Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Finally a true Civ Boardgame?

hxxp://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25613/through-the-ages-a-story-of-civilization

Played this game last night with the famly and it was a hit. My brother and two nephews are all fans of the Civ series and have been looking for a boardgame that would scratch that itch.

The game is divided into 4 eras, Ancient, Middle, Renaissance, and Modern (A, I, II, III.). Each has its own set of wonders, techs, and military units. During your turn, you get a set number of civil and military actions you can perform based upon your government and leaders. Civil actions are used to build infrastructure (farms, mines, libraries, labs, etc.) as well as population and new cards/leaders. Military actions are used to build your military or get new tactics cards (army bonus cards) into play.

There is no world map. Instead, combat is abstract. Each civilization has a strength. If you play a war or aggression card, your strength is compared to your opposition, the attacker can "sacrifice" units to gain their strength again. The defense can then match. The balancing act is how to attack without making you a target for other nations. Also, to keep from beating up the low man on the totem pole, you can only gain as much as the loser loses in a war. The result is that military affects everything in the game, but is not overpowering. It is possible to have low military or high military games. What you do not want to do, is have a bunch of something (science, culture, infrastructure, etc.) without a means of protecting it.

The winner is the nation with the most culture at the end of the game.

I figured I would give everyone a heads up since I know there are a fair number of Civ and boardgamers on the forums.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wasn't Civ originally based on a boardgame?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Very loosely on AH Civilization which you cannot find. This plays in 4 hours rather than 12.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Damn Warhammer.. you just discover Monopoly too???
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It's worse than that. He just discovered this game called Warhammer.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Very loosely on AH Civilization which you cannot find. This plays in 4 hours rather than 12.

I have a copy of AH Civilization. I think it's only partially punched. There was never a chance I was going to find enough people to play it but I kept buying 'em anyways.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
mrsimperless
College Prospect

AH Civilization == Advanced Civilization?

Played Advanced Civilization in college and also had the pc version at one point in time. It was a very combat unfriendly game as you couldn't really win by conquest. Trading was key.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Trading was fun in that -- as long as everyone knew when to quit. I liked the fact that you didn't need to do any conquest or have a spacious empire to win.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
Daimyo
College Starter

I've had TtA for at least a year now and still haven't played it once.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote