Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Modding stuff lately....

First, let me recap the boxings/bannings/warnings since the new system came to be.

1. A banned user, (Play2Win) posts under a new name. Automatic banning. Always has been. No-brainer. Jeeber D catches it, and lowers the hammer.

2. (This is the part that most of you don't know). A discussion gets over the line. The mods discuss it privately, and decide NOT to be hasty, so they privately ask both primary parties to stand down. Both primary parties stand down, no further action taken.

3. FN posts from a banned user (Play2Win), and gets edited by me. As several have pointed out, this isn't the first time this has happened. FN was not disciplined for this, but was specifically told not to do it again. (Exact words: "Everyone, henceforth before posting anything from a banned or suspended user, it needs to be run by me first.") LESS THAN 24 HOURS LATER, he does it again, so wademoore, (with the approval of every mod who was around at the time, by the way) suspends him for 5 days. Now, you may agree or disagree with the idea behind the warning I issued him, but that's immaterial. If you break a known law in real life because you disagree with it, it's called "civil disobedience," and you usually go to jail for it. If you want to view FN's act of posting from a banned user as some sort of "civil disobedience," then that's your prerogative. However, it is utterly laughable that anyone can question that when someone ignores a warning and repeats the exact same behavior on the very same day, then there are only two choices: board anarchy, or some form of penalty.

Two facts that I think are important to note here:

1. Other than warning FN, I had basically nothing to do with the three actions above, other than after-the-fact "Do you think we're on the right track here?" questions from the mods to me.
2. IF I WERE STILL DOING EVERYING UNILATERALLY, THE ABOVE ACTIONS ARE *EXACTLY* THE SAME ONES I WOULD HAVE TAKEN!

So, to recap, the "overbearing new mods" have issued two automatic-no-brainer punishments and made one decision to give people a chance to calm down and back off, and some of you are going nuts.

I really don't get it at all. I really don't.

I'm pretty busy today, and won't have time to respond much, but you can use this thread if you want to vent, or if you feel the need to contact me privately, know that it will likely be this evening before you get any response.

--Ben

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
So, to recap, the "overbearing new mods" have issued two automatic-no-brainer punishments and made one decision to give people a chance to calm down and back off, and some of you are going nuts.

I really don't get it at all. I really don't.

Because the new system allows people to see the process in action, and they feel that that gives them a right to comment on the process. I understand the mods' desire to do these things in public so as to demonstrate that they are not dictators sometimes. We all know that sunshine is the best disinfectant. And in public life, I am all for more and more disclosure.

But you are not the government, and none of us have a right to know what is going on behind closed doors. It might not be as "fair" to not let us see behind the curtain--but you don't owe us fairness. Just run the board well. You borrow too much trouble when you start showing us how the engine works.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

People just lke to bitch about mods.

Cause they would always know the best thing to do.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola--"You" there being plural, addressed to all the mods, not just SkyDog.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97

++

The thread can end now.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97

Cause they would always know the best thing to do.

Ike Turner?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
y'all can be such a cabal of dictators at times..

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

+10 literacy points for use of the word "cabal" in a sentence
Old 03-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

" 2. IF I WERE STILL DOING EVERYING UNILATERALLY, THE ABOVE ACTIONS ARE *EXACTLY* THE SAME ONES I WOULD HAVE TAKEN!"

Then, I'm sorry to say, Ben but you've become as piss poor a moderator as those you chose.

It's time that you either drop the personal agendas you have with certain posters or at least apply the rules evenly across the board. You've cut the liberal wing of this forum slack to infinity & beyond and I believe that you've done it in a misguided attempt to prove that you're not too conservative yourself. Here's a novel approach I'd suggest: Treat everybody on both sides of the aisle the same way. Period.

If that turns out to be viewed as harsh, fine.
It that turns out to be viewed as lenient, fine.
But consistency is sorely needed.

Right now, the only thing that appears to be consistent is those who are the subject of some personal agenda/vendetta are consistently hammered & those who have become sacred cows,especially those who are darlings of the left wing of this forum, or those whom taking action against would upset our precious liberal contingent can pretty much do as they please and MOST especially if they direct their actions at a conservative member of the forum.

There's a lot of bullshit here Ben, and some of it is of your own making (no matter how good or noble or whatever your intentions might be) and it's time that you either get it under control or step the fuck down. And the last thing on earth this place needed was for you to add more of the same to the mix, which appears to be exactly what you've done.

Maybe it's time that you consider putting this place out of its misery altogether, an option I'd prefer than to have things remain the same or get any worse (which is pretty much always a possibility).

Sincerely,
Jon
Old 03-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #11
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

wow
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

man, did I pick the wrong clusterfuck of a thread to stumble into...
Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #13
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Of course, I disagree with Jon. Jesse springs to mind, for instance.

BTW, those of you who are re-thinking capsicum's banning (and maybe going over her posting history) need to remember that she deleted a lot of her posts including, memorably, an entire thread. It was many of these posts that prompted the bulk of the ire directed at her. Unfortunately, due to her actions, we no longer have this "evidence".
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Since it comes from a vitriolic guy who gets more slack cut for him than virtually anyone on the board, I have a hard time taking anything Jon says seriously anymore.

And if you're so righteously offended by what goes down here, why do you stay?

Last edited by WSUCougar : 03-09-2006 at 09:04 AM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
... that she deleted a lot of her posts including, memorably, an entire thread. It was many of these posts that prompted the bulk of the ire directed at her. Unfortunately, due to her actions, we no longer have this "evidence".

Remember, I saw a lot of those threads live as they happened (again, I won't claim "all", but the whole scenario last such a relatively short time that I feel pretty comfortable about "most"). So the lack of "evidence" isn't any sort of handicap for everyone, I dare say many of those who give a damn on either side watched a lot of it live.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #16
Huckleberry
College Starter

JIMG, you're not very good at playing the "my people are being persecuted" board role. I'd recommend giving it up before it gets any worse.

The idea that left-wing people are any more protected than right-wing people around here is a joke. I've noticed that people that post like morons run a much higher risk of getting in trouble regardless of their flavor.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar

There's still some value here, unfortunately just not nearly as much as there could be. That's a pretty clear cut, straightforward simple answer I believe.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #18
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Someone's gonna go IKE Turner in here in a minute; I can feel it.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 03-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #19
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jon: I hope you get hit by a bus.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
The idea that left-wing people are any more protected than right-wing people around here is a joke.

And I disagree wholeheartedly. And question the reasoning/judgemental ability of anyone who hasn't figured that out already.

Then again, Dan Rather believes he's "mainstream", so I guess it isn't hard to imagine that some people won't get it.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #21
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
man, did I pick the wrong clusterfuck of a thread to stumble into...

Don't know why, but amidst all the serious stuff, this little gem has me laughing like crazy...

FM
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Jon: I hope you get hit by a bus.

Love you too sweetums.
As long as you don't procreate, I think your existence won't really do much harm, you really don't seem relevant enough or capable enough to do any damage otherwise.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #23
Coder
College Prospect

Jon, to be honest, I think you're more or less proving that SkyDog is "on line" rather than "off line".. why? Because you're feeling that he's been more benevolent against liberals, while liberals feel he's being more forgiving when it comes to conservatives.

I've been vocal against some of his decisions and my criticism has been basically what you're saying.. to quote you:

Quote:
It's time that you either drop the personal agendas you have with certain posters or at least apply the rules evenly across the board.

But it's funny how the two sides perceive the same thing but from different angles

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #24
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
You've cut the liberal wing of this forum slack to infinity & beyond and I believe that you've done it in a misguided attempt to prove that you're not too conservative yourself.

I haven't laughed this hard since the Maximum Football thread was at its peak. Thanks, Jon.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #25
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar

I understand that Franklinnoble has a forum....

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
... while liberals feel he's being more forgiving when it comes to conservatives.

But since that group is right no more frequently than a stopped clock ...

I get what you're trying to say but their inability to be right about anything with any frequency kind of kills the validity of it, y'know.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #27
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's time that you either drop the personal agendas you have with certain posters or at least apply the rules evenly across the board. You've cut the liberal wing of this forum slack to infinity & beyond and I believe that you've done it in a misguided attempt to prove that you're not too conservative yourself.
lol

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

you guys should just arm wrestle
Old 03-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #29
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
But since that group is right no more frequently than a stopped clock ...

Well, I guess they are right at least twice a day then. That's more credit than he usually gives them.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #30
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
There's still some value here, unfortunately just not nearly as much as there could be. That's a pretty clear cut, straightforward simple answer I believe.

And this is because of the moderation? It's been that pervasive in your FOFC life? I find that very had to accept.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #31
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jon: I'm tired of the whole "Wah wah my pussy hurts" routine. Why do you insist on looking at the world as out to get you? Over and over and over you go back to the same tired argument of "Liberals are out to destroy everything I love!" Its gotten to a level of paranoina that probably needs professional help.

Its a message board. Liberals get boxed and banned. Conservatives get boxed and banned. Asshats of all stripes get boxed and banned. Do I agree with every decision? No. Do I think Skydog is out to appease liberals? Fucking laughable.

Now lets see if you can refrain from wishing me death. My advice would be to back out of the thread and buy your new home. Enjoy some of your life, Jon. It seems from the outside that you're blessed with a good family and good job. Not everything has to be soaked in anger.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #32
Coder
College Prospect

My take on this is that we shouldn't ban people left and right based on their political affiliations, it should be all about if they're doing harm or not. Conservative or Liberal shouldn't matter..

I don't have a problem with political threads or opinions, other than the fact that unfortunately they have a tendency to bring out the worst in people, and namecalling usually ensues after two people have different opinion on a matter.

I see great FOFC contributors on both sides of the fences here, which makes me a bit worried when this becomes a fight between the two sides.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #33
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
you guys should just arm wrestle

in a tank with sharks with laser beams attached to their frickin' heads TO THE DEATH!
Old 03-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #34
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Remember, I saw a lot of those threads live as they happened (again, I won't claim "all", but the whole scenario last such a relatively short time that I feel pretty comfortable about "most"). So the lack of "evidence" isn't any sort of handicap for everyone, I dare say many of those who give a damn on either side watched a lot of it live.
As I see it, no one on this board gets more slack than you. No one on this board, outside of maybe Grantdawg, is seen as more of "One of Ben's Boys", than you. There are a number of people at this board that would have liked to have seen you suspended or banned at one time or another.

I like that you are here. I think you provide a good foil for a lot of the general opinions without being a out and out troll. Make no mistake about it though...if Ben moderated the way you accuse him of moderating - or if any of the other moderators took that approach, you'd be gone already.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #35
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Holy clusterfuck, batman.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #36
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
in a tank with sharks with laser beams attached to their frickin' heads TO THE DEATH!

It would be far more manly than this.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #37
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I see great FOFC contributors on both sides of the fences here, which makes me a bit worried when this becomes a fight between the two sides.
Is it like when your parents are fighting?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #38
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
It would be far more manly than this.

Ice Weasels then?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #39
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army

Cue Civil War music...
Old 03-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #40
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army

I wouldn't know.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #41
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think when you have to resort to a label in your arguments almost every time, it shows how limited your thinking must be. With Jon, it's always "liberals" this or that. Go back to your cave and eat some squirrels or rats that you half-cooked on a stick. You'll feel better.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #42
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As I see it, no one on this board gets more slack than you
I always ranked him #2.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #43
rkmsuf
Head Coach

"I was initially hurt by his words. He said some mean awful things..."

"Did you injure your body in any way."

"Yes, then I fell down some stairs and bashed my head and my shoes fell off"
Old 03-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #44
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Jon: I'm tired of the whole "Wah wah my pussy hurts" routine. Why do you insist on looking at the world as out to get you? Over and over and over you go back to the same tired argument of "Liberals are out to destroy everything I love!" Its gotten to a level of paranoina that probably needs professional help.

Its a message board. Liberals get boxed and banned. Conservatives get boxed and banned. Asshats of all stripes get boxed and banned. Do I agree with every decision? No. Do I think Skydog is out to appease liberals? Fucking laughable.

Now lets see if you can refrain from wishing me death. My advice would be to back out of the thread and buy your new home. Enjoy some of your life, Jon. It seems from the outside that you're blessed with a good family and good job. Not everything has to be soaked in anger.

This sums up my opinion 100%. I have never really had a one on one conversation with JIMGA on any topic, but I have been involved in quite a few topics about advertising, sports, or other areas where I appreciated and enjoyed his input. Never had any problems at all.

But since I think Bush is doing a bad job he wishes my ilk (never specifically me, but people who think like me) dead. I really think he might have some issues also. And I don't mean this is a ripping on him as "You got issues man" but in a seriously concerned for your very strange political views way.

Plus I have to agree that him and one other poster seem to get more leeway than anyone. And I don't really care, but his crazy post above seems to be a bad case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited by panerd : 03-09-2006 at 09:33 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #45
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
"I was initially hurt by his words. He said some mean awful things..."

"Did you injure your body in any way."

"Yes, then I fell down some stairs and bashed my head and my shoes fell off"

Your such a sizzle chest Sol!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #46
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
My take on this is that we shouldn't ban people left and right based on their political affiliations, it should be all about if they're doing harm or not. Conservative or Liberal shouldn't matter..

It doesn't matter. If someone feels that it did, it won't anymore.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #47
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14
Your such a sizzle chest Sol!!

see ya little later there nitz
Old 03-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't even see him as unintelligent. It's just that his anti-liberal bias taints his entire worldview. Everything is seen through the anti-liberal glasses.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #49
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
As I see it, no one on this board gets more slack than you.

Absolutely 100% true. You have posted more hate on this board than anyone here. For you to whine about how the liberals are coddled around here is a joke. If I didn't know you better, I'd think your post was an attempt at satire - a little poking fun at yourself and what you constantly get away with here. Alas, I think that you were being serious.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #50
saldana
Pro Starter

ben, i dont think people have a problem with either of the two actions you described above...from everything i have seen, there has been widespread support for both those boxing/bannings...the issue has been the actions that HAVE NOT happened...the fact that blatant insults and personal attacks on former board members are unpunished, but mr bigglesworth is sitting in the box for calling you a fuc**** a**hole twice....i know that is my beef at this point.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote