Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Madden NFL 18

Is there still a Madden curse?

New England Patriots QB Tom Brady to be on cover of 'Madden NFL 18'
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Since anything short of winning the Super Bowl in dramatic fashion would be a downgrade for him, I'd say there will be fodder for a "curse" discussion.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

What about deflated Madden sales?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

I heard he had a deal with NFL 2K before he dumped them for Madden.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I bet all the cheat codes are enabled at the start...
Old 05-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The big change is just a bunch of new camera angles you can use to view the opposing playbook.

Last edited by Arles : 05-12-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

Eli beating Brady in the Super Bowl for the 3rd time confirmed.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

So even though we have no more football in STL.. I'm kind of digging this simulation mode they are talking about - stating normal amount of penalties, less accurate QB's, much better stats in line with the NFL.. hmmmm...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sounds like something I've heard before....

I've found the last couple of year's of Madden gameplay so sterile, to be honest. I have no idea how 2K can make each game of NBA 2K feel semi-unique, while Madden just feels like I'm either going to play against a team with a QB who never misses a throw, or one who just misses some of the time.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #11
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Sounds like something I've heard before....

I've found the last couple of year's of Madden gameplay so sterile, to be honest. I have no idea how 2K can make each game of NBA 2K feel semi-unique, while Madden just feels like I'm either going to play against a team with a QB who never misses a throw, or one who just misses some of the time.

You are on fire with your analogies I completely agree with tonight. Although you didn't mention the realization that I could go 15 for 30 on deep balls with any QB in the league and score 10 touchdowns in last years version, which was around the time I finally put it down for good.

But yeah, I'm sure this is finally the year EA makes a super realistic sim mode. Yay for optimism.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We shall see... there are 3 modes this year, so I'm hopeful they deliver on simulation mode since there's a mode for those who want 10 TD games with Jared Goff.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-09-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
General Mike
Pro Starter

Haven't bought a Madden in 6 years or so after being a buy it every year guy for about 15 years, so I think this year is the year I jump back in.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 PM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

Any news on this? Kind of tempted since my brother will be staying with me for a couple months this fall and we used to play back in the day. Haven't bought Madden in awhile though.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Tracking says mine will be here Monday so hopefully I'll some play time early next week.

I also have a thread going in the dynasty forums, taking the reigns of the 49ers.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #16
General Mike
Pro Starter

I preordered it from Best Buy for store pickup so I should have it today.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #17
djsatu
High School Varsity

Still the same embarrasing shite from EA. Pre-determinted animations are king and still ruin the game. How I wish 2K were still making football games. All Pro 2k8 and NFL 2K5 FTW!

Last edited by djsatu : 08-26-2017 at 10:52 AM.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just received the game today. Madden really hasn't had staying power with me for several years, so I hope 18 gives me that football itch again.

Started a play now game 49ers (me) vs Jets on AP defaults, using the sim and novice settings on 15 min/15 accel quarters.

Love...

Graphics/animations/lighting
Menus are fast to navigate
injuries
Even as a huge novice player I was able to move the ball on offense and play decent on defense
Love the coach recommended plays, allows me to call plays quickly and choose something different when I want to
Presentation is excellent
WR/DB interaction is the best I've ever seen in a football game as well as running
Sacks are earned by calling the right plays and there were only a couple per team
CPU can run the ball
Drops balls, errant throws!

Gripes...

Not one penalty? Is this some sort of play now issue? I thought on sim we would finally see a realistic amount of penalties?

Overall I really liked my first game, not much to complain about besides the lack of penalties and I know there are sliders for that.

The game really seems to do somethings I wouldn't know about since I haven't really played deep into a Madden game - per the novice mode. It was very enjoyable and I can't say enough how impressed I am with the Frostbite engine!

Think I'm ready to start my 49ers franchise!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-28-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Not much talk?

So far this is the best Madden I've played since the Sega Genesis days. I have a dynasty thread going in the dynasty forums.

Default AP 15 min/15 accel.. game plays a solid game of football for my crappy skill level. Realistic injuries, running and passing is excellent, CPU can run on me quite well. Beautiful game to boot!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I bought this for the PS4 and fired it up last night. This is the first Madden I've tried since probably 2005 or so.

It was a lot of fun. Did a fantasy draft.

Any tips on how to run the ball better? I have Leveon Bell and an amazing offensive line (all 90s) and can't seem to run with much success at all.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I bought this for the PS4 and fired it up last night. This is the first Madden I've tried since probably 2005 or so.

It was a lot of fun. Did a fantasy draft.

Any tips on how to run the ball better? I have Leveon Bell and an amazing offensive line (all 90s) and can't seem to run with much success at all.

I am by no means a Maddenite.. lol.. blocking is so much better than I can ever remember so I tend to follow my OL and press RB (xbox1) to "get skinny" through the holes then hit speed burst once I see daylight. Most all of my big runs have been a good play call more so than my skillz with the gamepad.

I almost always use the coach suggested plays.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #22
lungs
Pro Rookie

I throw too many damn interceptions.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll share this anecdote -- courtesy of my college kid -- about the game. I thought it was indicative of the changes in gameplay / increased realism or difficulty.

His house did a fantasy draft league. There's like 8 or 9 of them playing in all so games are pretty frequent. He said you could tell who was playing from the sudden outbursts of loud profanity coming from a room
Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I throw too many damn interceptions.

Me too.. but I am getting better and not worrying about my QB as much and focusing more on my WR's. I am SF though.. we don't have a ton of options.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #25
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Me too.. but I am getting better and not worrying about my QB as much and focusing more on my WR's. I am SF though.. we don't have a ton of options.

My biggest problem is my lack of touch on my passes. I throw a bullet when I don't need to and it goes flying about 15 yards off target and then I'll throw a lob when I should be throwing a bullet. I think my joystick skills are eroding too much with my age. I tried that new passing mode where you throw to a spot on the field and I was even worse at that.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
My biggest problem is my lack of touch on my passes. I throw a bullet when I don't need to and it goes flying about 15 yards off target and then I'll throw a lob when I should be throwing a bullet. I think my joystick skills are eroding too much with my age. I tried that new passing mode where you throw to a spot on the field and I was even worse at that.

I throw to the wrong receivers all the time.. but I will NOT touch that new passing mode, it sucks for me.

My gaming skills have eroded too.. but I'm having a blast playing!

Somehow the game and my cloud save got deleted.. I suspect Stan Kroenke since I just beat his Rams.. but I guess it could have been the kids.

I'm going to fire up another CFM though... I'm really enjoying the mode.