Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Looking for Zombie Book Advice

I read World War Z a while ago and would like to read some more Zombie books. I am doing some research per se for a role playing campaign i will be running down the line. I was wondering what other titles you guys/girls might recommend.

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here are the ones I've read grouped by what I thought of them.

Good zombie books:

World War Z (Max Brooks)
Day By Day Armaggedon (J.L. Bourne)
The Morningstar Strain: Plague of the Dead (Z.A. Recht)
The Morningstar Strain: Thunder and Ashes (Z.A. Recht)
Dead City (Joe McKinney)

Average

Dying To Live (Kim Paffenroth) Generally good, with some supernatural elements that I wasn't wild about.
Dying To Live: Life Sentence (Kim Paffenroth) Part of story is narrated by an intelligent zombie. I thought it would annoy me more than it did.
As The World Dies: The First Days (Rhiannon Frater) Typical zombies come, people hole up in a fort and fight them, bad humans show up and make things worse. Focuses a little too much on feelings, but then it is written by a female.
As The World Dies: Fighting To Survive (Rhiannon Frater)
History Is Dead: A Zombie Anthology (Kim Paffenroth) - short stories, some good, some not as good

Read only if you really like zombies:

The Zombie Survival Guide (Max Brooks) This bored me. No story, just goes over biology of zombies, what weapons are good, common mistakes, etc.
Monster Island (David Wellington) A trilogy, but I have no plans to read the others; too supernatural for my taste
Pride And Prejudice And Zombies (Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith) - Ehh. Too much Pride And Prejudice, not enough zombies.

I tend to like straightforward zombie stories. Virus infects people --> turns them into zombies --> chaos ensues. Monster Island has too much supernatural crap in it (mummies, mind-reading, sucking the life out of other zombies to get stronger). The ones that I rated the best tend to be more straightforward zombie tales.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-11-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I actually liked The Zombie Survival Guide more than the others I've read on that list. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a funny idea, but is actually enjoyable to neither myself nor my Austen-phile girlfriend. Meh.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

If you're not totally averse to the graphic novel/comics type, I'd strongly suggest "The Walking Dead". I own the first two hardcover and it's a great book about human survival in a zombie infested world.

First hardcover, includes issues 1-12 or the comics series:
Amazon.com: The Walking Dead, Book 1 (Bk. 1): Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn: Books

or, first trade paperback, includes issues 1-6 of the series:
Amazon.com: The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye (v. 1): Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore: Books

or read the first issue online for free on the Image Comics website:
Image Comics Online - The Walking Dead #1

It's black and white but the strength is in the story...

FM
Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Calis
College Starter

Walking Dead is easily the best zombie fiction out there. I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest.

Kodos has the rest pretty much covered, apart from the Brian Keene series that starts off with The Rising. It's non-traditional zombies, but it seems like most of the books are. It's not a bad book though. I know there is at least one sequel out, and I think two but I haven't read those yet.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'd second the Brian Keene recommendation.

I think I have read four of his novels and I've enjoyed them all.

Stephen King's "Cell" is not a traditional zombie novel, but it has a lot of the same type of survival elements in it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I've read a little bit of The Walking Dead and enjoyed it. I'm usually not a fan of the black and white comics, but the story was solid.

Do you have any other recommendations for a zombie comic? I've read a few here and there, but never found one as good as The Walking Dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
If you're not totally averse to the graphic novel/comics type, I'd strongly suggest "The Walking Dead". I own the first two hardcover and it's a great book about human survival in a zombie infested world.

First hardcover, includes issues 1-12 or the comics series:
Amazon.com: The Walking Dead, Book 1 (Bk. 1): Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn: Books

or, first trade paperback, includes issues 1-6 of the series:
Amazon.com: The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye (v. 1): Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore: Books

or read the first issue online for free on the Image Comics website:
Image Comics Online - The Walking Dead #1

It's black and white but the strength is in the story...

FM
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the recommendations Kodos. I'm definitely going to look into each of those books next time I hit the book store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Here are the ones I've read grouped by what I thought of them.

Good zombie books:

World War Z (Max Brooks)
Day By Day Armaggedon (J.L. Bourne)
The Morningstar Strain: Plague of the Dead (Z.A. Recht)
The Morningstar Strain: Thunder and Ashes (Z.A. Recht)
Dead City (Joe McKinney)
Old 05-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
I actually liked The Zombie Survival Guide more than the others I've read on that list. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a funny idea, but is actually enjoyable to neither myself nor my Austen-phile girlfriend. Meh.

+1 on the Zombie Survival Guide. Especially as a role playing aid it's really, really useful.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the ideas there are definitely some good ones here.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
samifan24
Pro Starter

I work in a bookstore and we can't keep the new "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" on our shelves.

The author explains: "“You have this fiercely independent heroine, you have this dashing heroic gentleman, you have a militia camped out for seemingly no reason whatsoever nearby, and people are always walking here and there and taking carriage rides here and there,” he said. “It was just ripe for gore and senseless violence. From my perspective anyway."

Last edited by samifan24 : 05-12-2009 at 08:57 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I had no idea Kodos was such a zombie aficionado.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, I've been on a real zombie kick over the past year or so. Really, just studying up for tips when I decide to take over your planet.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-12-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
KWhit
Coordinator

I really liked Cell. Of course, I'm a sucker for any Stephen King.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I've read a little bit of The Walking Dead and enjoyed it. I'm usually not a fan of the black and white comics, but the story was solid.

Do you have any other recommendations for a zombie comic? I've read a few here and there, but never found one as good as The Walking Dead.

Really none that I think are as good as Walking Dead no. I don't read to many zombie books though. Of all the books I've read, there are only two.

ZMD Zombies of Mass Destruction is about what if the military air-dropped zombies into hot zones. CanT' really recommend it though as it's really not been one of my favorites. A five issue mini, I almost dropped it after 3, then forgot about it because of a long delay and #4 just shipped last week...

The other is Super Zombies - Written by Marc Guggenheim (Amazing Spider-Man among others), it's a superhero book in which he's created a whole universe of superheroes that all fall victim to this virus. While they don't actually call them zombies, they're pretty mucht he same, although more agile, hence the term Super Zombies. I like it, although some people have found the new universe a bit much to swallow. Tons of different characters, introduced in the first issue, with some more in the second issue. Only two issues out, so not too late to get into it.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 05-12-2009 at 09:14 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Wow i just read up on Super Zombies. I might have to make a trip to the local comic shop.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Thanks Frogman. I think I have seen Zombies of Mass Destruction, but like yourself it didn't really interest me. I have a friend who has some of the Super Zombies issues so I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Really none that I think are as good as Walking Dead no. I don't read to many zombie books though. Of all the books I've read, there are only two.

ZMD Zombies of Mass Destruction is about what if the military air-dropped zombies into hot zones. CanT' really recommend it though as it's really not been one of my favorites. A five issue mini, I almost dropped it after 3, then forgot about it because of a long delay and #4 just shipped last week...

The other is Super Zombies - Written by Marc Guggenheim (Amazing Spider-Man among others), it's a superhero book in which he's created a whole universe of superheroes that all fall victim to this virus. While they don't actually call them zombies, they're pretty mucht he same, although more agile, hence the term Super Zombies. I like it, although some people have found the new universe a bit much to swallow. Tons of different characters, introduced in the first issue, with some more in the second issue. Only two issues out, so not too late to get into it.

FM
Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #18
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Thanks Frogman. I think I have seen Zombies of Mass Destruction, but like yourself it didn't really interest me. I have a friend who has some of the Super Zombies issues so I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the suggestions.

no problem, and here's another one I didn't think about earlier, mostly because the title doesn't mention zombies at all, it's "Marlow Soul of Darkness". It's an indie and the writer hangs around on Heavy Ink. From the book's solicit text:"Accidentally turned into a zombie by nanotechnology meant to cure his war-torn psyche, Marlow now works for the pharmaceutical company that mutilated him. In exchange for the medicines that keep him from reverting to a zombie state, Marlow does all the dirty work the Company asks him to do out of fear of transforming into a terrible creature. The Company's latest assignment sends Marlow and his team to a research site in Romania to destroy human experiments, forcing Marlow save the man who made him, and defeat a feared assassin known only as 'The Russian.' This leads him to question the life he's chosen, and wonder if he must suffer the consequences of his mutilation to be truly human. Inspired by Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness."

I really liked it when I read it, and there's supposed to have more of it at some point. It's not your typical zombie post-apocalyptic type story, but I thought it was pretty good.

FM
Old 05-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #19
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Personally I'd like to recommend a classic - if you haven't read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, you really should - it basically laid the groundwork for the modern survival genre, and even though the bad guys are technically vampires, it definitely feels like a zombie book (and Romero was heavily influenced by it to make Night of the Living Dead.)

Just forget that horrible Will Smith movie and go back to the original book - it's a really interesting read - I also have it as an audiobook and found it fits that format well.

Last edited by Peregrine : 05-13-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #20
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I actually liked I Am Legend. I will have to pickup the book. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

I Am Legend was good; although some of the other short stories in that book weren't as good.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Nobody here has read any of the books by Len Barnhardt?

"Reign of the Dead"
and it's sequel
"Apolalypse End"

are both excellent reads. I couldn't put down either and read each of them in a day or two.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #23
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Dola

I just placed on order on Amazon for...

World War Z
Day By Day Armageddon
Dead City

I'm a pretty traditionalist/Romeroist Zombie fan. I'm very very strongly hoping that none of these zombies are going to be running around, or doing anything that isn't socially acceptable.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

A lot of books have adopted the "live person bitten by zombie turns into fast zombie", "dead person brought back to life is slow" dichotomy.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

World War Z is a good audiobook, too.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #26
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I thought World War Z was great. I picked up Monster Island at the library since it was the only zombie book they seemed to carry. So far it is interesting.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #27
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay i am at about the half way point of Monster Island and i am not sure if i like the supernatural thing.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I'm a pretty traditionalist/Romeroist Zombie fan. I'm very very strongly hoping that none of these zombies are going to be running around, or doing anything that isn't socially acceptable.

I tend to prefer the traditional, slow moving zombie as well, but I must say that the "Dawn of The Dead" re-make was quite excellent. Much better than the last two Romero zombie flicks, both of which sucked hard.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Okay i am at about the half way point of Monster Island and i am not sure if i like the supernatural thing.

It gets worse.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #30
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I tend to prefer the traditional, slow moving zombie as well, but I must say that the "Dawn of The Dead" re-make was quite excellent. Much better than the last two Romero zombie flicks, both of which sucked hard.

Agreed on the last two Romero movies. He should have just quit while he was ahead, or worked together with a good novelist and come up with something that way. It's too bad because I feel like he's completely ruined any chance of Hollywood giving him enough funds to make another if he were to ever come up with a great idea.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #31
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Here's a free zombie book online (html) from Travis Adkins' Twilight of the Dead.

http://twilightofthedead.blogspot.com/
Old 05-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Well i finished Monster Island and must admit i kinda liked it. It was definitely a bit supernatural but was not "okay here we go again". I have heard the 2nd book goes back to what caused the whole zombie thing and will be picking it up.

Has anyone read any of Wellington's vampire books?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #33
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I will actually probably give Monster Nation a read online since it is free to see what direction it goes in. I am kinda shocked that all of his books are readable online. Pretty cool idea although i might limit it to the first few chapters.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #34
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay so i started reading I Am Legend while i wait for the books i ordered to arrive. I am only about 50 pages it but can someone please tell me other than the main character having the same name and the mosters being vampires where how the heck the movie has anything to do with the book? So far it seems that they just took the title, the main character's name and the monsters and threw the rest away.

On a side note i wound up picking up 13 Bullets by David Wellington and was wondering if anyone else has read Wellington's vampire books?

Last edited by cubboyroy1826 : 05-26-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #35
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm about 2/3 of the way through World War Z and the only reason I haven't finished it is because we visited the In-Laws this weekend. I blew through it when I was reading it...it definitely sucked me in.

I just read that Romero is currently filming another Dead movie. Hopefully it will be very...very different than the absolutely god awful Diary of the Dead.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #36
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Yeah World War Z was very good.

I just saw an ad for Diary of the Dead, so are you saying i should avoid it?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #37
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I would recommend avoiding it, if you want to maintain the same level of respect you have for Romero that you have now.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #38
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I'm about 2/3 of the way through World War Z and the only reason I haven't finished it is because we visited the In-Laws this weekend. I blew through it when I was reading it...it definitely sucked me in.

This is almost my exact story for the weekend. Its a great book so far and I've only got about 100 pages left.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #39
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Not really a zombie book, but it has a lot of the same elements:

Amazon.com: One Rainy Night: Richard Laymon: Books
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #40
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Okay so i started reading I Am Legend while i wait for the books i ordered to arrive. I am only about 50 pages it but can someone please tell me other than the main character having the same name and the mosters being vampires where how the heck the movie has anything to do with the book? So far it seems that they just took the title, the main character's name and the monsters and threw the rest away.

On a side note i wound up picking up 13 Bullets by David Wellington and was wondering if anyone else has read Wellington's vampire books?

I never saw the movie or read the book, but I read the graphic novel over the weekend and loved it. Are you reading the book?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #41
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm about 2/3 of the way through "Day by Day Armadeggon". It's a decent book. I like the idea of the journal entry thing. It doesn't stack up anywhere close to World War Z, but I guess that's like trying to compare every Zombie movie to the original Dawn of the Dead...it's just not fair
Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #42
Edward64
Head Coach

Not a book but thought I'd share the info with the group.
The Wargamer | For All Your Strategy Gaming on the 'Net
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote