Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
Easy Mac

Best "Modern" Rock Band

So we saw that the Best Rock Band of All Time poll pretty much went all classic rock. So instead of a poll, lets just see who people say are the best "modern" rock band. You don't have to be beholden to the current understanding of "modern" rock as defined by Billboard, but rather the best band that was formed more or less 20-25 years ago...

Think early 90's era or later. Maybe you think Nirvana's Terrell Davis-like run cements them as the top. Perhaps you think Mastadon was the hardest band. Perhaps you just like to have fun and dance hipster style to Phoenix. Maybe Three Doors Down really is the best butt rock out there.

For me, I'd say Spoon takes my top spot. They've never had the highest highs like some other bands (like My Morning Jacket's Z) or the lowest lows (like My Morning Jacket's Evil Urges), but as far as indie rock goes, they've been consistent very good to pretty great for the last 20 years.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Radiohead.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Gogol Bordello
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think it's definitely Radiohead as the "greatest," but I'm also a very big fan of Spoon and Arcade Fire, who fit in well here, too.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Chevelle is one of my favorite bands of all time.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

Radiohead, hands down.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Based on your definition of "modern" rock band, I'd go with Radiohead and Tool, with honorable mentions for Queens of the Stone Age, P.J. Harvey and Bjork.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #9
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Radiohead.

I'd throw in Beck for the discussion of second place. I'm not the hugest fan, but he's been very influential on a lot of people.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
Hammer
College Prospect

Oasis. Not even close. Such a wide variety of music. Shame they wern't motivated to gain a name for themselves in the U.S. Oasis' B sides would beat anything any other modern rock band could put together IMO.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
korme
Go Reds

Arcade Fire is the best band mentioned here, so far.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Radiohead is great. I've enjoyed Five Finger Death Punch quite a bit and the Pretty Reckless is pretty good too!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #13
lungs
Pro Rookie

Cannibal Corpse. Hands down.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I usually talk about this in terms of "modern era rock Mt. Rushmore"

Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold (tho lately they have me questioning that), Volbeat, and ... well, then I get a little stuck.

I thought Trivium might make a run at it soon enough but seems to be slipping back just a bit. And perhaps the 4th slot should go to one of the "post-grunge" building blocks that opened the door for rock to be revived after it's long dreary winter.

If you took only high points, honestly, Nickleback probably deserves the 4th spot,but those low points are awfully low. Shinedown gets kicked for the same reason really. Seether maybe? Alter Bridge is probably the most talented but hasn't managed to parlay that well enough into U.S. success to feel right.

And, yes, the fact that alternative bands are prominent in the discussion here pretty much highlights what I find so completely wrong with rock today. Like what you like, but I do retain the right to shake my head pretty sadly at some of it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-13-2017 at 11:58 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #15
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

This can change but currently I would say. Disturbed, Volbeat, Alter Bridge as the current top of the list. Shinedown is close. Five Finger Death Punch is close but not as close.

For me I would give consideration to Ghost and Within Temptation.

Halestorm would have some consideration as well.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Of the bands not yet mentioned, Nine Inch Nails deserves some consideration, although I guess they/he just miss the early-90s cutoff.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
This can change but currently I would say. Disturbed, Volbeat, Alter Bridge as the current top of the list. Shinedown is close. Five Finger Death Punch is close but not as close.

For me I would give consideration to Ghost and Within Temptation.

Halestorm would have some consideration as well.

Is the body of work big enough / strong enough for Ghost though?
And Halestorm is yet another case where I dismiss based on the last album. (The past 12-18 months haven't been kind to a lot of bands really)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #18
korme
Go Reds

How The National Made the Best Rock Album of 2017

Mixed emotions about my favorite band getting this kind of recognition some 16 years after forming.

Last edited by korme : 09-13-2017 at 12:11 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #19
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And, yes, the fact that alternative bands are prominent in the discussion here pretty much highlights what I find so completely wrong with rock today. Like what you like, but I do retain the right to shake my head pretty sadly at some of it.

That's one of the things that is odd about the internet. It seems as though the love for alternative/indie is way higher on the internet than it is in the real world. If I turn on the radio, there's 1 station around that might play anything remotely new in the indie world. There's still 2-3 that play what would be considered hard/real rock a la Jon.

Then you look at the arena here, there's still a couple shows a year where rock bands play either with a headliner or more of a collective and it sells out, but its extremely rare that an alternative band plays here. I remember being quite confused when Modern Baseball headlined a show at the arena. I thought, there's no chance they could come close to selling out. But I'm not even sure how many times I've seen Five Finger Death Punch and the like flash on the "coming soon" screen outside.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #20
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I must be too popish as I thought it was the Foo Fighters.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am going to go off of the spirit of the question, and assume some bands that actually formed late 80s are still eligible, as long as they'rer not pre-90s rock (classic, 80s hair band, 80s metal, alt rock 80s, new wave 80s, etc.)

Given that, the following bands are among my favorites and would be on any list of my personal best bands:

NIN-- Trent Reznor is a genius
Weezer-- They try so many things with their music, but it generally works.
Arcade Fire-- I have a quote from a song by them in my signature. They're terrific.
System Of A Down--I have always been able to rock out to SoaD
Radiohead-- Sometimes they get too whiny, but great lyrics and an amazing ear for musical sound.

There might be others, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Three to watch but they're probably too new:

Mumford & Sons-- Their early fans didn't like the move away from the folk rock on their last album, but I thought it was a mature direction for the band to go.
Imagine Dragons-- Prolific and consistent. They rarely wow me at the start but then as I listen more I come to realize how great they are at putting.together music.
Twenty-One Pilots-- Right from the start they have taken gone in odd directions with their sound and turned it into great songs.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-13-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
That's one of the things that is odd about the internet. It seems as though the love for alternative/indie is way higher on the internet than it is in the real world. If I turn on the radio, there's 1 station around that might play anything remotely new in the indie world. There's still 2-3 that play what would be considered hard/real rock a la Jon.

I wish you were right but, sadly ...

Only 1800-2000 spins (on stations with monitored airplay) are needed to top the Active Rock chart. It takes 2600-3100 spins to get a #1 on the Alternative chart. On the bottom end of the chart (i.e. #50) it takes roughly 2x alt spins as active rock spins to get onto the published list each week.

Compounding the disparity is that alt has horribly infected Active playlists whereas virtually nothing aside from 2-3 bands cross over in the other direction.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #23
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Spoon is a very good choice. As is Arcade Fire, who is one of my favorite bands ever (though their last album was a bit of a misstep). I'll also through into the fray The White Stripes, who are the equal of any one else named.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #24
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Just thinking more in the last 10 years, Avenged Sevenfold, All That Remains, Chevelle, Shinedown and, even though i can't stand them, Five Finger Death Punch.

And an honorable mention for Nightwish and Lacuna Coil as my favorites.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #25
Umbrella
High School Varsity

This might be too pop, but Green Day should be mentioned. Pop punk was huge, and they were one of the originals, and one of the best. Pearl Jam fits the early 90's era well. I personally love Rage Against the Machine. And I would give OK Go an honorable mention for being one of the first bands to take advantage of the YouTube era, which is certainly a modern way of thinking.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #26
thesloppy
Pro Starter

According to quantifying my big playlist o' crap, my Mt. Rushmore of modern rock would go Melvins, Pavement, Mogwai & Om. Real chart burners, there.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Spoon is a very good choice. As is Arcade Fire, who is one of my favorite bands ever (though their last album was a bit of a misstep). I'll also through into the fray The White Stripes, who are the equal of any one else named.

The last album, as in the one which came out a month ago? Or Reflektor? Reflektor was touch and go for me. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the new album yet although I like the single they released.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The one that came out a month ago. Reflektor was pretty good.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #29
General Mike
Pro Starter

Paramore, but I don't really think they are rock anymore. Great music for a broken soul though.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #30
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'll have to look into that some more. I felt Reflektor was a step away from their strong early work. Still good but more hit and miss, while the early albums were all uniformly excellent IMO. So if the new album is even more off, that's not a great direction to go.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #31
Easy Mac

Quote:

I really liked Funeral, liked Neon Bible, but after that I've been out.

I need a few more spins of their new album before I see how high I'd put LCD Soundsytem. Their s/t album was them still figuring out how to turn James Murphy's producing into a band, but the next two were absolutely brilliant.

If The War on Drugs put out 2-3 more excellent albums, I could see them be up there for me. So far their albums have all been outstanding.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #32
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Just some others not named so far (more pop, but then again, so were the beatles):

Cake
Coldplay
Creed
Linkin Park
Maroon 5
Nickelback

Last edited by Scarecrow : 09-13-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #33
BYU 14
Coordinator

Foo Fighters, Nickelback, Volbeat, Alter Bridge and if they can churn out a few more solid efforts I can see Greta Van Fleet joining the list.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #34
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Not a big fan of the entire grunge scene, but I feel like there's been some good stuff recently. I'll say:

Green Day
Paramore
Arcade Fire
The National

Honorable mention to the Avett Brothers whose live shows definitely have a more rock vibe than their recorded work.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #35
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I want to join in the conversation here, and I listen to a ton of new music, but man, I haven't listened to 90% of the bands mentioned in this thread. And that's including Cannibal Corpse in the 10%. Ha!

I don't listen to a ton of pure rock (mostly either metal or pop, not much in between), but I'd throw Clutch and Big Wreck out as best rock bands of the past 20 years. Not that they sound "modern." If I expand this to prog rock artists, I'd most definitely include Steven Wilson. But he's not a band (and he's more than his former band Porcupine Tree).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #36
mckerney
Coordinator

I don't listen to nearly enough to say who the best is, but Ike Reilly and the Ike Reilly Assassination have been my favorite for years.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #37
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Velvet Revolver deserves a mention I think.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Velvet Revolver deserves a mention I think.

That's kinda tough I think. Only 2 albums & 6 years really, out of a nearly 30 year range. and really only 3 songs total that had much impact.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #39
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

The correct answer is Queens of the Stone Age. Radiohead isn't rock, not anymore at least.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #40
tarcone
Coordinator

Does Katy Perry count?

I dont really know any of these bands you guys have mentioned.

I thought Radiohead was a band from the 80s to be honest.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #41
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Nirvana
White Stripes
The Black Keys
Alice in Chains
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #42
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

QOTSA
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #43
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Nirvana
White Stripes
The Black Keys
Alice in Chains

These may be the only bands in this thread I've remotely listened to.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #44
Ksyrup

Surprised Pearl Jam has only been mentioned in passing. Figured they would get a lot of love. They certainly have the longevity but they also aren't really "modern."

Never really got into QOTSA, but that's probably because I still get depressed thinking about the demise of Kyuss.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #45
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I think it's definitely Radiohead as the "greatest," but I'm also a very big fan of Spoon and Arcade Fire, who fit in well here, too.

You have heard the last 2 Arcade Fire albums, right?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:49 AM   #46
Schmidty
Coordinator

Pavement. My musical tastes haven't changed since like '99.

I've actually stopped listening to music at all anymore. I find most things that came out after the turn of the century to be tedious and irritating now. No idea why.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #47
Kodos
Resident Alien

Foo Fighters, Green Day, Maroon 5, and Imagine Dragons are the only groups mentioned in this thread that I have any use for.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-14-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #48
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
You have heard the last 2 Arcade Fire albums, right?

Reflektor was good. Everything Now is the only one where I'll agree that it was more meh than not. But Creature Comfort and Put Your Money on Me are pretty great.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #49
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
So we saw that the Best Rock Band of All Time poll pretty much went all classic rock. So instead of a poll, lets just see who people say are the best "modern" rock band. You don't have to be beholden to the current understanding of "modern" rock as defined by Billboard, but rather the best band that was formed more or less 20-25 years ago...

Think early 90's era or later. Maybe you think Nirvana's Terrell Davis-like run cements them as the top. Perhaps you think Mastadon was the hardest band. Perhaps you just like to have fun and dance hipster style to Phoenix. Maybe Three Doors Down really is the best butt rock out there.

For me, I'd say Spoon takes my top spot. They've never had the highest highs like some other bands (like My Morning Jacket's Z) or the lowest lows (like My Morning Jacket's Evil Urges), but as far as indie rock goes, they've been consistent very good to pretty great for the last 20 years.

I think it's a fair point. But for clarity...are we saying current bands or bands in the last 20-25 years but some are no longer existing.

Best modern rock to me seems to speak of a current active band and not one on the nostalgia circuit, they need to be producing new music and it has to have some critical/commercial success that is driving other bands to follow their trends/style or they are so set apart that no other band can imitate them.

That second part to me is a biggie.

I would exclude bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots or any band that is no longer delving to create new music. Alice in Chains may make new music but its to keep its current listeners happy, it's not driving new trends. Not one of those bands did what AC/DC did after Bon Scott kicked off (though one could argue Foo Fighters comes close).

Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters...man I loved Pearl Jam, still do, but I can't say they are relevant. They are a nostalgia circuit, they may get a late hit ala Rolling Stones, but I don't think anyone expects Pearl Jam to be transcendent anymore.

They're also a band notorious for trying not to be a rock and roll band (myth-wise) and I do think you need something edgy to your band.

Foo Fighters, I love the first album...that was an important one for Dave Grohl. But he's delved further into pop than rock. Though I think "Stacked Actors" is a great FU to Courtney Love...angry Dave Grohl is good music.

I discount NIN because Trent can rock but he's atmospheric...you gotta sometimes have a happy tune or at least a sense of humor...Trent is just darkness...hell his latest is called "Add Violence", I don't think they'll be anything happy about it.

Same goes for Nick Cave who can rock but is more of a brooder. Some of his stuff is damn good though.

Red Hot Chili Peppers can rock and nothing sounds like them but they really haven't evolved (not that I want to hear acoustic RHCP).

I would say bands like the Strokes (though they've gone 70's to the 80s), the National, Wilco, Phoenix, Interpol, My Morning Jacket, Vampire Weekend, Elbow are vibe bands that have great followings but not large ones.

Radiohead is a statement band...they have rockish songs but they are also atmospheric.

Rage against the Machine was one note political and burnt out. Oasis burnt out due to in-fighting and drugs (Stone Roses).

U2 are dinosaurs that haven't wowed us in long time. REM was folky.

Blur is too British. Gorillaz fits the alternative moniker but not as a definitive rocker band...Weezer is pop.

Marilyn Manson is Alice Cooper for Gen X. Monster Magnet is sex and drugs but "Space Lord" was their peak and they don't really push out of stoner rock.

I don't know Spoon that well. I'm not knocking them for that, but I've heard the name just not much of their music.

Metal bands are always metal bands, they aren't rock bands...they would scoff at being called rock. Punk bands the same...

So that's why I go with Queens of the Stone Age...Josh Homme has created a pretty straighforward rock group that mixes mainly aspects of other rock. Very little delves into statement, sentimentality, or political. Hell, he just backed Iggy Pop (great concert) got his seal of approval and he's gotten Dave Grohl and others to be members in the band from time to time (Elton John?!?). Songs for the Deaf is an amazing quasi concept album. Rated R has "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" which is simply "Nicotine, Vailum, Vicoden, Marijuana, Ecstasy and Alcohol" repeated over until it explodes. Plus the bassist who was kicked out of the band had been arrested once by a SWAT team which is pretty impressive. There has been force evolution due to kicking out Oliveri and Homme nearly dying from an infection.

Could one argue Radiohead is a rock band...sure...but I think Thom Yorke would take issue with that.

I would argue Foo Fighters ride the nostalgia circuit pretty hard with a built in set of Nirvana followers because it came from the same band (ignoring Bush, Seven Mary Three, Sponge and all the bands that followed Nirvana).

QOTSA had Kyuss but that was not a large following.

So in summation, for now, QOTSA simply because it's always evolving, not a statement band, not a nostalgia circuit band and has rock and roll street cred (Hell playing in the desert to prove your worth is pretty hardcore).
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #50
Ksyrup

I left metal bands out of my comments, but I note that in the original best rock band of all time poll there were a number of metal bands included. If I was to include one, for me it would be Opeth as best (and now, they are basically a prog rock band anyway, so they could fit either way). In terms of influential, I'd say Meshuggah.

I don't get discounting a band because they don't do happy tunes or have a sense of humor. For me, dark, angry and/or depressing music is the absolute height of what makes music so special. It's those dark areas that allow music to be at its expressive best. The more depressing, the better.