Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
Its Vanilla
High School JV

Post ¡Bienvenidos a Tropico!

Welcome to my first dynasty that I'll be posting on this forum. Instead of using a sports simulation, I'm using PopTop's Tropico. I'm somewhat surprised that no one has done this yet.

The Beginning:

The year was 1948. I had recently graduated from Harvard and relocated to a small island in the Carribean, known as Tropico. I soon realized that there was much discontent among its peoples. In 1949, the "Tropicans" rose up and overthrew their government. They decided to elect a new leader. That's where I come in.

After campaigning for the island's 70 citizen's, I was elected president in 1950.

Here's a little info on my backround:

I started out with only $10,000, 70 people and 1 soldier, Jaime Alonso. My palace was constructed in the capital of the country, Campinas. There are only 2 cities currently on the island, Campinas, and a small farming town known as Jucaro.

My first official action as president of Tropico was to change the crop of 2 of the island's farms from Corn to Pineapples. This would make me some money from exports. In June, construction on the island's 1st Tenement began. In September, I enacted a Food for the People edict.

Here's how the island looked at that point:

Not much in the way of anything happened until 1953. To make the game a little more difficult, I must call for elections every 4 years. I called for the election in 1953 and found out I was running against Dan Olson. In April of 1954, I defeated him in the election, 39-24. 1954 also saw the completion of the 1st Health Clinic on the island. In September of 1955, I finally answered the religious faction's pleas and construction on a church was complete. A highschool is currently under construction.

Here are some current pictures of the island:

Its Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:09 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Excellent. The pictures are great. I liked this game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

One (maybe two) were done back when the game first came out. I think Morgado did one.

Anyway, nice to see another one, and I will try to follow along. Good luck.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:49 AM   #4
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Thumbs up

SWEET!! I've been meaning to get this game and try it out for sometime. This thread should be very cool..

Keep the posts coming Van
Old 01-25-2003, 12:05 PM   #5
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Are you using the expanision pack? I love this game.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 12:16 PM   #6
Its Vanilla
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Are you using the expanision pack? I love this game.

No, I'm still using the original game. I had hoped to get Paradise Island, but I can find it anywhere. Mucho Macho may or may not run on my computer. I was going to get it last night, but Best Buy closed before I got there.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:33 PM   #7
Its Vanilla
High School JV

1957: Un paso pequeño...

1957 will go down as a big year in the history of Tropico. Using huge farming profits from 1956(appoximately $20,000), I was able to begin construction on a few buildings and make some investments into the future of my country.

Early in the year, construction on 3 bunkhouses was completed. They are just a temporary housing solution until I can get some apartments and regular houses built. And before that happens, I need to build up my infrastructure.

Here are the beautiful new bunkhouses:

I also had enough money to begin construcion on an apartment building. I'm hoping with its completion, the communists will stop complaining about living in shacks.

I also made plans for a couple roads, to make it easier for the teamsters to haul my crops to the docks.

And to ease fears on crime, I began construction on a police station.

Here are my constuction projects:

In other construction news, Tropico's first school was finally completed this year. I can now educate citizens to a highschool level, meaning I won't have to pay to bring them into my country. Also with the completion of the school, I enacted a Literacy Program edict to raise the intelligence of my people.

The school:

Reacting to complaints from the religious and military factions, I brought in a foreign priest and soldier. A teacher will arrive next year. Pay was also increased across the board to improve job ratings and people's happiness.

In May, I called for the second election of my term. A farmer from outer Campinas was announced as my opposition.

Here is my opponent, Lucho Guerra:

It is no surprise that he is from the religious faction, as they don't like me very much, although I have made some progress with them.

Polls didn't look too good for me in May, it looked like it was going to be a close race. But, as the year went on and my projects were completed, my support base grew.

Here are the polls as of December 1957:

And finally, my general overview. Profits were down from last year, but that was expected with all of the spending on construction. Worker pay, happiness, and respect for me are all up, which is a good sign.

The overview:
Old 01-26-2003, 11:51 AM   #8
Patman
n00b

I remember the first Tropico dynasty awhile ago and it led me to buy the game. This looks like it could be a fun read and maybe it will make me find my copy and try the game again.
Dying peace in me and you
Locked in a place where no one goes.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:26 PM   #9
AdmiralACF
n00b

I'm a big Tropico fan myself. Just got the expansion this Christmas. It's got some cool new stuff, except when your island gets hit by a hurricane three times in five years! That's a pain, let me tell you. Fortunately, that's only happened once.

General Manager, Oklahoma Twisters
Appalachian League South Champions: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Appalachian League Champions: 2004, 2005
Pioneers of the Diamond Baseball
AdmiralACF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:01 AM   #10
Its Vanilla
High School JV

I've been looking for Paradise Island for a couple weeks but can't seem to find it. All I've seen is Mucho Macho. I'm not sure if my computer will run it though. It says the minimum requirements are PII 200mhz. I have a PI 233mhz.
Codge Daravan - #35 Sirius Satellite Radio Monte Carlo SS
-Season 16 Daytona 500 Champion
Hans Bermuda - #37 Mr. Sparkle Monte Carlo SS
-For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:15 AM   #11
Its Vanilla
High School JV

1958: Un año excitar y aburrido...

1958 started out strong, in the midst of an election. I continued to win people over to my side by raising pay and creating jobs with the construction of new buildings.

In February, the first Police Station ever on the island of Tropico was completed. It remained empty until March, when I decided to send for a foreign policeman.

The Station:

The year continued to go strong and in May, the polls opened for the election. I will let the following picture explain the results.

The votes are in:

With the victory, I felt a little more confident in my abilities to rule. However, not much happened the rest of the year. Construction finally started on the apartment complex in early June. By the end of the year, it still hasn't been completed.

In August I issued an order for the construction of a bank. I am hoping that this will begin a great wave of tourist related construction. Plus, it will also allow me to bribe people, should the need arise.

The Bank:

Here is Tropico at the end of 1958:

And finally, my Financial overview:
Old 02-01-2003, 11:02 PM   #12
Its Vanilla
High School JV

1959-1960: Ay Carumba...

I bought the Mucho Macho expansion pack today. While clearing Hard Drive space, I accidently deleted everything from my 1959 and 1960 updates.

Not much happened though, so it's not a total loss. Constructions were completed and profits were way down. Nothing new was started due to the poor economic situation. The only picture I have is of the 1959 overview.

Old 02-02-2003, 01:11 PM   #13
Its Vanilla
High School JV

1961-1966: De puntos bajos a los colmos ...

I apologize for this 5 year update with very few pictures. I lost most of my hard drive space to the expansions and have had to put the pictures on a disk, at very low quality.

1961:

1961 began with me enacting a Social Security edict. This will raise respect for me among the unemployed and retired.

In May, construction was ordered on a 2nd apartment building. This will hopefully ease complaining from the communist faction, although I am closer to the capitalists.

July saw the calling for my 3rd election while in office. Once again, I'll be running against Lucho Guerra. Initial polls have me ahead 63-12.

August 1961 will forever be known as a low point in Tropican history. It was the first time ever that the treasury dipped below $0, and it would signal the beginning of a depression.

1961 Overview:

Average Pay: $9.37
Happiness: 50
Citizens: 122
Profits: $1,841
Expenses: $-7,267

*-This was not good. The profits from 1960 were at $-554.

1962:

Nothing much happened in 1962, due to the low treasury.

In April, the apartment complex was completed, allowing the housing of 6 more families.

In July, the election came and went uneventfully. I defeated Mr. Guerra for a 2nd time, with the votes coming in at 61 for me, 13 for Lucho.

December saw the only construction for the year, as I ordered the building of 2 bunkhouses.

1962 Overview:

Average Pay: $9.57
Happiness: 51
Citizens: 123
Profits: $5,280
Expenses: $-984

1963:

I began 1963 hoping to get Tropico out of its 2 year depression. This was not going to be easy. I had decided that I would finally start building my tourism industry. My original plan was to start in 1960, but things didn't pan out.

Early in the year, the 2 bunkhouses were completed.

Not much else happened. In April, I ordered the construction of a Hotel. It was completed in December. That's it.

1963 Overview:

Average Pay: $9.64
Happiness: 51
Citizens: 122
Tourism Rating: 42
Profits: $2,590
Expenses: $-4,693

1964:

1963 saw some improvement in the economic situation, but not as much as I'd hoped. The hotel took longer than expected to complete, so it saw no income.

In February, I began construction on a beach site and a duty free shop.

In April, things began to look up. Then I got a letter. It was from Roberto Guerra, the leader of the Communist faction. He was complaining about the lack of housing. So in June, I ordered construction on a bunkhouse and a house.

Something unexpected happened in August. My beach site was destroyed. I don't know how it happened. Since they are inexpensive, I ordered the construction of another one.

The house I ordered built in June was finished in October.

November saw a possible turning point in the future of Tropico. The 1st yacht ever pulled up to our docks, carrying 16 tourists.

1964 Overview:

Average Pay: $10.13
Happiness: 52
Citizens: 117
Tourists: 16
Tourism Rating: 39
Profits: $3,528
Expenses: $-5,531

1965:

As 1965 began, we were still in the middle of a depression. Although the worst looked to be behind us, we couldn't estimate how much longer it would last.

Events began early as a bunkhouse was completed in January.

The Duty Free shop was completed in April.

In June, keeping up with my original elections promise, I called for a vote to take place next year. My opponent? None other than the infamous Lucho Guerra. Initial polls have me leading 63-18.

In September, to help keep the island a tropical paradise, I enacted an Anti-Litter edict. I believe this contributed to lower happiness throughout the island.

In December, construction on a souvenir shop began.

1965 Overview:

Average Pay: $9.58
Happiness: 50
Citizens: 119
Tourists: 16
Tourism Rating: 50
Profits: $4,692
Expenses: $-4,146

*-This is the first time I can remember that Profits were higher than expenses.

1966:

December 1965 signaled the end of a 6 year economic depression, and oddly enough, people seemed happier when we weren't making any money.

1966 was pretty uneventful. The first big happening was in March, when a souvenir shop was completed.

June saw the coming of elections, and once again, my glorious victory. I defeated Mr. Guerra for a 3rd time, with the vote at 67-21.

In December, I payed handsomely to bring in a foreign teacher and a foreign priest.

1966 Overview:

Average Pay: $9.55
Happiness: 49
Citizens: 120
Tourists: 17
Tourism Rating: 54
Profits: $11,287
Expenses: $-4,078

*-The Depression is Over!

And now, the pictures. All are from January of 1967.

The Apartments and Bunkhouse Row:

The Hotel and Souvenir Shop:

The Beach Site(No one works here yet!):

The Duty Free Shop:

A Poor Quality View of Campinas:
Old 02-07-2003, 10:54 PM   #14
Its Vanilla
High School JV

1967-1970: Un período de transición...

1967:

Not much happened once again. The economic boom of 1965-66 began to slow.

In January, construction began on a new house near the souvenir shop. It was completed in February. There is no picture.

In May, I decided to raise my prestige in the militarialist faction. Construction was ordered to begin an Armory as soon as possible. It was finished later in the year. That pretty much wraps it up.

The Armory:
Click Here to See

Campinas in 1967:

The Overview(Sorry for Poor Quality):

1968:

I knew that to keep the respect of my people, I would have to create some jobs. Unemployment was at its highest since I took over in 1950. I began right away in January, ordering construction on a Cannery, which was completed in July. This also benefits me in another way. Canned Pineapples sell for much more than regular pineapples, which have been a staple of my economy.

The Cannery:

I was also looking to bring in more tourists, or at least make more from current ones, to help my once again sagging economy. I began construction on a Scenic Outlook in May. It would not be completed before the end of the year.

My treasury also took a big hit when I had to send out of the country for a foreign General to run my Armory. That's part of the reason that Special Expenses was so high this year. The other being construction.

Campinas in 1968:

The 1968 Economic Overview:

1969:

1969 was more of the same from the past 2 years. Sagging economy, rising happiness, and construction. What a way to run a country!

January finally saw the completion of my Scenic Outlook, which is now gouging tourists for money. Sorry, but there's no picture.

In May, I began consturction on a 2nd Construction Office. I did this to create jobs and to get projects done faster. It was completed in September. Once again, there is no picture.

In June, it was once again time to call for elections. There were 2 firsts for an opponent in this election. 1st, it was the first time a family member of a previous opponent had ran, and 2nd, it was the first time a woman had decided to run. Tamara Olson is the widow of Dan Olson, who ran against me in 1954. Early polls had me leading 85-13.

Tamara's Political Beliefs:

The month of July saw the construction of a Marina, which will give tourists boat tours of the island.

The Marina:

Profits were negative once again this year, signalling a slip back into a recession. I hope to turn it around soon. Although, people seem to be happier when I'm losing money.

1969 Economic Overview:

1970:

Only 1 thing happened in 1970.

In June, I defeated Tamara Olson in the election by a vote of 85-13.

Campinas in 1970:

1970 Economic Overview:
Old 02-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #15
Its Vanilla
High School JV

1971: Asi, asi...

Not much going on as the early 1970's continue. Lately, in the area around the Health Clinic and Teamster's Office, I've been noticing a lot of shacks. That's why in January, I decided to bulldoze 6 of them.

When that was done in March, I ordered construction on a Tenament building. It would not be finished before the end of the year.

The Construction Zone:

To get my economy out of its somewhat perrenial slump, I decided to add a $3,000 packing house to my factory. This increases worker production and will hopefully allow me to export more canned pineapples.

The New Packing House:

In August a new house was constructed after the bulldozing of a shack. There is no picture of that.

That's pretty much it.

Campinas at the End of 1971:

1971 Economic Overview:
Old 02-17-2003, 02:18 PM   #16
Swaggs
Coordinator

Keep up the good work...this is a nice read.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 07:10 PM   #17
Its Vanilla
High School JV

Somehow everything I had up until 1975 was deleted. Sorry. The reports will continue with 1975 soon...