Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

August Console Sales Numbers (post 179)

Hardware, June results in parenthesis, then year to date, limetime to date :

DS ........... 608k (783k) 3.795m (21.385m)
Wii ........... 555k (666k) 4.038m (11.407m)
PS3........... 225k (405k) 1.833m (5.081m)
PSP........... 222k (337k) 1.704m (12.216m)
Xbox 360... 205k (219k) 1.546m (10.67m)
PS2 ...........155k (188k)

Boy that MGS4 bump didn't last. The $50 price drop for the 360 premium didn't do much, though I forget exactly when it occurred, perhaps it was only a few days or a week? Wii outsells the HD twins combined for the fifth straight month despite decreased sales, and the DS continues trucking along.

360 NCAA FOOTBALL 09 .......................... 397.6K
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD .................. 369.6K
NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR ................. 309.7K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE .............................. 284K
PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 09 .......................... 242.5K
360 SOUL CALIBUR IV ............................. 218.9K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL ..................... 174.5K
WII ROCK BAND SPECIAL ED BUNDLE ........ 165.8K
PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV .............................. 155.8K
360 SID MEIER'S CIV REVOLUTION ........... 147.6K

Nice to see console gamers showing some love to Civilization, although I'm sure many of these folks are big fans of the PC games as well.

I'm surprised MGS4 didn't stay on the charts after selling 774k (near a million when counting bundled copies), it goes to show what a love it/hate it series it is. The hardcore fans buy it the day it comes and not that many other people really care. It was still sold in bundles though, so that helps. I like seeing the good games do well.

With Soul Calibur IV sales around 400k through July in the US and around 130k in Japan, and Namco announcing that they've shipped two million copies to retails, I might be able to get that on sale pretty soon. Nice.

NCAA Football comparison with NCAA 08 in parenthesis:

360 NCAA FOOTBALL 09 397.6K (397k)
PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 09 242.5K (156k)
PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 09 ??? (236k)

When the top 20 comes out maybe we'll see where/if the PSP, Wii, and PS2 versions wound up. I liked how the 360 version's sales are identical to last year's.

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-14-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wonder what SC IV would have sold if it were on the Wii

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
PS2 ...........155k ( ? )
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wonder what SC IV would have sold if it were on the Wii

SI

Soul Calibur II only sold so well on the Cube because of Link amirite

Street Fighter IV should really get a Wii version. Street Fighter II on the SNES is Capcom's highest-selling game of all time, and Street Fighter II Turbo is the third highest. SF4 is relying heavily on SF2 nostalgia (All eight characters plus the four bosses in that game are returning, and there haven't been many from the other games announced), when the series was at its peak before the Alpha series and SF3 saw the series decline in popularity. It makes sense financially, the game would sell a lot more with a Wii port especially considering the situation in Japan. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, another fighting game heavily dependent on nostalgia, has sold millions. Why not?

Plus, I'll take a graphical downgrade to use the Classic Controller over the DualShock3. I've never liked the Playstations' D-pads all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree

Thanks, I'll put that in the OP.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

PR from the Big Three:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft
July was a solid month for Xbox 360. We dominated the E3 landscape, took home 11 Game Critics Awards and closed out a profitable year with $2.1 billion in growth in our Entertainment & Devices Division (Microsoft internal data).

Just this week, G4TV, unveiled its fan-voted G-Phoria Award winners for 2008 and G4's audience made it emphatically clear that Microsoft offers the most impressive gaming lineup in the industry, naming Xbox 360 Console of the Year, "Halo 3" the overall Game of the Year, and "Mass Effect" the Best Role-Playing Game of the Year. "Halo 3" earned an additional four nominations in the Best Shooter, Best Online Multiplayer Game, Longest Lasting Game, and Best Downloadable Content categories.

Overall, Xbox 360 garnered the most honorees with 15, followed by the Playstation 3's 14, while Nintendo's Wii offered only four winning titles. The Xbox 360's strengths were apparent as it was the only platform to offer all five nominees in the Best Downloadable Content category, and four nominees (including the winners) in both the Best Online Multiplayer and Best Shooter categories.

And we're projecting 2009 will be even bigger - we'll sell more consoles, sell more games, and continue to grow our online community at Xbox LIVE.

The NPD Group issued its July 2008 sales data today showing Xbox 360 as the current generation leader in consumer spend, game sales and software attach rate. Here is a snapshot:

· Since its launch, consumers have spent more than $10.4 billion on the Xbox 360 platform in the U.S., capturing 49% of share. (July NPD data)
· 205,000 Xbox 360 consoles were sold in July. (July NPD data)
· Xbox 360 titles accounted for $129 million, or 34% share, in game sales in July. Of that, Xbox 360 generated $121 million at retail for third-party publishers, or 42% of share. (July NPD data)
· Xbox 360 games accounted for four of the top ten games in July. (July NPD data)
· Xbox 360 has a record-setting attach rate of 7.9 games per console, the highest attach rate in history for a console at this point in its lifecycle. (July NPD data)

The announcements we made at E3 come to life beginning this fall with the new Xbox experience which will evolve and deepen the experience for hardcore gamers while inviting a whole new audience to come and play. Couple that with our exclusive partnership with Netflix and a blockbuster games library boasting more than 1,000 titles including "Lips," "You're in the Movies" and Best Action Game of E3 "Gears of War 2" (Game Critics Awards), and Xbox 360 is on track to deliver a record-breaking holiday and keep the momentum going into 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
NPD Data Shows Nintendo’ s Summer of Fun Isn’ t Done

Nintendo products kept people entertained in July, whether they wanted to get fit, rock out or just play around. According to the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States, Nintendo DS™ and Wii™ again claimed the top two hardware spots for July, with more than 608,000 DS units and more than 555,000 Wii units sold. Wii claimed a 49 percent share of all console sales in July, and extended its lead as the best-selling console of this generation. Nintendo DS represented a 73 percent share of hand-held sales in July.

Five games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10 best-selling games of the month, including Wii Fit ™ , with 369,603 units sold at No. 2; Guitar Hero ® : On Tour for Nintendo DS, with 309,695 units sold at No. 3; Wii Play ™ , with 284,035 units sold at No. 4; Mario Kart ® Wii , with 174,464 units sold at No. 7; and Rock Band for Wii, with 162,886 units sold at No. 8.

“ Great hardware goes hand-in-hand with great software,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’ s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “ Various types of games for the Nintendo systems are represented in the top 10, demonstrating how we continue to break down the barriers between veteran and new players.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony
PlayStation by the Numbers - July 2008

PS3 Continues to Experience Strong Momentum; PS3 Demonstrates Hardware Sales Growth of 99 Percent Year-to-Date; PS3 Software Sales Growth Exceeds 206 Percent Year-to-Date

Total PlayStation Hardware Unit Sales Top 602,176

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) again posted strong sales in July 2008, selling 224,900 hardware units, driven by the continued popularity of the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 bundle. From January to July 2008, more than 1.8 million PS3s have been sold in the U.S., representing a year-to-date hardware sales growth of 99%.

* Fueled by the introduction of 10 new first and third-party titles to the PS3 Greatest Hits program — including blockbusters such as MotorStorm, Warhawk, Resistance: Fall of Man and others — PS3 software sales showed growth of 206% year-to-date.
* SCEA will introduce an unmatched software line-up this holiday season and fiscal year with more than 140 first and third-party titles on Blu-ray disc for PS3, including SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Confrontation, Resistance 2, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, NBA ‘09: The Inside, and the award-winning LittleBigPlanet.
* The popularity of PLAYSTATION®Network continued to grow in July with the new PLAYSTATION Network video delivery service on PLAYSTATION®Store, the release of the Qore's Episode 03 and the launch of highly-anticipated games such as PixelJunk Eden and Siren: Blood Curse. As of June 2008, there are more than 10 million registered PLAYSTATION Network accounts worldwide and approximately 200 million pieces of content downloaded worldwide.

PSP experienced solid sales in July with 221,651 PSP hardware units sold, spurred by continued sales of the God of War: Chains of Olympus PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) bundle. This represents a year-to-date growth of 16%.

PlayStation®2 (PS2) also had a solid month in July, selling 155,510 hardware units. More than 42.5 million PS2s have been sold in the U.S. as of July 2008.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

The PlayStation brand continued to generate impressive sales across all three platforms, earning $388.6 million in July.
· Year to date (Jan-July), the PlayStation brand generated almost $3.3 billion in revenue, representing an increase of more than 22% year-to-date.
· PlayStation total hardware revenue was $608.7 million in July, representing a year-to-date growth of 23%.
· PlayStation total software revenue in July was $183.6 million, representing a year-to-date growth of over 28%.

CEO Perspective

"Our year-to-date sales growth of 99% for the PS3 reaffirms that consumers are indeed embracing PS3 as their entertainment hub-of-choice with its feature-rich offerings like Blu-ray and our recently announced video delivery service. With an unmatched software line-up that includes LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM: Confrontation, Resistance 2 and MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, and the anticipated launch of our new 80GB PS3 model, we're confident in a strong second half of the year and look forward to quickly addressing any inventory shortages due to the transition.

- Jack Tretton, president and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment America
Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
samifan24
Pro Starter

I read on Crave yesterday that the Criterion Collection guys use a PS3 and a $5 HDMI cable from Amazon for their own in-house Blu-ray playback. I've wanted to buy a PS3 for a long time but this really helps. If it's good enough for the Criterion guys, it's good enough for me.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. There is no reason ever to buy expensive HDMI cords.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I read on Crave yesterday that the Criterion Collection guys use a PS3 and a $5 HDMI cable from Amazon for their own in-house Blu-ray playback. I've wanted to buy a PS3 for a long time but this really helps. If it's good enough for the Criterion guys, it's good enough for me.

You can get all kinds of HDMI cables at monoprice.com for ridiculously cheap. There's no reason to every buy a HDMI cable in a retail store.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

First off, I'd like to apologize to Microsoft for jinxing them with my post detailing that they would handily win this month for their first substantial win this year.

With that said, this month was an abysmal month for both the 360 and the PS3. The PS3 didn't do better than the 360. It just did 'less worse' than the 360. These numbers make it abundantly clear that a price cut is needed in a bad way in September/October on both consoles, but especially the 360. I'm pretty surprised that Microsoft didn't learn from Sony that a clearance price cut that isn't really a price cut doesn't set the market on fire. Sony's lower number is a bit easier to take since they were coming off the MGS4 hangover, but if it persists through August/September, it becomes a similar problem to the 360's struggle.

Another interesting market trend to note is that Europe now has a increasingly firm grip on the largest market title. They continue to see market growth across the pond while the U.S. market has become stagnant in comparison. That trend should be much more concerning to Microsoft than a 20K loss in the U.S. to Sony during a weak summer month. I'm still completely floored that MS will not be holding a presser in Leipzig next week.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You can get all kinds of HDMI cables at monoprice.com for ridiculously cheap. There's no reason to every buy a HDMI cable in a retail store.

+1
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Worst comes to worst, and you need an HDMI rightthisminute go buy one at wal mart and then return it when your mail order comes in.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
First off, I'd like to apologize to Microsoft for jinxing them with my post detailing that they would handily win this month for their first substantial win this year.

With that said, this month was an abysmal month for both the 360 and the PS3. The PS3 didn't do better than the 360. It just did 'less worse' than the 360. These numbers make it abundantly clear that a price cut is needed in a bad way in September/October on both consoles, but especially the 360. I'm pretty surprised that Microsoft didn't learn from Sony that a clearance price cut that isn't really a price cut doesn't set the market on fire. Sony's lower number is a bit easier to take since they were coming off the MGS4 hangover, but if it persists through August/September, it becomes a similar problem to the 360's struggle.

Another interesting market trend to note is that Europe now has a increasingly firm grip on the largest market title. They continue to see market growth across the pond while the U.S. market has become stagnant in comparison. That trend should be much more concerning to Microsoft than a 20K loss in the U.S. to Sony during a weak summer month. I'm still completely floored that MS will not be holding a presser in Leipzig next week.

That's okay. They outsold the PS3 and PS2 put together in Japan last week. If the Tales of Vesperia sales keep driving sales there and Infinite Undiscovery has a similar effect, I'd imagine they'll happily trade a month of domestic bleh for a month of foreign WTF.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That's okay. They outsold the PS3 and PS2 put together in Japan last week. If the Tales of Vesperia sales keep driving sales there and Infinite Undiscovery has a similar effect, I'd imagine they'll happily trade a month of domestic bleh for a month of foreign WTF.

I did see that. I'm interested to see what IU will do over there. It would be nice to see some 360 sales in Japan to push Sony to be more agressive in that region. Sony's been really lax thus far in Japan. It's like they just expect the PS3 to fly off the shelf because they're Sony and it's Japan. That doesn't cut it.

It's expected that Sony will be announcing some Japanese-targeted games at Tokyo Game Show this year. It'll be interesting to see what they present. Microsoft will obviously emphasize the Square Enix franchises coming on their console (IU and FFXIII).

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-15-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I did see that. I'm interested to see what IU will do over there. It would be nice to see some 360 sales in Japan to push Sony to be more agressive in that region. Sony's been really lax thus far in Japan. It's like they just expect the PS3 to fly off the shelf because they're Sony and it's Japan. That doesn't cut it.

It's expected that Sony will be announcing some Japanese-targeted games at Tokyo Game Show this year. It'll be interesting to see what they present. Microsoft will obviously emphasize the Square Enix franchises coming on their console (IU and FFXIII).

In Japan? Surely you meant Star Ocean.

Or do you know something I don't?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
In Japan? Surely you meant Star Ocean.

Or do you know something I don't?

I've heard that Star Ocean will come to the PS3 at some point, so it's most likely a timed exclusive.

You're correct on FFXIII, though I do think there will be some 360 import sales off of sites like Play Asia. There's a decent size base of U.S. 360's in Japan with the military presence and some Americans who live and work over there.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
path12
Coordinator

Amazing how many Mario Karts & Wii Fits sold considering I haven't seen one in two months. Those numbers could be so much bigger.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My local Target has had pretty decent numbers of Mario Karts in stock.

A Wii Fit on the other hand is nowhere to be seen...
Old 08-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Article on the changes Sony is making to the Cell processor. An enhanced version of the chip mentioned in this article is the one that will go into the PS4.

..... >> VFXWorld / News << .....
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tons of trailers and news coming out of the conventions. New Killzone 2 trailer (HD).........

PSN!

Lords of Shadow announced for XBLA and PSN.........

Gamekyo : Konami announced Lords of Shadow

Mirror's Edge Trailer..........

Gamekyo : Mirror's Edge first gameplay video

New Little Big Planet trailer..........

Gametrailers.com - New LBP gameplay from Leipzig by Linufinu

First trailer for Codemasters' new game, titled 'Fuel'........

Gametrailers.com - Fuel - Debut Trailer HD

Will Wright states that Spore will also be released on the consoles........

Xbox 360 News : Spore coming to Xbox 360

Video of Mohr and Caliendo doing the commentating on the new Blitz II game......

Loot Ninja » Blitz Recording Session: Frank Caliendo and Jay Mohr

New Madworld trailer.............

GameVideos - Mad World 'Games Con 2008' trailer Video

Evidently, 30,000 Xbox 360 units was the entire Japanese inventory (makes sense given that they were only selling 1,000/week before that). I think MS was in a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario. If they produce additional units before the game comes out and they don't sell, they're screwed. If they don't produce additional units and they sell out, they're without any units for awhile and not in a position to capitalize on the demand over the next couple of weeks.........

Only In Japan: Japan Is TOTALLY Sold Out of Xbox 360s (New Shipment Next Month!)

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-20-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony announcements coming out of Leipzig............

Quote:
• LittleBigPlanet - October 29th for PAL countries

• PSP model 3000 announced (almost same size as Slim&Light, smoother more curved corners, increased intensity and colors to lcd screen (also much less glare), built in microphone. October 15th in EMEA territories. 199euro w/game, Old PSP's will cost 169euro without)

• 160GB Limited Edition PS3 for 449euro (comes included with 70euro worth of DL games) October 31st.

• PS3 controller Keyboard add-on (attaches on top) with touch-pad for cursor control, coming for eight different languages

• Play-TV September 19th

• Vidzone for 23 PAL countries. Free Music streaming PS3 app (Q1 09), no charge. Downloads in Q3 09.

• Go!View Sky Service (PSP) set for Q3 08

• SingStar PS3: You can now rip your old PS2 SingStar games (PS3 firmware upgrade needed)

• SingStar DISNEY announced 'Singalong with Disney'

• SingStar Turkish Party (!) announced

• EyePet announced 'Stroke the animals, draw toys for them' Out next year

• Heavy Rain out in 2009

Obviously a bit heavy on the Singstar stuff along with music/video announcements due to the European market. The 160 GB machine was a surprise along with the keyboard (obviously similar to the 360 keyboard). I'm sure that Sony is excited to get LBP out in Europe as soon as possible, as it seems like a perfect fit to that market.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #21
MikeVic
Head Coach

What the hell is SingStar Turkish Party. Please someone tell me.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What the hell is SingStar Turkish Party. Please someone tell me.

I don't know, but I'm sure that a video will be posted and it will provide ample laughs from this side of the pond.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #23
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here comes the Stateside announcements. 160 GB Uncharted bundle announced for the States. $499 price point. Also, two new PSP bundles were announced. One is a Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters bundle while the other bundle has a 4 GB memory card included. Also announced that the keyboard attachment will be coming to the States too............

PlayStation.Blog » Live from Leipzig: North American Hardware Announcements

Trailer for Heavy Rain. Pretty stunning stuff. This game is going to be a huge hit or a Lair-like bomb.........

Gamekyo : Heavy Rain new video !
Old 08-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #24
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

First I have seen of Heavy Rain. That video didn't want to load for me but I will try it later. I did find the casting video and that was very cool. I had my hopes before finding it that it was a game based on the John Rain novels, but no big deal that it isn't. Just that one video makes it look damn cool.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #25
Calis
College Starter

Heavy Rain people did Indigo Prophecy didn't they?

I actually enjoyed that game a fair amount. It had several flaws, but I thought overall it was a pretty cool attempt. Haven't read anything about the game itself though. Is it going to be along the same lines?

Guess I should watch the trailer.

Last edited by Calis : 08-20-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #26
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
The 160 GB machine was a surprise along with the keyboard (obviously similar to the 360 keyboard).

I don't think it was a good idea to announce this a few days before the 80gb is released in Europe. I can see people cancelling their preorders until more information is released about the 160gb bundles.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I don't think it was a good idea to announce this a few days before the 80gb is released in Europe. I can see people cancelling their preorders until more information is released about the 160gb bundles.

hint: twice the capacity, and possibly a one-year-old game bundled in for an extra hundred bucks.

Euros.

Whatever.

There's your difference!

(Yeah, announcing the new SKU in a territory before formally releasing the old one = bad idea)
Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #28
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm waiting for the 80gb PS3 to be sold separately... when was this gonna happen again?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #29
SackAttack
Head Coach

If you were waiting for the 80 gb BC ones to get sold separately...good luck with that.

The 'new' 80 GBs? Already are at some stores. $400, no BC.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm waiting for the 80gb PS3 to be sold separately... when was this gonna happen again?

The new 80 GB machines are in stores this week. $399 price point.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Two new board games are on their way to XBLA/PSN.........

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: Tide of Iron and Wings of War to XBL

Looks like the 360 bump in Japan is only going to last a week. The PS3 outsold the 360 at a 2:1 margin this week. With Microsoft's mismanagement of 360 stock in Japan, expect the consoles sales to drop significantly next week, likely back to the 1K numbers that they were averaging only 2 weeks ago.

Tales of Vesperia sales dropped 81% and it will be lucky to reach the 200K mark.

http://n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-186860.aspx?CT=1#Comments
Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #32
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
If you were waiting for the 80 gb BC ones to get sold separately...good luck with that.

The 'new' 80 GBs? Already are at some stores. $400, no BC.

Oh, so the MGS4 bundle ones are BC and the stand-alone aren't BC? Will these 160GB Uncharted ones be BC?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #33
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oh, so the MGS4 bundle ones are BC and the stand-alone aren't BC? Will these 160GB Uncharted ones be BC?

The MGS4 bundle is BC.

The 80 GB stand-alone and the 160 GB Uncharted PS3 are both not BC.

It should be noted that one of the worst kept rumors in the industry is that Sony does have a team working on software-based backward compatibility for the 40 GB, 80 GB, and the 160 GB machines that currently do not support backwards compatibility. The hang-up is that there's been no firm date for release, so no guarantees on how long you wait even if it does come to pass. Also, software-based BC will likely not cover 100% of PS2 games, so your mileage may vary there as well.

If you really want BC, you should go ahead and buy a MGS4 bundle or a 60GB/80GB used PS3. There are also used 20GB models that can be HDD upgraded to a 100MB machine for under $100.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-21-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Price cut for the 360 is now confirmed via print ads that were leaked. Price cuts will go into effect the week of September 7th.

Arcade - $199
Pro - $299
Elite - $399

Xbox 360 price cut confirmed for week of September 7th - NeoGAF
Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #35
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks for the info. I don't know how much I need BC, so once I'm ready to go out and buy a PS3, I'll just see what's out there... probably in a month or two.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #36
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some good news for those that are interested in worldwide sales numbers. Looks like the retail tracking companies are going to put together a worldwide sales chart. The system will only be tracking the U.K. in Europe and will not have Australian numbers, so it won't be a totally accurate picture, but there's no question it's a good step in the right direction.

Quote:
Leading Market Research Firms Join Forces to Provide First Multi-CONTINENT View of Video Game software sales

New Report Provides Comprehensive View of Global Video Games Sales in World’s Largest Games Markets

NEW YORK, TOKYO, LONDON, August 21, 2008 – Leading providers of consumer and retail information in the video games industry, The NPD Group, GfK Chart-Track Limited and Enterbrain, Inc., today announced the release of Top Global Markets Report, the first report to integrate point-of-sale (POS) data for video game software sales in the world’s largest games markets.

The leading games information sources in the U.S, U.K. and Japan – the largest games markets in the world – have joined forces to provide the gaming industry with a single source for sales data providing detailed insight into what’s happening in these important markets.

Top Global Markets Report gives the video game industry the ability to equip itself with a monthly report that provides jointly-contributed, title-level video games software sales by country. Data can be viewed as an integrated total market view or as side-by-side country comparisons.

“The video games business has become increasingly global, with the majority of the publishers releasing games in multiple markets,” said Anita Frazier, industry analyst, The NPD Group. “The U.S, as the world’s largest market will be able to view and compare sales for the first time outside of their own market.”

The report allows users to track titles, unit sales and share, as well as dollar sales and revenue share in order to quickly respond to shifts in the marketplace. It gives users the ability to know the market and competitors across countries in order to analyze and respond to global gaming market trends.

"We are excited to be working more closely with NPD and Enterbrain,” said John Pinder, Managing Director, GfK Chart-Track Limited. “This partnership represents a great opportunity to benefit not only our clients but the industry as a whole by providing a comprehensive, industry-supported view of sales across the three largest video game markets,

“We are very grateful to start such a valuable service and alliance with NPD and GfK Chart-Track Limited,” said Hirokazu Hamamura, President, Enterbrain, Inc. “This service gives us the ability to better help game publishers and developers by providing them with a more global view of market performance.”
Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #37
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Two new board games are on their way to XBLA/PSN.........

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: Tide of Iron and Wings of War to XBL

Looks like the 360 bump in Japan is only going to last a week. The PS3 outsold the 360 at a 2:1 margin this week. With Microsoft's mismanagement of 360 stock in Japan, expect the consoles sales to drop significantly next week, likely back to the 1K numbers that they were averaging only 2 weeks ago.

Tales of Vesperia sales dropped 81% and it will be lucky to reach the 200K mark.

http://n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-186860.aspx?CT=1#Comments

Chicken and the egg a little bit, don't you think? Did sales of Tales drop 81% because interest was short-lived, or because there weren't any Xboxes to play it on?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Chicken and the egg a little bit, don't you think? Did sales of Tales drop 81% because interest was short-lived, or because there weren't any Xboxes to play it on?

Interest in Japan has always been that way. There's a much bigger early buy than we see in Europe or North America. As a result, the number plummet pretty quickly. I have no doubt that Microsoft hurt themselves by not having adequate stock for that very reason. If you miss the boat early in Japan, you'll miss it altogether.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Gamestop reporting that Wii stock lasting 3-4 days after shipment day. Get them now if you want one, because that will tighten up by October........

Gamasutra - GameStop Plans For PS3/Xbox 360 Price Cuts, No Threat From Digital Distro

New HD movie of Prince of Persia gameplay..........

GC08 Gameplay Walkthrough - Voodoo Extreme

Infinite Undiscovery slated for 20-25 hours of gameplay on two disks.......

X08: Infinite Undiscovery discovered on two discs - Joystiq

Pretty impressive glare comparison on the old vs. new PSP. The new version definitely has some major glare improvements.........

NeoGAF - View Single Post - Sony PSP 3000 announced (Mic/Better screen) - Compare in Post #245 WOW
Old 08-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #40
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Home developer confirms that it will be released this holiday season........

IGN: PlayStation Home Preview
Old 08-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #41
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the DLC for the Xbox 360 version of GTA4 is planned to be pretty large. Cost is reportedly $20.

The Bitbag » GTAIV DLC Rumored To Be Huge And Cost 1600 MS Points

SonyStyle just increased the incentive price on the PS3. If you buy a PS3 with a Sony Style card, you now get $150 off (was $100 before). So a PS3 can be had for as little as $250.

Get $150 card credit

Mirror's Edge reportedly confirmed as a timed exclusive on the PS3 later this year. Xbox 360 and PC versions will be out later next year.

Mirrors Edge confirmed to be PS3 exclusive? - GAMER.BLORGE
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #42
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looks like the DLC for the Xbox 360 version of GTA4 is planned to be pretty large. Cost is reportedly $20.

SonyStyle just increased the incentive price on the PS3. If you buy a PS3 with a Sony Style card, you now get $150 off (was $100 before). So a PS3 can be had for as little as $250.

Get $150 card credit

I believe that $150 credit is limited to purchasing a PS3 directly from Sony's own website. In the past, it was my understanding that you could purchase a PS3 at any "authorized retailer," ie, any major brick and mortar store, and receive the $100 credit. I don't think this is the case now, although I could be confused by the verbiage of the offer.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I believe that $150 credit is limited to purchasing a PS3 directly from Sony's own website. In the past, it was my understanding that you could purchase a PS3 at any "authorized retailer," ie, any major brick and mortar store, and receive the $100 credit. I don't think this is the case now, although I could be confused by the verbiage of the offer.

The $150 credit is for any store, not just Sony's store. Several posters on relevant message boards have reported getting the $150 credit at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Wal-Mart. The previous offer was $100 at any store.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #44
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nice one by MBBF pointing out the incorrect thread title
Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #45
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Love that guy commenting on that site.....

Quote:
  1. SoeKnee, on August 23rd, 2008 at 8:07 pm Said:
    Great site guys good info! I cannot wait to get this for my PS3 come November.
  2. Bullywithafully01, on August 23rd, 2008 at 9:15 pm Said:
    dont know if you where paying attention but its coming for the 360
  3. SoeKnee, on August 23rd, 2008 at 9:49 pm Said:
    Are you being serious? It will come out for the PS3 im sure.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #46
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
The $150 credit is for any store, not just Sony's store. Several posters on relevant message boards have reported getting the $150 credit at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Wal-Mart. The previous offer was $100 at any store.

Does this credit thing work in Canada?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #47
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Does this credit thing work in Canada?

It would appear that it does. I read through the itty-bitty print and the card is offered by 'Chase Cards USA, NA', so the card covers all of North America. There was nothing in the fine print that excluded Canadian residents. My suggestion would be to call Chase Cards or send an e-mail to the support staff at the Sony Style website. Both of them could likely give you an answer pretty quickly.

I noticed also that if you purchase the PS3 on the card through the Sony Style store, you can get 12 months with no interest on the purchase. So you can pay off the $250 over 12 months without any penalty, which is a pretty nice deal for those that don't have the full amount right now.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Love that guy commenting on that site.....

Which one? The 'if you where paying attention' guy or the PS3 fanboy?

Both were obviously in the top 5% of the freshman class last year.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #49
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
It would appear that it does. I read through the itty-bitty print and the card is offered by 'Chase Cards USA, NA', so the card covers all of North America. There was nothing in the fine print that excluded Canadian residents. My suggestion would be to call Chase Cards or send an e-mail to the support staff at the Sony Style website. Both of them could likely give you an answer pretty quickly.

I noticed also that if you purchase the PS3 on the card through the Sony Style store, you can get 12 months with no interest on the purchase. So you can pay off the $250 over 12 months without any penalty, which is a pretty nice deal for those that don't have the full amount right now.

I clicked on Apply Now, and just saw this somewhere in the middle of the main form (noticed there was no space for Canadian addresses):

"Note: You must be a U.S. resident to apply. No P.O. boxes please."

Boo... this would've pushed me to a PS3 for sure.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I clicked on Apply Now, and just saw this somewhere in the middle of the main form (noticed there was no space for Canadian addresses):

"Note: You must be a U.S. resident to apply. No P.O. boxes please."

Boo... this would've pushed me to a PS3 for sure.

How close do you live to the border?