlling most of the ocean war zone west of the Marianas and around Hawaii and Australia. So why weren't supplies able to get to American troops on Guadalcanal, such that they had to live off of local foliage for a while?

We did not have that many carriers in the area due to a variety of factors. However, the big factor was that the night after the landings (may have been a day or two later) there was a night battle off Savo Island. We lost an entire cruiser squadron that was defending the transports. The transports were so valuable and in such short supply (which persisted through quite a bit of the war) that the decision was made to pull the transports out.

Quote:

The Dresden bombing has had a variety of back and forth about whether or not it was justified. At the time, our military intelligence indicated that it had a fair number of factories (over 100) producing a variety of military goods. It was also the largest unbombed city in the Reich. There were also some highways and railroads in the area which it was believed help cut down on troop movements if they were hit.

The bombing on Japan was a little different. I think that some of that was based upon hatred from Pearl Harbor. However, the military doctrine of the time held that civilians were viable targets of war because they were supporting the war effort. The problem in Japan was that many of the buildings were made of wood, and the firebombing was particularly devastating due to this fact.

Quote:
11) And speaking of bombings, did the canals in Tokyo really boil when the U.S. pretty much massively destroyed the city with a firebomb attack in 1945? And what on Earth were the Japanese thinking to not surrender right then and there (and instead put the U.S. in the position to choose to use the atomic bomb)?

All right, sorry to bug you guys. Just interested to know.

From what I read not only did the canals boil, but people would spontaneously burst into flames it was so hot. The Japanese people were unaware that they were losing the war. The High Command knew they were losing, but did not want to admit defeat, for a large number of reasons. They felt that we would not be willing to invade Japan itself, and even if we did, we would suffer horrendous losses and give up. Others felt that it was everyone's duty in Japan to fight to the end. A lot of this thought came out of some pretty wacked ideas of the bastardized Code of Bushido that many of the Japanese High Command believed in at the time.

Anyway, I hoped this helped some. I know some of the stuff is a little disjointed, but its almost 3:00AM and I'm tired and I don't feel like looking everything up so much of this is off the top of my head.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #35
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

One more answer. The Japanese didn't think that the carriers were the main striking force of the fleet. However, it would be ideal for a surprise attack. However, you did have a faction of the Combined Fleet command that did believe that the carrier forces were the wave of the future. That is why they spent so many resources on the Yamato and the Musashi even after the death-knell of the battleship at Pearl Harbor and Taranto (in the Med).

They were not worried about hitting the carriers at Pearl because they did not think they were the primary targets. The primary targets were the ships of the Pacific Fleet battleline.

It was not until later that the importance of carriers was realized by both sides. Let's not forget, Yamamoto's response to losing 4 carriers at Midway was to send in the main body of the Combined Fleet after Spruance. It was only because Spruance sailed east that there was no surface action at Midway.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #36
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

There are some very interesting answers, but I want to give my view. Sorry for my bad English. Of course they are my opinions.

1-The embargo was crushing the Japanese economy. They had two ways, attack the US and get the resources of the Western Indias or give up in China. They couldn’t wait more to attack.

2-Hitler thought that England and France wouldn’t fight for Poland, as they didn’t for Austria or Czechoslovakia. Also one of the main points of the Hitler’s vision was the expansion to the east. Poland refuse to cooperate with Hitler, so the confrontation was inevitable.

3-Hitler was a gambler. He thought that he broke the English resistance the US couldn’t do nothing against a Nazi Europe. He judged that US was 2-3 years away to be a military power so, if he had broke the English in this time, the US would have so few chances to beat the Nazis in Europe.

4-Two main reasons. Franco was a righ-wing dictator, but he wasn’t nazi, so he wasn’t linked in ideology with the nazis. The second one is that Franco wanted too much (all the North of Africa) and give too little. Spain was in shambles, as the postwar was even tougher for us than the war, so the capacity to fight of the army was very limited.

5-Hitler had an all-out mentality in the military sphere. He always wanted to make stands instead to retire and regroup (just look at the Russian campaigns). He wont give up land without fights, so he ended losing the land and the armies.

6-It was an error? Just look the map of 1941. Germany controlled all the industries of Europe, from Burdeaux to Warsaw, from Hamburg to Rome. The USSR was recovering of the Stalin Purges, while the German Army seems unstoppable. In 1941 any military advisor will give more chances to the nazis that to the Red Army.

However there were two factors that change the correlation of forces.

a-As has said Warhammer the nazis acted like conquerors, like cruel conquerors. It changed the way the Russians saw the war. They saw the war as a “rapping” of his Rodina (motherland) so they were ready to make any sacrifices (in the front and in the backyard) to defeat the attack. I think no nation has suffered more in a war that the Russians here, but they never thought on give up.

b-The Nazi economy was really inefficient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_...g_World_War_II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_...g_World_War_II

From this page you can see the best point of production of tanks in Germany was in 1944, when it was already lost. If they had been more efficient since the beginning of the war, they could have had more panzerdivisions, to make “more” things.

In the other hand the “reds” lost total or partially his 3 biggest cities (Moscow, Kiev and Leningrad) but they produced lots and lots of weapons, airplanes and tanks. Maybe they were worse (it can be discussed) but they maintain the edge.

7-I don’t know.

8- The (western) allies tried to minimize the errors, so they move too slow in almost every chance.

9-I don`t know.

10-The strategic bombing has been very discussed. I believe it was part of “eye for eye” and part a try to break the moral and the economic viability of Germay. Also it has to be considered that the strategic bombing was something to appease Stalin that US and UK was doing something real against the nazis while the USSR was bleeding.

11-Warhammer has read my thoughts. :P
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #37
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

By no means an expert but I'll take a crack at the questions to the best of my understanding. I apologize if my answers were already given as I have not read through the thread entirely yet. I also do not claim that these answers are entirely correct as I am basing them off what I have read, seen or using my own logic to try to ascertain.

The US was not exactly feared by Japan at that time (or Germany for that matter as Hitler saw the racial diversity of the US as a weakness) and there was a feeling that a strike at Pearl Harbor could critically wound the US forces to the extent that the public reaction would be that of fear instead of revenge. This seemed to be the same mistake that was made prior to the 9/11 attacks.

Not completely sure on this one except to say there had to be a last straw somewhere and I think this was more of a final reailization of just how much of a monster had been created (though the true extent may not have been idscovered for some time).

The US public did not want a war prior to Pearl Harbor and was not greatly on the side of supporting England in the war as the public belief was more that of isolationism. Roosevelt was stretching the envelope for support to England for what the public wanted (they were coming out of the depression and did not want war, though ironically it turned into what the doctor ordered) by what he was sending to England. Making any kind of major "stink" about the U-Boats would also reveal the extent of support we were giving England. Kind of like sneaking into the cookie jar and having it fall on your toe, you can't cry out to your mother without letting her know what you were actually doing.

Not familiar enough with the hisotyr at that time in Spain to answer this one.

Using the natural defenses of the shore made sense as it helps if you can keep the enemy off the continent all-together at that point. Giving up the French shore gives the allies a closer point to organize their defenses. Once the coasrt had been breached they began moving back to the defense of the Seigfried line to sure up their defenses. Their major mistake was already made by attacking Russia and opening up fronts on both sides and thus weakening their defense against a Western push.

Only opinion but I believe it was ego and the belief that he and his people were far superior to the Russians. He seemed to have little regard for the Russians and saw them as inferior anyway so it fits with the rest of his maniacal plan of the 1000 year reich.

7) Is it true that Roosevelt and the high commanders of the Navy were racist against Japanese to the point they actually legitamitely thought Japanese pilots would be too "near-sighted" to be effective pilots?

Maybe to some extent.

I believe some of that was over-confidence by the commanders at that time. I think that the early failures at Anzio may have helped with the planning of Normandy, including the much improved use of the pre-invasion airborne drop (though that didn't exactly go as planned either).

Not really sure on this one.

This partly depends on who you talk to. One defnese of this bombing says that the Russians asked for the allies to disrupt an and all German movement and communications and there was a major rail terminal in Dresden thus it became a target. The sad part of that is that one of the trains within the city at that time had a cargo of PoW's and not was supplies. That trains was strafed and many PoW's were killed in the raid, unknown by the pilots or high command at that time. Another theory is that it was just the next in line of cities to attack as the allies had leveled many of the German cities already. What did come ouut of this is that there was an order issued to no longer area bomb a city in which a clear military objective cannot be demonstrated.

Not sure about the canals but for the not surrenduring, there was a large contingency of the Japanese army that had strong beliefs of honor and duty and thought that surrendering was a fate worse than death. There was a coupe underway among many of those in command to take over the country from the emporer and not allow a surrender as recent as the night before the surrender (even after the two atomic bombs were dropped). I try not to use normal logic to think though this situation as there was a completely different belief system held by many of the Japanese at that time (just trying to fathom the idea of the Kamakazee pilots does not compute by my logic but they had a strong belief in what they were doing).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #38
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

It was the ongoing debate on pretty much both sides. You had your progressives who were already seriously pushing air supremacy, and you had your old guard who believed in the battleships.

As far as the carriers not being at Pearl, it was either dumb luck, or, if you are a conspiracy theorist, it was the US keeping their most important resources out of harms way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
They felt that we would not be willing to invade Japan itself, and even if we did, we would suffer horrendous losses and give up. Others felt that it was everyone's duty in Japan to fight to the end. A lot of this thought came out of some pretty wacked ideas of the bastardized Code of Bushido that many of the Japanese High Command believed in at the time.

We would of, we had plans to do it, but it would have been nasssssty. Amusingly, the old Sierra flight sim game Aces of the Pacific released an expansion that dealt with the what-ifs of Operation Olympic (invasion of southern Japan from Okinawa). Estimated millions dead on both sides, as Japanese resistance, particularly from civilians, would have likely been utterly brutal.

Amusingly, the (likely correct) perception of just how ungodly of defence the general populace would be was said to have dissuaded the Japanese from serious plans of a mainland invasion of the US.

edit: Wiki has a pretty good writeup on the plans for the invasion of Japan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-14-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #39
wishbone
High School JV

Quote:
1)Why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor when they did? What possible good does it do them to bring the U.S. into the war at this point? I would have thought it better to wait until the UK fell to Germany (assuming that would have eventually happened) and get an even stronger stronghold on China before tackling that monster (and hopefully with unhindered German aid).

I recently read "At Dawn We Slept", a book about the Pearl Harbor attack and would agree that Japan felt a lot of pressure to attack du to their supply of oil and steel. Japan had less than 1 year or oil reserves in late 1941 and felt that they would continually get weaker while the US got stronger. Japan also felt that it was their time to join the major or elite nations and be a worldwide power. Conflict with the US was an inevitable part of their expansion into SE Asia and attacking at Pearl Harbor would temporarily allow them to move at will. To a certain extent, Japan beleieved itself to be in a position where they could not meet the goals they had as a country without a US conflict. There was some hope that they could take control of SE Asia and that other countries would not fight, but I think that Japan knew what they wanted and knew there would be consequences but believed they could still win.

Quote:

I don't think this is true. There were negative stereotypes that may have been believed by some of the public but many people knew that Japan had been fighting in China for several years and had fought Russia surprisingly well in the early 1900s. There was also genuine friendships between high-ranking Japanese and Americans who had gone to school together or worked together.

Quote:

I think that in the Navy at that time especially, captains were unable or unwilling to see the big picture. There were constant communication issues due to the need for secrecy or human frailty. At Guadalcanal, the Navy feared heavy Japanese attack and withdrew before unloading their supplies. Luckily, the Japanese had abandoned large amounts of food and equipment that the Americans were able to use.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #40
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

It comes down to doctrine. There were forward-thinkers on both sides who knew that carriers were the future of naval warfare, but the high command on both sides still thought that the battleship was the king of the seas. In fact, up until Yamamoto was placed in charge of naval operations, the Japanese plan was to force the US fleet to run a gauntlet of light surface forces, subs, and land based airstrikes by luring them into a decisive battle (see BB vs. BB) in the waters close to Japan. This made the battleships the prime targets of the strike. It wasn't until after Pearl Harbor, and the loss of both Prince of Wales and Repulse, that it became clear to the world that airpower was the greatest force multiplier.
Yamamoto lamented the fact that he wasn't able to take out the carriers as well as the battleships, but the success of the attack did put the US on the defensive for the first six months of the war.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #41
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

We would of, we had plans to do it, but it would have been nasssssty. Amusingly, the old Sierra flight sim game Aces of the Pacific released an expansion that dealt with the what-ifs of Operation Olympic (invasion of southern Japan from Okinawa). Estimated millions dead on both sides, as Japanese resistance, particularly from civilians, would have likely been utterly brutal.

My great-uncle still to this day thanks Truman for dropping the bomb on Japan. He was going to be on the first wave that was going to invade Japan.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-14-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #42
Icy
Pro Starter

[quote=Apathetic Lurker;1658966]
Quote:
In regards to Franco and Spain, He wanted a huge amount of war material and other sundry supplies which Hitler did not have at that moment.He did not get his toys so he refused to more closely ally with the Axis. But Franco did let the 250th "Blue" division
fight on the Russian Front.

One other reason Franco was playing hardball with Hitler might have had to do with Roman-Catholicism. I also read somewhere that Franco had a Jewish ancestor

Agree with it. The thing is that Franco wanted to be in full partnership with Hitler and Mussolini, splitting the conquest world in 3 parts. Hitler laughed at him as he knew Spain was devastated by the civil war, so while being a good strategical ally in the Mediterranean, Spain had not the resources to really help Germany so for sure Hitler didn't want to give Franco what he was asking for. It's said that Franco asked for too much knowing that Hitler would say no, as Franco knew that is was not a good idea to enter in the war after our own civil one.

The 250 "Blue" division was an all volunteer division (18,000 men) sent from Spain to help Hitler. Franco's condition was that the 250 would only fight against he Russian communist and never in the West front. As they were really experienced in real battles (and Hitler didn't want any foreign to get part of the victory glory), they were sent to the toughest area of the East Front.

In 1943 after the tight pressure from the Allies and from the Catholic church, Franco ordered the 250 to withdraw and go back to Spain, they refused, and Franco threatened them that if they didn't, they would lose the Spanish citizenships. As most of them were fanatics, only 3,000 came back and the rest decided to join the German SS losing the Spanish citizenship and dying later in the front. Around to 400 of them were made prisoners by the Russians and were kept in a Russian camp until well past the war, 1954.

Yes, i'm a sucker for all the WWII related stuff

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #43
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Don't forget ludicrous racism worked both ways in WWII. I've read in several recent Pac War histories that the reason the Japs never tried to develop radar was that they believed they had better night vision than whites and so had a dramatic advantage in night naval actions because they could see the American ships while being 'invisible' to the Americans.

Amazing.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #44
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

A few points about Hitler and Stalin:

Even after the treaty, neither trusted the other. Hitler attacked when he did because his spies told him the Soviets were getting ready to invade him. There is considerable evidence that Stalin did intend this attack because of the positions of the Soviet forces when the Germans attacked. Most of the Soviet army and airforce were in forward positions, ones that made sense only if an attack were planned. This is one of the reasons the Germans were able to roll through and cutoff hundreds of thousands of Soviet soldiers and destroy much of the Soviet air force on the ground.

The Balkan campaign delayed the start of the Russian invasion, but Hitler knew he couldn't wait another year becasue the Soviets were growing in strength and intent on getting him.

Having finished rereading 'Hitler Moves East' by the German writer Paul Carrell (a classic, do what you can to find it) I'm up on Carrell's analysis that the reason the Germans lost in 1942 was Hitler's decision to keep a number of top notch armored units in France to protect against an Allied invasion that could not possible have come. If these units had been employed around Stalingrad (instead forcing of Hoth, Paulus et al. to rely on Rumanian and Italian formations that were underquipped) that city likely would not have been surrounded and the German offensive into the Caucasus would likely have siezed the oil fields aroung Maykop and threatened the oil in the Middle East.

That well could have been the end of Stalin and the Soviets.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #45
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Landing craft and reserves were being held in England for Overlord. That's also a key reason that the US didn't push forward more in the Pacific. Overlord came first, everything else was second.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #46
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I always thought that Austria and the Sudetenland were seen as more acceptable because the people there were German.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #47
Autumn
Head Coach

People have touched on it above, but I think one important point on several of the questions is to remember not to look at history with hindsight. Doing so it seems crazy for Japan and Germany to wake the sleeping U.S.A. But that is because we know what happened, and how successfuly we were able to mobilize a war industry, a volunteer army and a fierce commitment to the war. Beforehand none of this was to be assumed, the U.S. was not considered the world power that we became due to it. They did not think they were waking a sleeping giant, but rather smacking the dog's nose to keep him out of it.

As for Hitler's reasoning, I can't recommend more reading some of the biographies and insider memoirs on him. Particularly Albert Speer's book gives you such an amazing insight into what was going on behind the scenes, and how Hitler thought.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #48
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Coral Sea wasn't exactly a huge victory. We thwarted Japanese invasion plans, but lost the Saratoga in the process. Midway was a huge victory, as we destroyed 4 Japanese carriers, but again we lost one of our own (Yorktown). Midway ended Japanese Carrier dominance, but they still had a massive edge in surface ships, which caused real problems for us gaining an edge at Guadalcanal. The initiative had switched to us at this point in the war, but we didn't yet have the tools to take charge.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 02-15-2008 at 07:25 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #49
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

you should ask Bucc these questions. He fought in WWII
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #50
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
you should ask Bucc these questions. He fought in WWII

That's not true.

I am a veteran of the Army of the Potomac.