Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
whomario
Pro Starter

NBA 2K17

Ok, i´´ve picked this up as a spur of the moment thing instead of Pro Evolution Soccer after a friend of mine talked it up when we had lunch. From what i have gathered this has the potential to be either the greatest sports game ever (2k16 was pretty awesome already) or a very entertaining train wreck. Why i say this ? Because 2k have swung for the fences big time and i fully approve.

Where other games concentrate more and more on online gameplay, they have only gone and basically added stuff to their career/GM mode that seem insane to expect a console game to pull off. Heck, i´m not even sure DDSPB has all of those.

1) League Expansion. Either at the start of the mode, on command during or randomly/dynamically during. Same customization that was in for relocation last year, only this time fully downloadable presets from users (or was that in ?).
You can also start in a custom league with 30-36 teams with the ability to exachange every team with both classic and Euroleague Teams.

2) New Front Office options/closer to real life in a big way. Derrick Rose rule (more money available to offer a player if he achieves certain goals during his rookie deal), Pick Protections and Swaps.

3) Long overdue, one can finally make trade during the offseason. Gone the days of having to cut players to make space or not being able to create capspace to make an offer in Free Agency.

And weirdest one with the highest trainwreck potential for last:

4) Dynamic Rule Changes. Like changes to the lottery procedure, the shot clock, advancing the ball over half court or a change in the number of All Stars.

Also numerous smaller things, some that i have not yet grasped. For example storylines for draft eligible player, jersey retirements.

Also in game the playcalling has been (again) added to and seems to me a little more intuitive at that. Shot Meter makes more sense as well and is now also applied to stuff like layups and hook shots.

Also Advanced Rotations, basically the ability to decide what lineups you would like out there at what time. I must admit i have as of yet no clue how to actually do this from a "what buttons do i click" standpoint (i did find the menu, called "rotation menu", press start button in the rotation menu).

So yeah, i am definitely excited. I am 100% sure there will be stuff that is broken initially and likely stuff that won´t get fixed this version. But definitely approve them trying to go big here
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 09-15-2016 at 07:10 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm incredibly excited by all of those and many other improvements. Also, if the dynamic rule changes are bad, you can turn them off, so that is good news. But, I'm going to leave them on in my first league. Who knows how the NBA will evolve in future years. I'm off starting at noon tomorrow and plan on a major binge of NBA 2k17 tomorrow.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm incredibly excited by all of those and many other improvements. Also, if the dynamic rule changes are bad, you can turn them off, so that is good news. But, I'm going to leave them on in my first league. Who knows how the NBA will evolve in future years. I'm off starting at noon tomorrow and plan on a major binge of NBA 2k17 tomorrow.

is that "after the fact" ? Because i was looking and could not find the option on startup or during myleague anywhere

Also, if anybody can find/create me a Vancouver Team with an Orca theme rather than a Raven (seriously, why Ravens ?), i would love that Going to try my hand, but had little luck last year getting the Logo to look good Knowing full well how unrealistic it is, i plan on starting an expansion with a Vancouver team and then use trade override to move in Yao Ming as my star player. Might even edit his age down. Realism can suck it this time around

Simming looks whacky as is often the case unfortunately. Swapped some teams just to try this out and Alba Berlin managed to go a respectable 40-42 with their best player being 74 rated and them being by far the weakest team in the league (in that same sim Wilt won DPOY averaging 17/14 with 3 BPG The 12/13 Heat won the Championship)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 09-15-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
whomario
Pro Starter

Yeah, it happens when the league meetings are over. You can not only overturn approved choices but you can also approve the whacky ones that got rejected

First sim i had these results:

Old 09-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't have the game yet, so I don't know where the option is to turn them off. But, it was explicitly stated in the developer blog about MyLeague and MyGM that you could turn off the dynamic rule changes if you don't want them in your league.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Can't wait for midnight. The expansion thing will be fun. I plan to have a league that brings back 5 (+Sonics) ABA teams
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
whomario
Pro Starter

The Menus are pretty damn picturesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Can't wait for midnight. The expansion thing will be fun. I plan to have a league that brings back 5 (+Sonics) ABA teams

What System are you on ? Hope stuff like this gets to the Xbox One

2nd season rule change attempts:

I think there needs to be at least 2/3 majority for things to pass, might even be higher. Still, those 16 teams voting to get rid of the shot clock

Does NOT have an effect on simmed results though. Approved it along with the goaltending just to test if they are actually adapted in game Which they were, though the cpu does not care really about the shot clock. So i guess most things relating to in-game action are more a thing for the user to work out, the cpu won´t really adjust.

What does work is that Team Rivals (another new feature) develop over time. F.e. Alba starts with no rivals, 2 seasons in they have a couple already.

Last edited by whomario : 09-15-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
whomario
Pro Starter

Expansion Teams get the 4th (5th, 6th etc) pick btw.

Other proposed changes:

- Draft eligible at Age 18 (yes, the game creates 18 years olds at the day of the draft. No, they are not from High School)
- College Style FT rule: 1+1 after 5 team fouls, 2 after 10.
- Various FT rule changes in general, as well as Foul Out rule changes
- First 3 picks based on record (best record !)
- Abolishing the trade deadline or moving it
- More/less All stars
- Change in number of fouls for the bonus
- No Luxury Tax
- Sudden Death in OT
- Possession Arrow

Could not figure out what happens when the CBA expires.

You can save and reload when saving after the playoffs to trigger different changes (in myleague)

Last edited by whomario : 09-15-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I was going to hold off but couldn't do it. Pulled the trigger tonight. Hoping to get some action in first thing in the AM before work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
whomario
Pro Starter

Just noticed that they got rid of the different slider styles (sim, casual, default) and now have tied them to the difficulty level and show you exactly (well, in theory) the boost/detraction the user and cpu get for every slider.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:37 AM   #11
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Just played for the first time...probably wasted $60 on Madden.

I only got 2 6-minute quarters in but really liked the feel of control compared to previous years. Things are definitely less animation dependent.

As the Pistons I was up 26-13.

Controls are a bit different so I need to figure that out.

I didn't see anywhere to change shot % based on real life % not my skills, hope they didn't remove it. They still have it for FT but not for field goal attempts, unless I missed it.

Defensive rotations were pretty good...had a nice one where the Bulls collapsed on R Jackson after blowing by J Grant and then I kicked it cross court to J Leuer who buried the 3. The CPU had similar plays but missed the 3.

Rebounding seems better at first glance.

CPU offense was smooth, not a lot of just sitting around waiting for a play to kick in.

Fast breaks were good, on a 3-on-2 R Rondo kicked it out to D Valentine for a 3 (he missed). But for sure it was the right play cause we had the lane shut down.

A lot of deflected passes when the CPU was on offense.

Still some random oddities in where players are on out of bounds plays.

Bulls shot 25% from the field but I'm assuming that is just due to limited time. They were getting good looks just not connecting. Hope so anyway...

Now I can't wait to get back from work...so far so goid

Old 09-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Real FT% and real shooting percentage is available on the opening screen under settings. Hopefully, that sticks with all game modes.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #13
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Sweet I was in game when I tried to change it so that is probably why I didn't see it.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

So, I have a break before a meeting and I'm able to check out the game for a bit before I head to work for meeting... wow. Pro level has shooting at 40 slider setting across the board for CPU and 56 across the board for human. I guess this is the year that I go with All Star as a base and modify. Even on All-Star it has human at 53 across the board and 50 across the board for CPU. I think I will start with All Star but lower human sliders to be equal with CPU sliders.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I also see Real Player percentage in the MyGM menu under options.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #16
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Interesting on the shooting sliders! Seems silly there is no default setting at 50/50

Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Interesting on the shooting sliders! Seems silly there is no default setting at 50/50

I am playing with pretty much everything at 50 and it is playing a very nice game so far. Down 55-45 to the Thunder. My 76ers suck. Ben Simmons can't shoot from outside at all but does have some nice inside scoring. Bayless is my only reliable outside shooter so far. Westbrook torched me for 17 points and 4 assists in the 1st quarter but is only shooting 6 of 17. Default fouls are too low I think.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #18
whomario
Pro Starter

Can one of you guys in their first MyGm run pay attention to what the owner says after giving you the Tutorial ? I am pretty sure he told me where i can find that information again later, but i pressed the wrong button and then spent half an hour searching around for it yesterday ...
Old 09-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #19
whomario
Pro Starter

@Eaglesfan27: Ben Simmons totally torched me yesterday. First time i have ever had guys like him (non-shooter with other major skills) consistently be a factor against me. Same for Livingston as well who totally controlled the game against me, especially when i had to put in Tyus Jones in all his 6 foot nothing glory.
Also Kawhi Leonard was awesome against me. And 3 point bombers now bomb away whenever left open, which was not the case in 2k16. And that´s on default 50 tendencies

Unfortunately i totally ruined my MyGm game by accidentily importing a draft class and thus having duplicates (i then imported another class, but the duplicates on my and other rosters then sudenly could not be traded or signed etc. User error, but still weird).
That expansion team was brutal though. Manu Ginobili and Boban Marjanovic were my best players, then Dellavedova and Casspi as i went along with my owners wish of an aveage squad age of 25 after the expansion draft (no small feat considerung Manu is 39 ). The Hermangomez guys were decent as well.
In the first offseason i snatched the No1 pick and spent it on an otherworldly looking 7´2 Center with postgame, mobility and a midrange game. I also managed to sign Durant, a clear sign that houserules still will be necessary.

Gonna take another run at this tomorrow ... Though starting as an expansion team with a shitload of capspace and unlimited Budget does seem kinda too easy. Then again, my 3rd best player after Durant and the Rookie C would have been 77 rated Dennis Schroder, so not exactly a superteam.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #20
whomario
Pro Starter

Also, i can not recommend the videos from "Da Czar" on youtube highly enough. He´s become part of the development team and is basically their version of Tex Winter in that all those freelance offenses and plays are his brainchild. Incredibly knowledgeable guy who puts out amazing tutorial videos straight from the source. Explaining how the different menus and setups work (f.e. many probably still not realize that "ACE" in coach settings is basically overriding your setup. Which is fine since it works great, but not everybody wants that) F.e. this one on playcalling: Playcalling in NBA 2K17 - YouTube (later vids will probably more streamlined)

Watching his videos increased my understanding and enjoyment of 2k16 immeasurably. It´s kinda a shame that 2k seems intent on creating a sort of shadow-sphere for sim gamers and building a wall by not getting any of that information into the game in the form of a manual or tutorials (not anywhere is it explained how to activate freelance or how to set things up during timeouts. There´s a vid for that as well and getting this down is essential of you torn the Adaptive Coaching Engine off under coach sliders !)

Basically spending some time getting the nuances down now will make things sooo much easier later on. He also recommends basically going All Star at the start, try everything possible with different teams and then later you can decided what sort of offense you want to run.

Last edited by whomario : 09-16-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #21
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Need some help...

I haven't played a basketball game since NBA Live on the Sega Genesis. I don't follow the NBA, have no favorite team, and don't know any of the players now that Bryant has retired.

This year, I started playing basketball with co-workers at lunch and am finding a new appreciation for the game. I ended up pre-ordering 2K17 and played my first game last night. I really like what I see, but I am TERRIBLE!!

I spent some time in the 2KU, and I get the basics, but am having a coordination issue with using the right stick to shoot. I keep falling back to the X button as it just seems more natural. I'm guessing that this is a habit I need to break if I am going to be successful with the game, is that right?

Also, I cannot seem to break free with any 1:1 moves. The defender seems to stick with my PG no matter what spastic gyrations I make with the stick. Is there a basic list of moves that I should be trying first? Last night, all my points were scored from the perimeter, using passes to find the open man...

Is success in this game all about memorizing right stick combos? Or can I be successful with more basic moves and b-ball fundamentals?
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #22
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Need some help...

I haven't played a basketball game since NBA Live on the Sega Genesis. I don't follow the NBA, have no favorite team, and don't know any of the players now that Bryant has retired.

This year, I started playing basketball with co-workers at lunch and am finding a new appreciation for the game. I ended up pre-ordering 2K17 and played my first game last night. I really like what I see, but I am TERRIBLE!!

I spent some time in the 2KU, and I get the basics, but am having a coordination issue with using the right stick to shoot. I keep falling back to the X button as it just seems more natural. I'm guessing that this is a habit I need to break if I am going to be successful with the game, is that right?

Also, I cannot seem to break free with any 1:1 moves. The defender seems to stick with my PG no matter what spastic gyrations I make with the stick. Is there a basic list of moves that I should be trying first? Last night, all my points were scored from the perimeter, using passes to find the open man...

Is success in this game all about memorizing right stick combos? Or can I be successful with more basic moves and b-ball fundamentals?

It definitely works without super skill moves ! You just have to adjust sliders and stuff a little (one place to start is lowering the CPUs On-Ball defense and defensive awarenes while upping your offensive awareness). And ultimately i would highly recommend doing some scrimmages and/or playing on low difficulties against crappy teams to get the hang of it. My suggestion is to

1) look out for some videos like i posted above, the exact idea behind all this strategy is to give people without mad controller-skills a shot at playing the game on a higher level.

2) test out some freelance offenses unless you want to leave it on automatic. Which IMO is a valid option, the game is really smart about adjusting your strategy to the lineup, matchup. In that case you have to (!!) turn on play design on all plays so that you can visualize where your teammates will move and where you have to move (under coach settings) all the time and not just when you call a play yourself. Eventually you will know immediately where to move with the ballhandler to trigger the freelance offense. For most offenses/teams one way is to move the point guard to the ellbow area slightly outside the 3 point line or pass the ball to the SG/SF already positioned there. Everything after you just follow the playvisuals and after a while you see the patterns and know all the different "audibles" so to speak.

3) Create your own playbook in MyGM/MyLeague and adjust it to your roster. Take the playbook of the team you manage, then go into scrimmage and run them. Don´t hesitate to kick out some place or replace them (under coach gameplan in the main menu of mycareer/GM you can navigate with the right trigger to the playbook screen). Eventually you will end up with 20 or so plays that work for you and get a feel for what sort of plays (like 1/4 up plays or Fades) do what so that you can easily adjust your playbook.

I personally definitely struggle with dribble moves myself and actually have reverted back to the shot button for everything but layups and Post Moves. Still have a heck of a time and learned to work around this by building my teams around good passers and shooters (and a post player) rather than attacking guys like Westbrook. The Pick and Roll is your best friend here

I totally realize that the game is absolutely daunting when you are serious about playing basketball rather than just arcade, but i´ll be worth the effort to spent a couple weeks on the basics here. Because the game does an absolutely fantastic job of responding to what you put in in terms of tactics.

Last edited by whomario : 09-16-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #23
wustin
College Prospect

I don't understand why they bother having some of the historic teams if they don't have rights to some of the players like Rasheed Wallace and Steve Nash. What is even the point of having the 05 Suns team in the game if you can't use Steve Nash.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm assuming Charles Barkley can't be traded to regular teams, right? He's Dream Team only?
Old 09-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #25
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
It definitely works without super skill moves !

Awesome stuff here, thanks for the guidance. I really appreciate it!!
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #26
whomario
Pro Starter

Players form "normal" historic teams can be traded, so it´d be worth a try maybe ? (also, isn´t there another classic team with Barkley ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
I don't understand why they bother having some of the historic teams if they don't have rights to some of the players like Rasheed Wallace and Steve Nash. What is even the point of having the 05 Suns team in the game if you can't use Steve Nash.

That totally annoys me, too. Because that was my Plan A obviously, have prime Nash be the focal point for the Vancouver team Might try to recreate him somehow (cause 2k kicked the feature of sharing single player creation, unfortunately )

Or the 2002/2003 Mavs team as well.

Last edited by whomario : 09-16-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #27
korme
Go Reds

In MyCareer, I'm on the Suns. Just played Warriors in Phoenix, our third game. They torched us, it was awesome.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #28
whomario
Pro Starter

My Career bugs me that they player development system is so radical. As a "3 point specialist" i would expect to be able to hit the ocasional 3 and not have a 55 rating there...
Old 09-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #29
wustin
College Prospect

I hope a team with four 90-rated players would torch just about every other team. I don't think Klay and Draymond should be rated that high but they gotta over exaggerate the hype for the game on release I guess.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This game plays beautifully out of the box. I might knock shooting sliders down just a notch or so, but not much else that I see needs adjusting with sliders so far.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I was dominating down low with Embiid and Okafor and the computer started smartly doubling each of them when they got the ball in the post. Adjustments seem like they happen much quicker this version.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #32
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post

I was pretty sure they had him in last years version. If he's not there this year at least there's a pretty solid template for him.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #33
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Where other games concentrate more and more on online gameplay, they have only gone and basically added stuff to their career/GM mode that seem insane to expect a console game to pull off. Heck, i´m not even sure DDSPB has all of those.

Yes DDSPB has league expansion and trading in the offseason (not sure why that apparently wasn't a feature in 2K). It doesn't have the ability for odd rule changes to randomly come into effect and no it does not have the Derrick Rose rule. I could add those minor salary nuances in but to me there's a balance between realism and feeling like you need to attend Larry Coon's seminar in Las Vegas to understand how to play the game

Hope 2K is fun - will probably pick it up for the PS4 (don't remember the last version I had or the last time I played a console game for that matter). If you're looking for a basketball sim though I'll have news on DDS:PB 2017 shortly
Old 09-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Anyone know where to find advanced rotations? I can't seem to find that screen.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #35
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Anyone know where to find advanced rotations? I can't seem to find that screen.

On the regular Rotation screen you have to press the "start" button
Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On the regular Rotation screen you have to press the "start" button

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #37
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Theres another workaround for coach mode this year which I am taking advantage of, and I was wondering if there was a quicker way of calling plays in game other than just calling for a smart play. As of now I have to press L1 then the button that corresponds with the player then L2 to flip through the plays. By the time I have done all that the shot clock is already down to 15 or 16 seconds or player has already shot the ball lol There has to be another way?

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 09-16-2016 at 07:39 PM.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #38
Balldog
Pro Rookie

How do I find the workaround for coach mode?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just simmed my first regular season so I can get some more help around Ben Simmons. Some award winners:

Russell Westbrook won MVP with 27 ppg, 9 rpg, and 10.1 apg. He shot 49% from the field and 37% from the arc.

Simmons won rookie of the year despite me simming most of his games. He ended with 13.3 ppg, 9.2 rpg, and 5.4 apg, 1.8 spg, and 0.8 bpg. He shot 41% from the field and only 16% from the arc.

Brandon Knight on Phoenix won Sixth Man with 17.1 ppg and 5.7 apg.

DeAndre Jordan won defensive player of the year with 14 ppg, 13.9 rpg, 2.9 bpg.

D'Angelo Russell won most improved player and averaged 18.8 ppg and 6 apg.

Fred Hoiberg guided the Wade led Bulls to a 60-22 record to win Coach of the Year.

Oklahoma made some trades and had a 56-26 season to get their GM the award for best this year.

The Cavs beat the Spurs in the NBA Finals led by LeBron who scored 24 ppg, 8.8 rpg, and 11.7 apg in the Finals. He shot 49% from the field and 19% from the arc. He also averaged 3.6 spg! They won the Finals in 5.

Now, I hope we can get lucky and win the draft lottery (Simmons, Okafor, Embiid and Noel led us to 35 wins so our chances aren't as good as I'd like.)

Either way, it's time to swing for the fences in FA as well.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #40
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
How do I find the workaround for coach mode?

1. PLAY game with you on a controller
2. pre tip off switch to SimCast LIVE
3. wait for first basket
4. join the game
5. go back to simcast live
6. quit and save to mygm
7. rejoin game

Enjoy

Would be interested to see how you call plays.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #41
rjolley
College Starter

Hey EF27, how did the Warriors do?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #42
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Hey EF27, how did the Warriors do?

They won 61 games despite injuries to Green and Durant during the year. In the playoffs, they fought through injuries but lost in 7 to the Spurs. In FA, both Durant and Curry were out there and I tried to get them but they both resigned with the Warriors.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #43
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I got a couple games in tonight. First went to Superstar but lowering CPU shooting to 50 and got blown out by 30 by the Celtics. Then I went All-Star with HUM shooting at 50 and had a much better game but still sucked it up. I lost 113-102, I was the Clippers at Rockets.

Jordan was in foul trouble all game, first time I have had that in years!

I had two sweet alley oops to Blake Griffin who had 36 pts 16 Rebs and 6 ast but everyone else stunk it up.

The Cpu really makes you pay for leaving shooters with too much space. Ryan Anderson was killing me. I was so focused on Harden and I'm sure I had the defensive settings messed up but we were a hot mess defensively.

I am convinced at this point the gameplay is greatly improved from a year ago.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 PM   #44
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm also having issues with foul trouble. Simmons has been slowed down by foul trouble in the last 2 games I've played. I agree that I'm very happy with the gameplay so far and it is a huge step up from last year.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #45
whomario
Pro Starter

Another thing the CPU has gotten a lot better at is killing your weak spots on defense. I restarted my career as a myleague, simmed 2 seasons and then expanded the league and took over the Vancouver team (did you know that in my league under "automatation" you can turn off and on Human/cpu controll for every team ? I did not and am now elated as this allows me to take over the teams on certain offseason activities that they stink at, like picking up options and signing draft guys.).

Anyway, i wheeled and dealed a bit and in the end drafted a pretty good looking SG at 7. 75 Ovrl, good shooter, excellent passer. But he´s an atrocious defender and teams seem to go out of their way to remind me
Old 09-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #46
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I also find it much harder to trade for draft picks to get a great team. Teams that are likely to be bad are definitely using the new draft pick protection options when they make deals. Makes it much harder to build a great team. The only "good" (questionable how good) I could add in the offseason was Khris Middleton.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #47
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm loving the on court action this year, feels pretty damn close to perfect. I've seen plays and baskets scored in such varied ways that I would never have seen in previous versions. Feels like a breath of fresh air especially after I wasn't thrilled with the gameplay at release last year.

Seconded on the AI being much better at exploiting your weaknesses - I usually play the center on defense just because it's easy to stay close to the basket, post up and get rebounds and the AI is crushing me, even with mediocre centers.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #48
bhlloy
Coordinator

One slight complaint I might have is teams still don't seem to favor their stars as much as they should, started a mycareer with the Pelicans and Davis only gets enough shots and plays for maybe 15 points a game if I don't jump in and start feeding him. This has always been a bit of a problem for 2k, especially with big men. Even if I do jump in, the recommended plays are usually for Holiday or Evans, so that might need to be tweaked.

On the other hand, it's made me really really hate Tyreke Evans, so maybe it is realistic
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #49
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I tried to hold back...but broke down and bought....just need to wait for the long download to complete.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #50
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
One slight complaint I might have is teams still don't seem to favor their stars as much as they should, started a mycareer with the Pelicans and Davis only gets enough shots and plays for maybe 15 points a game if I don't jump in and start feeding him. This has always been a bit of a problem for 2k, especially with big men. Even if I do jump in, the recommended plays are usually for Holiday or Evans, so that might need to be tweaked.

On the other hand, it's made me really really hate Tyreke Evans, so maybe it is realistic

This should very much be a roster issue, because from what i can tell it is hit-or-miss for certain players and teams. Having essentially simmed ahead by 3 seasons, teams have a pretty different makeup, but Cousins just scored 37 against me on 16-28 shooting. And i had him guarded by Gobert most of the game. Admittedly not a ton of firepower beside him, but it was still pretty impressive. Got his shots in everything from pop-out 3s, Postups and even coming off curls. So the engine can definitely do this.

One issue the game has is not restoring fatigue at half time. I lowered the Slider for fatigue to 40 for both teams to counter this.

Another (huge) problem seems to be that Points of Emphasis are now "under the hood" and the setup you do with the d-pad and in timeouts keeps going back to what is "neutral" even with ACE off. Also, i personally hate the system anyway ... I should be able to set up stuff like "tempo", "rebounding" , what freelance set i run and other gameplanning stuff up before a game or at the very least in a pause-menu.

Another bug is the game assigning all created non-PGs a "dish to open man" tendency of 0-10 or sth, causing them to average super low assists as the tendency plays a role in the sim-engine (can´t be great for gameplay as well). Basically worked out a system for me in that i edit them after the new season starts, at least the first rounders. Not fixed values, more winging it ... 20-50 for bigs and 30-55 for most SF/SG seem good, the odd point forward i assign 60-80.
Of course, that´s not an option for MyGm ...

I also hate that the stupid and random lofted Pass from the regular pass button or Icon Passing is still in the game ... Why not have 1 button for normal pass, same button double-tap = bullet pass ?

Have had some success doing flashy passes on the Pick and Roll as well as more bounce passes ... (though they have their own problems, like: Are there even kick balls in the game ?)