Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Shifting Careers - Rather Getting Back In

I have a job to where I am traveling every other week...it's a great job to where when I am home, I am home...but it is also commissioned base and due to the economy I don't see things getting any better. I have traveled in one form or another since 99 for work with a stint of about 3 years at home when I worked as a Systems Analyst. My family has made the statement recently, they need me home.

So here is my question if any of you have experienced it.

I am shifting from traveling sales/consultant job and looking to get back into Systems Analyst / Web Development position or I can do training...I would be willing to take a sales position locally if it construed a base plus commission like one of my friends has (He gets his commission check at the end of the year but it is 1% of total sales)

1. How hard is the shift as far as resume go?

2. Anyone have any experience writing resumes or have a sit for them that focuses on the career change?

I might have more as they pop up.

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Good luck, and I'll I thought when I saw the thread title was Dan Rather is coming back to be an Anchor??? wow hes old.

lol.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Wow, you're straddling the fence between a comissioned sales job and a programming position? How do you sleep at night let alone look youself in the mirror every day?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
Wow, you're straddling the fence between a comissioned sales job and a programming position? How do you sleep at night let alone look youself in the mirror every day?

Not straddling, ready to make the jump. Problem is my portfolio is all tied in internally at past corporate positions to where I wasn't able to bring it with me.

I do have the knowledge of PHP/MySQL to do well, however I am looking at ramping up the .NET and Silverlight work for RIA.

It's mainly the pay...trust me when I say if it wasn't for the economy a programming position would be a pay cut.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

No kidding. I know I couldn't live with myself if I were capable of the soul selling required in sales .

I have no useful comments for you .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I don't have any real advice, but wanted to wish you luck.
/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Isn't Cisco hiring a bunch of people? Don't know if they have anything in your area though.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

I have unfortunately been in the same general line of work since 1990, so no advice, but I do want to wish you luck.

I could never have logged the time you did on the road buddy and respect you for being able to do it for so long, but glad you will bet more Family time now.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you have plenty of sales experience and one of the roles in which you're interested in training, you should take a look at doing sales training. Sales training jobs are pretty lucrative, they often involve staying in one place as people come to you, and recruiters place a high value on people with plenty of sales experience transitioning into these roles, possibly even to the point where they'll just train you in instructional design if necessary.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote