Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
College Football, Week 3 discussions

Arkansas at Texas has been postponed because of Ike. The game has been rescheduled for Sept. 27th.

TEXAS LONGHORNS Official Athletic Site
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Heh.

Maybe we can actually figure out how to, you know, actually play decently by then.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Notre Dame sucks, pass it on
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

But seriously ..

Michigan vs Notre Dame will set offense in football back 25 years
Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is it me or is ESPN doing its best NOT to advertise the Thursday night game? I have barely heard anything about it.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

The Miners aren't going to lose this week, I swear it!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
The Miners aren't going to lose this week, I swear it!

Bye week?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Yes

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is it me or is ESPN doing its best NOT to advertise the Thursday night game? I have barely heard anything about it.

It's very weird. In the past, they've hyped Rutgers' Thursday night games plenty (and I'm not saying that they hype the game because it's Rutgers; just that it caused me to notice the hype).

Really looking forward to it. Our game against UNC last year was very good, where we won on a short pass breakup to end the game. I'm flying back from DC but I'll cut the tailgating short as I plan on being in the stadium nice and early. There will be some nice pregame 9/11 ceremonies going on, and I expect it to be a focal point of the broadcast.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Arkansas at Texas has been postponed because of Ike.

A moral victory for the Razorbacks.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
But seriously ..

The combined score in that game will not reach 35.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:57 AM   #12
JHandley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
The combined score in that game will not reach 35.

Unless college football has added several quarters to a game, there's no way these two teams will reach more than 20.

Notre Dame is all around awful. Michigan's best offensive play is pass interference.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:22 AM   #13
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Stanford is playing @TCU this week. I think this is a critical game for the Cardinal. A win puts them at 2-1..just four tantalizing wins away from bowl eligibility. Come on, Harballs...GET!IT!DONE!.

GO STANFORD!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

So, Charlie Weis in danger at Notre Dame? They barely beat San Diego State... should have lost that game, let's be honest. SDSU is a bottom tier I-A team this year. ND doesn't look appreciably better than last season. If they go 3-9 or something like that again, is he gone?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #15
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, Charlie Weis in danger at Notre Dame? They barely beat San Diego State... should have lost that game, let's be honest. SDSU is a bottom tier I-A team this year. ND doesn't look appreciably better than last season. If they go 3-9 or something like that again, is he gone?

No chance Weis gets fired even if they lose the rest of their games.

But it would be funny for Charlie and Ty to get fired in the same year
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #16
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But it would be funny for Charlie and Ty to get fired in the same year

If they fire Weis, they can be the only school in the country paying for 3 head coaches. It could be 4 but I think they are done paying for Bob Davies.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

they wont fire Charlie, he is fat.
If he was skinny - GONE!
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

They're hyping the Friday game pretty heavily. Kansas @ South Florida is a pretty good matchup.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I didn't realize this until I just read the Austin paper, but the Arkansas-Texas game is now the same weekend as the Austin City Limits music festival. So it is going to be even MORE crazy, if that's possible, in Austin that weekend.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #20
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
They're hyping the Friday game pretty heavily. Kansas @ South Florida is a pretty good matchup.

(Insert Big East Joke about playing on the same night as high school football & having the same quality of play here)

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 09-11-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I didn't think they were having one this week because of the Friday night Kansas v. USF game, but then I heard about it on the radio.

Michigan/Norte Dame will be brutal offensively. Both of Michigan's quarterbacks are awful. Their offensive line is pretty bad as well.

This Rich Rod thing is going to take a while...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #22
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Bah! Who needs ESPN? I'm going to the game tonight

And to keep the fans entertained, they will show highlights of the MLS Primetime game - but only during 1st and 2nd downs...

Go Heels
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #23
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Both of Michigan's quarterbacks are awful. Their offensive line is pretty bad as well.

They'll still beat Penn State
Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

CRACK THOSE NUTS!!!!

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Without Beanie. We're smoked.

What's the chance this is just Coach T fucking with USC?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think Wells' injury is pretty serious. I was surprised he was going to play this week and I was predicting that if he did play, he wouldn't finish the game healthy.

It gives the Buckeyes' a scapegoat though if they get blown out.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #27
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I think Wells' injury is pretty serious. I was surprised he was going to play this week and I was predicting that if he did play, he wouldn't finish the game healthy.

Regardless of who is playing the only scapegoat for whatever team that gets the loss is that they are inferior to the other team.

Oh and that Ohio State really sucks...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #28
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, here it is...I think this is a game that well define the rest of the season for BYU...they can be the Cardiac Cougs of the past where we are in a straight out shootout or we can nut up and actually play a full game.

With UCLA coming into Provo a loud noisy environment where it is potentially going to be 81 degrees can be fun. I know Slick Rick and company will have their team prepared as will Bronco.

I have us pegged to win by a FG but I am scared as hell (Praying 1st half Craft shows up the entire game)
Old 09-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #29
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

He went down like he was shot, I figured it was an ACL, Achilles, or broken ankle when he went down. If he plays, I don't think he will play the rest of the season. They are jeopardizing the Big Ten title if he plays.

I mean, I want to beat Southern Cal as much as the next guy... but not at this price.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #30
bignej
High School JV

I'm a big Buckeye fan but that video was genius.

That said, if Stanford can beat USC at home, I think we have a much better chance than ESPN and some people around would lead you to believe.

Last edited by bignej : 09-11-2008 at 03:38 PM.
bignej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #31
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
To combine threads, defending ND's performance is like putting lipstick on a pig at this point, but they at least did outplay SDSU. Yes, they got the fumble at the goalline (which I thought was in) but the refs missed somehow Hughes' knee being down on an ND "fumble" at the 2 in the 2nd quarter, so those two cancel out. One bright spot was that our receivers (Tate, Floyd and Grimes at least; Kumara was a disgrace) were constantly burning the SDSU corners (supposedly their strongest unit on defense) with basically fade routes everywhere on the field, and Clausen did show nice touch on those balls. And even though SDSU had like 2 healthy D-linemen (and lost to a 1-AA team last week) we didn't allow a sack for the first time in 3 years, so at least the o-line can't be any worse than last year.

Weis won't be fired because the team is starting majority freshman/sophomores, and they'll still probably go over .500 because the schedule is terrible. Seriously, Michigan at home is no worse than the 5th best team on our schedule - USC/Mich St/BC/Purdue the only ones close, and BC is probably worse than Mich this year. And there are good signs - Clausen (so) looks like a legitimate QB now that he has a little time (the 2nd INT was the only terrible read by him, the first was a perfect throw through Kumara's hands and off his chest) and guys like Allen (so) Tate (so) and Floyd (fr) looked good.

One thing I don't understand is how more Michigan fans (or at least the ones I talk to) aren't more pissed off about the way Rich Rodriguez has handled the offense since coming in. I realize Rodriguez has his offense and Mallett was a horrible fit for it, but what any half-decent coach does is coach the offense your personnel fits until you can bring in guys for your system, then switch over. Lie your ass off to Mallett, run a pro-style offense and you'll be competing for 2nd in the B10 behind OSU. Have overconfidence in yourself, try to run your offense with a walk on QB (and surprisingly poor RB's) and consign your team to a .500 record at best. (Yes, I know it seemed he was banking on Pryor coming in and starting from Day 1, but not only is tying your program to one recruit the type of shit Illinois should be pulling, not Michigan, you could redshirt Pryor for a year or just tell Mallett to fuck off once Pryor signed - it's not going to hurt Rodriguez's reputation.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #32
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Oklahoma visits Washington. As recently as 6 seasons ago, this would've been a good matchup. Now, under the Ty Willingham error, it's going to be a laugher for the Sooners.

This season (and Ty's time here) can't end soon enough.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #33
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Oklahoma visits Washington. As recently as 6 seasons ago, this would've been a good matchup. Now, under the Ty Willingham error, it's going to be a laugher for the Sooners.

This season (and Ty's time here) can't end soon enough.

I was at the game when Washington came to Norman, and it wasn't a bad game. I remember Stanback giving the OU defense fits at times. While I think you're right that the Huskies aren't what they were in years past and on paper OU should win by at least a couple of scores, the Sooners still have something to prove on the road. Take out Tulsa (probably over half OU fans) and Texas (50/50), Oklahoma put up some half-ass efforts on the road last season.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #34
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
To combine threads, defending ND's performance is like putting lipstick on a pig at this point, but they at least did outplay SDSU. Yes, they got the fumble at the goalline (which I thought was in) but the refs missed somehow Hughes' knee being down on an ND "fumble" at the 2 in the 2nd quarter, so those two cancel out. One bright spot was that our receivers (Tate, Floyd and Grimes at least; Kumara was a disgrace) were constantly burning the SDSU corners (supposedly their strongest unit on defense) with basically fade routes everywhere on the field, and Clausen did show nice touch on those balls. And even though SDSU had like 2 healthy D-linemen (and lost to a 1-AA team last week) we didn't allow a sack for the first time in 3 years, so at least the o-line can't be any worse than last year.

Weis won't be fired because the team is starting majority freshman/sophomores, and they'll still probably go over .500 because the schedule is terrible. Seriously, Michigan at home is no worse than the 5th best team on our schedule - USC/Mich St/BC/Purdue the only ones close, and BC is probably worse than Mich this year. And there are good signs - Clausen (so) looks like a legitimate QB now that he has a little time (the 2nd INT was the only terrible read by him, the first was a perfect throw through Kumara's hands and off his chest) and guys like Allen (so) Tate (so) and Floyd (fr) looked good.

One thing I don't understand is how more Michigan fans (or at least the ones I talk to) aren't more pissed off about the way Rich Rodriguez has handled the offense since coming in. I realize Rodriguez has his offense and Mallett was a horrible fit for it, but what any half-decent coach does is coach the offense your personnel fits until you can bring in guys for your system, then switch over. Lie your ass off to Mallett, run a pro-style offense and you'll be competing for 2nd in the B10 behind OSU. Have overconfidence in yourself, try to run your offense with a walk on QB (and surprisingly poor RB's) and consign your team to a .500 record at best. (Yes, I know it seemed he was banking on Pryor coming in and starting from Day 1, but not only is tying your program to one recruit the type of shit Illinois should be pulling, not Michigan, you could redshirt Pryor for a year or just tell Mallett to fuck off once Pryor signed - it's not going to hurt Rodriguez's reputation.)

If you believe the UM guys at Rivals, Lloyd Carr could've stayed and Mallett was gone. He was homesick and it never got any better. Players have said as much.

The offense is what it is. Lloyd let Jason Foricer transfer, not RichRod. If he were here he'd be starting now. I don't fault that to RichRod at all.

As far as Pryor, they had a kid, BJ Daniels, who saw time already at USF, and RichRod had to pull his schollie because people close to the story say his family wanted a little more then a schollie. Not the kid himself, but some family members involved in the process, so Rich said no thank you. He tried getting in on Star Jackson, but it was too late and then Nick Harper when to Oregon, so he had nothing left but go for Pryor.

You have to understand, we have one returning OL, and the rest of the guys are seeing the field for the first time. That is going to make any team look awful. Minor and Brown were hurt all Spring, so we have to play Freshman at RB because they saw the most healthy snaps.

Give it time. I figured 8-4, and that was with a Utah loss. We can have a shot to get there, and this ND game is huge in doing that, but by years end, we'll be fine. The offense has looked fine, it's the QB play that has been awful. Threet has missed so many open WR's it isn't funny, but what do you do?

The potential can be seen, just need the consistency.

But to say RichRod has handled this awfully is a bit harsh. He playing with the hands he was dealt. Even with Lloyd Carr this team is going to struggle.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #35
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
But seriously ..

I dunno, I'm thinking its gonna be pretty seriously offensive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
A moral victory for the Razorbacks.

Any port in a storm eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Well, here it is...I think this is a game that well define the rest of the season for BYU...they can be the Cardiac Cougs of the past where we are in a straight out shootout or we can nut up and actually play a full game.

With UCLA coming into Provo a loud noisy environment where it is potentially going to be 81 degrees can be fun. I know Slick Rick and company will have their team prepared as will Bronco.

I have us pegged to win by a FG but I am scared as hell (Praying 1st half Craft shows up the entire game)

I realy like this matchup, should make for a very entertaining game.

As for the tOSU/USC matchup, we suck against USC, haven't beaten them in how many years? let alone the injury and putting the real load on the QB. I await the day that the Buckeyes are know for a real NFL calibur QB instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #36
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
to say RichRod has handled this awfully is a bit harsh. He playing with the hands he was dealt. Even with Lloyd Carr this team is going to struggle.
I didn't think they'd be competing for anything more than the Lloyd Carr 8-4/9-3 special, and if Mallett transferring was out of Rodriguez's hands that does change things.
Quote:
You have to understand, we have one returning OL, and the rest of the guys are seeing the field for the first time. That is going to make any team look awful.
Don't I know it after last year Although the following statement makes me think you're still in the denial phase
Quote:
Give it time. I figured 8-4, and that was with a Utah loss. We can have a shot to get there, and this ND game is huge in doing that, but by years end, we'll be fine. The offense has looked fine, it's the QB play that has been awful.

The potential can be seen, just need the consistency.
Michigan and its fanbase have always been classy, and I've always respected them as opponents. It will turn around, although probably not this year imo. Good luck the rest of the way, just not on Saturday. I'd like a little revenge for 38-0.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #37
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yates is not a good qb.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Yates is not a good qb.

nope.

I would love to say great hold by RU but it was all Yates
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

and Teel attempts to get Underwood murdered
Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #40
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Underwood deserves a free shot on Teel after that.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #41
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

And he does the same thing on the next down!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #42
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Two inept qbs tonight.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #43
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Trust me, I am not in denial with Michigan. It is what it is this season, and probably next year, too. This freshman class has a lot of talent on the OL but it is all young. In two more years, this can be a dominate team, but it'll take time.

Saturday will be fun, but oh so ugly. I think a 17-13 type game.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #44
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Yates has had all day to throw the ball
Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #45
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What the fuck Rutgers...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #46
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I really want to know who at ESPN still thinks Dr Lou is a good idea?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #47
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

what a hit
Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #48
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Dammit Teel...way to throw a jump ball in double coverage.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

WTF Teel
Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #50
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Wow this is a nightmare for Rutgers.