Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Frank Thomas to officially retire, Sox to retire #35

Former Chicago White Sox slugger Frank Thomas to announce retirement on Friday - ESPN Chicago

Quote:
The White Sox are expected to announce at that time that Thomas' No. 35 will be retired the summer, according to major league sources. A source speculated the ceremony could occur around Aug. 2, which is the 20-year anniversary of when Thomas broke in with the Sox.

MLB.com first reported that Thomas would retire. Thomas, who played for the White Sox from 1990-2005, told MLB.com he spent last winter, as well as much of this offseason, thinking about his future and waiting for offers that never surfaced. The five-time All-Star is thought to be a strong contender for the Baseball Hall of Fame when he becomes eligible in 2014.

Thomas, arguably the greatest player in Sox history, holds numerous team records, including all-time home run and RBI marks. Thomas, who turns 42 on May 27, has pursued a career in broadcasting since failing to hook on with a team after 2008.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Props to my favorite player of all time - ever - in any sport.

Single handedly got me to watch baseball - and most sports. I was 5 when he was drafted. I miss him, and always will.

5 years from now, hoping for HOF.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

Should be a HOF lock.

Also, the only guy who actually cooperated with the Mitchell report, by granting an interview. Class act all the way.

Last edited by molson : 02-12-2010 at 12:59 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
Philliesfan980
Banned

It's really a shame that this guy played in the "Steroids Era" because his overall legacy is going to be diminished just because his numbers didn't destroy his peers. I know we can really never know for certain, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying that the guy was not a steroids user. One of the all time greats.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
It's really a shame that this guy played in the "Steroids Era" because his overall legacy is going to be diminished just because his numbers didn't destroy his peers. I know we can really never know for certain, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying that the guy was not a steroids user. One of the all time greats.

I think we're going to be saying this a lot in the next 5-10 years. Very sad for baseball...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

I started watching baseball around the time the Jays won their second World Series, and Frank Thomas scared the crap out of me as a kid (not in the sense that he'd kill me personally, but as an opposing baseball player).
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
DanGarion
Coordinator

One of my favorite players of all time. I used to have a "Big Hurt" poster in my bedroom. Amazing talent.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I remember following him when he broke in. Class act all the way.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Always watched to see what he would do.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

My favorite nickname in all of sports.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Actually, in his 20s, one can argue his numbers DID destroy his peers. In his first 8 seasons (including his 60 game rookie season), he didn't have a season OPS+ BELOW 174. That's incredible (for comparison's sake, Joe Mauer's OPS+ last season was 170).
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Seriously, the guy was probably the best hitter around for a good number of years. I remember playing World Series Baseball on Genesis and using the Sox almost exclusively cause of Thomas.

I think he came off as a quieter guy, which allowed him to be underrated somehow.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Definitely a HOF guy. Again, doesn't get enough credit for speaking out against steroids and putting his money where his mouth was.

People talk about Jim Rice as being the "most feared hitter" when they were trying to generate some publicity for him. This is a guy who deservedly was the most feared hitter and has the numbers to back it up.

As amazing as Albert Pujols is, Frank Thomas was even better the first 8 years of his career. That's just mind-boggling.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

I'd bet he was a 'roid user. Then again, I don't really care if he was.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

You should go back into retirement.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You should go back into retirement.

Frank Thomas should have gone into retirement 3 years ago.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote