Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl... ................................ 326K
PS3 Gran Turismo 5: Prologue......... ................................. 224K
DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness..... 202K
DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time...... 202K
Wii Guitar Hero III.................................................. ... 152K

Industry Numbers:

Quote:
U.S. Video Games Industry - April 2008
......................April 2007......April 2008...............YTD Apr 07 ..................YTD Apr 08
Video Games ...............$839 million $1.23 billion 47.0% $4.18 billion $5.47 billion 31.0%
Video Games Hardware $339.2 million $426.2 million 26.0% $1.62 billion $1.84 billion 13.0%
Video Games Software $389.4 million $654.7 million 68.0% $1.97 billion $2.88 billion 46.0%
Video Game Accessories $110.4 million $154 million 39.0% $584.4 million $750.6 million 29.0%

Who would have thought GTA IV wasn't a system seller? Both 360 and PS3 numbers are disappointing, I think they each could use a price drop.

Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm shocked that the PS3 and 360 sales aren't higher. Anyway, those numbers more than support MS's claim of over 60% sales of all copies of GTA IV, at least in the USA.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-15-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

Wasn't GTA (and Mario Kart, for that matter) only available for like a week or less in April?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Wasn't GTA (and Mario Kart, for that matter) only available for like a week or less in April?

Yes. Impressive sales for both of them in that week's time.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
MJ4H
Coordinator

Sure, but point being it didn't have that much time to affect console sales fully? Maybe? Dunno. I expected more from them, too.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

7 days for Mario Kart Wii, 5 days for GTA. The "month" ended on May 3.

PR statements from the Big Three - wired.com link
Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's nice to see Wii GH3 chugging along there in 10 still. 3rd party Wii games on the list are always good to see.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's the April Worldwide numbers with NPD added in.......

Quote:
April Worldwide Sales Numbers

Wii - 1,644,000
PS3 - 704,000
360 - 570,000

April North American Console Sales

Wii - 714K
360 - 188K
PS3 - 187K

April Japan Console Sales

Wii - 186K
PS3 - 38K
360 - 7K

April European Console Sales

Wii - 744K
PS3 - 489K
360 - 375K
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm shocked that the PS3 and 360 sales aren't higher. Anyway, those numbers more than support MS's claim of over 60% sales of all copies of GTA IV, at least in the USA.

Yeah, as several publications have mentioned, that's got to be a really disappointing result for MS in their biggest region. They really should have been able to beat the PS3 in attach rate in North America and they didn't do that.

It doesn't look like the hardware sales on either console were boosted significantly, which stands in stark contrast to the European boost in hardware sales. Another thing that's quite clear from the NPD numbers is that claims in the media and from Microsoft in regards to attach rate and hardware sales in North America were highly exaggerated. That has to be frustrating to the MS group, as they had dropped quite a bit of money into GTA to get that exclusive content.

Both Sony and Microsoft really could use a price drop jump start. On Sony's end, I'm sure they'll likely want to see how MGS4 helps their sales. Europe showed this month that a bundle can really effect sales. I'm sure Sony is hoping that a bundle of MGS4 will have a similar effect. Oddly, Sony only predicted sales for FY09 of 10M units. That indicates that they don't have plans for a price drop in the coming year. The reports that they may still be losing money per unit sold may be very true.

Microsoft has got to make a price move as well. In April 2007 with no big gamer releases, they sold 174K units. In April 2008 with one of their most hyped releases, they sold 181K units. That's not what you want to see out of a 2 1/2 year old console.

The Wii sold more units in the final week of April (GTA4 release week) than the 360 and PS3 did combined for that same week. That's called printing money.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-16-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

What is the ratio of 360:PS3 sold (lifetime) in the US?

I find the "system seller" discussion to be interest.

Personally I don't see that 2 1/2 years into this generation that a cross-platform game can be expected to be a system seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Daimyo
College Starter

Wow. Absolutely amazing month for Nintendo. I guess this puts to rest that stupid article that claimed N was in trouble
without GTA.

I love that Mario Kart outsold PS3 GTA4 head-to-head!
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As little as I'm playing my PS2 these days (GH, and NCAA '07 when the football bug bites), and as much as I'm playing the Wii (mostly for boxing, as a workout thing, and we're getting Wii Fit), I seriously doubt I'll be buying a PS3 or 360 unless the price comes way down. I'm still holding out hope that I'll be gifted a 360, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm hoping the NCAA game for the Wii gets good in the next 2-3 years so I can move on from '07, but honestly, I still enjoy that game just fine.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
What is the ratio of 360:PS3 sold (lifetime) in the US?

I find the "system seller" discussion to be interest.

Personally I don't see that 2 1/2 years into this generation that a cross-platform game can be expected to be a system seller.

360:PS3 ration in the US is currently 71:29 in favor of the Xbox 360.

My point on the 2007 vs. 2008 monthly numbers for the 360 is that a mature console that far into its life cycle should be seeing increasing numbers, especially when they have a AAA game with exclusive DLC available on the system. The fact that it didn't do better is a big concern. The 2-3 year mark is when a console should really start raking in the customers.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The reports that they may still be losing money per unit sold may be very true.

Interesting that you say that. There are now analysts who believe they have been underreporting their losses on the PS3 and are actually still losing about 260 dollars per PS3 shipped and that a price cut in 08 isn't going to happen as a result (by the way, Sony reports it is losing 130 per PS3, so the reports are definitely true. It is just a matter of magnitude.):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=189023

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-16-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #15
gstelmack
Pro Starter

PS3 STILL has not hit the 300K+ margin they need to meet all those "catch the 360" predictions we've been hearing for months. Only +130K this month worldwide.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Interesting that you say that. There are now analysts who believe they have been underreporting their losses on the PS3 and are actually still losing about 260 dollars per PS3 shipped and that a price cut in 08 isn't going to happen as a result (by the way, Sony reports it is losing 130 per PS3, so the reports are definitely true. It is just a matter of magnitude.):

Yeah, that's the report I was referring to.

The major cost reduction is expected in August when the smaller chip set moves into the consoles. Depending on what numbers are correct, they may be able to get close to break-even. With that said, the forecast indicates that they won't drop prices this holiday season. But they may be forced to drop the price if Microsoft makes a move. Given that Microsoft has its own financial problems with the ongoing RROD repair costs, they may not be in any big hurry to drop their prices either. In that case, both Sony and Microsoft sit on their duff and neither of them sell many consoles. I'm hoping that doesn't occur. This market desparately needs a boost, profits be dammed.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Yeah, that's the report I was referring to.

The major cost reduction is expected in August when the smaller chip set moves into the consoles. Depending on what numbers are correct, they may be able to get close to break-even. With that said, the forecast indicates that they won't drop prices this holiday season. But they may be forced to drop the price if Microsoft makes a move. Given that Microsoft has its own financial problems with the ongoing RROD repair costs, they may not be in any big hurry to drop their prices either. In that case, both Sony and Microsoft sit on their duff and neither of them sell many consoles. I'm hoping that doesn't occur. This market desparately needs a boost, profits be damned.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I love that Mario Kart outsold PS3 GTA4 head-to-head!

Well, the Wii does have a much larger userbase than the PS3. I think that goes a long way in explaining that. In contrast, you could look at it like this: GTA IV came close to tripling Mario Cart sales on a much smaller combined userbase.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-16-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #19
MJ4H
Coordinator

I still haven't bought Mario Kart. One of my students brought it to school and we played it the other day. I do like it better than Mario Kart DS (snaking is annoying and not snaking is more annoying because then you just go slow), but overall it is kind of disappointing. Probably when I get my own copy and play it online I will be more enthralled.

Grand Theft Auto has of course never even remotely interested me.

I certainly wouldn't expect Mario Kart numbers to even approach GTA numbers, though. I think it should be kept in mind that these numbers are for about a week of release on these two titles, also.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #20
KWhit
Coordinator

When you guys talk about snaking, what the hell are you talking about?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

In the Mario Kart games before the Wii version, you could skid your kart around corners and wiggle it back and forth to produce a speed boost. They took that out of the Wii version.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SCEA released a new release schedule for their first-party titles.........

Quote:
PSP
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 - June 3, 2008
Secret Agent Clank - June 17, 2008
NBA 09 - Fall 2008
BUZZ! Master Quiz - Fall 2008

PLAYSTATION Network
wipEout HD - Summer 2008
Elefunk - Summer 2008
PixelJunk Eden - Summer 2008
SIREN: Blood Curse - Summer 2008
SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Confrontation - September 16, 2008

PS3
SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Confrontation - September 16, 2008
LittleBigPlanet - October 2008
NBA 09 - Fall 2008
BUZZ! Quiz TV - Fall 2008
MotorStorm Pacific Rift - Fall 2008
Resistance 2 - Fall 2008
Killzone 2 - February 2009

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-16-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Well, the Wii does have a much larger userbase than the PS3. I think that goes a long way in explaining that. In contrast, you could look at it like this: GTA IV came close to tripling Mario Cart sales on a much smaller combined userbase.

Of course we're comparing a franchise that sold over 42M last generation (or an average of 14M per game) to one that almost sold 7M. I don't think anyone expected Mario Kart to compete with GTA4. For it to even match the PS3 version of GTA4 is pretty amazing to me.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #24
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
In the Mario Kart games before the Wii version, you could skid your kart around corners and wiggle it back and forth to produce a speed boost. They took that out of the Wii version.

That is not snaking and that is still in the Wii version. In fact it is easier to do in the Wii version. It has always been intended behavior for the series.

Snaking is when you do that on straight-aways. That was never intended and was always considered to be very cheesy.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #25
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Snaking is the act of skidding around the course as much as possible to give yourself lots of speed boosts. When you go into a skid (slide), hold the slide and push LRLRLRLRLR... on the d-pad until your sparks change to orange. Then when you release the slide, you get a speed boost. The LRLRLRLR... thing is very annoying to do. You get killed by good players if you dont do it, though.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #26
twothree
College Prospect

A bullet point from Microsoft's own PR stated, "Microsoft sales data shows Xbox 360 consoles saw a 54% lift week-over-week as a result of “Grand Theft Auto IV,” and retailers are reporting that roughly four out of every 10 Xbox 360 consoles sold included the sale of a copy of “Grand Theft Auto IV.” (Microsoft internal data)"

Now this is just my analysis, but if the reporting month was for 4 weeks, and if the XBOX was selling a steady 41.4K a week for the first three weeks without GTA IV then a 54% boost would be an additional 22.4K (with rounding). Total sold 188.0K = 3 x (41.4K) + (41.4K + 22.4K). Therefore GTA IV only helped sell 22.4K XBOX 360s. Which is not a system seller, at least in it's first week. Also the other point about roughly four out of every 10 XBOX 360s sold was with a copy of GTA IV fits my analysis fairly well. Since my calculations show 41.4K + 22.4K = 63.8K XBOX 360s sold in the last week of the month. And 22.4K / 63.8K = about 35%.

And here is another calculation based upon my analysis if GTA IV sold 1850.0K copies on the XBOX 360, then 22.4K / 1850.0K = about 1.21% of people who bought a copy of GTA IV for the XBOX 360 also bought an XBOX 360. No way is that a system seller, at least not in that week of sales.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #27
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Basically snaking made the DS version unplayable online which is a shame since the game rocked otherwise. A person who was snaking could drive through the entire course on a speed boost and wouldn't lose speed even when going off the track.

It's removal is one of the best things about the Wii version in addition to lag-free 12-player online and some excellent track designs. For me it's right up there with the SNES version so I'm glad it sold so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
Of course we're comparing a franchise that sold over 42M last generation (or an average of 14M per game) to one that almost sold 7M. I don't think anyone expected Mario Kart to compete with GTA4. For it to even match the PS3 version of GTA4 is pretty amazing to me.

Yeah when GTA3 and GTA3: San Andreas released on the PS2 both topped the charts for months at a time, to see the game debut in third on a Sony console provides a telling snapshot of just how far they have fallen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBBF
SCEA released a new release schedule for their first-party titles.........

LittleBigPlanet pushed back again damn, I'm really looking forward to that game.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
A bullet point from Microsoft's own PR stated, "Microsoft sales data shows Xbox 360 consoles saw a 54% lift week-over-week as a result of “Grand Theft Auto IV,” and retailers are reporting that roughly four out of every 10 Xbox 360 consoles sold included the sale of a copy of “Grand Theft Auto IV.” (Microsoft internal data)"

Now this is just my analysis, but if the reporting month was for 4 weeks, and if the XBOX was selling a steady 41.4K a week for the first three weeks without GTA IV then a 54% boost would be an additional 22.4K (with rounding). Total sold 188.0K = 3 x (41.4K) + (41.4K + 22.4K). Therefore GTA IV only helped sell 22.4K XBOX 360s. Which is not a system seller, at least in it's first week. Also the other point about roughly four out of every 10 XBOX 360s sold was with a copy of GTA IV fits my analysis fairly well. Since my calculations show 41.4K + 22.4K = 63.8K XBOX 360s sold in the last week of the month. And 22.4K / 63.8K = about 35%.

And here is another calculation based upon my analysis if GTA IV sold 1850.0K copies on the XBOX 360, then 22.4K / 1850.0K = about 1.21% of people who bought a copy of GTA IV for the XBOX 360 also bought an XBOX 360. No way is that a system seller, at least not in that week of sales.

Nice calculations. I think these numbers show that GTA IV hasn't really been a significant system seller for either console. It appears that most of the purchasers, already had one of the two consoles.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #29
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nice calculations. I think these numbers show that GTA IV hasn't really been a significant system seller for either console. It appears that most of the purchasers, already had one of the two consoles.

I think that is what surprised me. At this point for the 360 it's going to be tough to develop a true "system-seller" as the system has been out for a long time and it's owner foundation is firm. For me personally, I think I expected a slightly bigger systems sales boost given the current pricing and that GTA IV could be a much bigger gateway title for the newer of the two systems. As opposed to saying this is the fault of either console, I actually feel like GTA buyers, and there were a lot, had already committed to at least one of the two consoles.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
As opposed to saying this is the fault of either console, I actually feel like GTA buyers, and there were a lot, had already committed to at least one of the two consoles.

I disagree. I think that there's a lot of people that just don't have $300-500 that they're willing to spend right now on these high-end consoles. The Wii appeals a bit more at $250 because it's marketed as a system that everyone can enjoy, so the cost can be mitigated by the thought that the entire family gets benefit from it. There will be a price-tipping point where people move to adopt the PS3/360, but we're not there yet.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #31
MJ4H
Coordinator

Probably around $50 for the PS3 for me ($25 for the 360).

Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #32
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Snaking is the act of skidding around the course as much as possible to give yourself lots of speed boosts. When you go into a skid (slide), hold the slide and push LRLRLRLRLR... on the d-pad until your sparks change to orange. Then when you release the slide, you get a speed boost. The LRLRLRLR... thing is very annoying to do. You get killed by good players if you dont do it, though.

Wow, that does sound annoying.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #33
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I wonder if the PS3 would have done better if Sony hadn't announced the 80 GB PS3/Dualshock 3/Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle. I remember reading that customers preferred the 80 GB over the 40 GB due to the former having ~80% backwards compatibility with PS2 games. That's what I'm waiting for before buying a PS3 and I wonder how many others feel the same way. If that hadn't been announced so early I'd have already bought one for MLB: the Show and GTA IV but who knows what percentage of potential customers pay attention to such things.

Anyway here's some more numbers I found:

PS2: ~42.0 million
NDS: ~19.5 million
PSP: ~11.5 million
360: ~10.1 million
Wii: ~9.5 million (Wii to become the USA leader one month ahead of time? NoA President Reggie Fils-Aime claimed they'd be top after June but if Nintendo ships even more consoles in May (for Wii Fit) than in April it could happen even sooner)
PS3: ~4.2 million

Misc. April software:

360 TOM CLANCY RAINBOW SIX VEGAS 2: ~105K
PSP GOD OF WAR CHAINS OLYMPUS: ~65K
NDS THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU: ~45K (I wish this would have sold a bit more, it's a fantastic RPG. $40 for a DS game is a bit much for some though)
NDS NINJA GAIDEN DRAGON SWORD ~25K

Rough LTDs:

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE: ~4.0 million
360 TOM CLANCY RAINBOW SIX VEGAS: ~855K
WII SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL: ~3.0 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: ~2.15 million
PSP GOD OF WAR CHAINS OLYMPUS: ~400K
Old 05-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #34
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

We got a Wii on release, but I've always planned on buying either a 360 or a PS3 at some point. Up to just a couple of weeks ago, I was leaning toward picking up a PS3 in August or so.

But with more and more quality games coming out for the Wii (recently I ordered Mario Kart, Pro Evolution Soccer, Wii Fit and Boom Blox), I'm starting to think that I might just skip the 360 and PS3 altogether. I didn't feel this way six months ago, but now I've got plenty of innovative stuff to play on the Wii.

I wonder if there are more gamers out there who are starting to feel the same way, i.e., who looked at the Wii as a secondary console but are starting to feel that it might become their one and only console this generation.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I had a dream last night about getting a Wii. It may be time...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #36
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

Would a Wii dream be considered a wet dream?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #37
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

SI

With any kind of effort I'm sure you'll be able to find one next week. There should be loads in stores for the launch of Wii Fit.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #38
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I wonder if the PS3 would have done better if Sony hadn't announced the 80 GB PS3/Dualshock 3/Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle. I remember reading that customers preferred the 80 GB over the 40 GB due to the former having ~80% backwards compatibility with PS2 games. That's what I'm waiting for before buying a PS3 and I wonder how many others feel the same way.

Raises hand. I could be tempted to buy the 40 GB, since I still have a PS2 with a Best Buy warranty on it, but I've waited this long, so I might as well wait til June 12. I do wish it had a different pack in game tho.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #39
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I wonder if the PS3 would have done better if Sony hadn't announced the 80 GB PS3/Dualshock 3/Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle. I remember reading that customers preferred the 80 GB over the 40 GB due to the former having ~80% backwards compatibility with PS2 games. That's what I'm waiting for before buying a PS3 and I wonder how many others feel the same way. If that hadn't been announced so early I'd have already bought one for MLB: the Show and GTA IV but who knows what percentage of potential customers pay attention to such things.

It's a good point. When my 360 broke before GTA IV came out we almost got a PS3 but decided to hold off because the bundle in June would be much better to get then the current PS3 being sold and made the 40 GB not worth getting to me. We got the 360 fixed and who knows if I get the PS3 in June? Maybe, maybe not.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #40
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:

SI

I was disappointed in my purchase after the 12-month mark. I just hadn't seen quality games that I thought I would enjoy.

But over the past six months that's completely turned around. Some genres are still pretty weak, though, so I'd definitely take a look at the games available for the Wii if you tend to play games in only one or two genres.

If you like a lot of different genres or if you like innovative gameplay, then I think you'll be very happy with the purchase.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #41
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As little as I'm playing my PS2 these days (GH, and NCAA '07 when the football bug bites), and as much as I'm playing the Wii (mostly for boxing, as a workout thing, and we're getting Wii Fit), I seriously doubt I'll be buying a PS3 or 360 unless the price comes way down. I'm still holding out hope that I'll be gifted a 360, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm hoping the NCAA game for the Wii gets good in the next 2-3 years so I can move on from '07, but honestly, I still enjoy that game just fine.

Same here. I still fire up the old Xbox to play NCAA and Madden 07 for my football fix. I only have Wii Sports right now, but will get a couple more games when the incentive check comes in. I hope NCAA/Madden 09 on Wii will be good, but I don't mind playing the Xbox still.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:44 AM   #42
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I've canvassed all around the Philippines for a good PS3 bundle, and I've been able to get the following:

40GB PS3, 2 Controllers, and 2 games of my choice (NBA2k8 and GTAIV most likely) - the entire bundle costs $550, tax included.

Is that good enough?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I've canvassed all around the Philippines for a good PS3 bundle, and I've been able to get the following:

40GB PS3, 2 Controllers, and 2 games of my choice (NBA2k8 and GTAIV most likely) - the entire bundle costs $550, tax included.

Is that good enough?

Seems like a pretty good deal. Are you going to buy the North American games from PlayAsia, or do you have an import store nearby?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Analysis article on April console sales numbers..........

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...10535&Itemid=2
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #45
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Seems like a pretty good deal. Are you going to buy the North American games from PlayAsia, or do you have an import store nearby?

Over here, there's only one store I go to to solve all my gaming needs.

http://www.datablitz.com.ph/

They only show the PC games on their site, but they also carry all consoles and their respective games. And yes, they usually carry the North American versions.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #46
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Over here, there's only one store I go to to solve all my gaming needs.

http://www.datablitz.com.ph/

They only show the PC games on their site, but they also carry all consoles and their respective games. And yes, they usually carry the North American versions.

Nice. Sounds like a good setup to pick up the NA games.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #47
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nice. Sounds like a good setup to pick up the NA games.

Heck, they even carry Europa Universalis: Rome

Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Haze is getting a wide range of reviews. Scores go from 4.5/10 all the way up to 9/10. In the end, it looks just about like what was expected......a pretty average game. There were far too many delays in the process to give anyone a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #49
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like Haze is getting a wide range of reviews. Scores go from 4.5/10 all the way up to 9/10. In the end, it looks just about like what was expected......a pretty average game. There were far too many delays in the process to give anyone a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Average? Not according to Tom Chick. Yikes.

http://www.quartertothree.com/inhouse/news/441/

Haze + You = out there in the cold

Okay, it's after midnight so the embargo is lifted on the review copies of Haze that went out last week.

I've played through the whole thing and as much as it pains me to say this -- I've loved most everything these developers have been doing, and I wish them all the success in the world -- Haze is utter and complete tripe. If I can prevent just one of you from throwing away money on this underdone turd of a shooter, I will be happy.

I'll have a full review online somewhere in about a week, but I care enough about you guys, and I know that enough of you guys are Timesplitters fans like me, that I just had to warn you, before it was too late. Heck, get Dark Sector, or that cool Viking game, or that cool time travel one whose name I can never remember. But trust me: this is not the shooter you're looking for.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Average? Not according to Tom Chick. Yikes.

http://www.quartertothree.com/inhouse/news/441/

Yeah, that one is similar to the IGN review. I've also seen a 6, 8, and 9 for the game. Judging from what I saw on the demo and from what I've heard from those who have already played it, sounds like a 6 or so is just about right. As I said, an average game. It's a shame, but everyone knew it wasn't going to be a very good game. There were far too many question marks. I think the developers just finally reached the point where they just decided to release it and move on to other things because it wasn't getting any better.