Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
larrymcg421
Head Coach

2007 College Football Week 4 Thread

Didn't see one started yet...

My Miami Hurricanes looking good at halftime. 21-0 lead. Dominating the line on both sides. Kyle Wright is 15-19-176 yards, 1 TD, and 0 picks. Kirby who?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Miami is not playing tonight. We are taking it to Texas A&M.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Celeval
Pro Starter

ACC pride?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This is the best performance from Miami since 2002.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This is making Oklahoma look better and better...
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
+1

Miami looks complete, not a fluky win.
Be interesting to see how the rest of thier season goes.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

BTW who coated this ball with sun tan lotion?
No one can hold onto the damn thing
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
miami_fan
Coordinator

Not sure what to make of this one. I am very happy with the way they played but I don't know how much of it is the Canes play, or how overrated A & M was.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
This is the best performance from Miami since 2002.

That game at Blacksburg in 2005 when VT was ranked #3 or so was more impressive than last night. I bring that up cause that's what I thought of right away watching the Canes last night. It seems like when Miami is motivated, they have usually been pretty awesome. The question, I guess, is why have they seemingly only played motivated a couple of times a year the past few years.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
That game at Blacksburg in 2005 when VT was ranked #3 or so was more impressive than last night. I bring that up cause that's what I thought of right away watching the Canes last night. It seems like when Miami is motivated, they have usually been pretty awesome. The question, I guess, is why have they seemingly only played motivated a couple of times a year the past few years.

I blame Larry Coker. He's may be the nicest guy in the world, but he wasn't cut out to be a head coach. There was no discipline and no fear of him from the players. If they went out and sucked practice wasn't going to change and he wasn't going to chew their asses out for stupid mistakes.

Despite that, I have all the respect in the world for Coker. He truely seemed like he cared about his players. However, he was more of a grandfather than a head coach.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The reason Coker had so much success early on was that he was the opposite of Butch Davis. Davis was a very strict coach who instilled a ton of discipline in his guys. When he left, Coker came in and let the guys loose and they started dominating. The problem was that the younger guys weren't getting any discipline, and you could see that both in the performance and behavior decrease that led to the brawl incidents in his last couple years.

That win over #3 VT in Blacksburg may have been a more impressive win, but what I loved about this one so much was that it was achieved on all sides of the ball. That game was mostly a dominating defensive performance against VT, but this one we did everything - passing, running, defense.

If Shannon does bring the Canes back to elite status, I think people will look at this win as the game that started it.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I think that A&M loss said a lot more about A&M than it did about Oklahoma. Awful embarrassing for the Big 12 for A&M to fall on their face like that on national television.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Newly ranked and #25 Missouri Tigers taking on #14 Illinois State this weekend.

OK, they're ranked in I-AA, but Mizzou plans on avoiding getting Wolverine-d at home.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think that A&M loss said a lot more about A&M than it did about Oklahoma. Awful embarrassing for the Big 12 for A&M to fall on their face like that on national television.

I think it says a lot about both. You can beat an athletic defense with solid balance on offense like Oklahoma. You can't beat an athletic defense playing option football (see: Oklahoma 85-87). Oklahoma has solid play both running and passing, and that is anchored by the offensive line. Miami has proven they can beat a solid team that doesn't have the offensive firepower of OU. Not too many teams have the explosive offense that OU does to go along with a solid defense.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #15
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It should also be noted that Oklahoma faced a Miami team that started Kirby Freeman, who was one of the worst starting QB's in all of division 1-A. When we brought Kyle Wright in, he brought us back and it was a 21-13 game. Ineplicably, Wright was benched again and it was a blowout.

Now certainly Oklahoma would have still won that game, but it would not have been quite the same blowout if they had faced a Kyle Wright with a game under his belt.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Seton Hill hosts Glenville State this week. Glenville State upset one of the top teams in Division II (Shepherd) last week, so this is not looking good for the Griffins.

WVIAC FOOTBALL!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

UTEP will almost certainly rebound from their embarrassing loss to NMSU last week with a pasting of that football powerhouse, Texas Southern. I have no clue why this goliath match isn't being televised nationally.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #18
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Tomorrow at 7am I am leaving for the 4.5 hr to the Big House. I hope this is the year the Nittany Lions break the curse.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #19
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Tomorrow at 7am I am leaving for the 4.5 hr to the Big House. I hope this is the year the Nittany Lions break the curse.

Lucky you. I don't get to see Michigan play until next week, at Northwestern.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Seton Hill hosts Glenville State this week. Glenville State upset one of the top teams in Division II (Shepherd) last week, so this is not looking good for the Griffins.

WVIAC FOOTBALL!

Go Seton Hill!
Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #21
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Only game in town tonight is #4 Oklahoma visiting Tulsa (well almost, the College of New Jersey is visiting I-AA LaSalle tonight as well).

TU can put up some points, but can they stay with the Sooners? Please keep in mind that a Big 12 South Powerhouse (Texas) paid a visit to a CUSA School (UCF, my Alma Mater) just a few days ago and almost got knocked off.

Tulsa is good... The OU Defense is a little scary though. But this is their first road game of the season.

Predictions?

Last edited by MylesKnight : 09-21-2007 at 04:04 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #22
vex
Grizzled Veteran

OU 48
Tulsa 13
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #23
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Boy, OU really has a humdinger of a schedule this year.

EDIT: Forgot they played Miami...I take back my snide remark!

Last edited by Karlifornia : 09-21-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #24
Huckleberry
College Starter

Oklahoma >> Texas
UCF ~= Tulsa

Oklahoma 41
Tulsa 20

(Late meaningless scores)

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mark Schlabach doesn't get it perfect, but I think he does a darned good job writing about Larry Munson's absence from the UGA broadcast booth this weekend for only the second time in the past 42 seasons.

Here's the link for those who haven't seen it yet.

I despise them damned Dawgs, but Munson is a whole different matter. There may have been some technically better (hell, I know there are) but I don't believe any have been more integral to their team or even to an entire state.

And I'll also wish his temporary substitute Scott Howard well in a pretty much impossible situation.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #26
sooner333
College Starter

OU got 'em 62-21. I always love the people who complain about 41 point victories too. Yeah, Tulsa had over 350 in the air...but it's always that way for us against decent spread teams, and the only time we've lost was when we went to Tech in '05.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #27
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
OU got 'em 62-21. I always love the people who complain about 41 point victories too. Yeah, Tulsa had over 350 in the air...but it's always that way for us against decent spread teams, and the only time we've lost was when we went to Tech in '05.

I was definitely impressed by the Oklahoma offense. I knew Tulsa would be able to move the ball some, so that didn't really surprise me. I didn't realize how dominant the Sooner O-line would be, though. There were Tulsa d-lineman and linebackers down hurt (or just worn out) almost every other play in the second half.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #28
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I was definitely impressed by the Oklahoma offense. I knew Tulsa would be able to move the ball some, so that didn't really surprise me. I didn't realize how dominant the Sooner O-line would be, though. There were Tulsa d-lineman and linebackers down hurt (or just worn out) almost every other play in the second half.

The crazy thing is the only senior starters on the offense are Patrick (RB), Zazlaw (FB) and Finley (TE). Finley is one of three TE's that get significant time, though and Zazlaw only plays about half the plays, if that. Although, you can pretty much count on Malcolm Kelly going out early at wideout.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #29
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

ESPN cross-promotion once again.

I thought the concept of College Gameday was to be at the big game of the day each week, except for those rare circumstances such as Army/Navy a few years back.

Now, the biggest game of the day is South Carolina/LSU, this afternoon from Baton Rouge. But Gameday is set from Tuscaloosa this morning, as UGA/Alabama play tonight on you guessed it, ESPN. No matter that both South Carolina and LSU are higher ranked than either UGA or 'Bama.

If the network wants to promote itself so hard, fine. Just come out and say it though.

Anyway, the $EC has some very solid matchups today... Should be a good one.

Notre Dame, good luck to keeping the 0-for-2007 streak alive.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #30
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post

If the network wants to promote itself so hard, fine. Just come out and say it though.

They have. Herbstreet has said it on a number of occasions, and so has Corso. They'll take the biggest games, but if the biggest is "hugely bigger" than a game on the network, then they'll go with a network game. No biggie really.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #31
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I wish, when they're listing what channels/times games are on, they would just say that the game is on CBS, or NBC, or whatever. Very irritating.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #32
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Would CBS even let the ESPN crew sit outside the stadium of one of their games, anyway?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure CBS could deny them access to the outside of the stadium.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #34
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Go Bulls.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm not sure CBS could deny them access to the outside of the stadium.

Not directly I wouldn't think. But the schools could likely control access based on conference TV agreements and the like.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

UVA 14-7 over GT late in the 1st quarter.

edit: Make that 21-7 after what looks like a pick six (gamecast kind of screwed up atm)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-22-2007 at 11:49 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
ESPN cross-promotion once again.

I thought the concept of College Gameday was to be at the big game of the day each week, except for those rare circumstances such as Army/Navy a few years back.

Now, the biggest game of the day is South Carolina/LSU, this afternoon from Baton Rouge. But Gameday is set from Tuscaloosa this morning, as UGA/Alabama play tonight on you guessed it, ESPN. No matter that both South Carolina and LSU are higher ranked than either UGA or 'Bama.

No offense, but this is the dumbest ESPN-related rant I've ever read. You could literally close your eyes and point and find a better example of why ESPN sucks than what you came up with. Every single location of College Gameday has been at an ESPN/ABC game. Why the hell would they ever set up shop at a game on another network? Does the FOX screw sit outside Foxboro when the Patriots and Colts play?

Tell the SEC to give back CBS' money and then you can have Gameday.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #38
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
UVA 14-7 over GT late in the 1st quarter.

And now 21-7. I really feel for Tech fans. This is a good team. I just can't understand how Gailey can't do a better job with them.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #39
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I know it's early but damn...

Syracuse had 140 yards passing in the 1st Quarter and are currently tied at Louisville, 7-7 early in the 2nd.

Syracuse is awful folks.

That makes Louisville's Defense _______?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

...horrible enough to give up 42 points to Middle Tennessee State?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:13 PM   #41
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Logan, in response to your comments, I will say that up until the past couple of years, ESPN's College Gameday was broadcast from the location of the day's biggest game, regardless of the network affiliation for said game.

This has changed, and we all know why.

ESPN has a long list of things wrong with it, this is just another example, even if this may be a dumb one in your obviously very humble opinion.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #42
molson
General Manager

I don't have a problem with the ESPN thing, why would they give huge AM hype to a game on another network? That makes no sense. They don't exist as some sort of non-profit service for sports fans.

Syracuse now up by 2 touchdowns though Louisville is driving at the end of the first half.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #43
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Ball State tied with Nebraska 7-7 midway through the 2nd. BSU is outplaying NU so far.

A couple of teams letting down after tough losses last week (Louisville & Nebraska so far).
Old 09-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #44
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Jon: YOu know the game is on ESPNU right?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

RPI -- yeah, but my son has commandeered the TV down here for more than an hour (PS2 is down here atm).
Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #46
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

If we had won last week I'm guessing that TV woulnd't be quite so easily commandeered.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #47
Logan
Head Coach

Fuckin Louisville making the BE look bad.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
If we had won last week I'm guessing that TV woulnd't be quite so easily commandeered.

Heh, I might have been ready to force him to take it away after it became 21-7

Now 21-20 UVA btw for those following only through this thread.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #49
dime
High School JV

no, it's just that the Big East IS bad.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #50
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Nah, the Big East is having a good year. It might just be that Louisville is the 4th (or even 5th after Cincinnatti) best team in the conference.