Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Snow in the freaking Lowcountry?????

Some of the local forecasters are talking about the potential for all-time records in my area. (That's not much. We're talking 6 inches or so as a record, depending on your locale.) Even Savannah is expecting 1-3 inches. When I moved down here I thought I was done with winter precipitation. I was completely stunned when I woke up and saw that we're under a Winter Storm Warning here that stretches all the way down to Waycross (and maybe beyond). Yowza.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

'77 - HAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Wow, it hasn't snowed here (Hilton Head, SC) in years and even then it was just a couple of flakes that quickly melted. It doesn't look like it will match the famous winter storm of '89 when we had half a foot of snow though, that was the last time we had any that accumulated on the ground. It was kind of funny that year, my parents invited a bunch of relatives from Michigan down for Christmas because it's usually pretty nice (around 50 or so) around here during the winter. They all mentioned that they could have stayed home to see that kind of weather, and only visited during spring/summer after that. I loved it though, it was the only time during my childhood where there was enough snow to build a snowman or have snowball fights. These days I'd rather it be warm of course.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

I think the mods should move this to the other snow thread.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

I think it's ok. I mean the other thread isn't called the OFFICIAL snow thread.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I think it's ok. I mean the other thread isn't called the OFFICIAL snow thread.
Durn tootin'
Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It is an amazing winter. Baton Rouge usually goes 5-10 years between snow events, but there have been 3 different days of snow in the last 14 months.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
dacman
College Benchwarmer

There's 2 feet of snow on the ground and it's about 10 degrees here right now, so you can guess what I think of this thread.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As luck would have it, we picked up a sled for Sam (new, off of Craigslist, for nothing!) last weekend, so we'll be going to the neighborhood park tomorrow and Sunday to pull him around in the snow and so he can watch older kids go down the "snow hill" or play hockey in the outdoor ice rink.

I suggest all of you with kids do the same. ENJOY the snow!!!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

Yeah...we have a 10-month-old now. She won't remember it, but I'm charging up the video camera.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I am in DFW and we have more snow outside than any other time of recorded history.

My 3 year old boy and I are about to go outside for the 10th time to get our snow on.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Easy Mac

Im pretty sure it snowed when I lived there a few years ago, but it wasn't much.
Im still waiting for snow to hit Greenville, since they'll close my daughter's day care.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

Whats all this talk about...snow? Whats snow?

I'm not sure I understand the concept....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
miked
College Starter

Snowing fairly heavily right now, backyard looking like it will be romped on by a dog and 10month old.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
Silver Owl
High School JV

Just heard that today is the first time in recorded history that there is snow on the ground in all 48 contiguous states at the same time.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm really happy for you, Ben E Lou, and imma let you finish, but Buffalo had one of the best winter storms of all time! OF ALL TIME!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I heard on the radio, that we might have a situation today, where snow falls in all 51 states of the USA

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Snowing fairly heavily right now, backyard looking like it will be romped on by a dog and 10month old.
Video pls k thx.

'Cause you KNOW I'm charging up the video camera right now. We've got Carter's "mountains" clothes out and ready to roll tomorrow morning.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah expecting up to 5 inches of snow here in Myrtle Beach, sadly it may not start snowing till after dark here, but would be great to wake up in the morning to a white yard (and have it melt away quickly)
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl View Post
Just heard that today is the first time in recorded history that there is snow on the ground in all 48 contiguous states at the same time.

Probably a safe bet that Alaska has it on the ground, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Snowing in the big A. No road problems, thankfully. We are expecting 1-2 inches.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

Y'know, what they're saying doesn't completely jibe. They're saying this sucker is going to intensify off the SC coast and basically that's what's going to hit us. This phrasing in the WSW is interesting:

Quote:
Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches... with locally
higher amounts... can be expected through late tonight.
That "locally higher amounts," combined with the comments about offshore intensification, makes it sound to me somewhat like "everybody's gonna get 3 inches or so, but some of you people used to wearing sandals in January and February are gonna get it like you've never gotten it there before."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-12-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #23
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Video pls k thx.

'Cause you KNOW I'm charging up the video camera right now. We've got Carter's "mountains" clothes out and ready to roll tomorrow morning.

Charging it while she's napping. Thank goodness for the Flip I guess. I'm sure Carter's hair will run wild. I'm sure my wife will dress Ayla up like that kid in A Christmas Story.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I know from living in Dallas and now Seattle that snow when people aren't used to it can really mess stuff up, otherwise rational people turn into total idiots.

Hope everyone stays safe and has fun with the now as I know many of you have youngsters.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I just took a nap on my lunch break...in my car...with the window rolled down...to catch a cooling breeze...in 70 degree weather.

WTH are you people talking about!!!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #26
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I just took a nap on my lunch break...in my car...with the window rolled down...to catch a cooling breeze...in 70 degree weather.

Better watch you don't end up in the ocean anytime soon
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #27
Passacaglia
Coordinator

That 500 Days of Summer movie had it all wrong.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I would hate living in year round warm weather, seems to monotonous to me.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #29
Ben E Lou

Heh. So I posted this at 3:07, edited at 3:08...
Quote:
Y'know, what they're saying doesn't completely jibe. They're saying this sucker is going to intensify off the SC coast and basically that's what's going to hit us. This phrasing in the WSW is interesting:

That "locally higher amounts," combined with the comments about offshore intensification, makes it sound to me somewhat like "everybody's gonna get 3 inches or so, but some of you people used to wearing sandals in January and February are gonna get it like you've never gotten it there before."
I had no idea that the NWS was monitoring FOFC...
Quote:
Updated: 3:14 PM EST on February 12, 2010
Winter Storm Warning in effect until 6 am EST Saturday...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 11 am EST Saturday for Lake Moultrie...

Tonight
Snow...mainly this evening. Lows in the upper 20s. Snow accumulation of 4 to 6 inches. North winds 15 to 20 mph...except north 20 to 25 mph along the Lakeshore. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #30
Ben E Lou

Honestly, I suspect that some places a bit more inland than where I am are going to get absolutely hammered tonight (at least for this part of the country.)
Old 02-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Better watch you don't end up in the ocean anytime soon

I got my scuba gear in the trunk, I'm cool.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #32
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I would hate living in year round warm weather, seems to monotonous to me.

I guess I could see that if I didn't grow up in it, and was used to snow and cold and changing seasons. But I have always lived in CA. And I like warm weather. So give me that all year round, no problem.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #33
Kodos
Resident Alien

I would be thrilled to never have the seasons change. Year round warm weather = cloud nine.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #34
rjolley
College Starter

I heard Delta and others canceled tons of flights today. One of the guys here was flying back to Atlanta and everything was canceled. I hope they have it all cleared by Tuesday when I fly back. I didn't want to come here when I could do this work from home.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #35
Thomkal
Head Coach

It's snowing here in Myrtle Beach now, sticking to the ground, probably an inch right now.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #36
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
It's snowing here in Myrtle Beach now, sticking to the ground, probably an inch right now.
We're at 2ish inches now, and still coming down quite hard. I'm in the Charleston metro area roughly 10-12 miles inland.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #37
Ben E Lou

Heh...they just updated our forecast again to 5-7 inches with "locally higher amounts."
Old 02-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #38
RedKingGold
College Starter

You Southern people and "OMG WE GOT AN INCH OF SNOW!?!?111!!"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look at the four feet of snow I have outside.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #39
Thomkal
Head Coach

heh I was born and raised in New York State, so I know all about snow. Been down here in SCarolina for 10 years or so with almost no snow during that time, so this snow brings back some fun memories...and now the snow can go away quickly now that I've revisited them.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #40
Easy Mac

Quote:

We got about 4-6 inches right now in gville. I just got done walking the dog in shorts, a tee shirt with holes, and sandals. Nothing like cold snow between your toes on a 15 minute walk.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #41
Ben E Lou

I'm not really sure how much we have, but the roads and lawns and covered, and it's still coming down hard. SWMBO commented a while ago that she thinks we've seen more snow tonight than she saw in the ten years she lived in Tucker. (And I think she's right.)
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #42
Thomkal
Head Coach

they just cancelled the Myrtle Beach Marathon that was scheduled for tomorrow. One of the bigger events here, so that's unfortunate. One or two inches here I'd say at the moment.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #43
KWhit
Coordinator

We probably have 4 inches in the burbs of ATL right now.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
We probably have 4 inches in the burbs of ATL right now.

Yeah, about like Athens I think. I'd say it might be getting closer to five inches here since it's still coming down pretty steadily.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #45
Recoil
High School Varsity

4 inches in the mountains of north GA. Definitely not the "dusting" that was predicted for these parts
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #46
Ben E Lou

Lots of snow-covered palm and palmetto trees in my neighborhood this morning. Those should make for some fun pics once it gets light.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 AM   #47
Ben E Lou

Interesting. Snow is far more rare here than in Atlanta, but I suppose the smaller-town media just doesn't cover it much. It the A-T-L, every local station would have had coverage with a silly title ("SnowJam 2010," "SnowWatch 2010," etc.) and of course ajc.com would be updated throughout the night. There's no news coverage at all yet this morning, and the Charleston Post and Courier web site still has stuff about the snowstorm expected "tonight." I'm reading on Facebook where a buddy of mine says 17,000 people in my county are without power, but I suppose I'd have to comb the radio stations to find one that's reporting that sort of thing. I'm also reading on FB that some of the bridges are closed around town--very believable, but really no way to confirm that so far. Maybe at 6 the local news will have something?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #48
Ben E Lou

Heh. The Charleston newspaper site does have some reader-submitted pics from last night. Based on the accompanying article I just read it sounds like their site hasn't been updated since around 9:30pm--before the snow actually got heavy.

My favorite pic from the early part of the snow...

Old 02-13-2010, 05:02 AM   #49
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Maybe at 6 the local news will have something?
Not.

ABC: "P. Allen Smith Gardens."
CBS: "Party Food Ideas."
NBC: "Paid Programming."

The paid programming on NBC is an infomercial for an anti-aging formula for women.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #50
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote