Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Are white people allowed to quote the line "That ain't nothing but ultra perm"

According to my friend, I can't because people of color don't appreciate when educated white people code switch and something about cultural appropriation? I am not sure. He took issue with the phrase "that aint nothing" mostly. According to him it would have been ok to use just say That is just ultra perm

I can give a bit more context later if people care (you probably won't)

So what say you, FOFC? Is this a quoteable line? Are we going to have a serious discussion or will this turn into the most offensive thread in FOF history

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Well, I'm a white guy, so I'll start off with that...

I can't imagine why the issue would be the first part and not the second part (if it's even an issue), or just the implication of the whole thing.

If you're going to quote a line, why would you change any of the words...outside of an obvious one, of course?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
According to my friend, I can't because people of color don't appreciate when educated white people code switch and something about cultural appropriation? I am not sure. He took issue with the phrase "that aint nothing" mostly. According to him it would have been ok to use just say That is just ultra perm

I can give a bit more context later if people care (you probably won't)

So what say you, FOFC? Is this a quoteable line? Are we going to have a serious discussion or will this turn into the most offensive thread in FOF history

To say that a person can't do something because the color of their skin is simply racism. (Except acting roles of historical figures)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
rjolley
College Starter

I'm a Black man and I don't see the problem, especially with the correction. Non-Black people can't say ain't? Must've missed that one in the latest newsletter.

I'm more curious as to why that line was the appropriate quote.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

That whole movie is quotable as far as I'm concerned.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
To say that a person can't do something because the color of their skin is simply racism.

Unless you are changing the definition of racism, not really. Or, perhaps, you think that determining whether it's appropriate for someone of one race to say something advances the superiority of one race over another?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wait ... what?

I gotta be missing something somewhere.
Quote:
the phrase "that aint nothing"

Has this person never been around any rednecks on most any Fri or Sat night?
That phrase is a helluva lot older than anybody still living.

(Those are common words predating all the "hey ya'll, watch this" jokes as well as "hold my beer")

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-06-2017 at 03:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
What about a black guy, impersonating a old white Jewish guy, saying "He beat Joe Louis's ass!"?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

This shit just gets ridiculous sometimes. People should be able to say whatever the fuck they want unless it is intentionally bigoted, malicious or hurtful. And even then they can still be ignorant, they just deserve whatever ramifications come with that mindset.

And this comes from a white guy, married to a black woman, with black and white kids, two of whom are married to Hispanics and one with a half Asian child, and a younger brother who is gay. In other words my family pretty much has all the bases covered and the credo we live by is to show love to all, regardless of ethnicity, religion, sexual preference or socio-economic background.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This shit just gets ridiculous sometimes. People should be able to say whatever the fuck they want unless it is intentionally bigoted, malicious or hurtful. And even then they can still be ignorant, they just deserve whatever ramifications come with that mindset.

And this comes from a white guy, married to a black woman, with black and white kids, two of whom are married to Hispanics and one with a half Asian child, and a younger brother who is gay. In other words my family pretty much has all the bases covered and the credo we live by is to show love to all, regardless of ethnicity, religion, sexual preference or socio-economic background.

That ain't nothing but ultra perm.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
What about a black guy, impersonating a old white Jewish guy, saying "He beat Joe Louis's ass!"?

That's right, he did whip Joe Louis' ass.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Unless you are changing the definition of racism, not really. Or, perhaps, you think that determining whether it's appropriate for someone of one race to say something advances the superiority of one race over another?

By saying 1 race can say something and another race can not, then you are by definition saying that 1 race is superior in the matter at hand, no?

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-06-2017 at 05:00 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That ain't nothing but ultra perm.

or a G thang
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #14
SteveM58
Mascot

I know it makes me "that" guy....but I have no idea where that quote is from.

I'm also content in my willful ignorance. Enough so that I know I could google it quicker than writing this sentence.
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
That's right, he did whip Joe Louis' ass.

Joe Louis was 75 years old.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Joe Louis was 75 years old.

I don't know how old he was, but he got his ass whooped.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #17
Butter
Coordinator

I asked Frank, "you hang out with Joe Louis, he always lies about his age, how old is Joe Louis?"

He said, "You know what, Joe Louis is 137 years old."

137 years old!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

Oh man, you ain't never meet no Frank Sinatra.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

You ain't never met no Martin Luther the King.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
By saying 1 race can say something and another race can not, then you are by definition saying that 1 race is superior in the matter at hand, no?

No. Not in the slightest.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not at all. If you are saying that one race cannot say something that another race can because of historic discrimination and oppression, and those phrases and words are attempts by the historically oppressed race to reclaim it's dignity and identity, you are saying the exact opposite of superiority.

The N-word comes to mind. Black folk are allowed to say it because they are reclaiming a word that has been used to oppress them. Others can't because it has been a word that has used to oppress black people.

When you are the dominant culture, sometimes you need to take a step back so other marginalized cultures can grow and take that space that had been denied them.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure every black guy who says the n-word has been way more superior at not being a racist than every white guy who has said it, so he does have a point.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #23
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #24
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not at all. If you are saying that one race cannot say something that another race can because of historic discrimination and oppression, and those phrases and words are attempts by the historically oppressed race to reclaim it's dignity and identity, you are saying the exact opposite of superiority.

The N-word comes to mind. Black folk are allowed to say it because they are reclaiming a word that has been used to oppress them. Others can't because it has been a word that has used to oppress black people.

When you are the dominant culture, sometimes you need to take a step back so other marginalized cultures can grow and take that space that had been denied them.

Suffice to say you and I will never see eye to eye on this issue, so no point in continuing dialogue.

Racism is defined as holding ones race above another. Power position doesn't matter.

Stated differently, superiority isn't the antithesis of inferiority. Equality is the antithesis of inferiority.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Racism is defined as holding ones race above another. Power position doesn't matter.

Holding one's race above another seems to literally be power positioning. Saying you can't say something because your group has oppressed us and we are attempting to gain back some of that which your group has taken from us seems to be saying we don't believe your group should be above our group anymore.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #26
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Holding one's race above another seems to literally be power positioning.

Which can be true of someone whose race is actually in a place of inferiority but wishes for it not to be so. It is absolutely possible to be the oppressed minority and be racist, it just means that your version of racism doesn't hold as much cultural sway as that of others.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #27
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
It is absolutely possible to be the oppressed minority and be racist, it just means that your version of racism doesn't hold as much cultural sway as that of others.

Take it up with the dictionary, I guess? And I think that in order for it to be racism it must have as an aspect of it the belief that a race is superior or that a race is inferior (and black people can indeed be racist IMO; they just have to believe that the black race is superior or believe that another race is an inferior race - whether it be white, East Asian, etc). Anything other than that is prejudice or bias, but not racism.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #28
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Anything other than that is prejudice or bias, but not racism.

That is very much correct. Unfortunately, today's culture and media have co-opted the word racism to mean pretty much anything. When that is done, it's true meaning is lost and the true nature of racism gets buried.

I would guess that 90% of what is called racism is really prejudice and bias.

It's like how people are merging neo-nazism, white nationalist and nationalists who are white. Three different things but when meanings are obscured or blended, then it becomes something nebulous to discuss and confront because their definitions have been lost.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #29
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Take it up with the dictionary, I guess? And I think that in order for it to be racism it must have as an aspect of it the belief that a race is superior or that a race is inferior (and black people can indeed be racist IMO; they just have to believe that the black race is superior or believe that another race is an inferior race - whether it be white, East Asian, etc). Anything other than that is prejudice or bias, but not racism.

Which is what I just said. The actual position of the race is largely irrelevant, it's ones feeling about that race in relation to others. You can clearly be racist without having any actual power.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #30
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Seems that an individual can say, with in reason, that "I experience that phrase/word you are using as racist (harassing, sexist, homophobic, etc)" and be correct. As the speaker it seems we should respect the reaction and be somewhat more mindful of repeating it around similar groups.

That's all.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #31
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

CM: Ok, I misunderstood what you were getting at. In the two races that the OP was talking about - white & black, I find it is incredibly rare that the latter is racist. Albeit a lot of folks from the former seem to believe the latter is 'racist' when advocating for equality and pointing out how the former group has prevented that from occurring (John Lewis comes to mind as a recent example).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-07-2017 at 02:40 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #32
Schmidty
Coordinator

I fucking hate this thread.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #33
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
CM: Ok, I misunderstood what you were getting at. In the two races that the OP was talking about - white & black, I find it is incredibly rare that the latter is racist. Albeit a lot of folks from the former seem to believe the latter is 'racist' when advocating for equality and pointing out how the former group has prevented that from occurring (John Lewis comes to mind as a recent example).

Right, black people are never racist
Old 09-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
As the speaker it seems we should respect the reaction and be somewhat more mindful of repeating it around similar groups.

That kind of requires a presumption of giving a fuck though, doesn't it?

I can control my intentions.

I learned long ago that I cannot control the reactions of any number of delusional fuckwits on the planet.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #35
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That kind of requires a presumption of giving a fuck though, doesn't it?

I can control my intentions.

I learned long ago that I cannot control the reactions of any number of delusional fuckwits on the planet.

Ok. LWFS, was asking about a friend, which I also think has overlap in the professional world. That's all.

Btw, why do you have so many delusional fuckwits in your life? I think one of the best part of getting older is deciding who you want in your life.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #36
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I fucking hate this thread.

All right, geez, didn't know you'd have this reaction to people quoting Coming To America. Duly noted for the future.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow, this thread features all the FOFC greatest hits.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #38
Izulde
Head Coach

Putting aside the issues of right/wrong, cultural appropriation, the real issue is this:

When someone of a majority cultural group switches to the specific language/dialect of a minority cultural group, they're going to do it wrong 99.9% of the time, even if they know the linguistics of the minority dialect. Why? Because they won't understand the subtle rules of context and nuance that give the original its power, flavor, and levels of meaning.

The reason a member of a minority group can usually successfully switch to majority language is because ipso facto the majority, context and nuance permeates throughout everything - our daily interactions, our business settings, our popular culture is almost completely governed by majority language structures, so one naturally absorbs its shades of meanings in a way that one can't with minority dialects unless one is in some way fully immersed in the minority culture (in most cases by being a member of the group).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #39
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Your friend is just overly sensitive and should ride a shorter horse. Wonder what he thought of Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 09-10-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #40
Mota
College Benchwarmer

People of all cultures and races can be influenced by people of other cultures and races. It shouldn't be surprising in any way that a saying or dialect bleeds into mainstream dialect. I would also view it as a good thing. Living in a multicultural city, I would hope that we can all experience what other cultures have to offer and not isolate ourselves in little bubbles.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote